Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Sport or Comfort TRANSMISSION in Sport Individual Mode...

03-03-2021, 11:40 AM   #1
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Sport or Comfort TRANSMISSION in Sport Individual Mode...

Hello everyone,

Since getting my previous 2018 440i Coupe and then 2020 M340i I’ve always set the driving mode to Sport Individual whereby I put the engine and transmission into “Sport” but leave the steering and suspension in “Comfort” so I get good engine and gearbox response but the suspension is still compliant and steering not too heavy.

The above worked well on my 440i. However, I find that whilst having the M340i in Sport Individual, the engine sounds better and is more responsive I don’t like how, with the transmission also in “Sport”, the gearbox lingers in gears and make rather ridiculous-sounding attempts to make downshifts sound like heel and toe gear change in a manual gearbox car!

I’m thus experimenting with the car in Sport Individual but with only the engine set to “Sport” and everything else including the transmission set to “Comfort”. To me, the transmission seems just as responsive whilst also changing up and down more smoothly without the “heel and toe” noise theatrics!

My question is if I leave my setting for Sport Individual as above i.e. transmission effectively in “Comfort”, what would then happen if I flick the transmission selector over to the left into (yet another?) Sport mode?? Would that make the transmission more or less responsive than if it was set as “Sport” within the drive mode?

I sometimes wish cars just had one setting for everything like they used to in the Seventies and Eighties! 😀
Appreciate 1
Maxdog49.00
      03-03-2021, 11:52 AM   #2
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

In my experience switching from D to S by moving the shifter to the left (even in comfort mode) makes the transmission more responsive than driving in D in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
In my experience switching from D to S by moving the shifter to the left (even in comfort mode) makes the transmission more responsive than driving in D in Sport mode.
Thank you. I’ve always been confused as to whether (all other things being equal), the transmission is more responsive in Drive Mode “Sport” or (with the Drive Mode in “Comfort”) with the lever flicked over to the left. Is the “Sport” transmission setting in the Drive Mode the same as the “Sport” setting by moving the transmission lever? Leading on from that, if the Drive Mode (transmission) is in “Sport” AND the lever is pushed to the left, does it become even more responsive? I’ve never managed to get a believable reply to this question even by BMW dealers!

Last edited by NthKent; 03-03-2021 at 12:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:20 PM   #4
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Just a question that came to mind when reading this. I know you're talking about having the vehicle in automatic mode, but I wonder how many people ever shift manually with the paddle shifters. I don't yet have a feel for the M340i since I haven't taken delivery of it yet and had a rather limited test drive but I'm so used to manually shifting my automatic transmission vehicles, albeit they have primarily been DCT as opposed to the ZF8 in the Bimmer.

It's strange but I'm so used to manually shifting all the time it's actually strange for me to drive in full Auto mode. I think the reason for that is I've driven cars that are either too aggressive in Sport mode or just too tame in Drive or Comfort mode. This is exclusive to my experience with Audi. The ONLY time I rarely manually shifted was with my 2014 B8.5 S4 sedan which had a brilliantly set transmission and throttle mapping, at least it was for me.

Sorry if this is a bit OT.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 01:28 PM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by NthKent View Post
Thank you. I’ve always been confused as to whether (all other things being equal), the transmission is more responsive in Drive Mode “Sport” or (with the Drive Mode in “Comfort”) with the lever flicked over to the left. Is the “Sport” transmission setting in the Drive Mode the same as the “Sport” setting by moving the transmission lever? Leading on from that, if the Drive Mode (transmission) is in “Sport” AND the lever is pushed to the left, does it become even more responsive? I’ve never managed to get a believable reply to this question even by BMW dealers!
I've always seen the Sport transmission mode as a "half way" setting to full Sport transmission programming, with the shifter to M/S.

For me, that has been the experience since 'modes' were introduced. Sport mode elevates the change rpm and slightly increases the shift speed. M/S position gives even higher rpm change points and faster shift speeds.

One test is to drive in Sport transmission mode and simply flick the shifter to M/S, typically down changes a gear, partly dependent on the rpm range you are in.

Don't envisage the latest models to be different than what we've been experiencing for years.
Appreciate 2
RedKloud736.00
NthKent135.50
      03-03-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

This chart is from the F30 days but is still relevant.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=34
Appreciate 3
RedKloud736.00
NthKent135.50
jmack548.50
      03-03-2021, 01:40 PM   #7
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Just a question that came to mind when reading this. I know you're talking about having the vehicle in automatic mode, but I wonder how many people ever shift manually with the paddle shifters. I don't yet have a feel for the M340i since I haven't taken delivery of it yet and had a rather limited test drive but I'm so used to manually shifting my automatic transmission vehicles, albeit they have primarily been DCT as opposed to the ZF8 in the Bimmer.
I drive according to my mood. Most of the time in Drive, with the occasional paddle selection when I'm wanting to be one step ahead of the car's electronics and responses. Or simply fancy more involvement.

I suggest anyone new to the ZF 8-speed, experiment. Get to know the 'box and its finer nuances. Just think "what does it need to know", throttle and brake inputs are a major part of the driver adaptation, required to get it doing what you want.

Don't forget you also have the 'Adaptive mode' to experiment with, even more suited to driver and condition adaptation.
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12792.50
NthKent135.50
      03-03-2021, 01:59 PM   #8
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Thanks for the insight HighlandPete!
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 02:53 PM   #9
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post

It's strange but I'm so used to manually shifting all the time it's actually strange for me to drive in full Auto mode. I think the reason for that is I've driven cars that are either too aggressive in Sport mode or just too tame in Drive or Comfort mode. This is exclusive to my experience with Audi. The ONLY time I rarely manually shifted was with my 2014 B8.5 S4 sedan which had a brilliantly set transmission and throttle mapping, at least it was for me.

Sorry if this is a bit OT.
No worries! I’m the opposite to you; I’ve never used the paddles in any of my many many automatic cars. I never use cruise control or head up display either even though they are on the car as part of packs or as standard equipment.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2021, 03:05 PM   #10
NthKent
Private First Class
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post
This chart is from the F30 days but is still relevant.

https://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...8&postcount=34
Very interesting, just what I was looking for! Thanks very much!
Appreciate 1
njfoses288.00