Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Wheels and Tires M340i tires- any Pirelli feedback ?

02-13-2021, 04:25 PM   #23
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbrock22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownRoyal79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewusman View Post
My MY20 came with P-Zero run flats.

They are above average - extremely silent with decent but not incredible amounts of grip. Remains to be seen how long the compound will last.
I agree 100%. I have 20" P-Zero summer RFT and they are extremely quiet and I can corner at incredible speeds. Very impressive tires.

Now to the winter tires... I'm running Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 RFT on 19" wheels and they are extremely LOUD!!!! Almost embarrassingly loud. The handling doesn't compare to the P-zero tires. I can make these tires squeal around corners at high speed. That's nearly impossible to do with the P-Zero tires.

Is it the difference between the 19" and 20" wheels or is it the tires? Maybe both. But I will buy the P-Zero RFT again but definitely will NOT buy the Sottozero 3 RFT again.
You are comparing apples to oranges.
The Pirelli Sottozero is a high performance winter tire, the PZero is a summer tire. Both are excellent at what they are designed to do.
You may be right. I have limited experience with winter tires. But my question is... Are all winter tires noticeably loud? Once I hit 45 mph it sounds like I'm driving a jeep with oversized off-road tires!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 07:37 PM   #24
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
You may be right. I have limited experience with winter tires. But my question is... Are all winter tires noticeably loud? Once I hit 45 mph it sounds like I'm driving a jeep with oversized off-road tires!
When I lived in an area requiring winter tires, I favored Blizzak WS tires. I believe they are up to WS90 now, but we started back in the day of WS60 and have also had some successor models. The ones we had were not noisy.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 1
      02-14-2021, 08:01 AM   #25
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

They are above average - extremely silent with decent but not incredible amounts of grip. Remains to be seen how long the compound will last.
I agree 100%. I have 20" P-Zero summer RFT and they are extremely quiet and I can corner at incredible speeds. Very impressive tires.

Now to the winter tires... I'm running Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3 RFT on 19" wheels and they are extremely LOUD!!!! Almost embarrassingly loud. The handling doesn't compare to the P-zero tires. I can make these tires squeal around corners at high speed. That's nearly impossible to do with the P-Zero tires.

Is it the difference between the 19" and 20" wheels or is it the tires? Maybe both. But I will buy the P-Zero RFT again but definitely will NOT buy the Sottozero 3 RFT again.
The Pirelli Sottozero is a high performance winter tire, the PZero is a summer tire. Both are excellent at what they are designed to do.
Winter tires are bit noisier. Should not sound like a Jeep.
Appreciate 1
      02-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #26
Jbrock22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2pw

Garage List
BMW   [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Winter tires are bit noisier. Should not sound like a Jeep.
I am running the same winter tires, 18" non run flat. They a slightly noisier then my summer Michelin 4S 19" staggered non run flat.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 10:43 AM   #27
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

your experience and expectations will dictate how it affects you but
-winter tires are significantly louder especially on dry pavement at highway speeds, even worse on worn tarmac. Those litttle sipes in the tires which pack and grab snow create a ton of noise
-winter tires have significantly less handling prowess in dry than the summer tires, this is by design as the actual material they make the tires out of is naturally less sticky in dry/moderate conditions but retains the stickiness in very low temperatures as well as holds on to ice and snow worlds better. (Summer tires basically do not hold on to ice snow at all)
-controversial statement: (the tire police are going to come after me) if your driving experience is dominated by the side effects of running full winter tires you may be in moderate conditions most of the time and high performance all seasons might have been the right choice for you. I run staggered pilot sport A/S 3plus on my xdrive m340 and they are basically as grippy in dry as the blah stock run-flat summers (thanks michilin superior engineering) and the grip is much stronger as temps continue down to and below freezing). Snow traction is "get you home" good enough, it is not as good as dedicated winters so it's a personal choice where the right trade off is.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
      02-25-2021, 12:22 PM   #28
Emily172013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i BMW 330ci

My M340I has 18in Pirelli NRFs. When I took it in for it's first oil change after a year and 5k. The tires measured close to new. My E46 330ci has MPS, directional. Since they can't be rotated they make a lot of noise after 15/20k, other than that, great tires.
Appreciate 0