Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics B48 4-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Dinan to begin R&D on G20 330i

01-05-2021, 05:56 PM   #23
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Nice sale on the Dinan Sport currently. I have been running this on my 330i for about a month now and have been pleased with the performance bump.

https://www.dinancars.com/products/s...arts/D440-0047
Appreciate 2
helmet91278.50
      01-15-2021, 04:33 PM   #24
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

After reading all of the comments and debating back and forth / between the JB+ and the JB4, I just ordered the Dinantronics D440-0047 direct from Dinan. Like the JB+ I'm drawn to the small investment aspect of it, the modest power/torque gains, and the simplicity of the install & removal. I'm not looking to blow the doors off of anyone - I know this won't be comparable to my F80 M3 no matter what I do to it.

I liked Steve Dinan's comments (online - Youtube video) about how piggybacks work on modern cars, why they chose to go to piggybacks (rather than pure software flashes as they used to do), and how they draw more sensor data streams than some others so that they're not just raising boost and counting on the native BMW anti-knock circuitry / loops to reign things in. Here's hoping it gives a smooth experience.

FYI they are currently on sale (as of 1/15/21) for a price comparable to the JB+, with free shipping.

(Interesting also that Dinan is now part of the Holley conglomerate / roll-up sponsored by Sentinel Partners. I hadn't been following it, but it's now grown to a huge grouping of diverse aftermarket brands.)
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:42 PM   #25
vTuga
Private
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
After reading all of the comments and debating back and forth / between the JB+ and the JB4, I just ordered the Dinantronics D440-0047 direct from Dinan. Like the JB+ I'm drawn to the small investment aspect of it, the modest power/torque gains, and the simplicity of the install & removal. I'm not looking to blow the doors off of anyone - I know this won't be comparable to my F80 M3 no matter what I do to it.

I liked Steve Dinan's comments (online - Youtube video) about how piggybacks work on modern cars, why they chose to go to piggybacks (rather than pure software flashes as they used to do), and how they draw more sensor data streams than some others so that they're not just raising boost and counting on the native BMW anti-knock circuitry / loops to reign things in. Here's hoping it gives a smooth experience.

FYI they are currently on sale (as of 1/15/21) for a price comparable to the JB+, with free shipping.

(Interesting also that Dinan is now part of the Holley conglomerate / roll-up sponsored by Sentinel Partners. I hadn't been following it, but it's now grown to a huge grouping of diverse aftermarket brands.)
I think the Dinan Sport you ordered does indeed only raise boost, it doesn't have any other sensor input. Dinan has other boxes, like the Elite, that have more connections and more sophisticated tuning, but the sport is the equivalent to a JB+.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2021, 05:54 PM   #26
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vTuga View Post
I think the Dinan Sport you ordered does indeed only raise boost, it doesn't have any other sensor input. Dinan has other boxes, like the Elite, that have more connections and more sophisticated tuning, but the sport is the equivalent to a JB+.
The Dinan Sport plugs into the Map and Tmap sensor with the G20 so it is slightly more advanced than the JB+.

I have been running it on my 330i for a month or so now at the sport + setting (+3 PSI.) The butt dyno tells me the car pulls a bit harder in sport and sport + and i have not had any CELs or other negative side effects.

The only downside is that the app is pretty crappy and if you plan on using any recent Android device the version of the app on the Google play store will not work. There is a newer version of the app that does run on newer Android versions that can be downloaded directly on your device from here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZM0...ew?usp=sharing (Dinan support provided me this link.)
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2021, 07:32 PM   #27
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bquatt View Post
Is an Elite module in the pipeline as well?
Yes. As is a flash.
Following back up on this now that were in to 2021. What are the chances that a flash and/or Dinan elite piggy back will be available Q1 for the G20 330?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2021, 01:36 PM   #28
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
The Dinan Sport plugs into the Map and Tmap sensor with the G20 so it is slightly more advanced than the JB+.

I have been running it on my 330i for a month or so now at the sport + setting (+3 PSI.) The butt dyno tells me the car pulls a bit harder in sport and sport + and i have not had any CELs or other negative side effects.

The only downside is that the app is pretty crappy and if you plan on using any recent Android device the version of the app on the Google play store will not work. There is a newer version of the app that does run on newer Android versions that can be downloaded directly on your device from here. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ZM0...ew?usp=sharing (Dinan support provided me this link.)
Finally have a new app in the final stages of testing so be on the lookout for that.

Quote:
Following back up on this now that were in to 2021. What are the chances that a flash and/or Dinan elite piggy back will be available Q1 for the G20 330?
Slim. Q2 at earliest is probably more realistic. The Elite units are undergoing a bit of a transition as well so depending on what you are after it might not be what you want. The Dinan+ flash will be the only Dinan engine tuning offering that has the factory matching warranty as an example.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 08:31 AM   #29
bquatt
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330xi m-sport

Quote:
Quote:

Finally have a new app in the final stages of testing so be on the lookout for that.

Quote:
Slim. Q2 at earliest is probably more realistic. The Elite units are undergoing a bit of a transition as well so depending on what you are after it might not be what you want. The Dinan+ flash will be the only Dinan engine tuning offering that has the factory matching warranty as an example.
I am interested in the flash anyways. Will Dinan authorized dealers be able to bench unlock from their garage as opposed to having to ship to your HQ?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2021, 10:32 AM   #30
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am interested in the flash anyways. Will Dinan authorized dealers be able to bench unlock from their garage as opposed to having to ship to your HQ?
That's the goal.
Appreciate 1
bquatt218.50
      01-23-2021, 09:16 AM   #31
Mdog97
Private
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdog97 View Post
After reading all of the comments and debating back and forth / between the JB+ and the JB4, I just ordered the Dinantronics D440-0047 direct from Dinan.
UPDATE: package with DINANTRONICS Sport Performance Tuner arrived. Contents = just the 4-connector harness with attached small hard plastic CPU box and 7 zip ties. The instructions are downloaded as a PDF from their website.

Install was fairly easy - I went REALLY slow figuring out how to disconnect the first connector, as it's not intuitive how it works and I didn't want to break it. Also didn't look carefully enough at the first photo, and started fooling with the wrong sensor/connector first. Had to reference a JB4 installation video on youtube to try to get a better view of what part of the connector moves and where to poke with the small flat blade screwdriver. Once you figure out one of them, the rest are very quick.

Haven't started or driven the car yet - will do so today or tomorrow. (Swapped on the black grille and installed ECS spacers yesterday, will be trying to do the chrome delete of the window trim using vinyl film today.)

I can easily see how the Dinan setup could come off and back on for dealership service visits - probably just unhook it at the four connections, replug the OEM connections, and plug the Dinan ends into each other (or not) and temporarily zip tie them out of the way. If the tech doesn't remove the big plastic engine cover, he will probably never know it's there.
Appreciate 3
njfoses283.00
ruczko97.00
VipinLJ1936.50
      04-25-2021, 11:06 AM   #32
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any news on the updated app?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 01:56 PM   #33
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i X-Drive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, this. ^

I backordered the Sport tuner or whatever it's called last week... 5/20 shipping.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2021, 07:30 AM   #34
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by helmet91 View Post
Yeah, this. ^

I backordered the Sport tuner or whatever it's called last week... 5/20 shipping.
iOS version of the newest app has been in the store the last month or so. Not sure why the Android one hasnt been updated. There was some certificate issues at one point but I thought that was resolved. Pinging the app folks to see what the story is there.

A fair amount of the SPORT tuners are on backorder given the global shortage/demand of chips. Having issues sourcing the BT chips specifically due to this shortage and they keep getting pushed. =/
Appreciate 2
njfoses283.00
helmet91278.50
      04-26-2021, 07:57 AM   #35
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
I'll keep my fingers crossed on that backorder... glad it's just $200 wrapped up in it.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #36
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
iOS version of the newest app has been in the store the last month or so. Not sure why the Android one hasnt been updated. There was some certificate issues at one point but I thought that was resolved. Pinging the app folks to see what the story is there.
Any luck?
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 06:50 AM   #37
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Any luck?
Long story short -- chasing a minor bug yet. Waiting on a new version of a test app to verify its fixed before being pushed.
Appreciate 1
njfoses283.00
      06-09-2021, 08:22 AM   #38
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

A fair amount of the SPORT tuners are on backorder given the global shortage/demand of chips. Having issues sourcing the BT chips specifically due to this shortage and they keep getting pushed. =/
Any update on the Android app?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #39
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The amount of back and forth the last few weeks has been exhausting. Every revision the developers do they tweak something else that needs to be fixed or forget to do something, etc. Its quite infuriating really. Waiting to hear back from the latest inquiry...
Appreciate 1
njfoses283.00
      06-16-2021, 04:40 PM   #40
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Updated Android App released as of 10 minutes or so ago... doesn't appear to be fully populated in search yet but direct link is HERE.
Appreciate 2
njfoses283.00
pneumodoc231.50
      06-16-2021, 05:11 PM   #41
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Updated Android App released as of 10 minutes or so ago... doesn't appear to be fully populated in search yet but direct link is HERE.
Is it a new app and not an upgrade to the existing app?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 06:38 PM   #42
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Is it a new app and not an upgrade to the existing app?
Update technically but new download as we didn't have access to the original APK file or something. I'm not going to pretend to understand so that may or not make any sense. That's how I interpreted it.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 02:08 AM   #43
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
Forgot to post that I received my Sport tuner last week... Super quick/easy install. The app (iOS) is pretty lackluster but is straight forward to use.

Butt dyno definitely notices the extra boost. I need to get the f- outta the Netherlands and down to the 'Ring now. Too many brick side streets and too many speed limits on the highway here.

Definitely worth the $200.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2021, 02:33 AM   #44
helmet91
Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep

Garage List
So I've had the Sport tuner installed almost two weeks now...

Can someone help me understand how the tuner's Sport, Sport+ and Race settings interact with the car's Eco, Comfort, Sport and Sport+ settings?

If I have the tuner set at Race and put the car in Eco, what is actually happening?
Appreciate 0