BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics G80 M3 /G82 M4 versus...

Closed Thread

05-26-2019, 02:36 PM   #1
Jbmw98
Private
Rep
Drives: none

I’m considering a Mercedes AMG if I don’t like the G80 M3

I have recently been looking at getting an M3 Comp/CS or an M5 Comp. I've even waited to see what the M8 GC will look like. But, at the end of the day I always come back to the M3. For me, it’s the crown jewel of BMW and the M division.

I have been reading the discussions about the design of the G80 M3. I hate saying this, because I've always been a diehard BMW fan, but times change, and I don’t think BMW is listening to customers. I feel I'm not alone in this camp.

This has caused me to start looking at Mercedes - either the C63S or E63S. It seems Mercedes actually listens to its customers in terms of design and popular demand.

How many of you are planning on jumping ship if the next M3 doesnt fair well?
Appreciate 2
SDRX204.00
GGG333603.50
      05-26-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Fhey
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M440i

Garage List
2023 BMW M440i  [10.00]
Well, I was considering getting the new M3 or M4, but if it disappoints I think I'll get an M2 instead.
Appreciate 1
SD ///M42992.00
      05-26-2019, 03:01 PM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Like Arnold would say...
“I’ll be back”

I think when the new M3 rolls out, it won’t be as bad as people will make it out to be.

You didn’t state your points as to why you’re not liking the direction BMW is going... it’s not like we’re headed back to the Bangle butt design...
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #4
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Like Arnold would say...
“I’ll be back”

I think when the new M3 rolls out, it won’t be as bad as people will make it out to be.

You didn’t state your points as to why you’re not liking the direction BMW is going... it’s not like we’re headed back to the Bangle butt design...
Here is where BMW messed up

1- Do they bother reading these forums to actually see what there customers want, instead of pandering to the china markets with huge grills and very chic styling that looks awful?

2. The new M3 will have a ZF, if they bothered to look at these forums they would know people still want the DCT.

3. If they kept the continuity of the F8X style with updated parts and tech, then they would have a winning car.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:13 PM   #5
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

It’s fun to discuss the indicated and guessed looks and specifications of the new M3 but I will not make any decision until the final product is revealed. BMW still kept me as a customer when they removed my favorite characteristic of their cars, the perfect tuning and feel of their hydraulic steering. They kept my business when they took away the insanely good ( for a non super car ) high-revving NA V8 in the M3. Why? Because the M3 is still the best overall package for us who prefer the BMW approach to car making and driving. And the F80s chassis responses with the passive suspension is better than any BMW before it IMO. They take away and they give but in the end only Porsche can compete but the cost of ownership of the P-car is on another level.

If you leave, my bet is that you’ll be back unless you comfortably can go 911CS or better.
Appreciate 3
xlover2191.00
sguler26.50
JTO245246.50
      05-26-2019, 03:17 PM   #6
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
It's fun to discuss the indicated and guessed looks and specifications of the new M3 but I will not make any decision until the final product is revealed. BMW still kept me as a customer when they removed my favorite characteristic of their cars, the perfect tuning and feel of their hydraulic steering. They kept my business when they took away the insanely good ( for a non super car ) high-revving NA V8 in the M3. Why? Because the M3 is still the best overall package for us who prefer the BMW approach to car making and driving. And the F80s chassis responses with the passive suspension is better than any BMW before it IMO. They take away and they give but in the end only Porsche can compete but the cost of ownership of the P-car is on another level.

If you leave, my bet is that you'll be back unless you comfortably can go 911CS or better.
I'm not saying I'm done for good, im currently deciding between an M3CS fully optioned or M3 Comp Pack, M5 Comp and even waiting for the M8 GC. But I need to look at what I would get into after I'm done with any of those cars. But again the M3 has always fit what I think a great M car is. They just dont listen to there actual customer base, rather pandering to foreign markets and completely changing design language. Hell, they are in the process of testing an M3 Wagon, yet we wont get that in the US...why? Because they just dont care, they dont bother having any of there marketing teams read these forums to see what people actually want. It's a damn shame.

I would also prefer if they kept the design language of the F8X, not this new styling.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #7
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

I’m sure they read the forums, however, we make up a small percentage of the total audience, worldwide. Also don’t forget that BMW is a publicly traded company so stock earnings are heavily factored in, which mean sales. I don’t think the large grills that are floating around will be actual production design.

Not sure your point on #2. ZF makes the DCT transmission. The last I read was that the DCT wasn’t able to reliably handle the torque and power of the new power plants so they were moving to a new platform from ZF.

The F8X style is dated. Like it or not. It’s the same argument people have with E36, E46, E9X etc. I’m sure it’ll be a hot minute for people to adjust to the new style, but will win many over.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:23 PM   #8
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

Quote:
I’m sure they read the forums, however, we make up a small percentage of the total audience, worldwide. Also don’t forget that BMW is a publicly traded company so stock earnings are heavily factored in, which mean sales. I don’t think the large grills that are floating around will be actual production design.

Not sure your point on #2. ZF makes the DCT transmission. The last I read was that the DCT wasn’t able to reliably handle the torque and power of the new power plants so they were moving to a new platform from ZF.

The F8X style is dated. Like it or not. It’s the same argument people have with E36, E46, E9X etc. I’m sure it’ll be a hot minute for people to adjust to the new style, but will win many over.
I was talking in regard to the ZF8 vs DCT. The DCT feels more performance oriented.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbmw98 View Post
I'm not saying I'm done for good, im currently deciding between an M3CS fully optioned or M3 Comp Pack, M5 Comp and even waiting for the M8 GC. But I need to look at what I would get into after I'm done with any of those cars. But again the M3 has always fit what I think a great M car is. They just dont listen to there actual customer base, rather pandering to foreign markets and completely changing design language. Hell, they are in the process of testing an M3 Wagon, yet we wont get that in the US...why? Because they just dont care, they dont bother having any of there marketing teams read these forums to see what people actually want. It's a damn shame.
Agreed, though it’s always been like that. BMW trust their own choices and not seldom they know better than the customers, especially when it comes to design. Cars that looks like shyte initially (E60 vs E39) turns out to become one of the coolest most timeless designs. The E60 M5 still looks awesome to me and the E39 just looks old and tired in comparison. And now the wildly criticized X7 huge grills are already dating all other X cars except the new X5 which has similar large grills.

The change from more important aspects are more serious as the hydraulic steering and high revving NA engines but these changes are driven by regulations and not what BMW preferred. A removal of the MT would be very serious though and I can see the die hard MT drivers leaving if that happens.
Appreciate 1
xlover2191.00
      05-26-2019, 03:38 PM   #10
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

Quote:
Agreed, though it's always been like that. BMW trust their own choices and not seldom they know better than the customers, especially when it comes to design. Cars that looks like shyte initially (E60 vs E39) turns out to become one of the coolest most timeless designs. The E60 M5 still looks awesome to me and the E39 just looks old and tired in comparison. And now the wildly criticized X7 huge grills are already dating all other X cars except the new X5 which has similar large grills.

The change from more important aspects are more serious as the hydraulic steering and high revving NA engines but these changes are driven by regulations and not what BMW preferred. A removal of the MT would be very serious though and I can see the die hard MT drivers leaving if that happens.
See, and I dont mind the new styling on SUV's but I do mind it on such an iconic car like the M3. I just really hope BMW takes the design language in an M5 and transfers that to the new M3.
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      05-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #11
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

I’m most likely out, but there’s no need to deal in absolutes. Unless you’re a Sith, heheh.

I pretty much hate everything i’m hearing and seeing about the next generations, with the exception of the M2C. also there are too many other good options out there to wait around for them to come to their senses and not take my money elsewhere. But they’re always welcome to win me back with a future offering, though - i’m not ready to say i’m done forever.

Those stupid fucking grilles are absolutely a showstopper, though. That i can confidently say i’d never buy.
Appreciate 1
      05-26-2019, 03:50 PM   #12
iamwingman
Major
Rep
Drives: 21 Carrera S, 23 Tesla Model S

Quote:
3. If they kept the continuity of the F8X style with updated parts and tech, then they would have a winning car.
If they went by these forums they wouldn’t have a dct or a zf. They’d have a manual only, because feeling connected to the car is priority one. Also no cup holders. Oh yes, almost forgot, no armrests because this forum knows that you ALWAYS keep your hands at the 9 and 3..
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #13
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:

There are plenty of DCTs out there that can handle higher amounts of HP/TQ. Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari are all using them. BMW wants to cut costs so they can make Electric Toyotas with Roundel's on the hood. Wait they are already doing that :

Using a ZF8 in an ///M car is a travesty. It might work for the Land Yacht M5 crowd but won't work out to well for BMW in the M2/3/4 models.
Appreciate 3
AD18347.50
scm6079118.00
pbar1380.50
      05-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #14
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth One View Post
I'm most likely out, but there's no need to deal in absolutes. Unless you're a Sith, heheh.

I pretty much hate everything i'm hearing and seeing about the next generations, with the exception of the M2C. also there are too many other good options out there to wait around for them to come to their senses and not take my money elsewhere. But they're always welcome to win me back with a future offering, though - i'm not ready to say i'm done forever.

Those stupid fucking grilles are absolutely a showstopper, though. That i can confidently say i'd never buy.

I'm watching a Star Wars Marathon on TNT right now

Appreciate 2
RWSM348.50
Darth One6612.50
      05-26-2019, 03:55 PM   #15
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep

This shit is gonna lose a lot of customers
Attached Images

Appreciate 5
RWSM348.50
Germanauto9665.50
GrussGott18113.00
BBoyM367.00
      05-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #16
RWSM3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3

The grille kills me
      05-26-2019, 04:03 PM   #17
chicagoshark
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

I will say I was very under impressed by the C63 amg.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:04 PM   #18
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

See I knew I'm not the only one who hates what they are doing. This shit is annoying, I mean really the new designers at BMW are shit.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:07 PM   #19
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoshark View Post
I will say I was very under impressed by the C63 amg.
I'm looking more at the E63S. The only cars I'm considering from BMW are the M5 Comp, M3 Comp or M3 CS, or M8 GC if it's good. I'm just tired of this stupid non aggressive styling. BMW has become soft.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:09 PM   #20
solstice
Major General
Rep

Quote:
See, and I dont mind the new styling on SUV's but I do mind it on such an iconic car like the M3. I just really hope BMW takes the design language in an M5 and transfers that to the new M3.
You see, I think the 5 looks classy and very boring. It’s a safe and lazy update which is ok for an executive sedan like the M5. I’m very excited that it seems the M3 isn’t going down the same route and that we instead could get something very fresh and very different. That’s the problem with designs, it’s very subjective and it’s impossible for BMW to follow everyone’s wishes.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #21
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post

I'm watching a Star Wars Marathon on TNT right now

Username checks out! (Mine does too)
Appreciate 2
      05-26-2019, 04:10 PM   #22
Jbmw98
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
You see, I think the 5 looks classy and very boring. It’s a safe and lazy update which is ok for an executive sedan like the M5. I’m very excited that it seems the M3 isn’t going down the same route and that we instead could get something very fresh and very different. That’s the problem with designs, it’s very subjective and it’s impossible for BMW to follow everyone’s wishes.
I think if they followed the popular opinion that the F80 looked great and MAJORITY of people loved it.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread