Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions If you’ve test driven or taken delivery of an M340i, share your impressions

06-11-2019, 01:58 PM   #221
BigSky702
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by DK__LA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
:
I think you had a typo you meant the C43 is the worst car hands down ... correct
Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
:
I think you had a typo you meant the C43 is the worst car hands down ... correct
Not at all :

From exterior , to interior quality ( LCI only btw) , to the overall performance. I just feel like it's a step forward and has some pop to it that the M340 just doesn't.

BigSky, I'm honestly surprised with what you're saying because you came from the same car as I'm driving now , we're ///M family :

And yet you're enjoying the M340
As a daily driver for toting bodies around, yeah...

BUT in 3 years that changes and more than likely I will be in a G80 or G82!!! Euro delivery of course!!

Previous: 2016 M4 Sakhir Orange

Not too distant future: ///M3 or ///M5 (ED)
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 11:30 AM   #222
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i TB II

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
"Feels like a Lexus " ???? Thats kind of harsh!

I'll put it this way, I avoid having to drive my wife's GS350!!

Lol. I test drove an S4 and was NOT impressed.. well the interior and B&O sound system, but exterior styling and driving dynamics "meh"!

To each his own, I guess...

Also, I'm no longer pining over the F82, awesome performer but not for my DD needs. But, I will revisit when the G80 arrives, perhaps as a second vehicle.

I can't help but look at a A/S4 and see a Passat. The 3 looks sexier IMO
Appreciate 2
BigSky702687.00
Pauleebe379.50
      06-13-2019, 12:17 PM   #223
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaMobile View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSky702 View Post
"Feels like a Lexus " ???? Thats kind of harsh!

I'll put it this way, I avoid having to drive my wife's GS350!!

Lol. I test drove an S4 and was NOT impressed.. well the interior and B&O sound system, but exterior styling and driving dynamics "meh"!

To each his own, I guess...

Also, I'm no longer pining over the F82, awesome performer but not for my DD needs. But, I will revisit when the G80 arrives, perhaps as a second vehicle.

I can't help but look at a A/S4 and see a Passat. The 3 looks sexier IMO
I agree!!

I tried looking at the S4 from different angles, and it did nothing for me.

[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 02:35 PM   #224
volsfan0911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 VW GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammy340i View Post
...The only other contender I am looking at is the AMG C43 with the exhaust package...
Drove one. Loved the power, sound and interior. Ride quality? LMAO, had to go see chiropractor afterwards to get spine realigned. No thanks.
Appreciate 1
      06-13-2019, 04:35 PM   #225
nik14
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E39 E46(2) E90 F30 G01 G20

Question M340i and 330i MSport

First, I care mainly about handling and steering feel, less about acceleration (provided the car has a good baseline acceleration) and not at all about the sound of the engine.

These cars have the same suspension and they both have variable speed steering. The 340i has M Sport Differential. Does that help with the handling in a significantly discernible way? And how much does the extra weight of the 340i make it less nimble than the 330i? I only took the 340i for 1 test drive just after the 330i, and it felt heavier but you can't tell enough from 1 test drive.

Secondly, one thing I don't like on the 330i is the turbo lag and that hesitation can be significant at times. Is this any less pronounced on the 340i?

Any other thoughts on the comparison between these two?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 09:34 AM   #226
Mr Friese
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Not at all :

From exterior , to interior quality ( LCI only btw) , to the overall performance. I just feel like it's a step forward and has some pop to it that the M340 just doesn't.

BigSky, I'm honestly surprised with what you're saying because you came from the same car as I'm driving now , we're ///M family :

Yeah I test drove one last week when I had my M3cs in for it's break-in service and while I really enjoyed the drive, it is not even in the same stratosphere as any M car.

Very nice for what it is though, no doubt about it.
Appreciate 1
GGG333603.50
      06-20-2019, 11:35 AM   #227
Pauleebe
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Inbetween BMW's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik14 View Post
Question M340i and 330i MSport

First, I care mainly about handling and steering feel, less about acceleration (provided the car has a good baseline acceleration) and not at all about the sound of the engine.

These cars have the same suspension and they both have variable speed steering. The 340i has M Sport Differential. Does that help with the handling in a significantly discernible way? And how much does the extra weight of the 340i make it less nimble than the 330i? I only took the 340i for 1 test drive just after the 330i, and it felt heavier but you can't tell enough from 1 test drive.

Secondly, one thing I don't like on the 330i is the turbo lag and that hesitation can be significant at times. Is this any less pronounced on the 340i?

Any other thoughts on the comparison between these two?
Suspension geometry is not the same on both vehicles.

I think you'll answer many of your own questions by test driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #228
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Test drove a M340 xDrive and a 540 xDrive back to back with a full intention of buying another 5 series. I had high expectations for both which none of them were met. Unlike when I drove my buddy's M2 Comp, I was BLOWN AWAY. That is a car to get if anyone is in the market for that kind of a thing. I also remember being very impressed when I 1st drove my E92 335 as I bought that car sight unseen (one of the very early production cars)

Wife thought 540 was way too similar to our current one, hated the nav screen & interior lay out but she loved the M340 to my surprise. Honestly it is kind of hard to shy away from the beautiful interior of a 5er and go to 3 series.

M340 is nice and zippy. I do not care for the cluster at all but hey, they need to compete with Audi. Car handles very nice and feels much better than F30

Power delivery was nice and impressive and overall car felt nice.

I absolutely do not need a M car and I am not going to comment of what BMW is trying to do with all the M badges.

I am still trying to talk myself out of a beautiful 5 series and find reasons to order ugly looking boy toy . It will be nothing but a daily driver and an occasional road trip car. I am thinking ordering the exact color combo with options we want will help.......not to mention swapping the grill out to regular slats right away.
2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 06-20-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 12:03 PM   #229
Bmwman325
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 MG CR 335 XI 6SP

I drove an M340 over the weekend.

- It definitely felt faster than my f30 335 when it was stock, current mod setup feels significantly faster though.

- Steering feels a lot heavier than the f30 and I liked that.

- Suspension felt more refined and comfortable, I feel the suspension in the f30 is terrible, its loud and unpredictable.

I think the interior was ok, I didn't get much into the Idrive.

It's a nice car, but it doesn't scream to me "Take my money now" I'll hold onto my f30 for another year or 2.
      06-20-2019, 12:50 PM   #230
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
I took delivery 2 days ago. I love the car. It looks great and the power is impressive and good enough for my needs. I have to say I enjoy driving this car.

Already had to take back the BMW for a low battery alert. I don't know how that could be since it is a new car. As it was getting serviced one of the cameras was reading an error...LOL

Rocky start for it being my first BMW. But no major problems

Apple Car Play is spotty. Sometimes it connects other times it doesn't. Sometimes it will randomly disconnect. I hope they get this figured out soon.

HK sound system, rocks! If you like to play your tunes loud, get the HK system. I was thinking of adding a sub-woofer, I am no longer thinking of getting one.

POWER - This thing has some Cajones. If this car is any indicator of how the M3 is going to be... wow

The car is just sexy....
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
Transfer5250.00
dpod25102.00
Salacak13.00
      06-20-2019, 03:14 PM   #231
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
I took delivery 2 days ago. I love the car. It looks great and the power is impressive and good enough for my needs. I have to say I enjoy driving this car.

Already had to take back the BMW for a low battery alert. I don't know how that could be since it is a new car. As it was getting serviced one of the cameras was reading an error...LOL

Apple Car Play is spotty. Sometimes it connects other times it doesn't. Sometimes it will randomly disconnect. I hope they get this figured out soon.

HK sound system, rocks! If you like to play your tunes loud, get the HK system. I was thinking of adding a sub-woofer, I am no longer thinking of getting one.

POWER - This thing has some Cajones. If this car is any indicator of how the M3 is going to be... wow

The car is just sexy....
Oh man BMW still hasn't figured out Carplay connection issue? this is something I use everyday.
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2019, 11:21 PM   #232
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
Oh man BMW still hasn't figured out Carplay connection issue? this is something I use everyday.
I'm gonna wait 5-6 more months. There seem to be lots of bugs with the G20 right now.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 01:47 PM   #233
QuickLaunchBMW
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW

Beautiful and aggressive looking car. What color is that? Looks awesome. Would you change anything?

Thanks for sharing!

Quote:

The car is just sexy....
Appreciate 1
      06-21-2019, 02:52 PM   #234
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickLaunchBMW View Post
Beautiful and aggressive looking car. What color is that? Looks awesome. Would you change anything?

Thanks for sharing!
This is Tanzanite Blue II. The only thing I would change is that I didn't traffic jam assist.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:04 PM   #235
ASG99
Private
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Just picked my 340 up Wednesday. Really impressed with the car overall. Coming from a Q50 redsport it is day and night.

Only thing that I find odd is the 19" wheel package with AS tires is for lack of a better term under tired. Summer Performance pkg gives you 225 front and 255 rear. Not crazy but okay. The 19" AS tire set up is 225 all around. Pretty small imo for a car with this much power and handling capability.
Attached Images

Last edited by ASG99; 06-21-2019 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: Added content
Appreciate 2
      06-21-2019, 03:12 PM   #236
Cosmo_Kramer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Quote:
This is Tanzanite Blue II. The only thing I would change is that I didn't traffic jam assist.
You don't like traffic jam assist?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2019, 03:29 PM   #237
PandaMobile
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo_Kramer View Post
You don't like traffic jam assist?
Apologies, I regret not getting it as an option.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 08:59 AM   #238
BigSky702
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Friese View Post
Quote:
Not at all :

Yeah I test drove one last week when I had my M3cs in for it's break-in service and while I really enjoyed the drive, it is not even in the same stratosphere as any M car.

Very nice for what it is though, no doubt about it.
Hey guess what... for the millionth time, it's an M340i with a different purpose/focus than an M car.

Wonder how many times this will need to be repeated...

Btw, on a side note, I'm hanging out in Orlando with a Camaro SS rental, and this car handles very well (track mode) and sounds a lot better than M4.. just can't get over the C pillars and blind spots, and interior is meh..

Ok, back on topic, why do we keep directly comparing to different platforms??

An M340 better suits my needs atm, so for me it's superior. In 3 years I'll reevaluate my station in life and perhaps a full M will fit.

Appreciate 4
      06-22-2019, 07:31 PM   #239
Joro2819
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 750LI

I drove a M340 today xdrive and I will ultimately get the rear wheel drive.
I truly enjoyed my drive and almost forgot to put it back in comfort mode because I enjoyed the sound of the exhaust so much. I actually considered not checking the box for the Assited Driving Professional but after actually using it, I have to get this option.
I drove the car to my house and parked it beside my 7 series because this is the car I will replace. I miss my first BMW which was a E39 5 series and have owned 5 previous 7's and am tired of driving larger vehicles and am looking for a sportier feel.
Loved the car:
•Firm ride but compliant, not harsh
• Loved the exhaust
• Ample interior room, especially coming from a 7
• Comfort was great, especially for daily driving
• The plastic in car did not bother me, did not feel like it was.
cheap based on other posters.
• Xdrive was great but would not get it.
• The front is not as bad as others make it out to be but I prefer the black one and am waiting for the Shawdow Line package to come to US before I make my purchase. The manager said it will be here soon but not sure if time it will be on configurator.
This car did not have adaptive suspension so I am still on the fence to check the box for it.
Appreciate 2
      06-22-2019, 07:52 PM   #240
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshuastein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Why disappointing? My cars steers great on non RFT Michelin P4S.
Its disappointing because while you may like the steering on your F30, everyone has different opinions and values steering differently. To me, I value, heavy, crisp, and communicative steering similar to that of the E90 and many older hydraulic BMW steering racks, and the F30 and even the G20 I auto crossed, in my opinion don't have that signature BMW feature.

Its not just the steering though, my wife and I have tested F30's on various tires and various model years anywhere and even the new G20s fully loaded, and we liked many things about these cars, but dynamically, they didn't excite us or feel like our E90 and past BMWs, and the steering was still too light and devoid of feel even in its sportiest setting. Because of this we skipped the F30 in favor of hoping that the G20 (specifically M340i) will return to form. The G20 is an improvement from the F30, but I'm still not sure its the improvement I was hoping/looking for. For some I'm sure the car is great and exceeds their expectations, but everyone has different preferences.

We're no longer in the 90's and early 2000's where BMW was the only good vehicle in its class. Over the years many cars have made the gap smaller, with other vehicles improving their handling, and some even beating the 3 dynamically (Giulia, ATS), EPS was just one of the major killers of this generation of driver's cars.
You need to try the F30 with M performance suspension and with P4S tires. The front end feels stiff and steering is much much better. It is like M2C steering in comfort mode. I own both cars.
Attached Images

2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 1
MmmmmM22586.00
      06-22-2019, 08:33 PM   #241
golferboy2312
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:

The car is just sexy....
Great pic! My Tanzanite Blue M340i xDrive is on order, this pic makes me glad I picked that color!
Appreciate 1
      06-23-2019, 02:56 AM   #242
SixStringLuke
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Competition

I've had mine for almost a month now. More than 1k miles and I love it more than when I drove it off the showroom floor. A week ago, I blew away a Challenger R/T off the line at a light. We pulled over at a Starbucks down the street and he said he was blown away by how fast my car was off the line.

The apple play connection issues are a thing. I'm connecting right away most of the time but when it doesn't, I airplane mode it and it works after that.

My connected drive app isn't working right though. I'm able to send commands to the car but the location and range haven't been updated for a couple weeks now. Spoke to customer service and they advised me to drop by my dealership to get it sorted out. I'm getting the BMW Advance Car Eye camera system installed so I'll get all that worked on at the same time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Transfer5250.00
dpod25102.00