Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals The Long Awaited Daily | M340i

11-02-2020, 09:58 AM   #1
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '05 M3 6MT

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
The Long Awaited Daily | M340i

After just about 5 months, 2 production slots and a model year changeover, my 2021 M340i has FINALLY arrived!!

The car arrived at BMW of Warwick on 10/23; a day when it was 70 degrees and I was wearing shorts. You'll see why I bring this up shortly. Here are the photos I took that day, in all it's plastic glory (thanks to my CA for ensuring all plastic was left on/in the vehicle):

OK so now fast forward one week (to clarify, this is 7 days later) to 10/30. The plates/registration finally come in and I head off to the dealership to pick up the car. Mind you, in 35 degree/snow accumulating on the ground type of weather. We ended up getting like 4" of snow, BEFORE Halloween. Goddamn you, New England.

I arrive at the dealership and the car is waiting for me in one of the delivery bays:

Because one of my garage doors is currently blocked by a dumpster, as we are in the process of having our basement finished, I had to 30 point turn my E46 M3 over to the next stall (the blocked one) in order to pull in the M340i. I may or may not need a new clutch now, but at least both cars are in and protected from the elements until later this week (when temps are expected to creep back into the 60s for at least 6 or so straight days). I'll use this time to both dial in the M340i for winter (paint correction/wax/sealant/etc) and get the E46 M3 cleaned up and ready to be stored under her NOAH BMW car cover in the garage.

Once the dumpster is gone, the M340i will take my wife's garage spot (where you see the M3 currently sitting), as she so lovingly offered it up to me UNTIL we replace her '13 Jeep Grand Cherokee late next summer.

I got to peeling off the plastic, which was an incredibly satisfying feeling:

Once we (a buddy of mine has offered to help me out with the paint correction and getting the car ready for winter) start addressing the paint later this week, I do have some other fun stuff lined up for the car. Nothing major...but here are some sneak peeks as to what is in store for the car:

I'll either update this thread (and treat it as a sort of "build" thread...which is a term I sort of hate) once these items get installed, or create new ones for each item. We'll see.

Cheers!

'05 BMW M3 6MT (Weekend car)
Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 8
oz555671.00
hubbahubba8710.00
VipinLJ1936.50
themnmd1687.00
Gdiddy23905.50
Rev_Hi296.50
WWM3956.50
      11-02-2020, 10:10 AM   #2
oz555
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340i x-drive

Garage List
2021 BMW M340iX  [9.00]
Like it. Are those M seats?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 10:13 AM   #3
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz555 View Post
Like it. Are those M seats?
Thanks!

Nope, they're the standard Sport seats that come in the M340i.

Need to stock up on some detailing products or spiff up your garage, then use my Obsessed Garage link!
Appreciate 1
oz555671.00
      11-02-2020, 01:41 PM   #4
JDUNITNOW
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I, 750li, X5 G80

The car looks great and the red brake calipers are the perfect choice. Can't wait to see your posts of other mods.
04 BMW X5
11 BMW 335i convertible (sold, sellers market
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 01:52 PM   #5
-EndOfAnEra-
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by eforty6_m3 View Post
After just about 5 months, 2 production slots and a model year changeover, my 2021 M340i has FINALLY arrived!!
Congratulations, enjoy in good health! You reminded me just how badass Portimao looks, nice contrast with the red calipers! Looking forward to your comparisons between the E46 M3 and the G20 (next summer, lol)! Guessing the M3 is now your dedicated summer/weekend driver?
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 01:56 PM   #6
Merami fan
めらみぽっぷ fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive

Every car deserves an owner like you... I just did a walk-around, got in, and drove home. Mine is a lease, though. I would get PPF if I planned to keep it.

Congrats and keep us posted!
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1w...1L3y6cmPEyGSoI
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #7
Smiller155
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 430i

Garage List
2021 BMW 430i  [0.00]
Beautiful--love the color combo! Enjoy your new ride.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #8
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
nice! love the red calipers
Appreciate 1
      11-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #9
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyndi335I View Post
The car looks great and the red brake calipers are the perfect choice. Can't wait to see your posts of other mods.
Much appreciated! Hopefully those will be happening really soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -EndOfAnEra- View Post
Congratulations, enjoy in good health! You reminded me just how badass Portimao looks, nice contrast with the red calipers! Looking forward to your comparisons between the E46 M3 and the G20 (next summer, lol)! Guessing the M3 is now your dedicated summer/weekend driver?
My thoughts, exactly!

The M3 was already my dedicated summer/weekend car! The M340i replaces my 2018 Honda Accord Sport as the daily driver.

Thanks for the kind words, man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merami fan View Post
Every car deserves an owner like you... I just did a walk-around, got in, and drove home. Mine is a lease, though. I would get PPF if I planned to keep it.

Congrats and keep us posted!
Thank you! Mine is also a lease, but I envision buying out the lease and keeping this car long-term, assuming no major issues occur between and then. That's why I wanted to spec the car exactly how I wanted it, knowing I'd be keeping it for a while.

Probably going to skip the PPF for now and just ensure I keep it clean and protected as much as possible. Not a lot of highway driving since COVID started, as I'm working from home full-time. Even so, my commute to the office is about 5 minutes on the highway, anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiller155 View Post
Beautiful--love the color combo! Enjoy your new ride.
Thank you very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by themnmd View Post
nice! love the red calipers
Me, too! Thanks!

Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 12:29 PM   #10
ultamte
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E39 M5, E36 M3, F10 550iX

Garage List
Car looks great - and happy to see you had them keep the plastic on for you to remove.

Also, I flew my wife up to BMW of Warwick in early 2015 when we purchased our 2014 335i x-Drive 6-speed, to drive back to Northern VA. It was waiting for us in their showroom with a red bow on it, and huge snow mounds outside! We actually had to cancel her flight a week earlier b/c of all of the snow they got.

Great experience with that dealership. Good luck with you new G20 and home renos.

Chad aka ultamte.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2020, 12:42 PM   #11
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

got to love the process of unwrapping the new car
one of my favorite things

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 03:06 PM   #12
TTG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340

Garage List
Congratulations & I am so glad that I am not the only one who took delivery like that..... (and yes, it is a lease.....when you are crazy, you are crazy!)

Also our garages look pretty similar
Attached Images

2007 E92 335i -Space Gray.....ED Oct 19th, 2006 - Retired

Last edited by TTG; 11-05-2020 at 03:11 PM..
Appreciate 1
      11-05-2020, 09:21 PM   #13
Gdiddy23
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2015 BMW F30  [0.00]
Congrats! I have very similar spec and love it!

I got mine ceramic coated w about 600 miles on the clock. I wish I would have done both ceramic and PPF. I had an appt to get PPF added the other week but had to cancel as I couldn't be w out the vehicle for that week.

Now part of me doesn't want to spend the $ on the PPF since they'd have to remove some of the ceramic and then re apply after PPF is added and it's ultimately a leased vehicle. I tend to also get car ADD so I'm tempted to not spend that money on it and just wait.

However my OCD tells me I won't be happy until at least the front bumper and partial hood is covered as I hate ANY imperfections lol but it's a daily and is inevitably going to see some imperfections from daily driving it anyways. That's what I'm telling myself at least haha
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2020, 05:43 AM   #14
Ikester19
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: G20 M340ix; F30 328i msport

Garage List
2018 330i LCI  [0.00]
2020 G20 M340ix  [0.00]
Stunning spec, congrats!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2020, 06:37 PM   #15
///Medge
Private
Rep
Drives: Tbd

Does your car have ZTK?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 07:13 AM   #16
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultamte View Post
Car looks great - and happy to see you had them keep the plastic on for you to remove.

Also, I flew my wife up to BMW of Warwick in early 2015 when we purchased our 2014 335i x-Drive 6-speed, to drive back to Northern VA. It was waiting for us in their showroom with a red bow on it, and huge snow mounds outside! We actually had to cancel her flight a week earlier b/c of all of the snow they got.

Great experience with that dealership. Good luck with you new G20 and home renos.

Chad aka ultamte.
Same here...can't say enough good things about my experience with Luke at BMW of Warwick. If you're in the market, he's your guy!

Thank you for the kind words. Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
got to love the process of unwrapping the new car
one of my favorite things
It was a first for me and I enjoyed every single second of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTG View Post
Congratulations & I am so glad that I am not the only one who took delivery like that..... (and yes, it is a lease.....when you are crazy, you are crazy!)

Also our garages look pretty similar
Haha yep...mine is also a lease. But unless something drastically changes in the next 3 years, I intend to buy the car outright, so I wanted to be able to handle the car myself from beginning to end!

Yep...you have great taste, my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdiddy23 View Post
Congrats! I have very similar spec and love it!

I got mine ceramic coated w about 600 miles on the clock. I wish I would have done both ceramic and PPF. I had an appt to get PPF added the other week but had to cancel as I couldn't be w out the vehicle for that week.

Now part of me doesn't want to spend the $ on the PPF since they'd have to remove some of the ceramic and then re apply after PPF is added and it's ultimately a leased vehicle. I tend to also get car ADD so I'm tempted to not spend that money on it and just wait.

However my OCD tells me I won't be happy until at least the front bumper and partial hood is covered as I hate ANY imperfections lol but it's a daily and is inevitably going to see some imperfections from daily driving it anyways. That's what I'm telling myself at least haha
Thank you...that's awesome!

I considered PPF and still might do it eventually on the gloss black pillars and mirror caps to help with the inevitable scratches. But I don't do much highway driving (none right now as I'm working from home fulltime due to COVID) so I think I'll be OK.

Take care!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikester19 View Post
Stunning spec, congrats!
Thank you, sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medge View Post
Does your car have ZTK?
It does not.

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 01:23 PM   #17
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Dial In Time

With the help of a buddy, we spent the better part of Thursday and Friday getting the M340i dialed in for winter. I'll list out what products were used in case anyone is interested. Side note, if anyone does decide to purchase any products from Obsessed Garage, I'd kindly ask that you do so through my affiliate link (in my signature).

Thursday - Day 1

Prior to washing, I removed the stock lip spoiler using fishing line. I then used heat, 3M adhesive remover and my fingers to try and get rid of the remaining adhesive, but after some time (and a bunch of blisters), I gave up and decided I would get back to it after washing the vehicle.

Decontamination

Step 1: I started off the day by giving the car a quick rinse using my pressure washer setup. I then gave it a proper decontamination wash using the Obsessed Garage Decon Soap. Did this via the two bucket method, along with my MTM PF22.2 foam cannon.

Step 2: After rinsing the car off again, I covered the vehicle in Adam's Iron Remover. I let this sit on the car for about 4-5 minutes (do NOT let this dry on the paint), then rinsed the car off again.

Step 3: Prior to "claying" the paint, as the sun was starting to break through the clouds, I pulled the car into the garage. Next, I got my bottle of NanoSkin Glide, and went to town "claying" the paint, panel by panel, using both the AutoScrub pad and sponge (for the smaller/harder to reach areas), being sure to heavily lubricate each panel while doing so.

After the entire car was clayed, I pulled it back out of the garage and my buddy rinsed it off yet again.

I then pulled back into the garage and used my EGO 530 leaf blower to dry off the car and get it ready for polishing:

Paint Correction

My buddy and I both polished the vehicle, each basically doing 1/2 the car, straight down the middle. We each used Maxshine M15 Pro Series II 15mm Dual Action Polishers w/ 5" Rupes fine polishing pads, along with Sonax Perfect Finish. We also used my Adam's SK Micro DA Polisher w/ 1" Rupes fine polishing pads, as well as my buddies 3" Griots DA, when needed.

Getting back to the rear spoiler adhesive. We ran out to grab some Five Guys for lunch and before doing so, I picked this up at Advanced Auto Parts and even though I scoffed at the price ($44.99, I believe), it would up being worth EVERY penny.

This thing got the remaining adhesive off in minutes...cut through it like butter and left the paint with only minimal marring that the paint correction would address, anyway:

Applied more 3M double-sided tape on the AA Concepts M Performance style rear spoiler:

Prior to mounting, I wiped down the trunk with CarPro Eraser to ensure proper adhesion.

Here we are test fitting the spoiler:

And finally, tape removed and mounted:

Now, we moved onto the fun part. Applying one coat of Jescar Power Lock Plus Polymer Paint Sealant using the Adam's Wax/Sealant Hex Grip Applicator Pads. After letting the car cure for about 30 minutes, we wiped off using clean microfiber towels.

We then put the car up on ramps to make it easier to mount and drill the self-tapping screws for the AA Concepts front lip:

Here is where we called it a night and my buddy went home. However, I went back out later after my two boys went to bed and applied the first layer of Collinte 845, again using an Adam's Hex Grip Applicator pad. By the time I got the whole car covered, it was time to go and wipe off with clean mf towels. Doing it before bed allowed the first layer of 845 to fully cure overnight before we would apply the 2nd and final coat.

Exhausted and sore, it was now time for bed.

Friday - Day 2

I woke up Friday morning and the first thing I did was get the car off the ramps. I then installed my IND-Distribution painted side markers:

Next up, using Bead Maker and clean mf towels, I cleaned all the door jambs and trunk jambs, as well as all the painted areas under the hood.

I then prepped the tires for tire dressing using Stoner Tarminator and a wheel mf towel.

My buddy showed up again right after breakfast and together we applied the 2nd coat of Collinite 845, then wiped off.

After that, we got the interior and exterior glass dialed in using Stoner Invisible Glass. My buddy applied the CarPro Perl tire dressing with a RaceGlaze XL brush and we let that sit and soak in while we coated all the exterior glass with Adam's Polishes Glass Sealant. We used Adam's Glass Boost and the Stoner Invisible Glass to wipe the glass sealant off. We ended up going with 2 coats on just the windshield.

Once the windows were properly coated, I used a clean MF wheel towel to wipe off the excess Perl.

And once all that was done, I pulled the car out of the garage to check it out under the sun and man were we impressed with the results. Even though the car was brand new and I drove it home with 6 miles on the odometer, I was still shocked at the excellent condition of the paint from the factory. Hence the 1 step correction. That's truly all it needed. Here is the finished product:

Products used:
  • Obsessed Garage Decon Soap
  • MTM PF22.2 Foam Cannon
  • Adam's Polishes Iron Remover
  • NanoSkin Glide
  • NanoSkin AutoScrub pad
  • NanoSkin AutoScrub sponge
  • Rupes 5" Fine Polishing Pads
  • Rupes 1" Fine Polishing Pads
  • 3M Adhesive Eraser Wheel
  • CarPro Eraser
  • Sonax Perfect Finish
  • Jescar Power Lock
  • Adam's Wax/Sealant Hex Grip Applicator Pads
  • Collinite 845
  • P&S Bead Maker
  • Stoner Tarminator
  • Stoner Invisible Glass
  • CarPro Perl
  • RaceGlaze XL Brush

Appreciate 4
Rev_Hi296.50
VipinLJ1936.50
Gdiddy23905.50
      11-09-2020, 08:31 PM   #18
CCM11285
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '24 G82

Beautiful! Nice write up

The AA spoiler is killer, especially the side profile

Please keep updating 👍🏼
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #19
eforty6_m3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2005 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCM11285 View Post
Beautiful! Nice write up

The AA spoiler is killer, especially the side profile

Please keep updating 👍🏼
Thank you for the kind words!!

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 10:37 PM   #20
Atlanta ///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3 M40i

Wow! Well done! You are really good at both write ups and detailing. Super job 😎

As a side note a feel really lucky. My carbon black X3 M40i (which I absolutely love) is in service, waiting on parts...and I have a loaner car for at least a week, and it's almost literally identical to yours! Pretty ironic since I had been following the Portimao thread and now I "magically" have one in the garage.

The paint on these cars is gorgeous! Really sharp...to me it has some hints of purple in person, and wow it has so much life. You know you love cars when you want to detail your loaner car (which I did already clean up the interior since I'm going to have it for a while).

Enjoy it, can't wait to see what's next! 👍
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2020, 11:28 PM   #21
TheDudeMan
First Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 20' 330i & RX 350

Man, good job detailing. Car looks awesome.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2020, 08:10 PM   #22
TruthOne
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Man your car looks good. The red calipers with that Blue pops.
Appreciate 0