Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) vicfalc09 | BMW M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirror Cap Installation

08-25-2019, 06:21 PM   #23
evermire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Finished mine a couple weekends ago. Used an M-style pair off Amazon and was not happy with the quality. Actually saw some CF splitting on some of the edges. Swapped out for a pair from ebay which was much better build quality. Substantial use of CF and clear coat. I also liked the subtle difference of the M-style wing extension.

Random byproduct though, my passenger side mirror no longer tilts down when put in Reverse, it tilts inward and does not return. Not sure what could have caused this, the mirror controls work perfectly fine.

I'll report back if I fix it in case others encounter it.

Also, one piece of missing info from the original writeup (which was suuper helpful) was the removal of the center tilt control module. The silver screw in the center needs to be removed and then you can pull the unit straight out with a little wiggling and force. It pushes right back in. Be careful when reinserting the silver screw, as it threads into soft plastic and is easy to strip. If you take your time, everything comes apart easy and goes back together nicely.

{Photo upload not working}
Attached Images

Last edited by evermire; 08-27-2019 at 11:20 PM..
Appreciate 1
VipinLJ1936.50
      08-30-2019, 09:26 PM   #24
nola2atx
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by evermire View Post
Finished mine a couple weekends ago. Used an M-style pair off Amazon and was not happy with the quality. Actually saw some CF splitting on some of the edges. Swapped out for a pair from ebay which was much better build quality. Substantial use of CF and clear coat. I also liked the subtle difference of the M-style wing extension.

Random byproduct though, my passenger side mirror no longer tilts down when put in Reverse, it tilts inward and does not return. Not sure what could have caused this, the mirror controls work perfectly fine.

Also, one piece of missing info from the original writeup (which was suuper helpful) was the removal of the center tilt control module. The silver screw in the center needs to be removed and then you can pull the unit straight out with a little wiggling and force. It pushes right back in. Be careful when reinserting the silver screw, as it threads into soft plastic and is easy to strip. If you take your time, everything comes apart easy and goes back together nicely.

can you share the link to the Ebay listing?

My Exes:
E36, E46, F30
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2019, 07:08 PM   #25
evermire
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i

Garage List
2021 BMW G80 M3  [0.00]
2020 M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nola2atx View Post
can you share the link to the Ebay listing?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-17-2020...72.m2749.l2649
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #26
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

Quote:

I had the same issue when it came to the downward tilt of the passenger side mirror. I managed to fix it by gently pressing in the center of the mirror so it snaps back into the motor. Make sure that you do not put too much pressure.
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2019, 06:24 AM   #27
vcvrDGG20
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW G20 330i

Can anyone confirm whether the 5 series/M5 mirror caps fit on our cars? They look the same. M5 mirror cap looks pretty
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2019, 07:15 PM   #28
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Thanks! I got mine from that link after your suggestion and I just finished installing mine and its soo much nicer than the cerum grey ones which look disgusting the day after washing my car...

I was actually able to do the install in a different way that saved a bunch of steps and completely avoiding taking the glass out.

Props to this guy for showing this method:

Tried my best to take pictures but all I did was first tilt the mirrors all the way down and right (driver) left (passenger). Then I stuck a small slim flathead screwdriver in the gap between the black bezel and the glass and pushed the top tab up and the bottom one down while applying outward pressure with my left hand. Once the top gets release I stuck a pry tool at the bottom corner next to the camera and pried it out. Got the passenger side cap off without breaking any clips and I just broke one clip on driver side. Super easy and took me 10 minutes to do each side.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 3
      12-14-2019, 10:57 PM   #29
HyeM340i
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Took my body shop 3 hours to do both, and the left ones alignment is a little off and has a gap.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2020, 12:33 PM   #30
Preciseyyc
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: F15 35i G20 m340

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadri View Post
Just installed my Carbon Fiber mirror caps. I like this design with the extended wing!
Do you have more photos of this? I'm super super on the fence about this style. I liked it on my f32. But not 100% sold on the G20 yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2020, 05:35 PM   #31
ssadri
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW 540xi M-Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preciseyyc View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssadri View Post
Just installed my Carbon Fiber mirror caps. I like this design with the extended wing!
Do you have more photos of this? I'm super super on the fence about this style. I liked it on my f32. But not 100% sold on the G20 yet.
I'll take a few more pictures and posted shortly
2009 BMW X6 50i Dinan (Sold) Alpine White
2003 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Laguna Seca Blue | 1995 BMW ///M3 (Sold) Santorini Blue II
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 01:07 PM   #32
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i M Sport, Audi A3 2.0 TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyeM340i View Post
Took my body shop 3 hours to do both, and the left ones alignment is a little off and has a gap.
Previous posts on here look like they suggest a 20-30mns job.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 11:40 PM   #33
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Quote:
Thanks! I got mine from that link after your suggestion and I just finished installing mine and its soo much nicer than the cerum grey ones which look disgusting the day after washing my car...

I was actually able to do the install in a different way that saved a bunch of steps and completely avoiding taking the glass out.

Tried my best to take pictures but all I did was first tilt the mirrors all the way down and right (driver) left (passenger). Then I stuck a small slim flathead screwdriver in the gap between the black bezel and the glass and pushed the top tab up and the bottom one down while applying outward pressure with my left hand. Once the top gets release I stuck a pry tool at the bottom corner next to the camera and pried it out. Got the passenger side cap off without breaking any clips and I just broke one clip on driver side. Super easy and took me 10 minutes to do each side.

Just did my mirrors the exact same way took me a second to realize you need to release the top clips on both sides, but once that's done it takes maybe 10 minutes a side tops. Way easier to do it this way and not risk that mirror. Plus the suggested mirrors fit great
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2020, 09:54 AM   #34
PortimaoMystique
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by possible335i2008 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just did my mirrors the exact same way took me a second to realize you need to release the top clips on both sides, but once that's done it takes maybe 10 minutes a side tops. Way easier to do it this way and not risk that mirror. Plus the suggested mirrors fit great
Can you please elaborate on using the pry tool on the bottom part to get it off? So after the top clips x 2 are disengaged, what exactly do we do to the bottom? Also no screws or wires to remove with this shortened technique? Thanks a bunch!
      05-07-2020, 10:12 AM   #35
possible335i2008
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortimaoMystique View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Can you please elaborate on using the pry tool on the bottom part to get it off? So after the top clips x 2 are disengaged, what exactly do we do to the bottom? Also no screws or wires to remove with this shortened technique? Thanks a bunch!
There are clips on the bottom you just apply outward pressure and the clips will begin to disengage, just take you time and push outward and down a little you will need to wiggle them out a little.
Appreciate 1
      05-07-2020, 10:15 AM   #36
PortimaoMystique
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

There are clips on the bottom you just apply outward pressure and the clips will begin to disengage, just take you time and push outward and down a little you will need to wiggle them out a little.
Thank you! I ended up grabbing the eBay m style ones from custom tuningseller. Hopefully it doesn't look gimicky.
Attached Images

05-07-2020, 10:39 PM   #37
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Thank you! I ended up grabbing the eBay m style ones from custom tuningseller. Hopefully it doesn't look gimicky.
Yeah the front 2 tabs (the side with the glass) is very easy to push out with a flathead screwdriver. The tabs on the bottom on the actual mirror cap side is the tricky bit. Took some force and wiggling with a pry tool to get it off without breaking the tabs.

And those are pretty similar to the ones I have. Different ebay seller but probably the same supplier. 5 months in and mine are doing pretty well.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 1
      05-10-2020, 07:26 PM   #38
PortimaoMystique
Private
United_States
Rep

Welp. Finally got around to placing the mirror caps. Unfortunately the fit on the driver side one is not too satisfactory even after I removed and replaced 5-6 times. Seems to be a quality control issue but it's expected given $150 eBay ones. The passenger side looks great tho and seems to be on there pretty solid! I've contacted the eBay dealer and can hopefully get a replacement
[IMG][/IMG]
Attached Images

05-14-2020, 10:44 PM   #39
Mega8489
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw 2023 G80 M3 6spd

Quote:
Welp. Finally got around to placing the mirror caps. Unfortunately the fit on the driver side one is not too satisfactory even after I removed and replaced 5-6 times. Seems to be a quality control issue but it's expected given $150 eBay ones. The passenger side looks great tho and seems to be on there pretty solid! I've contacted the eBay dealer and can hopefully get a replacement
[IMG][/IMG]

So you managed taking them off following this guide?
Thank you !
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2020, 01:48 PM   #40
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcvrDGG20 View Post
Can anyone confirm whether the 5 series/M5 mirror caps fit on our cars? They look the same. M5 mirror cap looks pretty
5er's will fit so I would think the M5's will also.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #41
OM3RTA
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Anyone know if any tabs are broken if the caps will still fit flush?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2022, 09:10 PM   #42
Dmolz524
Rep
Drives: 22’ M340

Does anyone sell the lower part of the mirror cover in carbon idk why I can’t find it anywhere
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2022, 10:16 PM   #43
jpowers36
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

I don't think they make one. You'd have to get a custom over lay made or send the mirror to someone to skin it in real CF, clearcoat it.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2023, 06:28 PM   #44
corbinwilliams
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 440i GC, 650i GC, i7 xDrive60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicfalc09 View Post
I installed the M Performance Carbon Fiber Mirrors today for my G20 M340i. This installation is not as straight forward as previous models as you will see below. There would be further mirror disassembly required if I did not break the clips. See below:

Step 1 - Pop the mirror off by tilting it all the way up from the electronic controls and use a plastic trim tool to pry off.

Step 2 - Locate the 4 screws shown here to remove black gloss shroud from mirror.

Step 3 - Remove an additional two screw that attach mirror cover to lighting strip.

Step 4 - Pull mirror cover away from vehicle the only tabs still holding it on are the 3 at the bottom of the mirror cover that I broke when pulling off.

Step 5 - Attach lighting strip to new Carbon Fiber mirror cover with screws. Re attach mirror cover to mirror assembly ensuring all clips engage. Re attach mirror connections and electronics.

BMW M PERFORMANCE CARBON FIBER MIRROR CAP

https://www.bmwpartspros.com/sfimage...mage242006.jpg
When you removed the mirror glass, do you pry from the bottom center? I see many people recommending to use a wide pry tool and carefully pry until there is a pop sound from the clips releasing. What method did you use for removal?
Appreciate 0