Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BIMMERPOST Universal Forums Cosmetic Care & Detailing (PPF/Wash/Wax/Detailing/Restoration/Repairs) Paint destroyed? What would you do?

11-27-2019, 04:11 PM   #23
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘20 330i,‘16 X3,‘18 SQ5,‘17 A7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmzorba09 View Post
A glaze?
A glaze enhances the shine and can also fill in the swirls. Problem is it washes off after a car wash or two. It isn’t permanent.

If they got it done professionally and reapplied the ceramic coating then that’s good. Their wording is very confusing.

If your ceramic coating was swirled, the only way is to polish the coating off (I might be using the technically wrong term here), correct the paint and then reapply the ceramic coating. “Boosters” won’t work unless there’s already a coating on the car. Polishing will get rid of the coating. So basically they’re applying the “booster” on the cars paint and not on the coating (which isn’t how it is supposed to be done.)
That is what I understood from their mail.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:33 PM   #24
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
A glaze?
A glaze enhances the shine and can also fill in the swirls. Problem is it washes off after a car wash or two. It isn't permanent.

If they got it done professionally and reapplied the ceramic coating then that's good. Their wording is very confusing.

If your ceramic coating was swirled, the only way is to polish the coating off (I might be using the technically wrong term here), correct the paint and then reapply the ceramic coating. "Boosters" won't work unless there's already a coating on the car. Polishing will get rid of the coating. So basically they're applying the "booster" on the cars paint and not on the coating (which isn't how it is supposed to be done.)
That is what I understood from their mail.
Thank you it is confusing. So do you think the booster corrected the marks permanently?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 05:49 PM   #25
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you it is confusing. So do you think the booster corrected the marks permanently?
The booster will not get rid of the swirls. Polishing them out is what gets rid of swirls. The booster (if they're referring to something like Carpro reload) is used to either top up the ceramic coating (because the "booster" contains SiO2) or as a stand alone sealant (which is probably how it will work on your car if they polished the ceramic coating off (in order to get rid of the swirls marks)). It will last but it wears off in a few months (usually around or less than 6 months). Swirls will not appear as long as your wash methods are perfect (which is very difficult but attainable).
What I'm trying to say is that they probably polished your ceramic coating off to get rid of the swirls and applied the booster in that area which basically makes it act like a sealant which is not permanent. It will not last anywhere as long as a ceramic coating does (I applied CQUK myself on my A4 and it lasted for 3 years without any issues).

Btw I'm not a professional detailer. I do detailing purely as a hobby on my cars and have done paint correction and applied ceramic coatings. My technical terms might not be correct. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I hope what I say makes some sort of sense. If I'm wrong, I'd love if anyone could correct me.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
Wmzorba09
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Bmw M340 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VipinLJ View Post
Quote:
The booster will not get rid of the swirls. Polishing them out is what gets rid of swirls. The booster (if they're referring to something like Carpro reload) is used to either top up the ceramic coating (because the "booster" contains SiO2) or as a stand alone sealant (which is probably how it will work on your car if they polished the ceramic coating off (in order to get rid of the swirls marks)). It will last but it wears off in a few months (usually around or less than 6 months). Swirls will not appear as long as your wash methods are perfect (which is very difficult but attainable).
What I'm trying to say is that they probably polished your ceramic coating off to get rid of the swirls and applied the booster in that area which basically makes it act like a sealant which is not permanent. It will not last anywhere as long as a ceramic coating does (I applied CQUK myself on my A4 and it lasted for 3 years without any issues).

Btw I'm not a professional detailer. I do detailing purely as a hobby on my cars and have done paint correction and applied ceramic coatings. My technical terms might not be correct. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in. I hope what I say makes some sort of sense. If I'm wrong, I'd love if anyone could correct me.
Thank you. What you say makes sense. It sounds as though the hand polish removed the swirl marks then they applied the booster. So in essence the swirl marks are gone but so is the ceramic coating (largely) and they used the booster in place of applying new layer of ceramic coating. It's a short cut.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2019, 06:51 PM   #27
VipinLJ
Petrolhead
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank you. What you say makes sense. It sounds as though the hand polish removed the swirl marks then they applied the booster. So in essence the swirl marks are gone but so is the ceramic coating (largely) and they used the booster in place of applying new layer of ceramic coating. It's a short cut.
Exactly. Only way you can find out is to see if water still beads after one year if you don’t top it up till then. I don’t know if there are other ways to find out if the ceramic coating is still present or not. Maybe ask the person who detailed your car for some insight?
Appreciate 0