Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Connected App Stopped Working

03-06-2021, 02:17 PM   #1
Bossfanva
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Connected App Stopped Working

Hello. I'm in the US and my Connected app stopped working two weeks ago. I wondered if anyone else was having the same issue. From looking at the Apple App Store reviews, I'd say so. The app tracks where I am personally but says my car is in a different spot than it actually is (my home garage, and at another part of the building than it actually is). Vehicle information such as fuel level is outdated and the remote functions aren't working (starting the engine, locking/unlocking, etc.).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

Yes mine does this from time to time. You probably need to update your iDrive software.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 02:30 PM   #3
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Maybe you need to upgrade to the My BMW app? Check if it's already available in the app store

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 05:17 PM   #4
Biglewey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e, Morgan Plus 4

I had a problem with failing to downloaded routes sent from connected drive - got a message about not logged on?!. Everything else like monitoring postion, status, fuel level and pre-conditioning all worked. BMW recommended a hard reset (on my model late 2020 330e) by holding down the power button (on volume control) until the screen went blank and then waiting for it to re-boot. All sorted.. might work for you. Oh and it keeps all you personal data and settings - well did for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2021, 06:32 PM   #5
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Exact same issue which started about 2 weeks ago. After a lot of google searches I found this procedure completely corrected the problem for me.

First go to the home screen and select APPS.
When you select it you get the Installed apps page. Before clicking Installed Apps hit the Option button. This will bring up a menu to update apps and services. Click that and wait until finished.

After it's done you will need to hard reset idrive. Push and hold the volume button for 45 secs. You want the idrive to restart twice so make sure you do at least 45 secs.

Now on your phone (I have an apple device) delete the BMW connected app and restart your phone. Re install the BMW Connected app. Sign back in to the app and everything should work again.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-07-2021, 08:52 PM   #6
Bossfanva
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheBimmer View Post
Exact same issue which started about 2 weeks ago. After a lot of google searches I found this procedure completely corrected the problem for me.

First go to the home screen and select APPS.
When you select it you get the Installed apps page. Before clicking Installed Apps hit the Option button. This will bring up a menu to update apps and services. Click that and wait until finished.

After it's done you will need to hard reset idrive. Push and hold the volume button for 45 secs. You want the idrive to restart twice so make sure you do at least 45 secs.

Now on your phone (I have an apple device) delete the BMW connected app and restart your phone. Re install the BMW Connected app. Sign back in to the app and everything should work again.
Thanks all. Really appreciate the replies. The app miraculously started working again this morning without me doing anything. Go figure!
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2021, 08:20 PM   #7
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

On my android phone, the app won't update the location/status etc unless you send it a command (like remote start, lock, unlock). Without the command, it shows the last known status at the time of start. Is that how it works for everyone? For my Audis and VWs, it shows real time status (say I check the car at 5.30pm after parking it somewhere at 8am, it shows the status of the vehicle at 5.30pm. For my BMW, if I do the same thing, it shows the status at 8am and not at 5.30pm unless I send a lock command or something and then it updates).
2017 Audi A7 Prestige
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 06:14 AM   #8
gnolivos
Captain
Rep
Drives: Various BMW

I have an iOS device. Mine behaves the same way as you describe. I find it an odd choice in design if this is how it is meant to work. But I think this is normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
On my android phone, the app won't update the location/status etc unless you send it a command (like remote start, lock, unlock). Without the command, it shows the last known status at the time of start. Is that how it works for everyone? For my Audis and VWs, it shows real time status (say I check the car at 5.30pm after parking it somewhere at 8am, it shows the status of the vehicle at 5.30pm. For my BMW, if I do the same thing, it shows the status at 8am and not at 5.30pm unless I send a lock command or something and then it updates).
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2022, 07:21 AM   #9
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Yes that's how it works.. Basically the car sends data to the cloud (Azure Cloud) and when you access the app on your phone, it is actually connecting to Azure Cloud to retrieve that data. Your phone/app isn't interacting with the car DIRECTLY.

My guess is that the system is not designed to send information to the Cloud persistently as a way of preserving battery life.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2022, 11:46 PM   #10
Gazmo
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 220D sport

Garage List
2022 i4 40  [0.00]
Was having trouble with my pixel 7 pro not connecting, this rectified my issue.

It did take me a while to work out that the 'options' is a physical button on the idrive controls and not the screen.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2022, 10:33 PM   #11
euioefhigel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

I have experienced this as well handful of times but it mysteriously resolved itself. I heard a hard reboot of the iDrive system will help (long press the power/volume knob), but I haven’t tried yet to confirm. If it happens again for me next time, I’ll definitely give it a try.
Appreciate 0