Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Lady Sideswipes me and then Drives Off

03-23-2024, 09:07 AM   #1
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i: RIP '18 440i MPPSK

Lady Sideswipes me and then Drives Off

If you don't have a dash cam - Get one. The world has gone mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNxnVZ7IOf4

I usually run out, on my lunch, to take care of some errands. I work long days (7am to 5pm), and so it helps out a lot, to take care of things on my lunch break.

Headed back to work - the right hand traffic is moving a bit slow. I move to passing lane (and used my signals lol) . . . then proceed to drive about 15 yards (not speeding) to pass the vehicles ahead of me in left lane.

Just as I am almost nose to nose, passing a white Lincoln, she comes over into my lane and swipes the whole side of my M340i. And then she quickly pulls back to her lane - and ACCELERATES to take off. I had to chase her down!!

When she finally pulled over - she was mad at ME. Yelling at me "what do you want". She denied hitting me. Until I told her to turn around and smile for the camera. Side note: Car reeked of marijuana and her speaking was semi-delayed sluggish. (So was her driving lol).

Instantly her face changed. She said "FINE". Swapped insurance. She has State Farm. I went back to work. I called my insurance and provided the video and information. My insurance was great.

Her insurance (State Farm) called me, within 3 minutes of my insurance filing claim. State Farm instantly took full liability and offered me repairs and rental. All because the video said it all.

My point of this post is - if you are on the fence about a dash cam. Get one. This scenario could have become a he said she said. And a police report does not always change that. Many years ago, a woman lost control of her vehicle in the snow and pushed me off the road. She was a very pretty young woman. When the police came, the decided it was "no fault" (because she was so pretty. Really? Did the cop really think he had a chance to get his d sucked? what???). Again - dash cam would have changed that.

I currently use the ring car, because it gives me what I want. 24 hour recording to cloud (inside and out of car) and doubles as a dash cam.

In the end - I got lucky. She just nicked my car. I have some scuffs and scratches down the length of my car, but no major denting or anytinhg. The damage almost does not show - unless you are looking at it. Still, probably about 4k in damage (maybe new bumper).

Stay safe. And don't be a believer that people are good, kind and honest. You have mistaken 30 years ago for today.

Last edited by BingoTheClown; 03-23-2024 at 10:38 AM..
Appreciate 8
wrickem2101.00
zlatko117.50
EXE462100.00
LVBMW1335.50
      03-23-2024, 11:59 AM   #2
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: G87 M2 & M340i LCI

You had plenty of time to brake move left and avoid that, the car was indicating and telegraphed it. Clearly her fault, but driving defensively is the key to avoiding stuff like this.
Appreciate 1
Sandpiper121.50
      03-23-2024, 01:56 PM   #3
bimmerbenz65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 330xi

Garage List
2024 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
2022 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montaver View Post
You had plenty of time to brake move left and avoid that, the car was indicating and telegraphed it. Clearly her fault, but driving defensively is the key to avoiding stuff like this.
I hope I’m never on the road near you.
Appreciate 4
      03-23-2024, 02:48 PM   #4
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbenz65 View Post
I hope I’m never on the road near you.
Do you understand the concept of driving defensively?
Appreciate 1
Sandpiper121.50
      03-23-2024, 03:14 PM   #5
bimmerbenz65
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2024 330xi

Garage List
2024 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
2022 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Do you understand the concept of driving defensively?
Yep. The woman turned her signal on when OP’s front bumper was already past her rear bumper and just went over without looking.
Appreciate 2
      03-23-2024, 03:19 PM   #6
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerbenz65 View Post
Yep. The woman turned her signal on when OP’s front bumper was already past her rear bumper and just went over without looking.
Ok so you don’t understand. If your driving defensively, as the passing car you are aware and expecting that cars around you may act without regard for consequences. Especially when you are in a cars blind spot. In the video you can clearly see the car indicating from the dash cam, and they move over slowly enough that there was time to react. Your eyes are further back than the camera. I have been in this exact scenario many times because drivers have low situational awareness and had to take evasive action.
Appreciate 1
Sandpiper121.50
      03-23-2024, 03:57 PM   #7
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Not trying to be an a-hole here, but your comment kinda deserves it.

The most important part of defensive driving is to think several moves PAST what is currently happening. It's difficult. But I try to do that - even in last min judgment decisions.

Your idea of defensive driving is to simply- get out of the way. The end.

Mine is more in depth. The second she started to move, yes. I saw it. And I had to check all three mirrors instantaneously to ensure that I was not putting anyone else in danger (move you missed). THEN - I need to ensure that if I start to fade to the left . . . that I am not going to hit the guard rail - or some rubble on the side of the road. Hitting rubble could cause me to lose control of my car. Now - decisions need to be made instantaneously. I also know that if I hit the guard rail or another car - it's going to turn the cards on me and be MY FAULT. And yes. THAT MATTERS these days.

You - would have tapped your break and moved to the left . CLAP CLAP CLAP.

We are talking about a split second decision. Not everyone makes the same defensive choices that YOU DO. That doesn't mean they did not make choices, and take into consideration all moving parts. Your decisions are not the only ones that are correct all the time, regardless to wha you believe lol.

Quote:
kraken25.50
      03-23-2024, 04:13 PM   #8
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Duly Noted.

BackSeatDriver Alert !!!!! Apparently Montaver is the Defensive Driving God. He ASSUMES a lot in his hypothesis. He also assumes everyone should drive the way he does, and the world would be a better place. Clearly.

Some things you missed: From the time she actually activated her blinker (yes, I saw it), I had one second to react (0.05 to 0.06) That's a lot of time. And yet, there is a LOT to do, when making a defensive move in one second.

A Defensive driver is not just observant and prepared. He thinks his moves, several moves out. Not just - hey, get out of the way. You have to think it ALL out. In one second. Not just shake and bake.

1) I need to check all mirrors FAST, to make sure that whatever move I make, DEFENSIVELY would not end up hurting others or making things more dangerous.

2) I need to ensure that if I brake hard and fast enough, for her to clear my full vehicle, that the car behind me is not in jeopardy. Avoiding one accident to cause another is NOT Defensive Driving.

3) IF I make the decision to pull off to the left, there is not a lot of room. First off - you ASSUME she will "see the light" and stop rolling into my lane. Maybe. OR maybe, tapping my car is what WOKER HER UP. And had she not tapped my car, she would have crossed fully over, pushing me into the guard rail causing a lot more damage. Possibly involving more vehicles.

Now, If I pull off to the left, to avoid her - you can see, that there is not a lot of room. If I hit rubble on the ground, I could lose control of my car. If I hit the guard rail -I total my car and it becomes MY FAULT. And yes, that matters. In this crazy world. That matters now.

I had one second to make a decision with the least amount of impact. I did pretty good. You would have done it differently. Clap. Clap. Clap. I wish you could see me now . I am standing on my head, clapping for you.

Quote:
      03-23-2024, 04:13 PM   #9
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BingoTheClown View Post
Not trying to be an a-hole here, but your comment kinda deserves it.

The most important part of defensive driving is to think several moves PAST what is currently happening. It's difficult. But I try to do that - even in last min judgment decisions.

Your idea of defensive driving is to simply- get out of the way. The end.

Mine is more in depth. The second she started to move, yes. I saw it. And I had to check all three mirrors instantaneously to ensure that I was not putting anyone else in danger (move you missed). THEN - I need to ensure that if I start to fade to the left . . . that I am not going to hit the guard rail - or some rubble on the side of the road. Hitting rubble could cause me to lose control of my car. Now - decisions need to be made instantaneously. I also know that if I hit the guard rail or another car - it's going to turn the cards on me and be MY FAULT. And yes. THAT MATTERS these days.

You - would have tapped your break and moved to the left . CLAP CLAP CLAP.

We are talking about a split second decision. Not everyone makes the same defensive choices that YOU DO. That doesn't mean they did not make choices, and take into consideration all moving parts. Your decisions are not the only ones that are correct all the time, regardless to wha you believe lol.
All I see here is two unaware drivers hitting each other. If you were driving defensively, you would of expected them to move given they were indicating and you were in the their blind spot. Pretty simple.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 04:17 PM   #10
BingoTheClown
Lieutenant
Rep

Still clapping for you

Quote:
All I see here is two unaware drivers hitting each other. If you were driving defensively, you would of expected them to move given they were indicating and you were in the their blind spot. Pretty simple.
      03-23-2024, 06:26 PM   #11
dhock_holiday
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW Jetta

Do you have the built in BMW drive recorder? I have mine set to record the 20s before and after an accident. The benefit is that you get all 4 cameras, but the video quality is not the best.

It could be YouTube compression but its hard to make out that plate number. In a hit and run, having the clarity really helps. I'm strongly considering getting a dedicated dashcam as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2024, 07:03 PM   #12
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Sorry it happened OP.
She’s a dumbass who’s a lousy driver.

She relied on her side view mirror,
if she even looked at it, instead of
turning her head to make sure her blind
spot was clear.

With all that weed smell, she was likely DUI.
Did you not want to get the police to the scene,
given she was impaired?

Doesn’t matter that weed is legal, DUI is not.

That could have taught her a valuable lesson.
Appreciate 1
      03-23-2024, 07:31 PM   #13
Sushimaster
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i

Mind sharing what dashcam you use OP? Is it cumbersome? Like wire everywhere? I hate a clustered dashboard
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2024, 11:30 AM   #14
jg4c
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushimaster View Post
Mind sharing what dashcam you use OP? Is it cumbersome? Like wire everywhere? I hate a clustered dashboard
OP mentions it’s a Ring camera for cars.
I think you can see it in the video.
Looks pretty minimal.
Sticks up vertically from the top of the dash.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 07:02 AM   #15
Rawhide
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhock_holiday View Post
Do you have the built in BMW drive recorder? I have mine set to record the 20s before and after an accident. The benefit is that you get all 4 cameras, but the video quality is not the best.
Same here, but I always wonder how much of an impact it would take to trigger a save. Would the bump in OPs vid be enough to have it on video? I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 10:42 AM   #16
DenHaag3er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
You are wrong. You probably blame rape victims for the clothes they wear.
Appreciate 1
whofelt198.00
      03-25-2024, 11:02 AM   #17
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenHaag3er View Post
You are wrong. You probably blame rape victims for the clothes they wear.
Look it’s very simple - if your sat in someone’s blind spot and you see them start indicating, it’s sensible to lift off the gas a bit to give them potential space and see if they move out. If they do, no problem they slip in infront of you. If they don’t move then you can make a call, but don’t be surprised if they pull out anyway and be ready to react accordingly.

Or you can just choose to believe this was entirely unavoidable I suppose.
Appreciate 1
Sandpiper121.50
      03-30-2024, 01:28 AM   #18
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i sDrive

What are the odds of finding a fellow forum member living in this trashy town. LOL. Good old washington ave! It consistently has the some of the worst and most aggressive drivers you can find around here. Something about that road.

Glad your okay and nice to see a fellow member that lives in this crappy town
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 01:35 AM   #19
g20exaudinoob
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21' M340i sDrive

Quote:
Look it’s very simple - if your sat in someone’s blind spot and you see them start indicating, it’s sensible to lift off the gas a bit to give them potential space and see if they move out. If they do, no problem they slip in infront of you. If they don’t move then you can make a call, but don’t be surprised if they pull out anyway and be ready to react accordingly.

How do you reasonably expect to react to a "turn then flash"? It's almost impossible to see that signal in time to move. You must be trolling.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 03:46 AM   #20
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:

@0.05 the car on the right activated left blinker to merge, while OP's car was just passing the other car's rear bump.

I usually slow down/brake in similar situations. Do note OP just did a quick merge @0.02 to the left, the car behind OP in the left lane likely already slowed down, assuming OP hadn't cut off any driver already cruising down the left lane.

The prevailing speed felt to be around 40-ish miles, maybe OP can confirm.

My guess is that the driver on the right didn't expect OP's quick merge to the left(done in a second), and didn't check shoulder after turning on the left blinker.

At the same time, OP did speed up to merge and catch up to left lane traffic, OP's increased speed also cut down the margin that OP could have maneuvered with.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2024, 05:58 AM   #21
Portimao Blue M440ix
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: Bmw m440i g22 Bmw 335i e92

I don't know if this situation could have been avoided.

I am a trained defensive driver and at my work I would be at fault. My boss would say at the very least I didn't even use my horn to communicate that I am there beside her when the signal came on. Most times a blast of the horn keeps the signaling car in their lane and wakes them up. I also am on the look out for slight head turns and looks in the side mirror of approaching cars to indicate they may want to change lanes.

Again may not of been avoidable but the horn was needed.
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2024, 10:16 AM   #22
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Portimao Blue M440ix View Post
I don't know if this situation could have been avoided.

I am a trained defensive driver and at my work I would be at fault. My boss would say at the very least I didn't even use my horn to communicate that I am there beside her when the signal came on. Most times a blast of the horn keeps the signaling car in their lane and wakes them up. I also am on the look out for slight head turns and looks in the side mirror of approaching cars to indicate they may want to change lanes.

Again may not of been avoidable but the horn was needed.
Yes the horn would likely helped a lot provided OP was alert enough to notice the other car's left blinker, and the other driver didn't have headphones/earbuds on. It would have taken 2 alert drivers to avoid the collision.

My local commutes also have stop and go on the freeways, many including myself just stay in the slow/stopped lanes as a left merge is accident-prone just like in OP's scenario. It is just a time sink to deal with insurance and repair regardless of faults.
Appreciate 1