Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals Portimao Blue G20 330i MSport and Estoril Blue F30 340i MSport side-by-side

03-07-2019, 06:06 PM   #45
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by LemonOne View Post
So many butthurt F30 owners
G20 is just a better car. Period.
I cant say for the performance wise but look is subjective. Better for you but may not for others.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:11 PM   #46
kmuthappa
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 Sportwagon bm3-2, BMW X5

Test drive of G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomana View Post
Quote:
I cant say for the performance wise but look is subjective. Better for you but may not for others.
Got to drive the G20 a couple weeks ago, a White msport 330 model

I thought the tech was really cool, the wide angel front and rear cameras were amazing

Driving wise, the steering was a lot heavier than my 328 DHP car, however I prefer my lighter steering. I drove the hell out the car and it came back smelling like burnt plastic haha....

Overall cool car, lots of tech, however I still love my F31 station wagon, and think mine is even cooler since BMW is not bringing the wagons stateside

Last edited by kmuthappa; 03-12-2019 at 09:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
mose121271.50
DML967.50
      03-07-2019, 06:12 PM   #47
BM dnobagaV
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 528i

$58,000. Good joke there
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      03-07-2019, 06:16 PM   #48
AD18
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Azurite Black E92 335i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennuggets View Post
I would still take it for a test drive, I'm not an authority by any means, these are just impressions/opinions.
Yes for sure, definitely will! Cheers
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:21 PM   #49
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I'm an e90 fanboy all day... but if you honestly think the g20 is the better looking car you're either on some good shit, or you're just trying to start a debate. G20 is curvy in the worst way, it looks huge and the only "bmw" styling que is the kidney grill.

It lost the angel eyes, it lost its signature body line running through the door handles, it lost its signature bmw ass end. The car looks like a Lexus/infinity/Mercedes from the side and the rear looks like a Lexus.

And the most annoying part is it looks NOTHING like anything else in the line up which makes the brand look cheap as a whole. It looks like they had a bmw designer work on the 1/2/5/6/7 and then had some outside hire do the g20 without ever seeing what the 1/2/5/6/7 look like. Just an oddball.
- Angel eyes came in the late 90s. Things come and go. They are starting to look a bit old-fashioned.
- The body line transformed from a single line to two offset lines. I do agree the single line looks good and is a BMW signature. However, other BMWs have gotten rid of the line through the door handles. We'll see how it works out.
- The side profile still strongly looks like a 3 series. Most pro reviewers' first impressions say this car looks like a 3 series and is an evolutionary design.
- It actually looks very similar to the G30 5 series. The G30 kinda bridges the tail light design between the F30 and G20 which makes sense for the release date.

While it's easy to pick on the G20 for looking like a Lexus, in person I really don't think it evokes anything but BMW. Pictures have a tendency to make you focus on single elements of the car like just the tail lights or the big grilles. In person, the car looks much more cohesive.

These sound exactly like the arguments when the E90 came out. The E90 removed the plastic moulding strip on the side. The E90 got a mini Bangle Butt. The E90 got rid of the signature BMW tail lights. It got a bulbous curvy design. But everyone got used to it, didn't they?

It wouldn't be a new 3 series without a bunch of people complaining about how the new 3 series design has RUINED the 3 series. Taste is also subjective. If you don't like it, I can accept that. However, most people who "hate" it now will eventually warm to the design, history has shown. And it's a pretty bold thing to accuse someone of being high or argumentative just because they think the G20 looks OK.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2019, 06:29 PM   #50
StBlGT
Rep
Drives: Pontiac G8 GT

F30 looks better on the exterior. I am in the market for a 3 series soon, and i think i may look for a 17 or 18. The interior of the G20 is nice, and of course has better tech...but who really needs all this new tech anyways? The reason i dislike the exterior of the G20 is:

-grille is too big
-entire rear end
-large holes around the door handles
-length of car (getting too long)

Even if it does handle and drive slightly better than the F30; i do not think it is enough for me to go buy one.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 06:39 PM   #51
Eddien123
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
I'm an e90 fanboy all day... but if you honestly think the g20 is the better looking car you're either on some good shit, or you're just trying to start a debate. G20 is curvy in the worst way, it looks huge and the only "bmw" styling que is the kidney grill.

It lost the angel eyes, it lost its signature body line running through the door handles, it lost its signature bmw ass end. The car looks like a Lexus/infinity/Mercedes from the side and the rear looks like a Lexus.

And the most annoying part is it looks NOTHING like anything else in the line up which makes the brand look cheap as a whole. It looks like they had a bmw designer work on the 1/2/5/6/7 and then had some outside hire do the g20 without ever seeing what the 1/2/5/6/7 look like. Just an oddball.
- Angel eyes came in the late 90s. Things come and go. They are starting to look a bit old-fashioned.
- The body line transformed from a single line to two offset lines. I do agree the single line looks good and is a BMW signature. However, other BMWs have gotten rid of the line through the door handles. We'll see how it works out.
- The side profile still strongly looks like a 3 series. Most pro reviewers' first impressions say this car looks like a 3 series and is an evolutionary design.
- It actually looks very similar to the G30 5 series. The G30 kinda bridges the tail light design between the F30 and G20 which makes sense for the release date.

While it's easy to pick on the G20 for looking like a Lexus, in person I really don't think it evokes anything but BMW. Pictures have a tendency to make you focus on single elements of the car like just the tail lights or the big grilles. In person, the car looks much more cohesive.

These sound exactly like the arguments when the E90 came out. The E90 removed the plastic moulding strip on the side. The E90 got a mini Bangle Butt. The E90 got rid of the signature BMW tail lights. It got a bulbous curvy design. But everyone got used to it, didn't they?

It wouldn't be a new 3 series without a bunch of people complaining about how the new 3 series design has RUINED the 3 series. Taste is also subjective. If you don't like it, I can accept that. However, most people who "hate" it now will eventually warm to the design, history has shown. And it's a pretty bold thing to accuse someone of being high or argumentative just because they think the G20 looks OK.
All good points and trust me, going from something like an E39 to seeing an E60 for the first time... yikes. But the thing is, the bangle era was something we've never seen before. The g20 looks like so many other cars and I'm sorry I really do have to disagree. That side profile is far from bmw. I'm not against change but I've seen some amazing renders of what the g20 could've/should've looked like and I loved them. The new 7er is a car I love, the new 5er I think looks amazing (despite the f10 being a hard car to follow design wise). My point is I'm not hating just cause it's new. I love getting excited about new bmws but the g20 is just a total flop for me.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2019, 07:04 PM   #52
IB M
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 MG/SO ZCP DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [8.50]
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
That fake front grill - aftermarket please deliver an alternative.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:32 PM   #53
Pyrat 2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Rapidly from A to B

Garage List
That grill. I'm speechless. Not sure what check and balance process there is in the design department. If there was a review then it surely happened on a Monday morning or a Friday afternoon after lunch and drinks.
      03-07-2019, 07:34 PM   #54
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
One common observation: Portimao Blue is one of nicest shades of blue.
Until you see it in real life. I saw it recently and it was entirely too purple and feminine for my tastes. I love me some Techno Violet or Daytona Violet BMWs, but this new color doesn't know if it wants to be blue or girly purple. Hard pass for me. So many other BMW blues as well that blow this one out of the water.
      03-07-2019, 07:43 PM   #55
StBlGT
Rep
Drives: Pontiac G8 GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP911 View Post
Until you see it in real life. I saw it recently and it was entirely too purple and feminine for my tastes. I love me some Techno Violet or Daytona Violet BMWs, but this new color doesn't know if it wants to be blue or girly purple. Hard pass for me. So many other BMW blues as well that blow this one out of the water.
I agree 100%. I dislike the blue/purple colors, too.

I think BMW went down the wrong path. Design-wise and promotion-wise...they are just missing the mark IMO.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #56
Axman85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i x-Drive M-Sport Min. Grey

F30 Front Looks better by far. Looks more aggressive.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 07:50 PM   #57
mose121
Humanist
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 ZCP/F31 330i M Sport

This is the new norm unfortunately. The level of influence consolidated by the top level employees that BMW has hired away from mostly Japanese brands is clear as day. Every new generation gets bloated to the point where it's almost the size of the next model ups prior generation. Now the new 3 is the size of a 5 series. The new X3 feels like you're driving an e70 sized vehicle. Not in terms of driving dynamics, but in terms of size. I've owned every generation of the 3 series post e30, various ///M and non-///M models, and also spent a good portion of my career working for BMW. My e36 M3 track car was raw and visceral, amazing driving experience, and I loved it. Also loved my 165,000 mile 318ti Clubsport, slower than a dog but a blast to just hammer around the twisty stuff, also very functional utility wise. My e92 M3 ZCP had an amazing engine and diff, but the only thing I miss about it is hammering it into third on the highway and ripping it up to 8,400 RPM's until 5th gear. Other than that, I don't miss it. Best one I've owned is my F80 ZCP. The interior finally caught up to the rest of the car, it's very useable as a daily driver with a kid in the back and large stroller in the trunk, and there's not much that can keep up with me at the local track. Recently we took delivery of a fully loaded up completely ///M Performanced out F31 wagon. A significant step down from an F80 chassis no doubt, but still an extremely capable and fun chassis to drive. A few basic suspension mods and a DME tune will make it one very entertaining car to drive. And it won't feel like I'm driving a 5er down the road.

Recently spent a long weekend in a brand new 540 xDrive M-sport. Drove it from Pittsburgh to Philly and back. Very impressive car all around and it handled some of the worst rain/sleet conditions possible the entire way home on the turnpike. Never skipped a beat, very confidence inspiring in those conditions and otherwise, super comfy, lots of storage, good power and performance, all that. I actually liked it far more than I expected, but it's still not the same as driving a smaller 3er. Even if I didn't need or want the utility of a wagon, I'd still choose my 330i over a 540i 99% of the time. So if the G20 3er is anywhere near the size of an E60/F10, that's a big negative in my book.
      03-07-2019, 08:01 PM   #58
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Originally Posted by StBlGT View Post
F30 looks better on the exterior. I am in the market for a 3 series soon, and i think i may look for a 17 or 18. The interior of the G20 is nice, and of course has better tech...but who really needs all this new tech anyways? The reason i dislike the exterior of the G20 is:

-grille is too big
-entire rear end
-large holes around the door handles
-length of car (getting too long)

Even if it does handle and drive slightly better than the F30; i do not think it is enough for me to go buy one.
Pretty solid reasons...
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:08 PM   #59
CP911
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M240i 6-speed Coupe

I will add a few other thoughts after seeing it in person. The size and proportion of the grille, although a bit "cartoonish" at first when seeing it in pictures, actually looks pretty good. What does not look good, however, is the shiny black plastic in between the vertical slats. Makes it look cheap and like a toy. BMW shouldn't have bothered with the active grille...just not worth the negative aesthetic effect.

Also, the tail lights are a bit underwhelming. Despite what others keep saying, they are definitely a distinct BMW L shaped design, but they are too thin and boring to look at. Just no road presence at all. The 3D effect goes unnoticed, as does the smoke gray section above the red "L." I felt the same way when I saw the new X4 in person for the first time. Just boring and nothing there to appreciate. I really hope for LCI (on both 3-er and X4), they utilize the space occupied by the smoke gray lens to add a little more character to the red lamps. Look at the 4-series LCI tail lights and then look at the G20's. I know which I'd rather have on my BMW.

The ONLY Lexus-like design feature is the upwards swooping character line on the lower rear passenger doors. The Lexus IS comes to mind immediately. Sure, it's not in the exact same location as the Lexus', but it still comes off as a stolen design feature whether people want to admit it or not. It can be overlooked, however, if they get the tail light design correct on the LCI.

Overall, I don't know what to think about it. I don't love it, but I don't hate it. I guess if I was buying a larger sedan and needed it to perform like a superstar on the track, I'd settle for one, but otherwise, I'd have a hard time parting with this kind of money for something I have mixed feelings over.
      03-07-2019, 08:11 PM   #60
gemini.m3
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 xDrive comp

Quote:
why butthurt? what stops someone who likes the car to just go and lease a new one? you can have a preference without being butthurt. its not like this 3 series suddenly became unavailable to everyone that owns an f30 because the pricing is out of reach. The car is just meh. I have hopes for the G80 or the LCI model, but do prefer the styling of the f30 w/ m sport.. most of the comparisons I've seen is a g20 m sport vs a base f30.. course that will look better. This is a proper comparison and outside of the tech and the fact the car is "newer" my preference would be the styling on the f30.
2015 335i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:28 PM   #61
LeMans E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans E90

Geez, the F30 looks SO dated here.
hans007604.50
joca107.50
      03-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #62
LeMans E90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Le Mans E90

Also, cant wait to see Portimao vs San Marino and Marina Bay.
      03-07-2019, 08:32 PM   #63
JS919
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 CS  [0.00]
When the F30 came out I hated it. I still don't like the front end. I liked the G20 MSport the first time I saw it. To me the G20 is a way better looking car. I currently own a F80 M3, and have owned a couple F30s. So I have no biased towards the G20, I just like the way it looks.
Appreciate 1
joca107.50
      03-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #64
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Currently owning an E90, and leasing a F36, I'm going to say that the G20 is definitely a better car all around than the F3X and sitting in the G20 for an extended period of time reminds me of the E90 because of the layout of the interior. I was highly skeptical of the G20 until it landed in showrooms. Everything that I disliked about the F3X was corrected on the G20.

Exterior:

1. The headlight connecting to the grille looks a lot better how it was on the F3X.
2. M-Sport front aero looks more complete, the lower bumper doesn't recess up wards like it did on the F3X.
3. Hood extends fully to the grille.

Interior:

1. A lot more solid - especially the dash, will not creak when pressed.
2. Removed a lot of bezels and unnecessary plastics around buttons (ex. HVAC controls).
3. iDrive screen, while ok on the F3X, better integrated in the G20.
4. Metallic finishes on buttons, knobs on those that would be touched or used often.
5. Door lock/unlock placed on driver door where they should be.
6. Vernasca leather feels and looks more premium and durable than Dakota leather.

These are highly subjective opinions but have me thinking of putting in an order for a M340i.
Appreciate 1
joca107.50
      03-07-2019, 08:40 PM   #65
Igor_M5
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many, BMW.

Garage List
I don't think theres more than a handful of BMW purists who actually LOVE the G20. The G20 has a LONG way to go before we (the purists) can glance at it without reflecting negative feelings first.

The radical change is clearly being reflected through the E9x era.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2019, 08:51 PM   #66
Cub3F82
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman85 View Post
F30 Front Looks better by far. Looks more aggressive.
The taillights look better on the G20, The front F30 100%
Appreciate 0