Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Private number plate and changing cars

01-07-2020, 04:01 PM   #1
springer222
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d M SPORT LCI

Private number plate and changing cars

Hi,

In mid-march I am due to receive my new car. My current car will be going back to BMW FS but I have a private number plate on that car. I know I need to take it off before but I am not 100% sure how it works?

I apply online to take the number plate off my current car but do I have to wait for the new V5C form before I buy and install the new plate on my current car or do I have to do it straight away?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 04:42 PM   #2
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
You can take the private number plate off and you will be given a retention cert and you need to change the current car’s registration plates.
You can then either ask the dealer to do it for you for when they register the new car (they will need the retention cert or a copy if acceptable) or if that’s not possible you need to wait for the new car’s v5 but then you can do the changeover on-line....

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R

Last edited by Tam the Bam; 01-07-2020 at 04:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 08:41 AM   #3
MrT80
Rep
Drives: 335d / 330e

I think you need to do it in advance, and as said above maybe ask the dealer to register your new car on the private plate once you have the retention cert. I think you change the plates once you get the confirmation back from DVLA. The car will go back to it's original plate. Don't forget to inform the insurance, as they will need to update MID database.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2020, 12:09 PM   #4
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i XDrive

Garage List
I removed my plate a week before the cars delivery and emailed the retention document to the dealer so the new car could be collected with my plate.

You can do it online during working hours and it's very easy.

G42 /// M240i Thundernight
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
I removed my plate a week before the cars delivery and emailed the retention document to the dealer so the new car could be collected with my plate.

You can do it online during working hours and it's very easy.
Digging up an old thread...but just to confirm, if you do this via the Online tool you get access to an electronic copy of the retention cert?

I too am looking at a relatively short turnaround between taking my plate off the existing and needing to provide the cert to the dealer for registering the new one...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:09 AM   #6
ShereKhan
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e M Sport MY20

Garage List
2020 BMW 330e  [0.00]
I did mine in Oct last year, Lease company has to do the work as they have the V5 in my case (not sure with BMW FS). I filled out the form and sent it to them to process..Make sure you are the grantee not BMW FS otherwise they then own the plate...

My plate changed without any notification (Lease company too slow!). I was checking my insurance on askmid.com. I complained to lease company for their tardy procedure in telling me whats going on...If they are owned by a bank you can make a complaint (they pay up to close complaint as they are regulated by Ombudsman).
Long gone -15 Peugeot 308 2.0HDi GT AUTO Magnetic Blue, 10 BMW F10 520D SE Xirallic Imperial blue/Cinnamon Brown, 06 E90 320si - Le Mans Blue - Totally standard specification (Scrapped RIP 12/08/2010), 00 Peugeot 306 2.0 SE Cabriolet, 94 Rover 214 SEi, 91 Fiat Uno 60S Mk2
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2020, 09:28 AM   #7
robbiep
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: VW e-Golf !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexstar2011 View Post
Digging up an old thread...but just to confirm, if you do this via the Online tool you get access to an electronic copy of the retention cert?

I too am looking at a relatively short turnaround between taking my plate off the existing and needing to provide the cert to the dealer for registering the new one...

Thanks!
Yes, but I believe the service is only available during normal office hours, as the details are manually checked before the new certificate is issued. This was certainly the case 2-3 years ago
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 08:06 AM   #8
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yes, it's done instantly and all the paperwork you need emailed to you. If I remember right the service is open 7am to 7pm

Appreciate 1
      02-23-2020, 01:33 PM   #9
Nexstar2011
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i Dravit/Mocca

Perfect - thanks for the confirmation(s)!!
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 03:47 PM   #10
Chrisr22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

I am in the same position. I am getting my new car end of March and I have a private plate on my current car which the dealer will buy upon collection of my new car.
My current car has never had an age related plate, it was first registered with my private plate.

Do I need to take the private plate off in advance, fit the assigned age related plate before collection day? Or could this all be done in collection day (removing private plate, selling the car to the dealer, registering the new car with my private plate)
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 04:47 PM   #11
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisr22 View Post
I am in the same position. I am getting my new car end of March and I have a private plate on my current car which the dealer will buy upon collection of my new car.
My current car has never had an age related plate, it was first registered with my private plate.

Do I need to take the private plate off in advance, fit the assigned age related plate before collection day? Or could this all be done in collection day (removing private plate, selling the car to the dealer, registering the new car with my private plate)

I did mine ahead of time i.e. I put my private reg on retention and out the DVLC advised reg on the car. My dealer asked for my retention cert for my private reg in order to register the car prior to my collection.

I would doubt it could be done on the same day.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:16 PM   #12
Alanli722
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i

I'm collecting my car tomorrow, my dealer just got me to take a photo of my current V5C 2 weeks ago so it'll have my plate already on it for collection.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2020, 05:45 PM   #13
Chrisr22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tam the Bam View Post
I did mine ahead of time i.e. I put my private reg on retention and out the DVLC advised reg on the car. My dealer asked for my retention cert for my private reg in order to register the car prior to my collection.

I would doubt it could be done on the same day.
So when you put your private plate on retention, you had to get new plates printed and fitted with the newly assigned reg?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:01 AM   #14
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

You'll need to do it a week or so in advance, my last car was also registered on my plate from new so I had to buy a set of plates for it, you'll be assigned a number once your plate is on retention

Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 02:08 AM   #15
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
So when you put your private plate on retention, you had to get new plates printed and fitted with the newly assigned reg?
Yes.....

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2020, 07:37 AM   #16
Chrisr22
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aguycalleddb View Post
You'll need to do it a week or so in advance, my last car was also registered on my plate from new so I had to buy a set of plates for it, you'll be assigned a number once your plate is on retention
Thanks.
I understand it takes a good couple of weeks for the new V5C to come through with the newly assigned plate. Is there a document you get in the meantime which allows you to get new plates printed?

It's a real faff for me with changing plates as I also need to get my resident's parking permit changed too...
      02-25-2020, 07:40 AM   #17
aguycalleddb
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, you get a form to take and get new plates, you download it from the site once the retentions is done. I got my V5 in 3 days and my new cars v5 inside of a week.

The DVLA are a lot quicker now everything is on line

Appreciate 1