Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics WiFi Hotspot Question - iPhone (Connected Package Pro and WiFi Hotspot options)

12-20-2020, 05:02 PM   #1
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

WiFi Hotspot Question - iPhone (Connected Package Pro and WiFi Hotspot options)

I’m trying to activate the trial for the internet access via hotspot and am having some issues.

1) The AT&T site is asking for a vehicle mobile number. Can’t find it on the connecteddrive portal (admittedly on mobile, do i need to be on desktop?)

2) I don’t see the “My BMWXXXXX Hotspot” ssid on my phone, only the DIRECT- for CarPlay services. I made sure not to be connected via Bluetooth (removed my phone from the car, car from the phone), Forgot that DIRECT network so it won’t auto join also. Nothing. Turned WiFi Hotspot on/off/on and Internet Connection on/off/on. Nada.

Has anyone gotten this to work? I want my phone to use the trial internet service vs the car to use my phone’s data.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
Enigma735
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i Sport Line

Ok got it activated. So i figured it all out. What a jerry rig on their part. You connect to the hotspot in the background through CarPlay which disables WiFi on the phone while connected so you can still use cell data from the phone itself. CarPlay routes all data from apps accessed via CarPlay in the car only through the car’s hotspot internet NOT any data from the phone itself or non-carplay apps (e.g. Safari, other apps not accessible via the CarPlay in car).

Now my problem is my non-CarPlay devices connected to the hotspot have no internet access despite the trial being active. They’re connected to the car via SSID and password, show as connected, yet nothing loads. I’m wondering if the AT&T activation hasn’t processed yet or something.

What a kludgy POS.
Appreciate 1
MBM3401026.00
      01-28-2021, 02:59 AM   #3
sundevils96734
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

Your can find your vehicle's phone number by logging into your account on the BMW ConnectedDrive website .
  1. Go to connecteddrive.bmwusa.com
  2. Log in to your ConnectedDrive account.
  3. Click on Manage vehicles to see your Vehicle Phone Number.
Thats all there is to it.

Last edited by sundevils96734; 01-28-2021 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1941.50