Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin Treatment of a leased vehicle

Closed Thread

08-20-2019, 06:19 PM   #1
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Treatment of a leased vehicle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Why wouldn't you do this while knowing it's better to do so?
Probably a lease... lol the mentality of "It won't be my problem come 3 years" but than some poor soul buys it used and has issues lol
Appreciate 1
      08-21-2019, 02:58 AM   #2
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weiner0123 View Post
Probably a lease... lol the mentality of "It won't be my problem come 3 years" but than some poor soul buys it used and has issues lol
That's part of the reason I'll make sure to brake it in properly. Even if I don't own the car by then anymore the person next to me doesn't have to suffer from my potential stupid actions.

With the distances I'm driving it would require me holding back for a month or so. Easy doable and if by doing so I prolongue the proper working of my car I don't see any reason at all not doing it.
      08-21-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:
Why should i care what happens to this car i rented for 3 years after i am done with it? I am paying to use it.
2nd owner knows the car being bought was used as a rental, it is reflected in the purchase price and thus should have expectations in line with circumstances.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 01:16 PM   #4
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK2348 View Post
Why should i care what happens to this car i rented for 3 years after i am done with it? I am paying to use it.
2nd owner knows the car being bought was used as a rental, it is reflected in the purchase price and thus should have expectations in line with circumstances.
I have no clue if your being sarcastic... If your not well I don't agree with that mindset.. that's terrible that your knowingly treating the car like garbage and bagging on it with the mindset that it won't be yours in 3 years... Sure leave it for the guy that buys it used and has to deal with all the problems that you caused from bad driving habits.. it's totally selfish and uncalled for... never seen anyone admit it before
Appreciate 3
      08-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #5
MmmmmM2
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2016 Mazda CX-5  [0.00]
2021 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I have no clue if your being sarcastic... If your not well I don't agree with that mindset.. that's terrible that your knowingly treating the car like garbage and bagging on it with the mindset that it won't be yours in 3 years... Sure leave it for the guy that buys it used and has to deal with all the problems that you caused from bad driving habits.. it's totally selfish and uncalled for... never seen anyone admit it before
Well, hang on now...He does have a point. He leased the car and it is his to do what he wants with it. If he wants to beat the shit out of it, that's his prerogative. It's up to BMW, once they get the car back, to decide whether to charge him for anything wrong with it, mark it CPO and try to sell it, or send it to auction. BMW knows full well what they are doing when they lease a car to someone.

Me, however, I baby the shit out of my car and it IS a lease because I may want to purchase it at lease end.

My 2017 IS350 I did not treat very well because I did not enjoy the car. However, mechanically it was tip-top when I got rid of it. It just had a bunch of small cosmetic damage (dents, scratches, cracked windshield).
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2019, 02:17 AM   #6
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep
Drives: 08BMW335xia22

Quote:
I used to want/buy used bmws (granted being m3s or 335) because I knew the ppl buying them had the respect albeit a lease or own to care for them regardless. In return the cars kept their value because of it. My friend took care of his m3 so well that the dealership paid him a nice amount when the lease was up. Though I know it's not uncommon for that to happen now,back then it ingrained in me the thought that bmws are not just a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the person who bought it. There was a respect in our circle behind him and his M3. "Yeah I took care of my car" was always followed by " yes but did you take care it the same way Dave took care of his ?" There would always be a pause because the next response deserved the respect of the correct answer. Why would you not take care of something making it a burden to the next . That would only be an embarrassment to the previous owner and that rep would follow him. I guess I took it for granted that if you could afford a bmw (or any luxury car for that matter) you would/could afford the upkeep. It's unfortunate that this mentality and pure selfishness has seeped into the ranks of owners , who I once thought to be highly respectful to the next. I do agree that he has every given right to do as he pleases with the three years even if I do find it a shame. I wanted my next car to be an M but was waiting for some of the technology (creature comforts to catch up). Then the M340 came along and I thought it was best of both worlds yes I know I sacrificed some track performance for technology but hey M family with 4 doors drive assist park assist etc wrapped up in a respectable 0-60 and ok handling. Awesome jack of all trades but a master of none (story of my life as well lol) What I have experienced is a laughable hating from the M family about how it's not , along with hilarious ramblings 3ers saying they're over priced wannabes and they'll wait for the M3 which they'll never get. Im perfectly happy with my purchase I really don't care what ppl think nor do I need anyone to validate my decision. It's my money lol This experience along with this openness of "a disregard for anyone but himself" has Ingrained in me something new ,

Everyone has talked about the watering down of brands (M,AMG,R) all being shadows of their former selves Though I believe that to be up in the air I have come to realize only one thing .... the same can now be said of its owners
Appreciate 4
      08-22-2019, 03:46 AM   #7
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
Karma? Other people? Not being selfish?
My previous car was a lease, treated it like it was my own. The next owner received a car looked after like a baby.

Just ventilating my opinion....
      08-22-2019, 03:46 AM   #8
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWm340ixC1X View Post
I used to want/buy used bmws (granted being m3s or 335) because I knew the ppl buying them had the respect albeit a lease or own to care for them regardless. In return the cars kept their value because of it. My friend took care of his m3 so well that the dealership paid him a nice amount when the lease was up. Though I know it's not uncommon for that to happen now,back then it ingrained in me the thought that bmws are not just a reflection of the brand but a reflection of the person who bought it. There was a respect in our circle behind him and his M3. "Yeah I took care of my car" was always followed by " yes but did you take care it the same way Dave took care of his ?" There would always be a pause because the next response deserved the respect of the correct answer. Why would you not take care of something making it a burden to the next . That would only be an embarrassment to the previous owner and that rep would follow him. I guess I took it for granted that if you could afford a bmw (or any luxury car for that matter) you would/could afford the upkeep. It's unfortunate that this mentality and pure selfishness has seeped into the ranks of owners , who I once thought to be highly respectful to the next. I do agree that he has every given right to do as he pleases with the three years even if I do find it a shame. I wanted my next car to be an M but was waiting for some of the technology (creature comforts to catch up). Then the M340 came along and I thought it was best of both worlds yes I know I sacrificed some track performance for technology but hey M family with 4 doors drive assist park assist etc wrapped up in a respectable 0-60 and ok handling. Awesome jack of all trades but a master of none (story of my life as well lol) What I have experienced is a laughable hating from the M family about how it's not , along with hilarious ramblings 3ers saying they're over priced wannabes and they'll wait for the M3 which they'll never get. Im perfectly happy with my purchase I really don't care what ppl think nor do I need anyone to validate my decision. It's my money lol This experience along with this openness of "a disregard for anyone but himself" has Ingrained in me something new ,

Everyone has talked about the watering down of brands (M,AMG,R) all being shadows of their former selves Though I believe that to be up in the air I have come to realize only one thing .... the same can now be said of its owners
Wow that was amazing to read. Thanks for sharing your input on that,
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:07 PM   #9
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Was being 100% serious, no sarcasm.
This is not my car. It belongs to BMW. Do you honestly expect me to care for it as if it was mine? No, i will do whatever is required under the lease agreement and nothing more. That is one of the reasons for leasing, and people buying off lease cars should have an expectation that this is exactly what they're getting.
Unless the car was owned by a kind and generous person like yourself, who likes to help out BMW by taking care of their cars
I on the other hand owe absolutely nothing to BMW or to the person who decided to buy a used car from BMW
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #10
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle Creek View Post
Karma? Other people? Not being selfish?
My previous car was a lease, treated it like it was my own. The next owner received a car looked after like a baby.

Just ventilating my opinion....
Why would Karma have an issue with me? Not doing anything to screw someone else on purpose.
There is nothing selfish about paying to rent a car and then using it like a rental car.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #11
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I call BS on the bold part
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 01:45 PM   #12
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep
Drives: 08BMW335xia22

Quote:
I call BS on the bold part
I have no reason to lie but I'm not going out his name out here either, it's your choice to believe it or not (though I'm not saying it was like 20k or anything like that I honestly don't remember how much he got back but anything back from BMW would be )... wasn't quite the point I was trying to make but hey I'm definitely not expecting everyone to get it anyways
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2019, 06:22 PM   #13
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have no reason to lie but I'm not going out his name out here either, it's your choice to believe it or not (though I'm not saying it was like 20k or anything like that I honestly don't remember how much he got back but anything back from BMW would be )... wasn't quite the point I was trying to make but hey I'm definitely not expecting everyone to get it anyways
Why would a dealership pay anything to a lessee returning a car that doesn’t even belong to the dealer? If you’re not making it up then your friend is. The only time I get money back is if I return the car with considerably less miles than contracted for. And even then it’s a credit to the account, not cash back
These cars are mass produced with planned obsolescence built in. There is nothing special about them to obsess over
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread