Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum out of state registration fee?

03-05-2021, 02:36 PM   #1
wrdnk
Rep
Drives: N/A

out of state registration fee?

I placed an order with a dealership (PA). I am in NY. Do dealers charge these extra registration fees to out-of-state customers? If so, how much are they? Are these fixed amounts based on zip code or can they charge whatever amount they want like dealer fees?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 06:13 PM   #2
GD1981
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340i

I’ve leased my last 3 vehicles out of state (im in nj) and you dont pay extra for registration fees meaning you pay whatever your state of resident registration fee is. If they over charge you, theyll reimburse you; they wouldn’t be allowed to keep it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2021, 07:36 PM   #3
wrdnk
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by GD1981 View Post
I’ve leased my last 3 vehicles out of state (im in nj) and you dont pay extra for registration fees meaning you pay whatever your state of resident registration fee is. If they over charge you, theyll reimburse you; they wouldn’t be allowed to keep it.
Relieved to know that.. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 10:19 PM   #4
00SH4WN
We are what we allow ourselves to be...
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY20 F82 SMB ZCP

Garage List
2020 M4  [10.00]
Yes, my experience as well. The registration fees are usually a transfer of fees that the out of state dealer is handling for you; since they possess the out of state title for the car this is the preferred process for getting the vehicle registered in your name/state efficiently.

They may charge a separate small amount (I think mine was about $25?) that is also going to another company responsible for handling the out of state registration process. Everyone I've spoken to has stressed the importance of letting a third party like this handle it as it usually requires you to be in that other state if you do decide to do it on your own.

My dealer over-calculated my CA registration fees by $60 and later sent me a check for the difference. This was nice because I had no idea that was due to me.😊