Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics B58 6-Cylinder Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications Active Engine Sound

02-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #1
basicm340i
Rep
Drives: m340

Active Engine Sound

Hi there. I was wondering if there are any ways to disable the fake engine noise coming from the speakers inside of the car. It's super annoying, since you can't even hear the turbo sounds or the awful nerfed exhaust on my 2021.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 05:06 PM   #2
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by basicm340i View Post
Hi there. I was wondering if there are any ways to disable the fake engine noise coming from the speakers inside of the car. It's super annoying, since you can't even hear the turbo sounds or the awful nerfed exhaust on my 2021.
Bimmercode is probably the easiest way to do this.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #3
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenry View Post
+1. Although it doesn't make as much of a difference as it did on the F30.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 01:56 PM   #4
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:
BimmerCode provide the option but I never succeed in coding it to my car. It would complain failed to read ECU. Just wondering if anyone succeed in turning the ASD off.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 03:14 PM   #5
chenry
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
BimmerCode provide the option but I never succeed in coding it to my car. It would complain failed to read ECU. Just wondering if anyone succeed in turning the ASD off.
Yes I was able to turn mine off without issue
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #6
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Maybe I'm crazy but I can't notice it. Is it really even an issue? The car sounds really good outside so I don't imagine BMW needs to do this on the M340i. It's not even needed.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:16 AM   #7
Patgilm
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT-R, X7 M50i, M340

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthOne View Post
Maybe I'm crazy but I can't notice it. Is it really even an issue? The car sounds really good outside so I don't imagine BMW needs to do this on the M340i. It's not even needed.
Funny I feel the same way. I heard about BMW piping sound through the speakers and I’ve tried to hear it and I can’t. Is there a way to really hear it through the speakers or are my ears too old?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 10:59 AM   #8
rcz22
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Funny I feel the same way. I heard about BMW piping sound through the speakers and I’ve tried to hear it and I can’t. Is there a way to really hear it through the speakers or are my ears too old?
I feel the same way - I did turn off Active Sound within bimmercode, but didn't notice a difference either way. Now I also had MPE installed at port, so perhaps they turn this off knowing you want to hear the real exhaust sound? Or maybe I'm overthinking it lol
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 07:47 PM   #9
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Quote:
It’s definitely there... you will notice the difference once you turn it off.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2021, 11:52 PM   #10
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Quote:
It’s definitely there... you will notice the difference once you turn it off.
Turn it off how? I also definitely don't notice it. I came from a car that had it pumped in and it was very noticeable since the car was silent from the outside. The M340, is hardly quiet outside so I don't know what I'm supposed to be hearing pumped in. I had my friend drive by while I was standing outside, there absolutely no reason to add any fake cabin noise.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:15 AM   #11
ubchariot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcz22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patgilm View Post
Funny I feel the same way. I heard about BMW piping sound through the speakers and I've tried to hear it and I can't. Is there a way to really hear it through the speakers or are my ears too old?
I feel the same way - I did turn off Active Sound within bimmercode, but didn't notice a difference either way. Now I also had MPE installed at port, so perhaps they turn this off knowing you want to hear the real exhaust sound? Or maybe I'm overthinking it lol
It's definitely there. I have MPE on my car as well. It's not very obvious in comfort mode. But once you switch to sport (or plus) mode and step hard on the gas pedal, it will overshadow the real engine sound, which is the sound I really want to hear. I came from
F30 330i. The fake engine noise from my m340i has pretty much the same pattern as my previous 330i. Once you hear it, you can never unhear it.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 02:18 AM   #12
ubchariot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Yes I was able to turn mine off without issue
Thanks for confirming this. I guess there was something wrong with my adapter.
Appreciate 0