Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK Cosmetic Repair Insurance through Dealership

02-15-2021, 12:31 PM   #1
Simon.James7
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i (due December 2020)

Cosmetic Repair Insurance through Dealership

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone signed up to BMW's cosmetic repair insurance? Ordering an individual colour on an M340i, I am pretty sure I will do so, knowing that the front end of my old M240i was quite prone to stone chips and other careless drivers... the cost quoted was £360 for 3yrs.

I was considering PPF on the front end, but this is a lot more expensive and doesn't guarantee to protect the paintwork anyway, so the cosmetic insurance makes logical sense to me. I just wondered if anyone else signed up for it and what your experience has been? And also whether it is value for money and the quality of repairs BMW do?

Thanks,

Simon
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 01:58 PM   #2
zorroone
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dravit Grey G21 M340d

[QUOTE=Simon.James7;27236614]Hi all,

I'm just wondering if anyone signed up to BMW's cosmetic repair insurance? Ordering an individual colour on an M340i, I am pretty sure I will do so, knowing that the front end of my old M240i was quite prone to stone chips and other careless drivers... the cost quoted was £360 for 3yrs.

I was considering PPF on the front end, but this is a lot more expensive and doesn't guarantee to protect the paintwork anyway, so the cosmetic insurance makes logical sense to me. I just wondered if anyone else signed up for it and what your experience has been? And also whether it is value for money and the quality of repairs BMW do?

I think a high quality PPF is the only thing that gives some protection against stone chips. I certainly hope so!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 03:24 PM   #3
Simon.James7
United Kingdom
Rep

[QUOTE=zorroone;27236981]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.James7 View Post
Hi all,

I think a high quality PPF is the only thing that gives some protection against stone chips. I certainly hope so!
Thanks zorroone. This is for the repair insurance, so not about outright protection if you buy the product. I've spoken to a few of my friends who have had PPF installed, on a variety of cars, and they've all said that whilst it makes a big difference it's not 100% and they've had a chip or two. So then I think I might as well go for a insurance package to get them filled in/covered up as and when, rather than spend £6-700+ on the PPF.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 04:08 PM   #4
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
[QUOTE=Simon.James7;27237337]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
Thanks zorroone. This is for the repair insurance, so not about outright protection if you buy the product. I've spoken to a few of my friends who have had PPF installed, on a variety of cars, and they've all said that whilst it makes a big difference it's not 100% and they've had a chip or two. So then I think I might as well go for a insurance package to get them filled in/covered up as and when, rather than spend £6-700+ on the PPF.
I did look at the dealer offered repair insurance package and also looked at on-line offers. In the end I didn’t go for it.

Slightly off topic but I have used this for a few small chips with great success.

https://chipex.co.uk/?_ga=2.22865858...524.1613426672

There are plenty of videos on YT.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 03:35 AM   #5
Froggie401
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport

I got the cosmetic repair for my new 330e and I'm really happy I did. I got the price reduced from the dealer when I also purchased GAP insurance as a package. So it cost me €320 for the cosmetic repair and €269 for the GAP.

I have already used the cosmetic repair insurance after I damaged my bonnet washing the car. It was a bad scratch down to the metal - the lance slipped...one of the rare times I have ever used a car wash. Never again. The mobile repair person could not fully repair the damage and so it went to a body shop for a full respray (arranged by my BMW dealer). The insurance paid €300 towards the cost of the respray, which was €625. MAPFRE the provider of the insurance were great to deal with.

I just got the car back and it's perfect but then someone most likely on a bicycle banged into the back. I have no luck and knew I would definitely need the cosmetic insurance! Three new scratches on the bumper and rear quarter panel. It's going to repaired this Friday.

The insurance is for 3 years with a maximum of 15 claims. The three new scratches count as 3 claims. I'll update after Friday, the same mobile repair man is fully confident that he can repair the damage this time. Repairing flat panels is far more difficult apparently.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
LineBacker
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F36 440i

[QUOTE=Tam the Bam;27237521]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon.James7 View Post

I did look at the dealer offered repair insurance package and also looked at on-line offers. In the end I didn’t go for it.

Slightly off topic but I have used this for a few small chips with great success.

https://chipex.co.uk/?_ga=2.22865858...524.1613426672

There are plenty of videos on YT.
+1

Take your time and you cannot go wrong.
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2021, 08:12 PM   #7
themnmd
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 X5MC

Garage List
Have not heard of anything like this in USA. Doesn't mean that it doesn't exist
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 06:13 AM   #8
Simon.James7
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froggie401 View Post
I got the cosmetic repair for my new 330e and I'm really happy I did. I got the price reduced from the dealer when I also purchased GAP insurance as a package. So it cost me €320 for the cosmetic repair and €269 for the GAP.

I have already used the cosmetic repair insurance after I damaged my bonnet washing the car. It was a bad scratch down to the metal - the lance slipped...one of the rare times I have ever used a car wash. Never again. The mobile repair person could not fully repair the damage and so it went to a body shop for a full respray (arranged by my BMW dealer). The insurance paid €300 towards the cost of the respray, which was €625. MAPFRE the provider of the insurance were great to deal with.

I just got the car back and it's perfect but then someone most likely on a bicycle banged into the back. I have no luck and knew I would definitely need the cosmetic insurance! Three new scratches on the bumper and rear quarter panel. It's going to repaired this Friday.

The insurance is for 3 years with a maximum of 15 claims. The three new scratches count as 3 claims. I'll update after Friday, the same mobile repair man is fully confident that he can repair the damage this time. Repairing flat panels is far more difficult apparently.
Thanks, that's interesting! I think it's also the other possible damage that might occur in the first 3yrs. Good for thought.

I worry about accurate colour matching due to the individual colour but probably not hugely noticeable perhaps, it does seem like Chips Away have San Marino Blue in their colour palette!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 07:22 AM   #9
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

Do these policies cover you for the dreaded supermarket door dings?
      02-17-2021, 08:10 AM   #10
Simon.James7
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
My assumption is it would be... Devil will be in the detail eh. I'll read up this, seems to be a fair bit of information from BMW, just interesting to hear of any personal accounts.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2021, 08:22 AM   #11
Froggie401
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willougs View Post
Yes, it's also called 'scratch and dent' insurance. There are specific dimensions that are acceptable for vertical panels, horizontal panels and bumpers listed in the schedule wording of the policy. See example:

Vertical surfaces are covered for:
• Chips (up to 15mm in diameter and 3mm in depth)
• Scratches (up to 300mm in length and 3mm in depth)
• Dents (up to 300mm in diameter and 3mm in depth)

I must say one of the best benefits is the 300 euro contribution to a body shop repair if the mobile/smart repair is not suitable/successful.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 04:15 AM   #12
Froggie401
Private
Rep

Just a quick update and some pics showing the damage, 3 separate areas of scratches and scuffs. The damage had to be painted and could not be polished out.

The scuff in the second photo is just below the rear light.

I'm very happy with the results, better than I was expecting. Repairs took around two hours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0