Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes NEW RELEASE: Dinan BMW G20 M340i (RWD) Springs/Bumpstops & Monoballs

06-10-2020, 07:38 AM   #45
saido
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrh View Post
Do you feel 10mm front and 13mm back is good, in terms of aesthetics? Is there much of a difference - especially the front?

Thanks!
Honestly, I think it is just right...I think a few mm more in the front won't make a difference, but it works. The back is perfect.

I considered wider in the front, but figured a staggered setup would be better.
Appreciate 1
amrh296.50
      06-10-2020, 10:02 AM   #46
saido
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by saido View Post
Honestly, I think it is just right...I think a few mm more in the front won't make a difference, but it works. The back is perfect.

I considered wider in the front, but figured a staggered setup would be better.
I posted some more pictures under G20 Photo Shot of the Day, they're more clear than the ones I previously posted.
Appreciate 1
amrh296.50
      06-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #47
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 m3

Description says 1 inch off front and rear. Does that hold true 100% of the time when springs are on car ? Can springs be less then 1 inch drop or more then 1 inch ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #48
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by longlasting View Post
Description says 1 inch off front and rear. Does that hold true 100% of the time when springs are on car ? Can springs be less then 1 inch drop or more then 1 inch ?
There can be some minor variance (1/16" one way or the other). When you first get them installed it may be more like 1/8" until they settle however.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 05:40 AM   #49
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
There can be some minor variance (1/16" one way or the other). When you first get them installed it may be more like 1/8" until they settle however.
Nice I just purchased and will report back when installed!
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2020, 07:29 PM   #50
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

okay ordered
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 09:49 AM   #51
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3Cx

So, I just had the Dinan springs installed. The car looks amazing! Better yet, from my short drive back, I can tell it drives much better. Less body roll and more control. Feels more planted, as well. Again, short drive back, so will need to drive more to see how the dynamics changed.

Unfortunately, my mechanic didn't install the bump stops. He felt that the OEM bump stops are more robust (his term). He told me this after he had completed the install, as I was picking it up. So, I couldn't argue the point, and certainly wasn't going to have him go through and install them. It's fine - it's a leased car. I just wish he would have asked me, while he was doing the install.

Otherwise, love the way it looks and drives (so far). Of note, I don't "think" it needs spacers. I was going to add spacers, but looking at it, after the drop, I think it looks fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 10:29 AM   #52
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So, I just had the Dinan springs installed. The car looks amazing! Better yet, from my short drive back, I can tell it drives much better. Less body roll and more control. Feels more planted, as well. Again, short drive back, so will need to drive more to see how the dynamics changed.

Unfortunately, my mechanic didn't install the bump stops. He felt that the OEM bump stops are more robust (his term). He told me this after he had completed the install, as I was picking it up. So, I couldn't argue the point, and certainly wasn't going to have him go through and install them. It's fine - it's a leased car. I just wish he would have asked me, while he was doing the install.

Otherwise, love the way it looks and drives (so far). Of note, I don't "think" it needs spacers. I was going to add spacers, but looking at it, after the drop, I think it looks fine.
congrats - get those pics up!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 11:15 AM   #53
Alex_bm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Giulia QV

AWD version is needed, ASAP!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:52 PM   #54
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
AWD version is needed, ASAP!
+1
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 12:54 PM   #55
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:

If you asked him to install the bump stops and we're obviously willing to pay, he should have installed them? That's like somebody not wrapping a vehicle bc they think the stock paint looks "robust" enough with it lol.

I would have been salty about that and I bet when used in combination, it will make even more of a positive difference
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2020, 03:36 PM   #56
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I would recommend traveling on some less then ideal roads and see how jarring it may or may not be. With the factory bump stops the transition between spring and bump stop is not going to be ideal when compressed and utilizing all the suspension travel. Of course it's all comes down to the sensitivity of the driver as well.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 05:22 PM   #57
longlasting
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Price you guys getting quoted to install springs ??
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:42 PM   #58
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would recommend traveling on some less then ideal roads and see how jarring it may or may not be. With the factory bump stops the transition between spring and bump stop is not going to be ideal when compressed and utilizing all the suspension travel. Of course it's all comes down to the sensitivity of the driver as well.
Your reply has put me more at ease. It made me remember and realize that bump stops, primarily, help with the ride. Hopefully, it's not bad. Coming from a F80 that was lowered (a bit), I'm sure I can handle some jarring.

I'm assuming the only way to install the bump stops is to remove the springs, correct?

Quote:
I had mine installed for $550.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 06:51 PM   #59
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Your reply has put me more at ease. It made me remember and realize that bump stops, primarily, help with the ride. Hopefully, it's not bad. Coming from a F80 that was lowered (a bit), I'm sure I can handle some jarring.

I'm assuming the only way to install the bump stops is to remove the springs, correct?

Quote:
I had mine installed for $550.
Correct. Be the same process as installing the springs themselves hence recommendation to install at the same time.
Appreciate 1
amrh296.50
      06-22-2020, 08:52 PM   #60
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Any feed back on the bump stops and springs?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:12 AM   #61
Desrste
BMW4LIFE
Rep
Drives: '16 428i GC. '08 535, '84 e30

Will these work on g20 330i RWD?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 07:19 AM   #62
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desrste View Post
Never has been tested but if history is any indication they probably will "fit" but the front will be a bit too stiff for the 4 cylinder and cause a bit of a reverse rake given the slight difference in front end weight. We have a 330i xDrive due to arrive the tail end of the month and will begin to make some reverse correlations between the 2 models on the suspension side among other things.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:40 AM   #63
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desrste View Post
Never has been tested but if history is any indication they probably will "fit" but the front will be a bit too stiff for the 4 cylinder and cause a bit of a reverse rake given the slight difference in front end weight. We have a 330i xDrive due to arrive the tail end of the month and will begin to make some reverse correlations between the 2 models on the suspension side among other things.
M340 xdrive anytime soon?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 10:02 AM   #64
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
M340 xdrive anytime soon?
No car to base anything off of although the 330i xDrive depending on what is disconvered on it may give us enough clues on the M340i xDrive. Won't really know until we dig into it.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:08 PM   #65
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Going rate here in SoCal seems to be $250 for springs and bumstops, add another $75-$100 for alignment
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 02:55 PM   #66
amrh
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Any feed back on the bump stops and springs?
So, I've driven some more, around town and highway. To be honest, the ride is good. Sure, it's a bit more bumpy - as expected when lowering - but, it's still good. When going over dips, it handles them well, with composure. Hard bumps in the road don't feel any different, than before.

I was concerned about the bump stops not being installed - I'm not any longer, after having driven a couple hundred miles, this past weekend.

Yes, I would have preferred that the bump stops be installed. In my case, to get them installed, I don't believe is worth the time and money - I just don't think the ride will be much different. I'm in NC, and the roads aren't too bad. Might be different if I were in an area where the roads are bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
Going rate here in SoCal seems to be $250 for springs and bumstops, add another $75-$100 for alignment
That's insane! How is SoCal cheaper than NC - in any regard! haha I can't get an alignment, here, for less than $100...usually around $130.
Appreciate 0