Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Front suspension rumble normal?

10-30-2020, 07:26 AM   #1
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

Front suspension rumble normal?

Hi all, I picked up an 18 month old 330i in September. The car is in good condition but one thing that is driving me nuts is the front suspension.

Unfortunately I haven't been in enough of these cars to know if it's normal or not and the wait to get in to a dealership for investigation is ridiculous at around 2 months.

Basically if I'm driving over a rough road surface the front suspension is quite noisy, I hear every bump in the road that the wheels go over.

It's less pronounced in sports mode with the stiffer suspension (adaptive dampers) but its still there.

I wouldn't describe it as a knock, more of a rumble and only from the front.

There's nothing in the car that would be rattling around as its empty and sounds like its coming from the suspension and not inside the car.

I suspected it was the run flat tyres so changed them to star marked michelin mps4s but the noise is still there.

Does anyone know if this is normal and a trait of the car or likely to be a suspension problem?

Even my Mrs vw polo is quieter on rough road surfaces than mine
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 01:09 PM   #2
Funboy78
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ‘72’ BMW M340d G20 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure350z View Post
Hi all, I picked up an 18 month old 330i in September. The car is in good condition but one thing that is driving me nuts is the front suspension.

Unfortunately I haven't been in enough of these cars to know if it's normal or not and the wait to get in to a dealership for investigation is ridiculous at around 2 months.

Basically if I'm driving over a rough road surface the front suspension is quite noisy, I hear every bump in the road that the wheels go over.

It's less pronounced in sports mode with the stiffer suspension (adaptive dampers) but its still there.

I wouldn't describe it as a knock, more of a rumble and only from the front.

There's nothing in the car that would be rattling around as its empty and sounds like its coming from the suspension and not inside the car.

I suspected it was the run flat tyres so changed them to star marked michelin mps4s but the noise is still there.

Does anyone know if this is normal and a trait of the car or likely to be a suspension problem?

Even my Mrs vw polo is quieter on rough road surfaces than mine
Wow!
No offence but so glad it wasn’t just mine!

My 330i has a knocking noise from the front passenger side wheel, only noticeable at low speed and over bumps. In fact it’s posted on here somewhere only a matter of weeks ago. Sounds like a wheel bearing knock, or suspension rubber missing or something alike (I’m certainly no mechanic).

Left it with BMW, they called later that day to pick it up.
Apparently they heard the noise but thought it was from the rear so pulled in the back end (whatever that means).
Needless to say, issue still there and driving the car made me feel sick, like motion sickness.

Anyway..... booked it in again!!

Asked them to undo the last supposed fix and told them knocking is 100% that front end. Anyway, 2 days later got car back but couldn’t replicate! They said about seat belt knocking, sweets in the centre console blar blar..... and again, I’m no mechanic but can feel and hear when something isn’t right!

That was enough for me to start looking and on Wednesday traded the car in, so I’m sorry but no solution for you.

IF it’s the same I had, then it’s damn annoying and I couldn’t get it sorted. So the question is - is this normal like you say?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 04:57 PM   #3
Azure350z
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i

That's not a good sign, hopefully some others can chime in so we can see if it's normal or not
Appreciate 0