Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums AUSTRALIA Paint Chipping from Grille

12-10-2020, 04:29 AM   #1
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

Paint Chipping from Grille

Hi,

My G20 330i came with a Black Grille. When washing the car this evening I noticed that it looks like it's been hit by a number of rocks and the paint has chipped.

Now I look at it in more detail, it appears that paint is flaking off on its own, and it's nothing to do with rocks.

Underneath appears to be chrome. So what I am trying to establish is if the factory black grille is just a painted chrome one, or my dealer has done something weird and just painted a standard chrome grille and fitted it.

Has anyone else got the black grille and if so, does it look like it's just painted and/or have you had any signs of flaking/chips?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #2
NoSUV4Me
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G20 330i M Sport

Hi Wynnst0n Hmmm i have a black gloss grille and it is black through and through - just poked a tiny hole in the back to check 😬
How big are your flake offs?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 02:09 AM   #3
AustraliaG20
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2019 G20 330i. 2015 F15 M50D.

That's very weird!!! Got photos?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #4
achk
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW U11 iX1 Xdrive 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynnst0n View Post
Hi,

My G20 330i came with a Black Grille. When washing the car this evening I noticed that it looks like it's been hit by a number of rocks and the paint has chipped.

Now I look at it in more detail, it appears that paint is flaking off on its own, and it's nothing to do with rocks.

Underneath appears to be chrome. So what I am trying to establish is if the factory black grille is just a painted chrome one, or my dealer has done something weird and just painted a standard chrome grille and fitted it.

Has anyone else got the black grille and if so, does it look like it's just painted and/or have you had any signs of flaking/chips?
No sign of chipping or flaking here.

One way to tell if the grill is black ex factory is that they are always packaged with dark chrome exhaust tips for cars delivered in Australia.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2020, 05:34 AM   #5
Wynnst0n
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by achk View Post
No sign of chipping or flaking here.

One way to tell if the grill is black ex factory is that they are always packaged with dark chrome exhaust tips for cars delivered in Australia.
I've spoken with the dealer. I believe it's painted. They're going to replace it with a genuine black grill. I bought the car as an ex. BMW Head Office Car with less than 500km on it. I guess they must have painted it to match the wheels (they're genuine black ones).
Appreciate 0