Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin newbie First year out of maintenance warranty Would love advice

11-24-2022, 12:49 AM   #1
bballlova99
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

newbie First year out of maintenance warranty Would love advice

I have a 2019 330i that's at about 23k miles on it. I drive 4-4.5k miles a year (once or twice a week on weekends) in San Francisco.

iDrive has notified me that it's time for my annual oil change and "Vehicle check". The dealership also told me that it's time for the microfilter to be replaced

I called the dealership and they told me that an oil change would be approximately $249 (including a complimentary multi-point inspection) and I have no idea what the vehicle check is.

Other shops in the area told me a vehicle check would be ~$420 (Although maybe they don't understand what this is). I'm not sure if this is the same as the complimentary multi point inspection

Any tips on what to do next given that I only drive ~4.5 miles a year?

Note: I am currently under the 5 Year CPO warranty so worried about risking that too.

Last edited by bballlova99; 11-24-2022 at 01:20 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2022, 12:16 PM   #2
RCook
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW 330i

Find an indie mechanic who works on German cars.

Oil change is easy to do, shouldn't cost more than 1/2 to 1 hour labor and $50-70 parts, depending on oil used. I found the Castrol Edge or Valvoline Euro fine.
The cabin filter is a bit tricky to change the first time, but several good YouTubes are a help. Keep the receipt and proof of oil used in case there is a warranty issue.

Local BMW dealers (San Jose area) have specials for $100 to $150. Way to go IF you can avoid paying for the 'multi-point inspection'.

Those 'multi point inspections' are a scam. If 'free' OK, but dealers will try to charge $50-$150, so pass on that.

The standard advice is to change oil every year OR when 'oil service' warning light comes on. Usually about 8-10K miles. Cabin filter every other oil change, air filter every fourth one.

I have a CPO 2019 also. Just did 4th oil change, second cabin filter, and the air filter. Air filter was quite dirty, will change more often now.

If you buy your own parts, be aware that the air filter listed on Amazon is the WRONG one. But, you can get OEM cabin air and oil filters, as well as Castrol oil
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2022, 07:18 PM   #3
Emily172013
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i BMW 330ci

When driving by your dealership sometime, buy their oil and filter and then change it yourself when convenient for you. You can change it at home in half the time it takes to drive down to the dealership and wait for it.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2022, 10:16 AM   #4
skroonigan
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OuterBanks View Post
furthermore, if you want to change it yourself here are two good options. Put in your vehicle info and go to "Oil Change Kits" and you will get a selection of options including those with BWM OEM Filters, oil, drain plug ring and etc or other good selections such as Redline. To me it's not worth my time as the kits are approximately $100 which is what I can pay to have someone do it for me.

https://www.bimmerworld.com

https://www.fcpeuro.com
FYI, if you buy through FCP Euro, you can warranty your old oil and filter and basically get close to free oil changes if you DIY.
Appreciate 1
      12-12-2022, 09:32 PM   #5
danallxt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M240x, 2007 Honda VFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by skroonigan View Post
FYI, if you buy through FCP Euro, you can warranty your old oil and filter and basically get close to free oil changes if you DIY.
I have no idea what "warranty your old oil" means. Can someone help me?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2022, 01:39 PM   #6
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by danallxt View Post
I have no idea what "warranty your old oil" means. Can someone help me?
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
      12-13-2022, 04:40 PM   #7
Jryanl
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
https://www.fcpeuro.com/page/lifetime-guarantee
When they say “buy a replacement part” does it have to be the same product? For example, if I used a LM top tec 4200, do I need to buy the same oil, or can i buy, let’s say, motul oil?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2022, 12:19 AM   #8
1WickedE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jryanl View Post
When they say “buy a replacement part” does it have to be the same product? For example, if I used a LM top tec 4200, do I need to buy the same oil, or can i buy, let’s say, motul oil?
Feel free to contact FCPEuro to get the correct answer to your question, they are helpful folks.
      12-15-2022, 07:17 AM   #9
Jryanl
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1WickedE90 View Post
Feel free to contact FCPEuro to get the correct answer to your question, they are helpful folks.
They responded promptly.
It has to be the same oil.
Appreciate 0