Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions 07/2023.53 Software update

10-17-2023, 05:45 PM   #23
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLJ View Post
Is there a way to get a route preview when navigating on iD8?
Like a sidebar or something about distances and turns.
Nope. BMW navigation is lost in 1998, it is incredibly bad. The things we take for granted on Google Maps since 2009 would be considered major innovations for BMW’s OEM product.
Appreciate 1
NLJ217.00
      10-18-2023, 11:17 AM   #24
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Oh not again

Since the update to 07/2023 I have lost Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) - so the Sat Nav timings are total guesswork, as there is no indication of traffic conditions.

Same thing happened after the last update, but a couple of iDrive forced reboots appeared to get it going again - no such luck this time.

Might have to contact the Dealer with a WTF question

Stuck in traffic - fuming - Mike.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 12:15 PM   #25
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike330i View Post
Oh not again

Since the update to 07/2023 I have lost Real Time Traffic Information (RTTI) - so the Sat Nav timings are total guesswork, as there is no indication of traffic conditions.

Same thing happened after the last update, but a couple of iDrive forced reboots appeared to get it going again - no such luck this time.

Might have to contact the Dealer with a WTF question

Stuck in traffic - fuming - Mike.
Just use Google Maps in Apple CarPlay or Android Auto.

No one uses BMW navigation.

Because it sucks.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 01:06 PM   #26
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post

Because it sucks.
I use BMW Nav mostly because it shows up in HUD. Waze is my preferred nav but I don’t use it because it is not yet supported in HUD for CarPlay. I just keep Waze running in the background to get all notifications but use iDrive Nav for navigations - and it’s not terrible IMHO. Much better than Apple Maps for sure. Technically I think they use HERE maps in the blackend.
Appreciate 1
      10-18-2023, 01:28 PM   #27
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I use BMW Nav mostly because it shows up in HUD. Waze is my preferred nav but I don’t use it because it is not yet supported in HUD for CarPlay. I just run Waze in the background now to get all notifications but use iDrive Nav for navigations - and it’s not terrible IMHO. Much better than Apple Maps for sure. Technically I think they use HERE maps in the blackend.
I don't even use the HUD at all, turned it off. With the gigantic iDrive 8 displays and digital gauges I have no issue seeing the speedometer and the next turn, it's enormous.

As for navigation integrity, Google is what I use, and I especially appreciate those little speech bubbles saying "2 minutes slower" or "similar ETA" whenever I get close to an intersection of two major highways. At 80mph I like having the choice right on the screen with no tapping or scrolling necessary.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2023, 07:35 PM   #28
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't even use the HUD at all, turned it off. With the gigantic iDrive 8 displays and digital gauges I have no issue seeing the speedometer and the next turn, it's enormous.

As for navigation integrity, Google is what I use, and I especially appreciate those little speech bubbles saying "2 minutes slower" or "similar ETA" whenever I get close to an intersection of two major highways. At 80mph I like having the choice right on the screen with no tapping or scrolling necessary.
I have no experience with ID8; I’m on ID7. I like to keep my eyes on the road at all times which is why I prefer HUD. So having ID8 won’t make a difference for me in that regard.

iDrive Nav also notifies when there’s a better route available and from there I can select if I want to switch to the faster route. Waze fills the remaining gaps in the background for me with the notifications I need - “10 minutes in traffic,” “police ahead,” “red light camera ahead,” etc., All that’s required is for Waze to be running - no need for active route. Waze automatically starts running in the background as soon as my CarPlay connects.

Either way not saying one solution is better than the other just personal preference.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 12:38 AM   #29
Tim 4723
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Quote:
I use BMW Nav mostly because it shows up in HUD. Waze is my preferred nav but I don’t use it because it is not yet supported in HUD for CarPlay. I just keep Waze running in the background to get all notifications but use iDrive Nav for navigations - and it’s not terrible IMHO. Much better than Apple Maps for sure. Technically I think they use HERE maps in the blackend.
It's interesting that Apple Maps is so bad in the US that you'd use two other nav options simultaneously instead considering it's an American company.

I'm in a completely different country and in the last few years we've gone from generally using my wife's phone with Google Maps to now mainly using my phone and Apple Maps because it seems to be just as good. They both still fail us from time to time but way less than the inbuilt nav.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 09:18 AM   #30
Mike330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M Sport LCI

Quote:

Because it sucks.
Driving home from work - still no RTTI - route shown in Blue, instead of Green; Yellow; Red.

Stopped for fuel after 10 minutes driving.

Restarted car to finish the journey - RTTI comes on immediately - places I know will have queues forming - shown in Yellow & Red.

The little bastard inside the dash must have heard all the horrid things you were saying about it

Oh well, saves a trip to BMW

Regards, Mike.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1333.00
      10-19-2023, 10:49 AM   #31
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 4723 View Post
It's interesting that Apple Maps is so bad in the US that you'd use two other nav options simultaneously instead considering it's an American company.

I'm in a completely different country and in the last few years we've gone from generally using my wife's phone with Google Maps to now mainly using my phone and Apple Maps because it seems to be just as good. They both still fail us from time to time but way less than the inbuilt nav.
Apple Maps is not that great here in the U.S. I would use it since it shows up on HUD but it just doesn’t compare. Moreover I have a bit of a heavy foot so it behooves me to get “police ahead” alerts while on the go: meaning Waze is my best friend on the road

I have compared iDrive Nav and Waze on several routes/trips; switching back and forth between both and ETA between them is almost always similar - sometimes, Waze will report a better ETA by a few minutes. Generally speaking, Waze will always be better because it is community-based providing realtime traffic info for optimal routing.

I don’t know much about Google maps since I never use it — haven’t had the need to. But Waze is now owned by Google so probably they share similar algorithms for analyzing traffic — but that seems unlikely.

OP: sorry for hijacking your thread.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 02:27 PM   #32
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I have no experience with ID8; I’m on ID7. I like to keep my eyes on the road at all times which is why I prefer HUD. So having ID8 won’t make a difference for me in that regard.

iDrive Nav also notifies when there’s a better route available and from there I can select if I want to switch to the faster route. Waze fills the remaining gaps in the background for me with the notifications I need - “10 minutes in traffic,” “police ahead,” “red light camera ahead,” etc., All that’s required is for Waze to be running - no need for active route. Waze automatically starts running in the background as soon as my CarPlay connects.

Either way not saying one solution is better than the other just personal preference.

So here's what Google Maps looks like in CarPlay and it's got some advantages over BMW Maps (and Waze and Apple Maps in some instances) in the following ways:

1. Arrow Display: They are always on and in the same position at all times.

2. Lane Guidance: Directly under the turn arrows the display tells you exactly which lane you must be in to make the next turn.

3. Live Alternate Routing: This is the big one, as you drive and as you cross over major roadways, a small speech bubble appears telling you at a glance what the win/penalty will be to go a different route. You see the popup, you see the grey line, and make a choice without having to swipe screens or hit any buttons.

4. Same Data and Routing as Waze: Google owns Waze and both maps use identical realtime data and routing logic. Waze has the speed trap feature (which I too run in the background) but only Google has the live routing with the speech bubbles.

5. Always-Dark Mode: A big win for those of us who like the black background at all times and don't want bright white maps during daytime. BMW Maps and Apple Maps don't offer this.

Last edited by toddwalton; 10-19-2023 at 02:33 PM..
Appreciate 1
zlatko134.00
      10-19-2023, 08:21 PM   #33
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim 4723 View Post

It’s not bad in the US. I use it 75% of the time in all my work trips and it’s been great. And in areas like Dallas where they have the newer, high-res maps, there’s almost no reason for me to pull out Google Maps anymore.
Appreciate 1
      10-19-2023, 08:24 PM   #34
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2. Lane Guidance: Directly under the turn arrows the display tells you exactly which lane you must be in to make the next turn.
Apple Maps and BMW Maps in iDrive 6/7/8 in all our BMWs have lane guidance too.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2023, 08:40 PM   #35
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

So here's what Google Maps looks like in CarPlay and it's got some advantages over BMW Maps (and Waze and Apple Maps in some instances) in the following ways:

1. Arrow Display: They are always on and in the same position at all times.

3. Live Alternate Routing: This is the big one, as you drive and as you cross over major roadways, a small speech bubble appears telling you at a glance what the win/penalty will be to go a different route. You see the popup, you see the grey line, and make a choice without having to swipe screens or hit any buttons.

4. Same Data and Routing as Waze: Google owns Waze and both maps use identical realtime data and routing logic. Waze has the speed trap feature (which I too run in the background) but only Google has the live routing with the speech bubbles.

5. Always-Dark Mode: A big win for those of us who like the black background at all times and don't want bright white maps during daytime. BMW Maps and Apple Maps don't offer this.
iDrive Nav has these too in one form or the other. But like I said, for me it’s about HUD and not having to take my eyes off the road. I don’t like looking down at the screen while driving.
Appreciate 2
      10-20-2023, 12:04 PM   #36
JITH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M440i

I have just done the update, here in Mexico, for ID7.

Immediately the system showed Oil Check and Engine Service.... though it is programmed until 2024. Everything went to ok after two minutes. So I guess it was a matter of the updating as the computer got the info correctly.

Also Spotify took a while to start functioning again.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 04:53 AM   #37
nm2003
2023 M340i LCI xDrive (on order)
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by prjkthack View Post
https://www.bmw.com.mt/en/topics/off...ade-23-07.html

Here are the release notes, but dunno how much of it applies to the 3 series. Would love to see the entry/exit seat adjustment, as I miss that from my X5, but certainly not a deal breaker.
How does the entry/exit seat adjustment work? Is it now in the settings? Anyone able to share screenshots?

2023 (Australian Spec) G20 LCI M340 xDrive - Portimao Blue - Executive Pack, M Technology Pack, Carbon Fibre Trim
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2023, 05:09 AM   #38
zlatko
Second Lieutenant
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: G21 LCI 330d Xdrive

Updated remotely today, pretty smooth an quick, the whole procedure took approx. 30 minutes. Except from the route color in iDrive NAV I haven't noticed any changes, the changelog does not mention anything significant as well.
nm2003 - this feature is not for G20/G21 3-series. Somewhere a detailed document was circulating, specifying the models that can use it.
PS. Found and attached the document I mentioned.

Last edited by zlatko; 10-22-2023 at 05:33 AM..
Appreciate 1
nm200332.00
      10-22-2023, 10:58 AM   #39
Mjlbakker
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 G21 318i (in order) - 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerM340IX View Post
Can anyone post a few pictures of the changes in the navi screen? And are there any other changes in both screens?
Thanks.
Here’s a picture of mine (ID8). The blue lines are new and an improvement - were grey before. Other noticeable change is the font indeed.

I prefer the BMW navigation over any other 3rd party system.
Attached Images

10-23-2023, 06:54 AM   #40
WernerM340IX
Rep
Drives: G21 M340IX 2023 LCI

Thanks everyone for the info. Is it also blue on the large navi screen?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 09:40 AM   #41
jpeckinp
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2024 M440i Convertible

How does BMW do their OTA updates? Is it via WIFI or Cell?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 12:13 PM   #42
RCtennis3811
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeckinp View Post
In the US, it’s now over your paired phone. The My BMW app will download a software update when available; you can select in the settings of the app if you want it to download automatically and if you’re ok with it using your cellular data. Once the update downloads to your phone, it will eventually transfer to your BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:32 PM   #43
NLJ
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeckinp View Post
On my LCI, all 3 have been via its built in 5G connection. Sometimes my phone also starts downloading while the car is doing the same. So I don’t interfere with the car just in case it gets stuck and stop my phone from downloading.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2023, 05:41 PM   #44
Calvindubois
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW 330e LCI M - Sport

Garage List
Anyone not get this update yet on their LCI?
Appreciate 0