Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum Vehicle is on the way.. what's next?

02-23-2021, 10:16 PM   #1
wrdnk
Rep
Drives: N/A

Vehicle is on the way.. what's next?

Hi all,

Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I am currently waiting for my custom vehicle (lease) to arrive in a couple of weeks. Is it normal that customers do not put any sort of deposit or sign paperwork until the car arrives at the dealership? Do dealers sometimes sell custom ordered vehicles to other customers because they can make more profit? (e.g., some customers may be okay with less discount)

The only process that took place between me and the dealership/BMW is credit application. I believe this is a proof that the vehicle will be sold to me, but it is not technically an agreement..

The reason I am asking is that the sales manager who placed my order is difficult to get in touch with. I am getting to a point where I doubt if he wants to sell this vehicle to me or anybody else.

If someone could walk me through the general procedure, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #2
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

I got mine through a broker and didn't pay anything for a custom build up front. When it arrived I just paid the first month and registration and $350 Broker fee. That was it .
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:41 PM   #3
driver14
Apprenti
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix

I am interested in details on this question as well.

I have an order in transit and I have a deposit which will go towards fees/first payment.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 11:54 PM   #4
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Do lousy dealers sell cars out from customers who ordered a custom build? Yup. Did CA provide you with a production number? A vehicle inquiry report? Have you added this production number to your bmwusa account so you can track it?

If you're worried go into dealer and speak with your CA and sales manager on duty about your order.

My guess is they're just busy with other deals and once your car arrived they'll be all over you to get in there to close the deal. Some dealers just don't get the whole customer experience....

BTW, you don't have to wait for the car to arrive to dealer before negotiating the deal. Once the car arrives at the port and the monroney sticker is printed the dealer has everything they need to get you numbers you can agree on. In writing! The official paperwork won't be signed until the car is in their possession. Depending on how/when the dealer handled the credit app, you can take the incentives offered during the delivery month, or up to 90 days before delivery. Discuss this with them.
      02-24-2021, 02:30 AM   #5
born_on_halloween
Bayerische Motoren Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive PB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdnk View Post
Hi all,

Hope everyone is safe and healthy.

I am currently waiting for my custom vehicle (lease) to arrive in a couple of weeks. Is it normal that customers do not put any sort of deposit or sign paperwork until the car arrives at the dealership? Do dealers sometimes sell custom ordered vehicles to other customers because they can make more profit? (e.g., some customers may be okay with less discount)

The only process that took place between me and the dealership/BMW is credit application. I believe this is a proof that the vehicle will be sold to me, but it is not technically an agreement..

The reason I am asking is that the sales manager who placed my order is difficult to get in touch with. I am getting to a point where I doubt if he wants to sell this vehicle to me or anybody else.

If someone could walk me through the general procedure, it would be appreciated. Thanks!
i didn't put a deposit in too, i was preparing to give something they simply didn't want it
Retired - 2015 335 xDrive Mineral Gray, M-sport manual
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:06 AM   #6
wrdnk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Do lousy dealers sell cars out from customers who ordered a custom build? Yup. Did CA provide you with a production number? A vehicle inquiry report? Have you added this production number to your bmwusa account so you can track it?

If you're worried go into dealer and speak with your CA and sales manager on duty about your order.

My guess is they're just busy with other deals and once your car arrived they'll be all over you to get in there to close the deal. Some dealers just don't get the whole customer experience....

BTW, you don't have to wait for the car to arrive to dealer before negotiating the deal. Once the car arrives at the port and the monroney sticker is printed the dealer has everything they need to get you numbers you can agree on. In writing! The official paperwork won't be signed until the car is in their possession. Depending on how/when the dealer handled the credit app, you can take the incentives offered during the delivery month, or up to 90 days before delivery. Discuss this with them.

Thanks for sharing and replying.
CA emailed me a sheet containing production number, specs, production week, and my last name. I believe this is an order receipt? and it says customer sold. I have used the production number to track the vehicle.

I hope, like you said, that he is just busy and will be more active once the car arrives at the dealership.. I was told by the finance manager that the lock extends to 90 days since there is a delay in production.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 10:15 PM   #7
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrdnk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post

Thanks for sharing and replying.
CA emailed me a sheet containing production number, specs, production week, and my last name. I believe this is an order receipt? and it says customer sold. I have used the production number to track the vehicle.

I hope, like you said, that he is just busy and will be more active once the car arrives at the dealership.. I was told by the finance manager that the lock extends to 90 days since there is a delay in production.
What you have seems to be a vehicle inquiry report. Sounds like the order was put into DCS with your name. That said, the dealer could sell it out from under your nose, but credible ones wouldn't think of doing it unless you didn't act on their offers to close the sale.

My guess is you'll hear from them as soon as it arrives. Stay proactive with your CA.
      02-25-2021, 11:55 AM   #8
NorCalAthlete
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '23 M4CX - Tanzanite / Tartufo

I've been communicating with my dealer primarily through texts to "get in writing" the price. Per a lawyer friend, that can technically be good enough for a written contract if it came down to it, though lawyer / court fees vs an extra thousand or two off the deal probably wouldn't really be worth the time and effort if he reneges on the deal he agreed to via text.

As others have stated it's highly unlikely a dealer would want to tank their reputation by selling a custom order out from under you, and as long as you have something recorded (voice mail, text message, email) of the price numbers to remind them at sale time that they had previously agreed to it, you should be good to go.
IG: EmFore_650
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 07:50 AM   #9
wrdnk
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalAthlete View Post
I've been communicating with my dealer primarily through texts to "get in writing" the price. Per a lawyer friend, that can technically be good enough for a written contract if it came down to it, though lawyer / court fees vs an extra thousand or two off the deal probably wouldn't really be worth the time and effort if he reneges on the deal he agreed to via text.

As others have stated it's highly unlikely a dealer would want to tank their reputation by selling a custom order out from under you, and as long as you have something recorded (voice mail, text message, email) of the price numbers to remind them at sale time that they had previously agreed to it, you should be good to go.
Thanks for replying. I do have emails from him saying that he agreed to a certain discount and placed the order for me. I guess these should suffice...
Appreciate 1
      04-09-2021, 02:49 AM   #10
julianksb
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M5

You did the right thing when you left the credit application. You should always ask for it if you are not given it. This is really a great proof and I don't think you need anything else for that. In my case, that was enough. A few months ago I chose a 2017 BMW 4 Series Coupe for myself here at sizedly.com I also got it a few weeks later. I also suspected that the dealers would be able to give the car to someone else, but my lawyer friend said that the credit application is an excellent proof for me. But all the same, I think that it is worth reading the documents once again to make sure of this.

Last edited by julianksb; 04-21-2021 at 03:41 PM..
Appreciate 0