Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Steering issue - 2021 M440i xdrive

08-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #23
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330ix

I've taken the liberty of scouring the forum and centralizing all reports of this issue into a single document.

There are a lot of reports. Enough that I think it warrants further investigation from BMW and a TSB/SIB issued for it. Hopefully something that the service department can drive. I'll definitely be sharing this document when I bring the car in next week.

Seems a few users have had success with either a Steering Column or Steering Rack replacement.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
      08-09-2023, 04:05 PM   #24
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLGrassoPA View Post
This is a known issue. Always worth trying to get BMW corporate to take back a newer 3/4 series because of steering issues with full value for a trade.

I appreciate your input, but as mentioned previously in the thread, you're talking about a different issue. Not really sure how copy pasting your reply from earlier really helps...

For reference, my car doesn't wander or require steering micro corrections. It tracks perfectly straight.

However, it developed this notchiness 2 months ago. Which is the main issue being discussed in this thread
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:45 PM   #25
SLGrassoPA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

I understand, I was kind of commenting on the "minor" play you mentioned. I really don't know about the "notchiness as you describe." Anyway, thanks for your post.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2023, 02:37 PM   #26
gofast182
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Update: the new steering rack did NOT fix the intermittent notch that shows up when the car is warm. Car will be going back in a week for whatever's next. Looks like a steering column might be the answer. That said, the new rack did fix a clunk that was happening when turning the steering wheel to right lock.

TorBimmer, what you put together is great. I wish something like that existed for all tricky issues.

Summary:
New Tie rods = Fixed nothing (Clunk @ right lock remained, notch on center when warm remained)
New Steering rack = Fixed clunk @ right lock (Notch on center when warm remains)

Last edited by gofast182; 08-17-2023 at 03:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2023, 06:46 PM   #27
Solid2021
Rep
Drives: M340

I am having steering issues on a 2024 X3. There is a considerable amount of play in the steering on center and the car wanders on the highway.
Went back to the dealership the same week, thinking something was wrong. They did an alignment, but no improvement.

Has anyone tried lowering springs and reported improvement with sloppy steering? Seams like the issue is being reported on m440 some older m340 and new X3.

The vehicle does not feel safe under certain conditions. Why has this taken so long for a tsb ?
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 11:14 AM   #28
CGSNJ59
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW 330 X DRIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid2021 View Post
I am having steering issues on a 2024 X3. There is a considerable amount of play in the steering on center and the car wanders on the highway.
Went back to the dealership the same week, thinking something was wrong. They did an alignment, but no improvement.

Has anyone tried lowering springs and reported improvement with sloppy steering? Seams like the issue is being reported on m440 some older m340 and new X3.

The vehicle does not feel safe under certain conditions. Why has this taken so long for a tsb ?
TSB?? Not sure this is a safety issue. Still, BMW NA may swap your car for a new one that does not exhibit the steering play issue if you complain enough. Seems like some cars have the problem and others don't. Try getting your regional rep involved if the service department can't fix the issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 12:59 PM   #29
Solid2021
Rep
Drives: M340

If you experienced it first hand its certainly a safety issue. Above 55 mph the car is unresponsive on center. The car starts to wander but you only notice because the vehicle is wandering its not felt in the steering. This causes the diver to have to correct. Imagine your changing lanes or avoiding a hazard at the same time. I got a bmw because they have a reputation for the ultimate driving machine this is an issue that should have been resolved by now. I will try contacting them
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #30
CGSNJ59
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid2021 View Post
If you experienced it first hand its certainly a safety issue. Above 55 mph the car is unresponsive on center. The car starts to wander but you only notice because the vehicle is wandering its not felt in the steering. This causes the diver to have to correct. Imagine your changing lanes or avoiding a hazard at the same time. I got a bmw because they have a reputation for the ultimate driving machine this is an issue that should have been resolved by now. I will try contacting them

I and many, many others have experienced the wandering problem with the 3 series steering.

There are numerous professional reviews and respected publications, C&D, R&T, Motor Trend that you can look at. Edmunds has time and time written about the wandering problem.

I was just saying that it may be easiest to get BMW to take back the car at full value on a trade which, hopefully, does not have the steering issue. Good luck, hope you get it resolved.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      08-22-2023, 09:25 PM   #31
SLGrassoPA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

Solid2021, I do believe this thread is more about the notch issue, not the amount of play / wandering issue. There are many threads throughout this site that discuss the wandering issue.

That said, the advent of electronic steering sometimes reduces accuracy, steering feedback and driver engagement.

However, when it comes to BMW 3 series steering, it seems the steering feedback, and especially wandering problem, is way worse than the competition from MB and Audi. That's my opinion.
Appreciate 2
CSBM52722.50
gofast182628.50
      08-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #32
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Minor update.

My car is in the shop right now. Despite my recommendations to look at the steering column, they're starting with replacing the steering rack. I'm sure they have their reasons. If the issue isn't resolved, they'll probably look at the column next.

The almost brand new 2023 330ix M-Sport loaner they gave me doesn't have the notchy steering issue at all. Can confirm since I went on a 2 hour road trip the past weekend and the steering was perfect. Smooth and well weighted.
Appreciate 1
CSBM52722.50
      08-25-2023, 02:07 PM   #33
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Let us know how it goes. Maybe you could update your spreadsheet after?
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2023, 10:47 AM   #34
CGSNJ59
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast182 View Post
Let us know how it goes. Maybe you could update your spreadsheet after?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 02:55 AM   #35
plexxi
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 635, BMW 645, BMW 320d

My car had exactly the issue described in the original post. Notchiness when warm. Came slowly more and more often since 30.000km.

Now at 70.000 km I decided to get this fixed. Very unreproduceible. Some days terrible, some days perfect. My workshop determined the steering rack had to be replaced. They removed the steering column and could feel "something strange going on" when turning the input shaft of the steering rack.
But during 2 months waiting for a new part + vacation I had zero issues.

Anyway, the rack and outer tie rods replaced since some weeks and car feels great.
But I cant help but thinking that just removing the steering column to feel the rack input shaft during diagnosis sorted the problem since I had zero issues since the first workshop visit.

(remembering my old E60 that had a clunk noise that was sorted by just removing steering column and telescoping it i a few times to redistribute the grease inside the sliding part)

Car is an early 2020 G21 touring 320d Xdrive M-sport with the 2VL variable sport steering option.
BMW 635 Csi -84
BMW 645Ci -04
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #36
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by plexxi View Post
They removed the steering column and could feel "something strange going on" when turning the input shaft of the steering rack.
But during 2 months waiting for a new part + vacation I had zero issues.

Anyway, the rack and outer tie rods replaced since some weeks and car feels great.
But I cant help but thinking that just removing the steering column to feel the rack input shaft during diagnosis sorted the problem since I had zero issues since the first workshop visit.
Good for users with this type of problem to keep your experience in mind.

The EPS rack gets blamed for a lot of the strange steering behaviour, I've never been convinced it is always the direct cause.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2023, 01:28 AM   #37
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

Summary:
Baseline - Old Rack / Old Column : Notchy & Loose Steering
08/29/2023 - New Rack / Old Column : Notchy Steering , but no looseness

I'll update the spreadsheet after I'm done with this saga...

================================================== =======

Good news and bad news.

I'll start with the bad. The steering rack replacement didn't fix the notchyness. It's improved, but it still doesn't feel right. There's still a distinct notch when doing small steering adjustments off center. Most importantly, I can still turn the wheel 5-10 degrees left/right when the car is stationary and hit the notches. I didn't feel this at all in the loaner 330i LCI.

The good news. The new steering rack got rid of the loosey goosey feeling in the steering (which developed around the same time as the notches). It's now as solid and weighty as I remember it brand new. Car tracks super straight now with real weight in the steering - nice.

The work order indicated "found possible internal fault with steering rack, but no diagnostic codes related to rack". The foreman is on vacation so I didn't get a chance to dig deeper into what this meant. I assume it means no codes indicating a fault, but they might have physically seen or felt something wrong with the physical part during/after removal.

What's next?
I'll be bringing the car back and pushing for steering column replacement. Fortuneatly, my dealership is excellent and committed to fixing this. Hopefully this is the silver bullet.

How do I know my car has a steering issue?
Two things.

One: I've had my car since new from June 2020 - I'm pretty intune with it so I know when something is "off". The steering is really quite unpleasant right now. The notches makes the steering feel non-linear, so I can never predict what my steering wheel will do and how the car responds. It makes doing small maneuvers and lane changes at highway speeds really unpleasant. The equivalent is like using a shitty sim racing wheel with poorly calibrated force feedback - the wheel is giving you errant signals that don't correlate with what the car is actually doing...

Two: I've had a brand new 2023 330i M-Sport the past 2 weeks, and put a fair bit of km on it. The steering is perfectly weighted, precise and mostly importantly it's smooth & linear. There are no notches. I can trust and lean on the car because the steering wheel isn't doing weird things. Was great to drive.

Unrelated point about the LCI 330i M-Sport. I think they softened it one tick. Feels like softer rebound and softer springs. It rides better compared to my 2020, where the edge is taken off of bigger bumps, and also leans a bit more in corners with one-tick slower response. OR, it's the tire difference. Loaner LCI was on the Bridgestone Turanzas and my 2020 is on Pirelli P7s - both are shit - I can't wait to get Michelin PS4S or AS4 on there.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 08:09 AM   #38
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Yes I will say the new rack tightened up the steering nicely, although I'd give that up if it meant getting rid of this notch.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2023, 09:34 AM   #39
chutoy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
For those who have the steering noise, do you have spacers and if so, did it occur after installing?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2023, 04:31 PM   #40
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Change tyres. Borrow from a friend wheels that fit 4 series and try if there is a difference. To me it looks like tyre problem.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 07:26 AM   #41
gofast182
Captain
Rep

Wasn't able to duplicate the problem during a ride-along with the shop foreman of my local dealer (why do cars never show symptoms when you need them to?). I sent him a video where I was stationary showing how I'd apply increasing pressure to the steering wheel and it would break over the notch. That was enough for him to decide the steering column needed to be replaced. The car is in the shop now. Fingers crossed...
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 03:38 PM   #42
CGSNJ59
Private
Rep

I would suggest you get a regional representative from BMW of North America involved. They may help facilitate a replacement of your vehicle with little to no out of pocket. Issues with BMW steering are widespread and I am sure very known by any regional representative. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2023, 09:58 AM   #43
TorBimmer
Enlisted Member
Rep

New upper steering column replacement fixed the notchy steering!

Apparently, this is becoming a more common and known issue to BMW engineers. I don't know if a service bulletin will come out of this, but the upper brass should know about it. If you have notchy steering, escalate to regional reps or engineers in germany - they should recommend a steering column replacement.

To summarize:
New steering rack = fixed the looseness in the steering
New upper steering column = fixed the notchyness in the steering
Appreciate 3
CSBM52722.50
gofast182628.50
      10-14-2023, 03:41 PM   #44
omid1985h
Registered
Rep
Drives: G23 430i Convertible

Hello, friends. My car, a G23 2022 model, is experiencing the exact same issue - a noticeable notchy feeling (steering wheel get stuck) around 5-10 degree turn. I am absolutely certain that this problem began after 11/2022 SW update. After going through all the comments here, it appears that the steering column may have a friction layer issue, possibly caused by the challenges BMW faced during the COVID-19 pandemic, leading to them sourcing lower quality parts for 2020/2021/2022 cars. This issue seems to have become more apparent after the software update made the steering feel firmer.

I've had a very frustrating experience when attempting to show these issues to repair centers in the California Bay Area. The foreman always claims they can't reproduce the issue, even when it's quite obvious. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone could guide me on how to address this problem. Are there any official documents or SIBs that reference this type of steering issue? Or is there a specific source I can contact for assistance? Thanks.
Appreciate 0