Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions How to tell if a BMW is eligible for Adaptive M Suspension upgrade through BMW?

04-17-2024, 06:06 PM   #1
umihuss
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i

How to tell if a BMW is eligible for Adaptive M Suspension upgrade through BMW?

It looks like BMW offers the Adaptive M Suspension upgrade through their online shop for some cars if they are eligible (link below)

I'm looking to purchase a Used 2021 or 2022 BMW m340i and want to buy one with Adaptive M Suspension but majority do not have it.

It looks like BMW offers it for some vehicles, so I'm thinking I can simply upgrade it through the app, is that correct?

If so, is there a way to tell if a used BMW is eligible for the upgrade and how? Does it depend on the year, or make, or certain options to be included at time of purchase?

Thank you!

https://www.bmw.com/en-au/shop/ls/dp/VDC_Offer_au
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 07:20 PM   #2
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

That is not the US site. I don't think those options are available here. If you are in Australia, then looks like it could be an option. (Option to add it after sale, edited for clarity).

Last edited by bap340i; 04-17-2024 at 09:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 08:47 PM   #3
SLGrassoPA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

If you live in NYC, find one with the Adaptive M, period. If you can't find a pre-owned with it, then go new.

My personal opinion - it's kind of a requirement for the roads anywhere in the Northeast, which are mostly in poor condition.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-fahrwerk.html

Appreciate 2
      04-17-2024, 10:52 PM   #4
umihuss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap340i View Post
That is not the US site. I don't think those options are available here. If you are in Australia, then looks like it could be an option. (Option to add it after sale, edited for clarity).
I'm an idiot haha, didn't realize it wasn't US. That sucks, RIP SOOO tough finding one with M Suspension
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 07:05 AM   #5
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 X7 - 2024 G26

Quote:
Originally Posted by umihuss View Post
I'm an idiot haha, didn't realize it wasn't US. That sucks, RIP SOOO tough finding one with M Suspension
It's going to be impossible, I would guess that less than 3% of all G20's come with the option. You really need to be in the know to order it that way, dealerships never order them that way, and so you're down to a handful of enthusiasts (us) who wind up with them. And even if you get so lucky as to find one (!) it won't be in a color combination that you like or it will be missing some key options. So buy new and order it yourself or give up on finding Adaptive M through the used market.
Appreciate 1
zlatko132.50
      04-18-2024, 07:26 AM   #6
justplain
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D MY2013

Raises an interesting question though, will BMW start installing the adaptive suspension as standard in say, M-Sport models and then you either pay a sub or buy outright to activate ?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 08:57 AM   #7
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplain View Post
Raises an interesting question though, will BMW start installing the adaptive suspension as standard in say, M-Sport models and then you either pay a sub or buy outright to activate ?
Too expensive for that. It's an entirely different, unique suspension than the one that comes standard on the Sport (aka Base) or M-Sport models.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:04 AM   #8
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
I've noticed at my local BMW dealers now that almost all of the new M340i's that they stock are equipped with adaptive suspension which wasn't the case previously. The standard car for them is the xDrive variant equipped with sensatec, driving assist package, premium package, remote engine start, harman kardon, and adaptive suspension. That's probably 90% of them, the rest are basically the same but with leather instead.

Not sure what other markets look like.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 09:24 AM   #9
bap340i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340I

I was unable to test drive one with adaptive suspension but added it to my order. The salesman thought it was a waste of money. He never met my wife. I would add adaptive cruise today if it was offered through Connected Drive. I highly recommend adaptive suspension if you can find one.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:10 AM   #10
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bap340i View Post
I was unable to test drive one with adaptive suspension but added it to my order. The salesman thought it was a waste of money. He never met my wife. I would add adaptive cruise today if it was offered through Connected Drive. I highly recommend adaptive suspension if you can find one.
Its definitely worth it if you want a more cushy ride to soak up the bumps.Even in the sport setting it is less firm then the m sport suspension.I prefer a firmer suspension in all driving situations.Thats why i ordered the M340i with the m sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:42 AM   #11
umihuss
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddwalton View Post
It's going to be impossible, I would guess that less than 3% of all G20's come with the option. You really need to be in the know to order it that way, dealerships never order them that way, and so you're down to a handful of enthusiasts (us) who wind up with them. And even if you get so lucky as to find one (!) it won't be in a color combination that you like or it will be missing some key options. So buy new and order it yourself or give up on finding Adaptive M through the used market.
I would 100% buy new, but I love having physical buttons and prefer pre-LCI so much more.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 11:51 AM   #12
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLGrassoPA View Post
If you live in NYC, find one with the Adaptive M, period. If you can't find a pre-owned with it, then go new.

My personal opinion - it's kind of a requirement for the roads anywhere in the Northeast, which are mostly in poor condition.

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...-fahrwerk.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4hz_rMedXk&t=1s
I know I'm mostly in the minority here but I had a 340 without adaptive and now I have one with adaptive and I could care less about it.
Appreciate 2
      04-18-2024, 12:34 PM   #13
Shaneartistry
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by m240nj View Post
I know I'm mostly in the minority here but I had a 340 without adaptive and now I have one with adaptive and I could care less about it.
Good to know. So you don’t notice much difference day to day?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:18 PM   #14
Nettles
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M340i

Previous car was an F30 340i with adaptive and 60k+ miles seat time. Adaptive was great and I really wanted it, but as mentioned on a 2020 was near impossible to find. Having said that, in Socal non adaptive on M340i is fine. Over the years I've really noticed people's tolerance levels are so wide and far on this forum. Test drive one yourself and make the decisions for yourself.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 02:41 PM   #15
Eric_M328i
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M340i (Build)

Garage List
2023 BMW M340i  [9.05]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SW19 View Post
Its definitely worth it if you want a more cushy ride to soak up the bumps.Even in the sport setting it is less firm then the m sport suspension.I prefer a firmer suspension in all driving situations.Thats why i ordered the M340i with the m sport suspension.
I could be wrong but from previous threads and other’s experiences I was under the impresson the adaptive on sport mode is more firm than m sport. Its basically a best of both worlds suspension setup.

I havent driven one without adaptive so I dont know from experience but my adaptive in sport definetly feels firm and gives confidence in turns.
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2024, 02:57 PM   #16
SW19
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 Alpine White M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_M328i View Post
I could be wrong but from previous threads and other’s experiences I was under the impresson the adaptive on sport mode is more firm than m sport. Its basically a best of both worlds suspension setup.

I havent driven one without adaptive so I dont know from experience but my adaptive in sport definetly feels firm and gives confidence in turns.
Definitely wasn’t the case for me.I test drove two different cars with the adaptive m suspension to be sure.In both test drives i still found the adaptive m suspension was less firm in sport mode then the m sport suspension.

Everyone who is considering ordering an M340i should definitely test drive both suspensions before they order the car.What i did was drive them back to back at the same time.Just to be sure i did the same thing at another dealer about a month later before i finally ordered the car.

The hardest part is most dealers do not have a dealer stock car with the adaptive m suspension.I was lucky finding one dealer that had a demo that the manager was driving and another dealer had one that someone had ordered but decided not to get.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2024, 10:21 PM   #17
TheJellyo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Quote:
Can confirm, I spent many many many months waiting to find a clean unit with adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 1
toddwalton1328.50
      04-19-2024, 06:34 AM   #18
m240nj
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaneartistry View Post
Good to know. So you don’t notice much difference day to day?
There's definitely a difference that can be felt at low speeds over rough terrain but I have to really be focused to even notice it. That being said, I put the car right into sport plus as soon as I get in the car 95% of the time. I'm very rarely in comfort. It's definitely personal preference per several of the other comments.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 12:20 PM   #19
toddwalton
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I would 100% buy new, but I love having physical buttons and prefer pre-LCI so much more.

In the battle between physical buttons and Adaptive Suspension, the Adaptive Suspension wins by a mile.

iDrive 7 has more physical buttons than a 1990 boombox, so squeezed in and so poorly laid out that it’s actually harder to differentiate than just tapping the touchscreen.

And, I mean, do you really need 5 different physical buttons to get to the same favorite radio station? Seriously? And you definitely need to take your eyes off the road to hit button number 6 because it feels no different than button number 7. Not to mention that you need to remember what button number 6 even does and your line of sight is at your knees.

The removal of the iDrive 7 buttons makes no difference at all in iDrive 8 once you get used to the swipe-down to bring up the 1-8 shortcuts. The rest are Climate Control based and the new Climate Control is so good that you only need to set it once and forget it save the physical buttons that remain on the bottom of the iDrive 8 screen for temperature.

Trust me on this one. I used to be a big "take away my physical buttons over my dead body!" guy and one weekend with iDrive 8 completely changed my mind. You don't want to make this the obstacle to getting Adaptive Suspension and a brand new car you order with every option and color exactly the way you want it.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2024, 02:09 PM   #20
koopa
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 M240i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
iDrive 7 has more physical buttons than a 1990 boombox, so squeezed in and so poorly laid out that it’s actually harder to differentiate than just tapping the touchscreen.
I know you're the resident iDrive 8 fan and I wouldn't dispute you can get used to it quickly, but now you're claiming that the buttons in the old system are so poorly laid out that it's harder to use buttons? Come on, even you don't believe that.
Appreciate 8
      04-19-2024, 03:50 PM   #21
SLGrassoPA
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M340

I agree with Koopa - the buttons are not poorly laid out. For me, the more buttons - the better.

I also agree with toddwalton - the Adaptive Suspension is essential, a must have if you live anywhere where the roads are not in great shape.

Between the two, I would take the Adaptive all day long - it completely transforms the ride into very comfortable (or super tight). The adaptive suspension wins - by a 100 miles!!!

if you buy a 3 series (esp. an M340) without the adaptive, and live, for example, in the northeast, every time you drive over a rough road you'll be saying it's not that bad, when in reality you'll know you made a big mistake buying the car.

It's a relatively inexpensive option. Don't get the car without it, even if you have to go new and lose the pre LCI buttons.
Appreciate 3
koopa116.50
zlatko132.50
      04-19-2024, 04:55 PM   #22
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

OP - have you had a change to test drive back to back with and without Adaptive? You be the best judge and take everything you read on here as subjective.

I have Adaptive myself but I could care less after driving several loaners without the option. Perhaps if I didn't live in CA I might feel differently. However, hit a pothole (especially that you're in NYC) it won't make a difference whether you have Adaptive or not - this point is not debatable.

You will benefit from this feature if you're driving on rough or uneven pavement, the difference is noticable there. The most noticable feel you'll experience is when it comes to body roll; the suspension is superb in adjusting accordingly.

To reiterate, go for a ride and decide for yourself. There are a few folks on this forum from NYC who drive without Adaptive suspension and seem fine — again all of this is super subjective because everyone's tolerance level is different. I have low tolerance and simply assumed by getting the Adaptive suspension it will be as plush as the 5 series - I was dead wrong.

Don't shortchange yourself - get first hand information and buy a car that makes you happy.
Appreciate 0