Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Spotify music goes quiet when first connecting

02-27-2021, 01:19 PM   #1
hxsvn
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Spotify music goes quiet when first connecting

Hi guys,

This is a little tricky to explain so here you go:

When I get in my car, my android phone connects to the bluetooth on my car and autonatically carries on from where i left off on my spotify playlist. After few seconds, car wifi kicks in and android auto starts automatically. And as soon as android auto starts, spotify goes to the first track on my playlist and pkays the song but i cant hear anything. So i have to go back on my phone, and make spotify play through the phone and not via BMW bluetooth for me to hear anything at all. And this happens every single time.

Why does it happen?
Whats the fix?
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 08:20 PM   #2
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
I have the exact same problem but I'm on an iPhone. For awhile, I couldn't figure out why I was getting no audio - and the other day I finally figured out if I change devices to "Your phone" instead of the BMW Bluetooth device it works. I tried to tell Spotify to "Forget device" on the BMW Bluetooth but it doesn't go away.

Seems like it started for me when Spotify upgraded to Spotify 8.6.x on iOS, but before that I was having problems with it stopping after a few seconds, but selecting a new playlist always got it to start playing again.

I don't have this problem with other music apps (tried Apple Music and YouTube Music) so I think the problem is with Spotify itself.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2021, 09:52 PM   #3
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

I can't tell if this is Spotify or my car or my phone. But when this happens I just manually login to the Spotify app and listen through that.

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 09:08 AM   #4
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
Just an update, I found out from this thread ( https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1799343 ) that if I was logged into both the Connected Music / iDrive Spotify and tried to use CarPlay Spotify that the two conflicted and is why I had CarPlay trying to play over the "BMW #####" bluetooth. When I logged off of the iDrive Spotify (go into Spotify on iDrive, click on Options on the center console and logoff will pop up). After this, Spotify played over CarPlay just fine - it doesn't always start playing music automatically, but if I go in and choose a playlist, it plays audio every time now at least.

Ideally would like to have both logged in to be usable, but I only use the iDrive Spotify when I forget my phone, so being able to have CarPlay work is more ideal for me.

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 03-03-2021 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #5
Mr.G20 M340
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Portimao Blue M340-x

The problem is Spotify or our phones, not the car. The Spotify app plays through the Bluetooth of the car when it supposed to play through "this iPhone" but for some weird reason you can't make Spotify forget the Bluetooth connection and stop it from going into automatic driving mode.

2020 Portimao Blue M340 X Drive and adaptive suspension.
Mods: custom exhaust, VRSF Catted DP, Injen intake and Chargepipe.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Bimmer006
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 -> G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatestemur@gmail.com View Post
Hi guys,

This is a little tricky to explain so here you go:

When I get in my car, my android phone connects to the bluetooth on my car and autonatically carries on from where i left off on my spotify playlist. After few seconds, car wifi kicks in and android auto starts automatically. And as soon as android auto starts, spotify goes to the first track on my playlist and pkays the song but i cant hear anything. So i have to go back on my phone, and make spotify play through the phone and not via BMW bluetooth for me to hear anything at all. And this happens every single time.

Why does it happen?
Whats the fix?
I have the same issue as well. But I generally listen to spotify from iDrive as this has better UI in my opinion. So I basically turned off the Auto resume music from Android auto, that atleast stopped doing this for a while.

Note: The only thing I hate in iDrive Spotify app that we don't have a sort option to sort the recently added ones to show on the top.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 09:48 AM   #7
hxsvn
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
I have the exact same problem but I'm on an iPhone. For awhile, I couldn't figure out why I was getting no audio - and the other day I finally figured out if I change devices to "Your phone" instead of the BMW Bluetooth device it works. I tried to tell Spotify to "Forget device" on the BMW Bluetooth but it doesn't go away.

Seems like it started for me when Spotify upgraded to Spotify 8.6.x on iOS, but before that I was having problems with it stopping after a few seconds, but selecting a new playlist always got it to start playing again.

I don't have this problem with other music apps (tried Apple Music and YouTube Music) so I think the problem is with Spotify itself.
Yeah, the forget device option on spotify worked fine for me too, although the song doesnt automatically start when ai connect through Android Auto. Thanks mate
Appreciate 0