Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications 2021 Flashing.... Bad News for now...

03-02-2021, 03:42 PM   #89
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

CEL from JB4 with catless??

This sounds like a job for the electrical tape mod
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #90
gaoxing84
Rep
Drives: 318i G20

just installed my catless downpipe and jb4.

hoping for no CEL tomorrow when i get the car back from my workshop!
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2021, 12:17 PM   #91
e90nomore
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 21 M340I

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaoxing84 View Post
just installed my catless downpipe and jb4.

hoping for no CEL tomorrow when i get the car back from my workshop!
Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 10:52 AM   #92
gaoxing84
Rep
Drives: 318i G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90nomore View Post
Any luck?
sadly CEL for catless dp keeps coming on after every 30-50km of drive.
even tho i have a jb4 installed with passive delete of codes.

they really need to crack this dme man
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2021, 11:33 AM   #93
RoroBoost
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by H433x0n View Post
Really? That's odd.

both 2020 & 2021 use the Bosch MG1CS201 DME with the Tricore Aurix processor. I own a 2021 M340i and there's a 2020 M340i at work.

For the bootmode read/write exploit, this was patched by Bosch in ~August 2020. This was a global update for all of their ECUs, for all manufacturers (VAG, Mercedes, BMW, etc). This even effects new MEVD17 ECUs (previous gen Bosch ECU) like what's in the F87 M2. This was presumably to keep their customer's happy since they likely got the contract with various OEMs partially due to their updated/upgraded security features implemented in the MG1 family of ECUs.

If you or anybody has any questions about any of this feel free to ask.
So does M340s produced up to July 2020 should be good?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2021, 07:57 AM   #94
35MGR
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 3 series g20

any changes? my car produce after November 2020 I really want to do tune my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2021, 09:19 AM   #95
g20_b48
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35MGR View Post
any changes? my car produce after November 2020 I really want to do tune my car.
Me too mate. VRSF Catless downpipe been collecting dust..
Appreciate 1
Musaabi119.00
      05-22-2021, 10:48 PM   #96
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Had my DME pulled last week in attempt to bench unlock for bm3… no luck. My car is a 10/20 build date
      05-23-2021, 05:56 PM   #97
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01///G20///I20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
Had my DME pulled last week in attempt to bench unlock for bm3… no luck. My car is a 10/20 build date
Had a bone stock 2008-ish 4-door Honda Civic from pass me in Mexico as my car hit the limiter at 125. Didn’t even get the full 130 like most other non-performance optioned M340i’s....all I could do was let off the gas and put my head down in shame as he merged in front of me

At this point not even sure I’m going to keep the car unless they can flash the DME

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 2
chenry2355.50
      05-23-2021, 11:30 PM   #98
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana Clipper View Post
Had a bone stock 2008-ish 4-door Honda Civic from pass me in Mexico as my car hit the limiter at 125. Didn’t even get the full 130 like most other non-performance optioned M340i’s....all I could do was let off the gas and put my head down in shame as he merged in front of me

At this point not even sure I’m going to keep the car unless they can flash the DME
I hardly ever hit 125-130mph but I’ll be honest, I would feel the same way just because the M340 gets to that speed so quickly. Your story did make me chuckle a bit though and make me feel lucky I ordered my car with summer tires so I didn’t have to deal with the limiter.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 04:59 PM   #99
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:

I hear you. I'm keeping it for now and holding out after my recent track day. I hit the limiter while on track, however it's at my absolute latest braking zone at my local track. I suspect any longer of a straight and I'd not be satisfied but for now - it's livable.

Just going to work hard, see if I turn a good profit in some investments this year and if so - M3 upgrade may make sense once I see how the AWD version comes out performing.

Outside of that, this car is great all around. Still happy with my decision. Tunable or not (right now).
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2021, 10:55 PM   #100
BMuleW
Left lane please
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Just read this whole thread. Now I’m sad. I bought a ‘21 M340i fresh off the boat, sight unseen 2 weeks ago. It’s awesome but I want a tune. Still nothing?

Thank God my spec had the staggered performance tires. Need to verify it will exceed 130. .
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 07:08 AM   #101
kuzdu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 21 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMuleW View Post
Just read this whole thread. Now I’m sad. I bought a ‘21 M340i fresh off the boat, sight unseen 2 weeks ago. It’s awesome but I want a tune. Still nothing?

Thank God my spec had the staggered performance tires. Need to verify it will exceed 130. .
That was me to all excited and bam couldn't flash tune. Don't worry you will be ok get the JB4, intake and downpipe then run an E30 mix and you will be good to go.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 06:48 PM   #102
jalkster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3MC

Quote:
Just read this whole thread. Now I'm sad. I bought a '21 M340i fresh off the boat, sight unseen 2 weeks ago. It's awesome but I want a tune. Still nothing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalkster View Post
No luck yet.
      05-25-2021, 07:31 PM   #103
ruderegime
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M3 Coupe E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuel-It! View Post
Other threads on it. Use a JB4 for now to have fun. Add in a back end flash map later once they crack it. They always crack them eventually!

JB4 is really easy to install. The basic setup is 3 connections, TMAP, MAP and CANbus (the real difference maker tuning wise!).
piggyback is awesome for this situation but I'm reading threads where guys are not getting any approvement
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 09:49 PM   #104
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruderegime View Post
piggyback is awesome for this situation but I'm reading threads where guys are not getting any approvement
I was hesitant due to those posts as well and I'll say this, if you havent already seen my failed attempt, I'm 100000% a flash tune guy and completely prefer it, however, the JB4 definitely improves performance (HP/TQ) and the biggest issue I have is heat soak and wheel spin (besides the whole 125mph limiter)

Worth it IMO

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2021, 10:57 PM   #105
BMuleW
Left lane please
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

Quote:
I was hesitant due to those posts as well and I'll say this, if you havent already seen my failed attempt, I'm 100000% a flash tune guy and completely prefer it, however, the JB4 definitely improves performance (HP/TQ) and the biggest issue I have is heat soak and wheel spin (besides the whole 125mph limiter)

Worth it IMO
So then here is a stupid question. Won’t a JB4 void my factory warranty? Or do you have a way of not getting detected?

Another separate but related question - is it also true that the ‘21 exhaust is currently unavoidably less poppy than prior years due to the tune (irrespective of aftermarket exhaust systems). I have read pages and pages on this already but would like an authoritative answer if someone has it. Thanks.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 11:13 PM   #106
_N54
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335d

JB4 is still amazing to have until the dme gets cracked again
      05-26-2021, 10:58 AM   #107
Banana Clipper
Jewel Runner
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So then here is a stupid question. Won’t a JB4 void my factory warranty? Or do you have a way of not getting detected?

Another separate but related question - is it also true that the ‘21 exhaust is currently unavoidably less poppy than prior years due to the tune (irrespective of aftermarket exhaust systems). I have read pages and pages on this already but would like an authoritative answer if someone has it. Thanks.
Honestly, the first time you install JB4 it'll be time consuming and cumbersome, however, IF you remove it prior to a shop visit and/or have a "mod friendly SA" I doubt they'd even care as long as you put it in Map 0 when visiting. I've seen some folks say 15mins to install. I doubt I could get it under 30 but everyone has their "tricks"

I dont know about aftermarket exhaust, but, my wifes 2019 X3 M40i is SIGNIFICANTLY louder and pops a lot more, including shift "burps" that Im jealous AF over (dont tell her) whereas my 2021 M340i makes VERY mild burbles and pops at low throttle/rpm.

I wont lie, I covet the louder pops and bangs sometimes but then when I pull into the garage at work I'm thankful my car isnt that loud because our garage is under everyones office space and its sure to get you exiled from parking underground.

Yin/Yang I guess. I have a love / hate relationship with this car

www.BHANANA.com
2009 335i - SOLD
2021 M340i - GONE
2024 iX - Yea, she fast
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:07 AM   #108
BayM340
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:

You do realize a flash tune is more detectable than your piggy back, so if you're worried about warranty then why are you considering tuning...

As Bhanana said, just unplug from the OBDII and set to Map 0, and you "should" be good.

Yes, the 21' is more tame on the exhaust due to the recent software updates. I have the 21' w/MPE and it does pop every once in a while and burble at lower RPMs, but nothing like a 20'. I actually prefer that for the time being. Pops and burbles are cool and all, but only once you have that 130 lifted and won't get passed by a Civic in Mexico...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 11:55 AM   #109
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
So then here is a stupid question. Won't a JB4 void my factory warranty? Or do you have a way of not getting detected?
So not a stupid question at all and it gets asked a lot - a simple google search of can my JB4 be detected after removal will give you answers/opinions spanning the course of years.

That said...based on what I've come to understand:
  • simply installing a piggyback or flash or springs or downpipe or exhaust or coding etc….will not pro-actively void your warranty
  • detection whether it be pro-active (a flash gets flagged, springs get noticed, an after market exhaust gets heard) or passive after removal (a piggyback) also does not void your warranty
  • should ANY mod cause downstream failure of a component then yes you could lose warranty coverage on that part
  • I think we start to not be able to see the forest for the trees when we allow ourselves to get sucked down the rabbit hole of "detection" & "removal" and forget that there are no special rules applied to engine output manipulation modifications vs any other mods. They are all treated the same.

That being said while I am lucky enough to be flashed tuned by Mission Performance because of my early 2020 build I would not be concerned about running a well designed Piggyback if that was currently my only option and switching to a flash when available. Just like I am not concerned about my well designed Dinan Springs.

My 2-cents - other opinions may vary - hope it helps

Quote:
Another separate but related question - is it also true that the '21 exhaust is currently unavoidably less poppy than prior years due to the tune (irrespective of aftermarket exhaust systems). I have read pages and pages on this already but would like an authoritative answer if someone has it. Thanks.
  • yes true the exhaust note was changed via programming in the later models to eliminate much of the pops/burbles that are present on the earlier builds
  • Piggyback will not change this because it does not have the ability to do so it does not have that control over DME
  • Only flash can address pop/burble
  • Aftermarket or MPE will help a little - but will impact volume and tone much more than pop/burble

Last edited by chenry; 05-26-2021 at 12:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:38 PM   #110
serg1282
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: through

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
So not a stupid question at all and it gets asked a lot - a simple google search of can my JB4 be detected after removal will give you answers/opinions spanning the course of years.

That said...based on what I've come to understand:
  • simply installing a piggyback or flash or springs or downpipe or exhaust or coding etc….will not pro-actively void your warranty
  • detection whether it be pro-active (a flash gets flagged, springs get notice, an after market exhaust gets heard) or passive after removal (a piggyback) also does not void your warranty
  • should ANY mod cause downstream failure of a component then yes you could lose warranty coverage on that part
  • I think we start to not be able to see the forest for the trees when we allow ourselves to get sucked down the rabbit whole of “detection” & “removal” and forget that there are no special rules applied to engine output manipulation modifications vs any other mods. They are all treated the same.

That being said while I am lucky enough to be flashed tuned by Mission Performance because of my early 2020 build I would not be concerned about running a well designed Piggyback if that was currently my only option and switching to a flash when available. Just like I am not concerned about my well designed Dinan Springs.

My 2-cents - other opinions may vary - hope it helps

• yes true the exhaust note was changed via programming in the later models to eliminate much of the pops/burbles that are present on the earlier builds
  • Piggyback will not change this because it does not have the ability to do so it does not have that control over DME
  • Only flash can address pop/burble
  • Aftermarket or MPE will help a little - but will impact volume and tone much more than pop/burble
+1
Appreciate 0