Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Technical Topics iDrive, Nav, Phone, Audio, Video, Cameras, Electronics G20 Working 3rd Party Wireless Charger!

07-21-2020, 08:43 PM   #1
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i Gran Coupe

G20 Working 3rd Party Wireless Charger!

Hey guys! So I've seen a few others post about how annoying it is to have a G20 with the digital key card feature (NFC) but not the wireless charging.

I can happily say I've found a wireless charging solution for those of us that did not get the wireless charging option from the factory. I've included the link to the wireless charger on Amazon below. I can confirm that it does work perfectly and fits extremely well in the phone tray.

In the description it does indicate that it will not work if the car has NFC and it also indicates that you need to remove the rubber tray liner before installing. Both of those seem to be false. Its working flawlessly in my car (Yes, unfortunately Apple Pay is still triggered sometimes).

I installed it with no issues and did not remove the rubber tray liner. From what I've noticed it charges my phone about 5% every 30 minutes or so. It uses the existing USB port in the cupholders and in my opinion looks fantastic.

I can post pictures of my install if people want to see what it actually looks like!

Wireless Charger Link: https://www.amazon.com/CarQiWireless...5381995&sr=8-2

Last edited by exhibhooligan; 07-22-2020 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 1
Hysnbrg191.00
      07-22-2020, 09:26 AM   #2
Mermaid!
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Great! I just ordered one. I'd love to see pics of your install!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #3
mikeyb74
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 330ix M Sport

Garage List
Do you have install photos?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 11:52 AM   #4
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I'll post install pictures today. It's easy to install. The only thing I did different then the instructions was I added a few pieces of 3M double sided tape to the bottom of the charger. Probably not necessary at all but I wanted to future proof against rattling. Then just stick the charger in the phone tray and that's it!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2020, 12:32 PM   #5
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Not the best pictures but it shows how clean the install is. Basically put a few strips of 3M double sided tape on the bottom (prevent possible rattling), stuck it to the existing phone tray rubber pad and that's it.

The cord length is almost perfect but I tucked it in slightly under the wireless charger (they have a cut out specifically for that).

Other then that it's an extremely clean install that I'm pretty happy with.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
VipinLJ1936.50
mikeyb74108.50
      07-22-2020, 04:51 PM   #6
FrostNixon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vw golf

Tbh it's better than the stock, since it's 10W instead of the stock 5w.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 09:13 PM   #7
Hysnbrg
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 30;2020 M340;2016 340

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
I can't seem to find it, but wouldn't the power output of the usb be a limiting factor here?
I remember reading that this specific port only supported 5w, or am I wrong to say that?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2020, 11:46 PM   #8
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hysnbrg View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostNixon View Post
I can't seem to find it, but wouldn't the power output of the usb be a limiting factor here?
I remember reading that this specific port only supported 5w, or am I wrong to say that?

I do think the usb is limited to 5w since it's just a normal usb-a port. But, it still charges at a pretty decent rate. The charge pad is rated for 10w power but it says in the description you need to use a separate adapter in the cigarette port if you want to take advantage of the full 10 watts.

If you're using wireless CarPlay it's fantastic to be getting a little bit of charge instead of nothing!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2020, 01:58 PM   #9
Nichols623
Rep
Drives: G20

How often does the NFC pick up ApplePay? I had something similar and cheaper, but it picked up every 10 min so I had to remove.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2020, 12:56 AM   #10
exhibhooligan
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nichols623 View Post
How often does the NFC pick up ApplePay? I had something similar and cheaper, but it picked up every 10 min so I had to remove.
So for me I've noticed that if I put my phone in the charging pad before starting the car Apple Pay is triggered about 8 out of 10 times. I think this is due to the car sensing an NFC device is present (Assuming its the digital key and trying to read it) thus summoning Apple Pay. If the car senses an NFC devices it's thinking that it's you trying to use a Digital Key.

But, if I wait to put my phone on the charging pad after I've started the car I've only had 2 instances of Apple Pay being triggered out of around 50-60 times so far.

The good thing is even if I place my phone on the charging pad before starting the car and Apple Pay is triggered. The phone still begins to wirelessly charge even if the Apple Pay screen is on. And once Apple Pay figures out it was a false alarm the screen goes away in around 10-20 seconds for me. So no real harm even if the Apple Pay screen gets triggered. Your phone is still charging wirelessly.
Appreciate 0