Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum BMW delete front passenger side support

02-27-2021, 04:42 PM   #1
twssas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi, 2018 X5, 2014 Z4

BMW delete front passenger side support

Just got a email from my dealer on a m340 X drive I have ordered, and BMW has deleted front passenger width adjustment 482, with a $100 credit, and deleted front passenger lumbar support, ZLF, with a $175 credit.

I am now waiting for a call from my CA to discuss.

What gives? BMW running short of parts?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 05:28 PM   #2
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.b View Post
Lots of parts shortages on the X5/X6 - related to the sound system and HUD. I guess those are making their way on to the G20

I believe the shortages are related to semi-conductor shortages, which all these electronic parts use. But who knows where in the supply chain the back log is.

Sorry to hear, that's ridiculously low amounts of credit for the inconvenience. Can you check your BMW web 'my garage'? Go under track status and under standard features - in the list it should show either 'front lumbar support' or 'front lumbar support delete'. Does it also show deleted there?

Cheers,

M
All it says is Lumbar Support so likely it will continue to say that since it is still available for the driver side.

It looks like the HUD report was false and the poster misunderstood what their dealer was telling them or dealer made a mistake. Of course, this parts shortage is only at the beginning and likely to get worse before getting better.
      02-27-2021, 05:34 PM   #3
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

I checked the standard features, and it doesnt show deleted in "my garage". But the vehicle inquiry report my CA sent me shows deleted for both the front passenger width adjustment and the front passenger lumbar support.

Active Protection
Alarm System
Ambient Lighting
Auto-dimming mirrors
CarPlay / Android Auto Compat.
Comfort Access keyless entry
Connected Package Pro
ConnectedDrive Services
Daytime driving lights
Decoding for no-dazzle hgh bm
Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
Enhanced USB & Bluetooth
Increased top speed limiter
Live Cockpit Pro (incl. Navi)
Lumbar support
Oak matte finish wood trim
Power Front Seats
SensaTec Dashboard
SiriusXM Radio w/ 1 year sub.
Space-saver spare
Storage package
Tire pressure monitor
Universal garage-door opener
WiFi Hotspot with comp 3 M
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 08:16 PM   #4
TurtleBoy
General
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i,2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by m.b View Post
@TurtleBoy Ahh that's interesting, re: driver and passenger side lumbar support. Any idea if it was showing a passenger lumbar support feature before?
No, it always has shown just Lumbar support. That is what shows on mine and it is not effected by the shortage.
      02-27-2021, 09:02 PM   #5
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

Well I have two choices. Reject the purchase, or accept the deleted items, and hope by the scheduled production date the supply chain recovers. (Which is the first week of April)

I spoke with my CA who I’ve been buying cars from for the last 17 years and have decided to accept it as is.

My wife is the primary driver, so it’s really not a big impact, other than being super annoying and then some.

My dealer has had several lost sales recently due to the HK stereo issues on the X5/6. People have went down the street and bought Mercedes instead. Guess their supply chain is working. At least I’m getting everything except the side bolsters and the adjustable lumbar. This pandemic has had a far reaching effect.

Again I hope by April Things might change to the positive. If it goes the other way, then I’ll have to reevaluate. Perhaps I could call BMWNA and whine, but don’t know how far that will get me.

Disappointing.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:52 AM   #6
Rodan
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 6MT LBB M2

I was ready to pull the trigger on an allocation and they mentioned missing parts on seats exactly as you described:
48Z remove front passenger width adjustment
ZLF remove front passenger lumbar support

Wonder when the shortage of parts will be resolved. I will likely not move forward with order until this is fixed.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 12:01 PM   #7
Rux
Captain
Rep
Drives: Little of this, little of that

Garage List
2024 BMW G42  [0.00]
2022 BMW G82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twssas View Post
Well I have two choices. Reject the purchase, or accept the deleted items, and hope by the scheduled production date the supply chain recovers. (Which is the first week of April)

I spoke with my CA who I’ve been buying cars from for the last 17 years and have decided to accept it as is.

My wife is the primary driver, so it’s really not a big impact, other than being super annoying and then some.

My dealer has had several lost sales recently due to the HK stereo issues on the X5/6. People have went down the street and bought Mercedes instead. Guess their supply chain is working. At least I’m getting everything except the side bolsters and the adjustable lumbar. This pandemic has had a far reaching effect.

Again I hope by April Things might change to the positive. If it goes the other way, then I’ll have to reevaluate. Perhaps I could call BMWNA and whine, but don’t know how far that will get me.

Disappointing.
Is this the same HK audio issues that plague the early production models of the 3/4 series? What kind of seats are you getting if they remove those options? I know they deleted the ventilated seat option form the 440i. Ventilated seats required the removal of the side bolster adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 02:56 PM   #8
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rux View Post
Is this the same HK audio issues that plague the early production models of the 3/4 series? What kind of seats are you getting if they remove those options? I know they deleted the ventilated seat option form the 440i. Ventilated seats required the removal of the side bolster adjustment.
I am told the passenger seat will get the same sport seat (but without the lumbar, or side bolster function) All other aspects of the sport seat will be operational. No impact to the driver seat
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodan View Post
I was ready to pull the trigger on an allocation and they mentioned missing parts on seats exactly as you described:
48Z remove front passenger width adjustment
ZLF remove front passenger lumbar support

Wonder when the shortage of parts will be resolved. I will likely not move forward with order until this is fixed.
My issue was with the passenger seat only. Drivers seat not impacted.

My build isnt until the first week of April. Always a hope. But this is wifes car, and seldom is anyone ever in the passenger seat.(and if there is, she is the passenger while I am driving) She has had her current 340 3 years now, and has yet to adust lumbar, or bolsters.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 10:00 PM   #10
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Could be related to the Texas outage. It resulted in a shortage of seat foam. Perhaps your seat isn't just a seat with a motor but maybe the foam inserts are different depending on type of seat and whether or not you have adjustable support?

It's been a weird year and a bit for consumer goods.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 02:41 AM   #11
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

After days of trying to make a deal work my dealer finally let me build an M340i Tanzanite to one of their allocation slots. Glad I scanned the build before I signed and noticed the passenger lumbar delete. When I asked about it he clarified that it is completely gone, not just replaced with a non-adjustable lumbar support.

I’m sorry but a $60k car without proper lumbar support is a non-starter for me. Dealer really ought to have disclosed this up front rather than wasting both our time.

Even more upsetting, I tried to go down the street to check out the Merc and they couldn’t even build me a C43.

Time to check SwapALease to get through this mess of a time.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 06:48 AM   #12
BlaSTiWi
Not new just quite
Rep
Drives: E60, F30, G22 & G80

Garage List
For me it's on the passenger side seat so not a deal breaker, always like to be on the driver seat since I custom ordered the last 4 of my BMWs and don't remember the last time I seat on the passenger side.

Now if it's effecting something like Live Cockpit and/or HK Sound System that could effect my deciding factor.

2024 BMW M3Cx G80 | Alpine White + Fiona Red |

2021 BMW M440i G22
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 07:38 AM   #13
Moonbags
Tourist
United_States
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M340xi

Yeah I'm married, wife gets last say here and she says no lumbar, no deal. 😶
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 09:08 AM   #14
RigaTony1982
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW Z4 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonbags View Post
Yeah I'm married, wife gets last say here and she says no lumbar, no deal. 😶
Not sure if you can find one on the lot to your specs (probably be hard if you are committed to Tanzanite), but assuming most of those have lumbar as this is a newer development.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2021, 12:42 PM   #15
twssas
Private First Class
Rep

Has anyone as of yet taken delivery of a vehicle with the passenger seat width, and passenger lumbar adjust deleted ?

As I have mentioned earlier, if the only issue is the deletion of the adjustments on the passenger seat, we can live with that. Wifes car, and her current 340, she has never adjusted either setting. (for that fact when I drive her car, I never adjust it either)

Just curious if the drivers seat and the passenger seat look identical.(I know, probably a really dumb question)

My CA told me they would be exactly the same, sans adjustments on the passenger seat.

As I am waiting, and waiting, and waiting for a ship, was reading this thread again, and made me start thinking about it again. (thus the dangers of coming to this board , re-reading threads, and overthinking things.)
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 10:26 AM   #16
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I think the importance of the width adjustment may depend upon how often you have a passenger and if it is the same passenger (e.g., a spouse) and, if so, how that person's body fits the seat without the width adjustment.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2021, 09:32 PM   #17
bimmermann88
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW g05

I'm also wondering if the deletion of the lumbar support will hurt the resale?!
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 04:46 PM   #18
seezur
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

Just got the same news after waiting a month for an allocation. BMW is not retrofitting cars the way some manufacturers are currently doing (e.g. Ford). Was told it’s cost prohibitive to add it in after the fact and the dealer is refusing to go lower on it (minus the $275 that I’m assuming BMW is giving all dealers). I’ll be canceling my order. Insane that a $69k car from a luxury manufacturer is pulling this. I’m pretty sure even the cheapest brands are doing IOUs in the face of this semiconductor shortage. Makes BMW look really bad.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:30 PM   #19
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi

I just placed an order this morning and it's a bummer for sure about the passenger lumbar delete, but realistically I doubt it will be an issue. **For me** I really mean for my wife, but we'll see. If she complains about it, I'm going to be super bummed.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 05:55 PM   #20
seezur
Rep
Drives: 2016 m235i

The fact that they are selling cars without passenger lumbar support is bad enough but my particular dealer not mentioning it in when I ordered in March when this has obviously been an issue since February is deceptive.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2021, 07:15 PM   #21
Cabrio Luv
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440i Cabriolet - on orde

Cancelled factory order

Absolutely and I'm still feeling totally bumped too, albeit with the understanding of the worldwide semi conductor shortage sage. But for BMW to simply not bother to do future retrofit at their dealers' level nor even advising customers like us who's been waiting with bated breath since our order went in. In my case, order for an M440i Cabriolet went in Feb 5. Didn't get a Prod # till 2 weeks later. Then when pressed, the dealer came back with a scheduled Week 16 Prod.
When I found out from following this forum that features and options are being deleted and shipped without even advising nor asking if we want to proceed with productions with missing options, I approached the dealer once again. Only to be told this time that Production for my order has been delayed now to Week 18!! Frustrated I asked if any options are being deleted on my build. Dealer don't know. They sent an email to BMW Canada to inquire. Confirmed the next day that both the Lumbar and Side bolster width adjustments for my passenger side will be deleted. Again, no offer of compensation nor whether they should proceed with the order. I find this attitude or stance by BMW to be rather high-handed.

I ended up cancelling the order for the Cabriolet. But I still wanted an M440i for the wonderful B58 powertrain and iDrive7 techs. The dealer happened to have a fully loaded Tanzanite Blue on Oyster M440iCoupe in stock and wasn't affected by any of the chip shortage issues when it was built in Jan or Feb. I just took delivery of it few days ago. Never been happier.
Attached Images

2021 - M440i RWD Cabriolet (cancelled order) Dravit Grey on Cognac
2021 - M440i xDrive Coupe TB/Oyster
Appreciate 2
      04-30-2021, 11:08 PM   #22
CarZen
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2021 430xi

This happened on my build as well (on a 430xi). Just to confirm - this is simply the electronic adjustable lumbar support?

My build took 3 weeks to get allocated and then when it did - there was a "different" M-Sport package which was basically the same with the exception of lumbar support. It was a couple hundred bucks cheaper. I would have preferred to have it but isn't a total deal breaker for me.

I'm just glad I was able to get the HK Radio - not having that would have been a no-go for me.
Appreciate 0