Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK G21 M340i ordered instead of a Campervan

02-16-2021, 03:39 PM   #23
evil_scooby
m340i owner
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Ex Scoob, Ex S4, ex 335d m340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by verysideways View Post
Wonder if a roof tent will fit on a G21?
I was thinking the same lol
Saw an advert for one today and was curious about them as we are selling our motorhome
Appreciate 1
      02-17-2021, 02:20 PM   #24
LFC Phil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil_scooby View Post
I was thinking the same lol
Saw an advert for one today and was curious about them as we are selling our motorhome
Great time to sell a motorhome. Demand is really high. Good luck
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 03:42 AM   #25
Tiredeyes69
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G21

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC Phil View Post
Hi all,

Bit of a long post this sorry...

Our company car goes back in April so being a bit of a car geek I started looking at its replacement (to buy this time) about a year ago.
I test drove an M340i and loved it. However, since lockdown, we had loads of time to think about future plans and decided to buy a VW California Campervan. We have always fancied having one, so we hired one for 2 days in August. I'm glad we did, as we were quite surprised. We were sure it would be right for us, but we were left a little disappointed to be honest. It was coming in at £67k with discount, so a lot of money. Then there was about £5-6k of extras needed to get it looking and working better.
We found the overall build quality and refinement to be nowhere near as good as BMW/Audi. It is essentially a van, a very nice van, but still a van and you could tell. There was no electrical adjustment on the seats and no leather option. The infotainment system is not the best. There were a few other bits and pieces that we didn't like, and after initially deciding to not order one, we changed our minds and went and ordered one in early September. We knew there were compromises, but we tried talking ourselves away from them. We were initially told delivery would be by the end of 2020, a bit early as we've still got the company car until April, but we'd have coped! Then it went to March delivery. Next thing we find out, by enquiring ourselves as VW never contacted us, that we had a Provisional build date of June 2021!! Apparently the 204bhp engine has had to be changed due to not meeting RDE2 emission standards - who'd have thought - VW and emissions problems!
We had still had some nagging doubts about the whole thing, so this delay pushed us into cancelling the order a couple of weeks ago. We just can't take the risk of being without a car for a few months, plus we'd lost all confidence in VW. We also thought long and hard about the amount of use it would get, and it really isn't the ideal time for us to go camping just yet. We just got carried away in all the hype and YouTube videos of the "wonderful" van life...

So, we have now ordered an M340i G21. I really wanted one and was a little sad that I wouldn't get one as we were buying the Cali, so I'm actually quite excited. However, as an active member on the California forum I've had a load of grief from people on there, openly slating me and my decision, together with slating BMW! I have owned a few BM's over the years and I know that they p all over VW for quality and the customer service is completely different. I would have been buying a Cali from VW Commercial Vehicles - the local dealership is a bit of a dump and they weren't interested in doing me a deal, so I purchased from a dealer 130 miles away. With BMW, I got my local dealer to match the best price I'd found, no problem. I asked what the lead time would be on an M340i and he said about 12 weeks. We ordered last week and he phoned me a couple of days ago to say as the dealership already had a build slot, they are expecting delivery on week 9, which is early March. I am still gobsmacked. It was looking like 12 months with VW.

Our order is for an M340i Touring
Oxide Grey
Technology Plus pack
Comfort plus pack
Aluminium mesh trim
Front M Sport Seats
Standard black leather
Cerium grey alloys/trim
Red brake calipers

We didn't go for the pano roof - we have one in our current car and it's ok, nothing special, plus we like dark interiors.
The Laserlights are my only "worry" - maybe I should have ordered them, but I'm hoping I won't regret that.

The bonus is that there's no compromises with the BM, unlike the Cali. There's nothing I can think of that isn't very good - maybe just the runflats but that's easily sorted if I need to. there's also not £5-6k worth of extras that need adding to the BM! For the Cali this included lowering springs, side bars, leather seats, gas and electric bits, spoilers, etc... not essentials but make it a lot better. So around £72k in total. That's a lot of cash, however those on the Cali forum reminded me that it was a much better financial proposition than a new BMW, and they are probably right when you take depreciation into account. But it's not just about that is it. You only live once and I'm at that stage of my life where I can finally afford a nice motor, so I'm going to have what I really want. The wife was never really fond of the camping aspect either, so she is relieved. She's well into detailing too, so at least she'll be able to reach the BM's roof

Soon, hopefully, we'll be doing the same road trips that we thought we'd be doing in the Cali, but stopping at cafe's and hotels instead of getting the gas stove on and stopping in a field. Oh, and getting there a lot quicker too!

SNAP
G21 Dravit Grey 330d xDrive M-Sport Pro Edition on order
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 04:43 PM   #26
LFC Phil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M340i G21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiredeyes69 View Post
SNAP
G21 Dravit Grey 330d xDrive M-Sport Pro Edition on order