Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals G22 M440i tested by Joe Achilles - 0-60, Skid Pad, Performance Figures

10-30-2020, 01:46 PM   #23
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avaley View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
Performance and interior were never in question.
I disagree with this, some people have "grille derangement syndrome" and are borderline delusional and think this will be doing like 8 minute Nring runs...I posted a poll and I think two F80 owners voted that they think a g80 will be slower than a F80.

There is definitely bias and fwiw, I also hate the grille but there is no damn way BMW will make cars perform worse generation to generation
oh ya, no way a replacement model would purposely perform worse than the outgoing model. That's just silly thinking.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 1
Avaley728.00
      10-30-2020, 01:50 PM   #24
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Great color combo

Great review as well

Car is astonishingly quick
      10-30-2020, 01:55 PM   #25
Avaley
Captain
Rep
Drives: f32 430ix & 982 GT4 PDK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWorldOrder View Post
It might be more hp and torque, but bmw didn't have to fight hard to get there. Bootmod3 would get you those numbers and then some.
By that same logic, Bootmod3 would get you better numbers and then some on the G20 M440i vs the F32 440i no?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:01 PM   #26
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M240ix vert

Quote:
Quote:
It might be more hp and torque, but bmw didn't have to fight hard to get there. Bootmod3 would get you those numbers and then some.
By that same logic, Bootmod3 would get you better numbers and then some on the G20 M440i vs the F32 440i no?
Depends on what bmw did to the engine. I doubt they did much extra, considering they know how much power the drivetrain can handle on stock internals and turbo.

They could simply remap it for little to no cost instead of improving already existing parts, but we'll have to wait and see what the aftermarket experiences with this gen.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #27
M2PDX
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
I disagree with this, some people have "grille derangement syndrome" and are borderline delusional and think this will be doing like 8 minute Nring runs...I posted a poll and I think two F80 owners voted that they think a g80 will be slower than a F80.

There is definitely bias and fwiw, I also hate the grille but there is no damn way BMW will make cars perform worse generation to generation
I FULLY ADMIT that I have grille derangement syndrome, and I am proud of it!

The new grill is dreadful. But if you like it, it's all yours. The more of us with GDS who won't purchase that ugly mug, the MORE you'll be able to save a negotiate a better deal with desperate dealers!
Appreciate 9
stein_325i25051.00
paliknight2186.50
Germanauto9665.50
city1991228.00
OG///M1002.00
otay826.00
      10-30-2020, 02:43 PM   #28
The_E92_Fan
V8 Bait
Rep
Drives: your mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6306 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstein55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkNuts View Post
Dang. So quick, great dynamics. You can gripe about the aesthetics but it's an awesome package, and if this thing dropped out of the sky 10 years ago we would all be losing our minds at the performance. Great middle child between the four banger and full tilt M cars.
It did, it was called the 335i. It came out a little over 10 years ago and everyone did lose their minds on the performance... 2007 335i Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
What's better than outstanding? We hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds with the latest 3-series.
+1 I loved my 2011 335xi coupe! Great car. Spec'd in MSport in LeMans blue.(they changed to N55 (dual scroll single turbo that year so the Dinan stage1 helped with the slight turbo lag.)

Stills shows in My BMW Garage...I wonder who is the happy owner now
Same! I just ordered a new car, and I noticed my old '09 335 coupe, space grey (best color ever) is still hanging out there.

Last year they put the N54 in the thing.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eman6306 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Dang. So quick, great dynamics. You can gripe about the aesthetics but it's an awesome package, and if this thing dropped out of the sky 10 years ago we would all be losing our minds at the performance. Great middle child between the four banger and full tilt M cars.
It did, it was called the 335i. It came out a little over 10 years ago and everyone did lose their minds on the performance... 2007 335i Road Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car and Driver
What's better than outstanding? We hit 60 mph in 4.8 seconds with the latest 3-series.
+1 I loved my 2011 335xi coupe! Great car. Spec'd in MSport in LeMans blue.(they changed to N55 (dual scroll single turbo that year so the Dinan stage1 helped with the slight turbo lag.)

Stills shows in My BMW Garage...I wonder who is the happy owner now
Same! I just ordered a new car, and I noticed my old '09 335 coupe, space grey (best color ever) is still hanging out there.

N54 was last placed in the 2010 335i. The 335is ran from 2011-2013 and had the N54 as well. The z4 had the n54 until 2016. The 1m also had the N54 in 2011.
      10-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #29
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2PDX View Post
I FULLY ADMIT that I have grille derangement syndrome, and I am proud of it!

The new grill is dreadful. But if you like it, it's all yours. The more of us with GDS who won't purchase that ugly mug, the MORE you'll be able to save a negotiate a better deal with desperate dealers!
Truth....and I hate the grille and am eagerly waiting for the G87. I just am not emotionally invested enough to be have bias against the entire car.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 03:10 PM   #30
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whyte_Diamonds View Post
I seen car and driver reviewed the M440i xdrive at 3.8 0-60 also. It'll be interesting to see the M3/4 competition and M3/4 competition xdrives performance specs.
I posted this as the first thing in the official stickied post.

stage 1 flash tuned S58s in X3M SUVs bone stock with ethanol are running 3.0s 0-60s and that car is hundreds of pounds more than the G8x.

I feel like when we get driving reviews, the performance will not be disappointing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Stein, this car has been tested *a full second* quicker.

The point is that it's been very easily dismissed (almost universally on this site) due to the aesthetics, but it's a stellar performer.
The b58 matched with the zf8 has been out for a few years already. We all know that matchup makes for a great performer. Its not really anything new.

The whole 10 year example doesn't make sense when you can get the previous generation m440i for less, with better styling, and around the same capability when it comes to modifying.

Bmw isn't exactly giving us anything groundbreaking here.
You're right, the E92 N54 335i with just a COBB 'Accessport' flash, was way ahead of its time.. For what it was spitting out, it could of easily matched what any modern-day B58 motor pushes from the factory.

However, at least now, BMW is including the same exact electronic LSD from their higher-tier M models, in their standard, M Performance, '40i-line; which adds a sublime layer of traction and ultimate M-like handling.

Back in 2007, when the N54 was burning up in the streets and putting down better numbers than a E92 V8 M3, the rear diff ring gears was unfortunately welded shut, preventing any P&P modifications, so all that brute power on tap, was merely vaporized in tire smoke, from a pitiful, one-wheel-peel..

The M LSD in the standard BMW '40i models makes me wonder what's the point of M car now, other than bragging rights, - for whatever little that worth nowadays..

M340i has the identical e-LSD as the F-gen M2:

http://www.vacmotorsports.com/news/3...483338466.html
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
zamboni1124.50
EXE462097.00
Ikester192120.50
      10-30-2020, 03:47 PM   #31
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I seen car and driver reviewed the M440i xdrive at 3.8 0-60 also. It'll be interesting to see the M3/4 competition and M3/4 competition xdrives performance specs.

stage 1 flash tuned S58s in X3M SUVs bone stock with ethanol are running 3.0s 0-60s and that car is hundreds of pounds more than the G8x.

I feel like when we get driving reviews, the performance will not be disappointing.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

The point is that it's been very easily dismissed (almost universally on this site) due to the aesthetics, but it's a stellar performer.
The b58 matched with the zf8 has been out for a few years already. We all know that matchup makes for a great performer. Its not really anything new.

The whole 10 year example doesn't make sense when you can get the previous generation m440i for less, with better styling, and around the same capability when it comes to modifying.

You're right, the E92 N54 335i with just a Cobb OBD2 flash, was way ahead of times, for what it was spitting out and at that time, it could of easily matched what any modern-day B58 motor pushes from the factory.

However, at least now, BMW is included the same exact electronic LSD from their higher-tier M models, in their standard, M Performance, '40i-line; which adds a sublime layer of traction and ultimate M-like handling.

Back in 2007, when the N54 was burning up in the streets and putting down better numbers than a E92 V8 M3, the rear diff ring gears was unfortunately welded shut, preventing any P&P modifications, so all that brut power on tap, was merely vaporized in tire smoke, from a pitiful, one-wheel-peel..

The M LSD in the standard BMW '40i models makes me wonder what's the point of M car now, other than bragging rights, - for whatever little that worth nowadays..

I agree. I don't see much point in getting a true m car over the m-lites.

They have so much power and potential from the factory, that it's impossible for 99% of us to push it to its limits.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9099.00
      10-30-2020, 04:06 PM   #32
335xs2dinan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi, 22 G80 M3

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You're right, the E92 N54 335i with just a Cobb OBD2 flash, was way ahead of times, for what it was spitting out and at that time, it could of easily matched what any modern-day B58 motor pushes from the factory.

However, at least now, BMW is included the same exact electronic LSD from their higher-tier M models, in their standard, M Performance, '40i-line; which adds a sublime layer of traction and ultimate M-like handling.

Back in 2007, when the N54 was burning up in the streets and putting down better numbers than a E92 V8 M3, the rear diff ring gears was unfortunately welded shut, preventing any P&P modifications, so all that brut power on tap, was merely vaporized in tire smoke, from a pitiful, one-wheel-peel..

They have so much power and potential from the factory, that it's impossible for 99% of us to push it to its limits.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Resale value always better with true m car
      10-30-2020, 04:11 PM   #33
JamesGames
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E60 550i|F82 M4|F48 X1|VA STi

Quote:
We all know its a good performer, the M340i has been out for almost two years, that point has already been made.

My point was more towards your comment about a car like this being released 10-years ago, saying we would have lost our minds, my response was that indeed a car did come out like this ten years ago and we did all lose our minds, the original 335i. 4.8 seconds to 60 in 2006 was a huge deal, just like sub 4-second cars are now. The M440i has impressive numbers, but this is nothing new, BMW has been putting out impressive numbers for years, case in point, the 335i. Even today, the numbers are still impressive and ahead of the current 3/4 30i.
Spot on, I remember when the 335i was released, I thought to myself wow finally a turbo 6 that has similar output of the 2jzgte, had similar I-6TT format, and it just blew everything out of the water (power/acceleration wise). Nothing was close at that time to this car, it set the bar. It had replaced the prior generation NA 2.8 / 3.0 top of the line 6 cylinder motors, which were completely lethargic in comparison. I would go as far as saying that the 335i made much more of an impact than the new 440i.
Appreciate 5
stein_325i25051.00
Poochie9099.00
Frosty772.50
KRS_SN13104.50
      10-30-2020, 04:15 PM   #34
NewWorldOrder
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335xs2dinan View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Resale value always better with true m car
True, but I don't care much for that. I'm the type of person that likes to modify and keep a car over a decade

There's just a sense of pride that comes with a car that you've built and grown with imo.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 05:03 PM   #35
The_Werm
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 F82 6MT Nardo grey

Garage List
2019 M4  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
It's difficult to stay positive about this car...
Attached Images

Appreciate 13
stein_325i25051.00
KoenG1417.50
ASAP10054.00
eman45171694.50
Germanauto9665.50
Jockey3434.50
KRS_SN13104.50
6ixSpd5996.50
Cadillac358.50
otay826.00
      10-30-2020, 05:04 PM   #36
Avaley
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Werm View Post
I wouldn't expect anyone who owns the prior gen to be positive about the newer version...

this is also comparing a m440i to a M4, and while I prefer the F8x design, some would say F8x does look dated already
Appreciate 1
The_Werm212.00
      10-30-2020, 05:05 PM   #37
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Wow, this is the first shot I have seen of the two different generations together. Even with one being an M car and the other a standard line car, the overall designs couldn't be more dissimilar, almost as if they were designed by two separate companies.
KoenG1417.50
The_Werm212.00
      10-30-2020, 05:54 PM   #38
KoenG
Lieutenant Colonel
Belgium
Rep
Drives: i4 eDrive40 & Cupra Leon 300

Quote:
I wouldn't expect anyone who owns the prior gen to be positive about the newer version...
Why? I believe that most sales are realised by seducing previous owners into buying the new version. My experience is that usually car enthousast buyers are incredibly anxious to get into the newer version!
Appreciate 1
6ixSpd5996.50
      10-30-2020, 05:57 PM   #39
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Quote:

this is also comparing a m440i to a M4, and while I prefer the F8x design, some would say F8x does look dated already
It looks dated because you have seen it for many years. The question will be in a couple of years will the G series be seen as ugly, accepted or will it age horribly. Will it still look fresher than the f series?
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2020, 06:03 PM   #40
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:

In that same year, the replaced top trim, 330i with its NA 3.0L I6 went 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and ran the 1/4 mile in 14.4 at 98mph. The 335i presented a huge leap to 4.8 seconds to 60, and 13.5 seconds at 106mph in the 1/4 mile.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...y-the-numbers/

Meanwhile, Lexus seems to be more than a decade behind the times with their latest "high performance" sports sedan. N/A V6 producing 311 hp and producing numbers on par with that 2007 330i.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:06 PM   #41
stein_325i
Ring Leader of G8X Haters
No_Country
Rep
Drives: A Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post

Meanwhile, Lexus seems to be more than a decade behind the times with their latest "high performance" sports sedan. N/A V6 producing 311 hp and producing numbers on par with that 2007 330i.
Yep, the only reason the IS seems to exist is because its the gateway into the Lexus brand price-wise. Luckily for most Lexus customers, they couldn't give a damn about 0-60.

Its a shame too, because the IS chassis is not all that bad, same with the steering, and the reliability is of course fantastic, but the powertrain and transmission is a huge weakness and so is the infotainment.
Germanauto9665.50
      10-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #42
440xiGCMSport2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: EB440xiGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Boost View Post
Quote:

In that same year, the replaced top trim, 330i with its NA 3.0L I6 went 0-60 in 5.6 seconds and ran the 1/4 mile in 14.4 at 98mph. The 335i presented a huge leap to 4.8 seconds to 60, and 13.5 seconds at 106mph in the 1/4 mile.

Lexus has given up that part of the segment. They can't beat the Germans. I believe that they will just keep producing their SUV's and large luxury sedans to older guys who want a luxury ride with some Lexus status symbol and leave the performance sedans small and large to the Germans.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2020, 06:07 PM   #43
guarnibl
Major
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day.

Quote:
Quote:
Wow, this is the first shot I have seen of the two different generations together. Even with one being an M car and the other a standard line car, the overall designs couldn't be more dissimilar, almost as if they were designed by two separate companies.
This is exactly how I feel as well. I mean granted BMW has always been willing to radically switch designs from one generation to another as opposed to small evolutionary changes. I give them credit for that — it's risky.

To me though — the M340i felt extremely boring when I drove it, but I'll chalk it up to just not being their target customer anymore. It was not very enjoyable to drive, did not feel like a drivers car and was flat out not engaging. Maybe the 440i is better. If I only had the choice of that or the 330, I'd take the 330 and save the money. The X3M however was the opposite ( extremely fun to drive ) but it was $10k more as optioned. To me, that's money well spent and I think it's a good sign for the upcoming M3.
Germanauto9665.50
      10-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #44
Frosty
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M240i - 2021 - 6MT -

Quote:

..even with the fuel pump and piezo FI hiccups my 2007 E92 in Space Grey was a joy for all 200k miles I drove it.
Prelude (5MT) (1995)
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00