BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires All Season Cinturato P7 - Winter Performance

01-26-2021, 07:09 AM   #1
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

All Season Cinturato P7 - Winter Performance

I have a squared 225/40/19 setup with the all season P7s and it's been an mixed bag of performance so far on my M340i xDrive. In the dry period it's a 7/10, in the wet it's actually good, 9/10, and in snow it's all over the place.

I've had the car out twice now for some decent snow testing (1-3", then yesterday 10"+). I do sometimes have to travel in inclement weather and on the highway to work yesterday....it was borderline nerve racking how disconnected these felt with the road and the entire time the car felt like it was shifting directions randomly. I'd say 10% steering feel of which I'm still adjusting to, and 90% just zero traction.

It seems when there's snow under them it's fine. I've zero concerns of getting stuck. But the car doesn't turn well or with any sort of confidence, and it doesn't stop worth a damn. Especially in any slick surface. Yes, I understand these are all season "crap" tires, but I've got 2k miles on these (car is new), and it's a smorgasbord of performance.

Has anyone else taken these tires out on the snow or icy conditions with poor results?

Affordability isn't a concern replacing them with true winters, but just trying to gauge value with this particular car. I had DWS06 on my previous AWD vehicle and it felt way safer than these P7s. I'm just a little rattled on the poor performance right now as it's been years since I felt something that unsteady. Especially given what looks like a high rating for these tires. Shopping Blizzaks because it was so bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 01:20 PM   #2
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

The RFT P7s were absolutely horrible in the snow. I only had them go through one winter and it was scary as hell.
Funny enough. I had the non-RFT P7s in my A4 before that and they were wider (245mm). They were significantly better in the snow. Not sure if it is because of the tyres or Quattro. But yes. I wouldn't drive my 330i in the snow with them P7s on. I have PS A/S 3+s and they're much much better.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 1
tarrant64116.00
      01-26-2021, 02:23 PM   #3
tarrant64
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
The RFT P7s were absolutely horrible in the snow. I only had them go through one winter and it was scary as hell.
Funny enough. I had the non-RFT P7s in my A4 before that and they were wider (245mm). They were significantly better in the snow. Not sure if it is because of the tyres or Quattro. But yes. I wouldn't drive my 330i in the snow with them P7s on. I have PS A/S 3+s and they're much much better.
Yeah when I got home yesterday after having to stop in to work for an emergency during the storm - wife asked how the drive was and I replied "terrifying".

This coming from a guy who intentionally will go out in any inclement weather for a little fun. I'm comfortable in sketch situations. The P7's redefined sketch for me yesterday.
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      01-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #4
Outack
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M340i, X5 45e

I had the all seasons on our M340i... they are awful in any inclement weather. I bought a set of Nokian Hakka R3, and WOW. The difference was incredible. I will never be without a set of true winter tires on this car again. In MN it’s a worthwhile investment.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 11:59 PM   #5
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrant64 View Post
Yeah when I got home yesterday after having to stop in to work for an emergency during the storm - wife asked how the drive was and I replied "terrifying".

This coming from a guy who intentionally will go out in any inclement weather for a little fun. I'm comfortable in sketch situations. The P7's redefined sketch for me yesterday.
That is exactly how I felt. And I'm the same as you. I intentionally forget to buy stuff from the store so I can go for a drive again

But with the RFT P7s, I even resorted to taking the SQ5 out just to be safe. Not so much anymore since I switched to Michelins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outack View Post
I had the all seasons on our M340i... they are awful in any inclement weather. I bought a set of Nokian Hakka R3, and WOW. The difference was incredible. I will never be without a set of true winter tires on this car again. In MN it’s a worthwhile investment.
I agree. A winter/snow tyre is in a different league. But we don't get snow that often. Maybe a few days every winter.
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0