Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Road trip review of the 330e - Unparalleled efficiency

11-10-2020, 01:31 PM   #23
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeKay View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm7 View Post
That's awesome! What mode did you drive in? Hybrid or Hybrid Eco Pro? When you said it regenerated some electric, did you put it into battery control mode at all or you left it in hybrid?

How many kilometres were you able to drive before you had to refuel your petrol tank given you started at 0% battery charge?

I drove in adaptive mode and no, I didn't activate the battery control, it didn't make sense since I was anyway using and regenerating all the time. The car would switch to gas by itself depending on the conditions anyway.

I'm not sure how many KMs because I refuelled before I actually needed it, since I was in an area that had very few gas stations, so I tried to keep the tank with enough gas as to feel sure of that I wouldn't be in trouble. The fuel economy was what I posted above though, so that gives you an indication.

Anyway, I was driving in an area with a lot of up and downhills, in the mountains, so that had both positive and negative effects on the overall economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by '[/:\
GP9000;26564241']Thanks for sharing the Trip and review of your 330e. Norway and Nordics in general definitely are worth á roadtrip vacation telling from your pictures.

Any other feature you enjoy in particular?
Well, to be honest, I love everything about this car. Being able to use the cruise control and let the car drive by itself is actually quite nice for long trips, at least for the highway areas. Also the fact that is so quite, helps relax a lot, especially when you want to just enjoy some music.

The TTI system is very useful as well, and the map, which is the biggest flaw in iDrive 7, did a good job getting us to the right destinations.

I know this car doesn't have the performance of a 330i or the 340i, but it's responsive and has more than enough power 99% of the time.

One thing I love as well is the heated steering wheel. It really is very nice to be able to turn it on and getting your hands warm in no time.

Honestly, I'm yet to find an option that I'd consider redundant. I think I use every single one of them depending on the occasion.
What's the flaw with the map?
I've had a lot of issues with the map/nav being inaccurate, taking me through completely stupid or closed roads. It also takes ages to update the map, even if you update the software every quarter.

I've been waiting more than half a year already for Here to update the map and show that a tunnel nearby where I live is open again. New roads take ages to be added, etc. Google Maps is a lot better.
Damn doesn't sound nice. Might just be me that haven't been that unlucky, but my trusty old NBT Nav system is still amazing. Love it for road trips!

Thinking about a 430e GC when it's ready and looked forward to the new iDrive 7 but you made me nervous
      11-10-2020, 04:03 PM   #24
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Thinking about a 430e GC when it's ready and looked forward to the new iDrive 7 but you made me nervous
I think it's greatly dependent on the country though, I guess in the US or in other bigger countries it should work better. More users, more data, less construction work going on should help, and Android Auto as well

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 1
clee1982796.00
      11-10-2020, 06:37 PM   #25
jackaleyess
Lieutenant
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 2011 528i M-sport (sold), 2018

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackaleyess View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndroy2006 View Post
Beautiful car, beautiful country... thanks for the great review on the 330e.. I once drove from Bergen to Sunddalsora.. via Geiranger... in a E91.. stunning scenery!! Every corner is a real life post card! A must do on anybody's lifetime bucket list... Drive Norway!! It's got to be one of the best road trips in the world!! I'd love to come back again with my new G21... but not sure if Norway will let me in with a diesel car?
Norway banned diesel car alrdy?
If politicians get away with their plan, from 2025 only emission-free new cars will be sold here.
Oh man politics again... these politicians sometimes do more bad than good. Lol.

So meaning after 2025 not even PHEV will be sold? So no more fun driving cars?
      11-12-2020, 02:46 AM   #26
DeeKay
Captain
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2021 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
I think it's greatly dependent on the country though, I guess in the US or in other bigger countries it should work better. More users, more data, less construction work going on should help, and Android Auto as well
Yeah but I'm from Denmark, and my current NBT system works pretty damn good - Shouldn't be a system with more errors.

Have read that BMW doesn't plan on making a plug-in hybrid of the new 4-Coupé though - so chances of it coming to the Gran Coupe isn't massive.
      11-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #27
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Yeah but I'm from Denmark, and my current NBT system works pretty damn good - Shouldn't be a system with more errors.

Have read that BMW doesn't plan on making a plug-in hybrid of the new 4-Coupé though - so chances of it coming to the Gran Coupe isn't massive.
I've driven to Denmark (Copenhagen) twice with this car and there the map/nav works a lot better. The iDrive even shows more info, like anticipatory speed limits, which are not available here.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2020, 05:45 PM   #28
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

The built-in nav is surprisingly good. I used it several times before I got the Android Auto update. Of course, it can't compete with Google Maps/Waze. I use Waze for obvious reasons. Search for locations on Google, navigate with Waze. Works great with Android Auto.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 03:41 AM   #29
bentdal
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW e46 M3

Cool Great minds think alike

Was admiring your ride on the ferry as well, a bit jealous of your comfort! Hehe.

Great review, thinking about getting the 330e.

Pål.
Appreciate 1
eddiehaug742.50
      11-13-2020, 06:32 AM   #30
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentdal View Post

Was admiring your ride on the ferry as well, a bit jealous of your comfort! Hehe.

Great review, thinking about getting the 330e.

Pål.
Hhahaa...it was you in that car! I saw you enjoying the breeze together with you companion on the way to the other side! Let me know if you wanna give the 330e a try

Last edited by eddiehaug; 11-13-2020 at 06:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 01:50 AM   #31
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Tomorrow I'll be picking up mine and as this will be a pure pick-up without explanation (covid) I had a question regarding battery efficiency. I looked around and I think I saw the question but not an answer: I know when you navigate you can put it in hybrid adaptive where it will look at the route and determine the most efficient way on when to engage the battery or engine. Does this also work with Google maps while using Android auto?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 10:58 AM   #32
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikvdb View Post
Tomorrow I'll be picking up mine and as this will be a pure pick-up without explanation (covid) I had a question regarding battery efficiency. I looked around and I think I saw the question but not an answer: I know when you navigate you can put it in hybrid adaptive where it will look at the route and determine the most efficient way on when to engage the battery or engine. Does this also work with Google maps while using Android auto?
I think you should ask that question in the Software Update thread. Unfortunately, I still haven't received the 07.2020 update, so I don't know. Maybe other folks here can comment as well.

There are a couple of threads discussing all-things 07.2020 software update, and there you have several folks who've had Android Auto for a few weeks now.

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 11:07 AM   #33
Rikvdb
Private
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW iX3

Thanks, Will do
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2020, 12:44 PM   #34
Spartanets
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e M-Sport

Quote:
I was hoping it would do so with iOS but it does not as the iPhone doesn't seem to talk to the car to control whether it uses electric or engine power. Therefore, I would 'assume' that would be the case for Google Maps on Android.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2020, 09:42 AM   #35
Mazman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: slow

Quote:
It would only be the internal GPS/Maps. E.g. google maps etc does not show on the HUD or central screen on the driver display.
      03-23-2021, 10:40 AM   #36
spr-guest13
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW g20

Quote:
Last week, I had the opportunity to have a proper road trip over the mountains in Norway, and I thought it'd be interesting to share my experience for those who are considering the 330e as their next ride, or for those who haven't had the opportunity to do so yet.

The crew:

I travelled together with my wife and my kid, plus a friend and his kid. This means the car was totally packed full of people and the trunk full of things and bags (which makes me want even more the 330e Touring, but that's gonna have to wait).

Anyway, the bottom-line is the car was packed full and heavy.

The specs that matter:

Adaptive M suspension: Running on 18's run-flats and the ride was superb. The car was very quite (check the video below, which was filmed at about 80Kms/H) and very comfortable for all passengers. The car absorbs bumps and holes very well, and it's just super comfortable.

Adaptive Drive: The car did a great job at switching between battery and gasoline based on the road, speed limits and so on. Just great.

Adaptive Laser Headlights: A must-have for everyone driving in dark areas where animals can become a hazard. The mountains I was driving on where full of sheep, cows, reindeer, and moose, so laser lights are absolutely a security feature above all.

Here there's a video I captured of the adaptive laser headlights highlighting it's superior and magnificent lightning capabilities. Pay attention at around 1:13, where one can see that the car is illuminating a truck that is way ahead, beyond a curve, parked by the road.

The efficiency

This is what surprised me the most. I charge the batteries every day, and I'm used to driving in electric mode and seeing the car deliver between 40-50 Kms of range when driving in pure electric (summer).

The question is, and what happens when the battery is depleted?

Well, in this trip I learned that what happens is that the car will freaking magically recharge from nothing and everything, and it'll deliver km after km of pure electric driving. More specifically, after starting with 0Kms of battery on the dashboard, and after having driven more than 500 Kms, more than a 180 of those were driven in pure electric mode, for a reported consumption of 17.5Kms/l.

Some of the magic comes from quite a lot of downhill driving (at some point, after a long drive down along Trollstigen, I was at almost 50% battery, even though I started the trip at 0%) . However, there was a lot of uphill as well; and remember, I was driving a fully packed car.

Unfortunately, I didn't take a picture of that (sorry!), but I can assure you that was what I saw reported by iDrive. I was totally in awe.

Here you can see a few pics from the trip, including a panoramic view over Geiranger fjord and a close encounter with an M3 on the ferry

UPDATE:

Added some efficiency numbers from a different trip. 900Kms roundtrip. The values in the screenshots correspond to starting the trips with a full battery, and using Dynamic mode all the way. The trip included driving up a mountain, reaching 1250 meters over sea level, and lots of 40-80Km/H zones. On the way back, I also used Sport Mode in some short areas, mostly for overtaking other cars.
"17.5Kms/l" comes to approx 49 mpg (UK) which is amazing for a car with 0% battery and with passengers.....
I am in the process of getting my 330e saloon sports soon and was very worried as I wont be able to charge and do decent travel every day....
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2021, 02:48 AM   #37
CrilMitic
Registered
Rep
Drives: none

Pics are brilliant. Good old Norway...wanna visit it again (last time was in 2007). In general, my trips throughout the Europe were extremely long. For example, I spent the whole summer of 2019 in German-speaking countries: Germany, Austria, Switzerland. I liked traveling everywhere but the nature and infrastructure of the Western Germany amazed me the most. We traveled mostly by train getting tickets at dbauskunft.com for reasonable prices. Oh, I don't know if I have a time to visit these places again, but the vacations there were brilliant. I hope the covid situation will get better soon and I have the opportunity to plan my vacations.

Last edited by CrilMitic; 10-23-2021 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2022, 09:05 PM   #38
childman
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e G20

I will get the 330e this weekend. This is the good news to me. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2023, 10:16 AM   #39
mar.erskine
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e SE Pro Touring

No 'Adaptive' button on the 330e SE Pro.
When using Hybrid Eco Pro, the energy recuperation from decelerating and downhills is drastically reduced.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2023, 01:13 AM   #40
libsu
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 330e '19

In my understanding, the "Adaptive" -button will just affect the suspension/engine characteristics based on what the DSC is learning (like activating sport mode automatically when approaching a corner), if you have navigation on. So the button is not exclusively for "adaptive hybrid", rather you should think it as an "automatic driving mode" selector between comfort/sport.

Adaptive hybrid mode is always used if you have any of the hybrid driving modes selected and navigation is on.

Also, according to BMW, hybrid eco pro (coasting) is more efficient than regenerating. This way, when going downhill, the kinetic energy is used to propel the car forward instead of regenerating the battery, which in turn would also slow the car down more and requires you to get on the gas pedal earlier (-> uses more fuel).

Last edited by libsu; 07-12-2023 at 01:23 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2023, 05:45 AM   #41
Palos83
Rep
Drives: F34

thank you for the pics/ video, both car and countryside are looking lovely, laser headlights seem to do a very nice job !!
Appreciate 0