Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Help me decide - better engine or better options

03-20-2024, 05:24 AM   #1
JacBres
Rep
Drives: F30

Help me decide - better engine or better options

So I am about to finish my G20 configuration and still have a lot of doubt.

Generally, I increased the price massively compared to what I was planning at the beginning.

Initially I was confident that 320i will be my choice. But now I'm thinking about getting 330i.

But to get the 330i I have to put off some options.
- HUD (very cool, but I don't have any personal experience if it is really so useful);
- electric seats (just cool, the levers seem so outdated)
- sunroof (makes a very nice atmosphere inside);
- electric trunk (easy to open with a foot swing and no need to touch the trunk when it's dirty);
- parking assistant (nice, but I am fully confident I will park the car myself much faster);

Which one of those do you think is the easiest and the best to get over?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 05:56 AM   #2
srbs73
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

My order from must have to nice to have would be the same as you have above:
- HUD - I've had one since 2011 and couldn't live without it. It feels unsafe when I drive other cars having to look away from the road to check speed / directions.
- Electric Seat with memory - less important if only you will drive the car, but if you are swapping regularly with your partner, it's a pain.
- Sunroof - I open it on warm days, but it's the extra light all year round I'd miss.
- Electric trunk - use it regularly when hands are full. Also pop it open from inside the car so when I get out it's open.
- Parking assistant - I have it, as it was part of a pack. Virtually never use the auto-park. However, I can't remember if the surround view is included only with the park assist. If so, I use this all the time so would move up above the electric trunk if so.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 06:18 AM   #3
JacBres
Rep

Thanks. The surround view is only available with the parking assistant Plus - so it's one level up the standard parking assistant.

So at the moment I think I will keep the HUD and the electric trunk.

If I leave out the parking assistant I could keep the sunroof or the electric seats (one of the two).
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2024, 06:53 AM   #4
KarimS
Private
Rep
Drives: 2024 M340i

Electric trunk is completely useless on a sedan imo. From what you listed HUD is the most important one for me. But definitely 330 over 320 at any cost. You’ll regret getting a 20i - source, had a F36 20i and hated myself for not splurging for the 30i.
Appreciate 3
      03-20-2024, 07:13 AM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacBres View Post
- HUD: This is the one that's easiest to get over. In the past, cars had tiny entertainment and nav screens and the current BMW's screens are massive, there is no reason for HUD anymore.

- Electric seats: This is the one you'd miss the most unless 1) you are the only driver of the car and 2) you rarely have a front seat passenger. For many, this is a daily commuter car and the car dad uses to take the kids to soccer practice and so electric seats are surprisingly unnecessary.

- Sunroof: I keep mine closed, frankly, I don't need the sun warming up the car and the glare is distracting. I had a convertible and a sunroof is useless for that open-air feeling anyway.

- Electric trunk: This would actually be the biggest deal to me. Once you have it, you can't go back to manual. I use this a dozen times a week.

- Parking assistant: Useless, don't bother.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 06:16 PM   #6
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Shredding power seats and moonroof likely can save 100-150lb of weight, so I would go with your 330i build any day.

I don't have HUD, parking assist, nor electric trunk, so I don't miss those.

I have used my moonroof once or twice in last 3 years to make sure it still works, so I won't miss that.

I only readjust my power seat after the dealer service guys move it around, so technically I also won't miss that.

Quote:

Generally, I increased the price massively compared to what I was planning at the beginning.

Initially I was confident that 320i will be my choice. But now I'm thinking about getting 330i.

- HUD (very cool, but I don't have any personal experience if it is really so useful);
- electric trunk (easy to open with a foot swing and no need to touch the trunk when it's dirty);
- parking assistant (nice, but I am fully confident I will park the car myself much faster);

Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 07:11 PM   #7
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M550i xDrive (2020)

Garage List
HUD and sunroof are a big deal to me.

Kick to open trunk only works half the time.

Electric seats are pretty useful.

RETIRED: 2018 540i Luxury Line (Dark Graphite/Canberra Beige)
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 07:30 PM   #8
Davg31
First Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: G23

For me, it's only the engine that counts ;=) the HUD doesn't improve driving, the engine does.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2024, 09:34 PM   #9
4WDFAN
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i (on order)

This is my take

HUD: I have it but would not miss it.
electric seats: if you are not the only driver, electric seat memory is very useful.
sunroof: I hardly use it. In my previous car, sunroof developed a rattle.
electric trunk: I have kick-to-open feature which I occasionally use but can live without
parking assistant (nice, but I am fully confident I will park the car myself much faster); I do not use the automated feature, but surround-view cameras make parking easier.

I would go for a better engine.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 01:57 AM   #10
JacBres
Rep

Thank you all!

Apparently there are many different opinions.

At the moment I am leaning towards:

1. keeping the electric seats - I am basically the only driver, but the levers are so outdated. This is a small thing but gives the car more luxurious taste.

2. I will leave out the HUD - It's nice, I know, but all in all it's just mirroring some information that I will have anyway on the screens. And it's quite expensive.

3. I will leave out the sunroof - most of people confirm they use it very seldom.

4. I am not convinced about the electric trunk, but seems reasonable to keep it. I hate touching the dirty trunk.

5. the parking assistant - still undecided.

But I am happy you assured me that I should take the better engine even at the cost of lowering the option level.

There was a very nice argument about the additional weight! Apparently the sunroof + power seats are about 60 kg. That's like one not so small passenger in a car.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 02:39 AM   #11
M3FortiIZay
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I

Quote:
Thank you all!

1. keeping the electric seats - I am basically the only driver, but the levers are so outdated. This is a small thing but gives the car more luxurious taste.

2. I will leave out the HUD - It's nice, I know, but all in all it's just mirroring some information that I will have anyway on the screens. And it's quite expensive.

3. I will leave out the sunroof - most of people confirm they use it very seldom.

4. I am not convinced about the electric trunk, but seems reasonable to keep it. I hate touching the dirty trunk.

But I am happy you assured me that I should take the better engine even at the cost of lowering the option level.

There was a very nice argument about the additional weight! Apparently the sunroof + power seats are about 60 kg. That's like one not so small passenger in a car.
Yeah everything you listed you can skip for the bigger engine. The only thing I love, especially if you get a front splitter, or lower the car is the parking assistant. I love the 360 cameras, that way I never ruin my front splitter on a concrete wheel stop.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 03:12 AM   #12
Roki49
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: G20 330i 2022

Quote:
You don't need electric trunk to open it with foot. It is a comfort access feature. But, of course, then you have to close it manually

For me, sunroof is the most expendable feature for me. Not so small weight in the most teribble spot and in Poland you wouldn't use it half a year.
Appreciate 2
RoGo330i142.50
      03-21-2024, 03:31 AM   #13
RoGo330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW330i2022

Quote:
Thank you all!

Hi OP: Congrats on almost getting your 330i. I love mine! Yes, there are lots of good opinions, and people are very supportive on the forum where I’ve learned a lot. As posters have said here: go for the better engine first — and then you can see which of your build list is least important to you.
1. Electric seats would be the option I would keep. You can set your favorite seat position, and then you still can do instant refined adjustments on longer drives, and can as easily back up your seat all the way for vacuuming or getting out of the car smoothly.
2. I never use the HUD. (I know lots of folks like it, but I found it distracting, so I shut it off.)
3. I have opened the sun roof twice; also, many forum folks have had experiences of their sunroofs rattling or leaking.
4. I have the foot trunk activater, too. It’s temperamental, and so you get used to opening/closing your trunk, old school style.
5. Hey, parking a 330i is fun! The side mirrors dip down and can help to avoid wheel curb scraping. You don’t really need assist.

Keep us posted! And, what color combo are you choosing?
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 07:57 AM   #14
JacBres
Rep

So that's my config. Sorry it's in Polish.

https://configure.bmw.pl/pl_PL/summa...ate=2024-05-07

I will get the 19" wheels (i will fit the summer tires), and the stock 18" will get the winter tires.

(now as I am going with the 330i I want the 330i logo on my trunk, I didn't want it when I was thinking about the 320i, haha)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2024, 09:32 AM   #15
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Sunroof seems like one of those options people really need or really don’t. I use mine constantly, even when it’s colder out I will turn on heated seats and heat on lower air vents so I can ride with the sunroof open.

Other people never use it. It’s just dependent on the driver.

Appreciate 2
      03-21-2024, 10:14 AM   #16
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

Good question!

Check the model with the larger engine as it may extra options included anyway potentially

+1 for HUD

Suggest alternative? Keep saving and get both at a later date?
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 10:27 AM   #17
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
So that's my config. Sorry it's in Polish
Wow 4 years/200k km inclusive repair program, that is 125k miles, is that great coverage at no extra cost?
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2024, 12:13 PM   #18
sikotic
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340I

Quote:

- HUD is nice but you really don't need it. I specifically decided to not go with it twice.

- Electric seats you'll prob want esp in a higher end car!

-Sunroof, I hardly use mine anyways because so many ppl have complained that they begin to rattle after use. So that was an easy choice for me.

- I like the electric trunk a lot, but I never use the "kick" option. I just like how I can open it with the key. I can also open and shut it from the inside using the button on the door.

- Parking assistant PLUS is amazing (not sure if thats an option) but I have the 3D view and the automatic reverse and that has come in handy a couple times

330i is also the better option than the 320, you won't regret.
Appreciate 2
RoGo330i142.50
      03-21-2024, 04:22 PM   #19
JacBres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
Good question!

Check the model with the larger engine as it may extra options included anyway potentially

+1 for HUD

Suggest alternative? Keep saving and get both at a later date?
The larger engine (330i) does not have any options included. The M340i does. But it's much more expensive.

I have to decide on monday at the latest, because there are very good discounts (-20%) as the LCI2 is coming. Anyway even right now there is a possibility that I will get the LCI2, and might have to pay additional 3-5%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bavarianride View Post
Wow 4 years/200k km inclusive repair program, that is 125k miles, is that great coverage at no extra cost?
It costs 3300 PLN, it's about 840 USD.

I decided I will keep the power seats - even though its only me driving the car, I will setup two positions for myself: the sporty entertaining setup and relaxed drive setup
Appreciate 3
NGT25619.00
RoGo330i142.50
      03-21-2024, 07:44 PM   #20
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It costs 3300 PLN, it's about 840 USD.

I decided I will keep the power seats - even though its only me driving the car, I will setup two positions for myself: the sporty entertaining setup and relaxed drive setup
I’ve got one seat setting for boots and one for normal sole shoes

Appreciate 1
      03-22-2024, 02:04 AM   #21
JacBres
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGT2 View Post
I’ve got one seat setting for boots and one for normal sole shoes
Great idea!

Guys, there's something more - There's the driver assistant professional systems in my configuration (the one with the additional lights on the steering wheel).

As I read it includes:
- the Stop & go adaptative cruise control
- everything that's in the driver assistant basic version;
- some extras that allow you to keep your hands off the steering wheel and the car will drive itself on a highway or in a traffic jam, as well as the car will stay in the lane.

Do the above features work everywhere on every road or only on specific roads chosen by BMW? Why I am asking - I would be very disappointed if it turns out that I have a very advanced systems that doesn't work on most roads in my country. I already found some information that for example in Germany the car will stop automatically at the red light, whereas in my country that feature doesn't work and the car won't detect the red light.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2024, 09:25 AM   #22
NGT2
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Great idea!

Guys, there's something more - There's the driver assistant professional systems in my configuration (the one with the additional lights on the steering wheel).

As I read it includes:
- the Stop & go adaptative cruise control
- everything that's in the driver assistant basic version;
- some extras that allow you to keep your hands off the steering wheel and the car will drive itself on a highway or in a traffic jam, as well as the car will stay in the lane.

Do the above features work everywhere on every road or only on specific roads chosen by BMW? Why I am asking - I would be very disappointed if it turns out that I have a very advanced systems that doesn't work on most roads in my country. I already found some information that for example in Germany the car will stop automatically at the red light, whereas in my country that feature doesn't work and the car won't detect the red light.
In the US it doesn’t detect red lights. But the feature is great and works well. The requirement for the highway lane keeping is that the road have clearly painted lines. It’s not predetermined roads but the cameras have to be able to pick up the lines. So if you have clearly painted lines, it should work well. The traffic jam assist works based on following the car in front of you. I’ve used both many times. Great feature.

Appreciate 2