Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Doug Demuro reviews 2019 330i G20

02-26-2019, 01:07 PM   #23
Staszek
Schumacher
Rep
Drives: E30 325is,E93 M3,X7M50,F06 M6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
What exactly are they waking up to? I'm pretty sure they're 'woke' since you know, the manual doesn't sell.

It's crazy how many people on these forums have absolutely zero business sense even though they've somehow managed to afford a BMW.
Completely agree here!

We vote with our wallets, and not enough people bought manuals for it to be worth the cost of them developing them.

If there was a 20-30% uptake in Manual purchases they would still make them.
      02-26-2019, 01:10 PM   #24
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Completely agree here!

We vote with our wallets, and not enough people bought manuals for it to be worth the cost of them developing them.

If there was a 20-30% uptake in Manual purchases they would still make them.
Absolutely. I think there was a report on the take rate for DCT vs Manual. 80% + DCT and like less than 20% manual. I don't think we'll see another manual M3/M4 after the G8x. The M2 has a chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #25
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

the steering is a major improvement on the g20 and the handling feels so much better as well. my only complaint is the pedal feel in sport mode. it seems as if it doesn't change at all and you really have to get on it before you feel the extra torque. actually thinking about it, i don't remember the steering being any different in sport either. about to take our msport out again to see.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
TripleU167.50
      02-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #26
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
The G20 isn't anything like the poorly thought out F30. Significant improvement over the former generation. Then again, anything really was a step up over the previous generation. The F30 was THAT generation in the 3 series lineup. I love my S5, but Audi doesn't really seem to have the features that MB and BMW have, such as adaptive headlights or brake drying. Not sure if it is a cost cutting measure but it's annoying. I also hate the understeer. Still the best DD I've owned.
Ok, I'm not reading anything you're writing anymore. S5 is a VAG garbage and to say F30 is "that" car compared to S5 you lost credibility or only drove a stripper champagne beige 320 pre-LCI

Quote:
You'd be correct if BMW was the ONLY manufacturer killing the manual.They're not. Others killed it off way before BMW ever did.

Same applies for wagons. Only Mercedes and Volvo in sell wagons in the premium market. I don't think the E wagon will be back next gen.
Second sentence is contradicting your first one.
Which is it? It's okay for BMW to kill 6MT because they were last. Or it's okay not to bring wagons because only MB and Volvo sell wagons?
Massaging to make your point.
Appreciate 1
      02-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #27
ecaedus
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Model 3 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Magnitude View Post
Also his turo cars as well. He would rip those cars to pieces if they were truly bad.
Yep i appreciate that cause he's got no fears of pissing anyone off, but he can't do that with these flashy dealer loaners otherwise they'll get sour and won't work him anymore, that's my guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sed335i View Post
You know the great thing about YouTube? Nobody forces you to watch anything. If you aren't a fan of Doug's, there's an extremely simple solution: stop watching!
i am a fan that why i watch and bitch about it at the same time, i want it to get better. i don't get this line of thinking at all, even if you are not a fan, you can still talk trash about it no?
Appreciate 1
DML967.50
      02-26-2019, 01:17 PM   #28
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Ok, I'm not reading anything you're writing anymore. S5 is a VAG garbage and to say F30 is "that" car compared to S5 you lost credibility or only drove a stripper champagne beige 320 pre-LCI

Which is it? It's okay for BMW to kill 6MT because they were last. Or it's okay not to bring wagons because only MB and Volvo sell wagons?

You're entitled to your opinion. The B9 S5 was head and shoulders ahead of the F3x gen.

The point I was making was that manuals and wagons are a dying(dead?) breed. People have gravitated towards SUV's. 44% of total BMW sales last year were SUV's in the USA. Let that sink it.
Quote:
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 02-27-2019 at 12:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #29
silverado
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Quote:
I love the part when he says, "no more manual....pause pause pause...but there's still a lot to love there" hahaha. Come on BMW, wake the f up, bring back 6mt
What exactly are they waking up to? I'm pretty sure they're 'woke' since you know, the manual doesn't sell.

It's crazy how many people on these forums have absolutely zero business sense even though they've somehow managed to afford a BMW.
      02-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #30
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion. The B9 S5 was head and shoulders ahead of the F3x gen.

The point I was making was that manuals and wagons are a dying(dead?) breed. People have gravitated towards SUV's. 44% of total BMW sales last year was SUV's in the USA. Let that sink it.
Please read M3 forum, There will be G80 Manual Transmission M3 Pure
When time comes for me to change I'll have to step up to M3 6MT Pure unless BMW wakes up and makes G20 6MT 340
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:24 PM   #31
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
When time comes for me to change I'll have to step up to M3 6MT Pure unless BMW wakes up and makes G20 6MT 340
Please read what I wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax
Absolutely. I think there was a report on the take rate for DCT vs Manual. 80% + DCT and like less than 20% manual. I don't think we'll see another manual M3/M4 after the G8x. The M2 has a chance.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #32
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Please read what I wrote.
Sorry I missed "after"
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:26 PM   #33
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Quote:

The point I was making was that manuals and wagons are a dying(dead?) breed. People have gravitated towards SUV's. 44% of total BMW sales last year was SUV's in the USA. Let that sink it.
Audi is rumored to be bringing the RS6 back to the US and discussing adding the regular A6 Avant and RS4 too. Volvo's got two wagons, with butch versions of each.

As for advanced lighting, in terms of corner lighting and adaptability, Audi (and even my GTI with LED's) has BMW beat, add in the EU features through coding and they're superb.

As for manuals, it's not exactly news that they're largely going away. Outside of the 718, 911, MX5 and Wrangler, I bet in five years there won't really be any significant options. Doesn't mean BMW isn't losing sales because of dropping them now though. To be fair, probably not enough to offset the cost of certifying it, but an auto only Z4 is just dumb (not that a folding hardtop one wasn't equally dumb.)
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:30 PM   #34
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Audi is rumored to be bringing the RS6 back to the US and discussing adding the regular A6 Avant and RS4 too. Volvo's got two wagons, with butch versions of each.

As for advanced lighting, in terms of corner lighting and adaptability, Audi (and even my GTI with LED's) has BMW beat, add in the EU features through coding and they're superb.

As for manuals, it's not exactly news that they're largely going away. Outside of the 718, 911, MX5 and Wrangler, I bet in five years there won't really be any significant options. Doesn't mean BMW isn't losing sales because of dropping them now though. To be fair, probably not enough to offset the cost of certifying it, but an auto only Z4 is just dumb.
That's exciting. I'd love to see an RS6 Avant in the States. My S5 headlights are stationary and while the beam pattern is very wide, they don't angle around turns. I wish, at least the US they would offer adaptive lights until they figure out the Matrix LED situation. I believe it's been approved, no?

The cost of developing a manual just isn't worth it anymore. We're in agreement that it sucks and it's stupid that no manual option is offered for the 'Ultimate Driving Machine'. Also understand that it's stupid for BMW to offer a manual transmission for something like five percent of the population.
Quote:
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 02-26-2019 at 01:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
Red Bread4462.00
      02-26-2019, 01:34 PM   #35
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
There's nothing to wake up to. Going down the same road. You are around five percent of the population. BMW does not cater to five percent of the population. If they did, they would be out of business right now and BMW would cease to exist. They cater to the majority of the population because they need to make money. This isn't really hard to understand. 2+2=4. If the M3 take rate goes down with the G8x, you can bet it's not coming back. The only reason the manual transmission is still alive in M cars was only because the take rate was high, especially in the M2.
Quote:
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:37 PM   #36
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Review aside, I liked how the car look from this camera angle ... it looked cool really
Appreciate 2
Germanauto9665.50
Powaup1252.00
      02-26-2019, 01:48 PM   #37
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

No surprise here, exactly the review I expected. Abundance of tech with not much else, bland vanilla for the masses.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #38
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

As for manuals, it's not exactly news that they're largely going away. Outside of the 718, 911, MX5 and Wrangler, I bet in five years there won't really be any significant options. Doesn't mean BMW isn't losing sales because of dropping them now though. To be fair, probably not enough to offset the cost of certifying it, but an auto only Z4 is just dumb.
That's exciting. I'd love to see an RS6 Avant in the States. My S5 headlights are stationary and while the beam pattern is very wide, they don't angle around turns. I wish, at least the US they would offer adaptive lights until they figure out the Matrix LED situation. I believe it's been approved, no?

The cost of developing a manual just isn't worth it anymore. We're in agreement that it sucks and it's stupid that no manual option is offered for the 'Ultimate Driving Machine'. Also understand that it's stupid for BMW to offer a manual transmission for something like five percent of the population.
Just to continue to derail based on Audi lights, I assume you're talking the first S5? The current one certainly steers into turns. At least the RS5 SB I test drove did and both my GTI and our Q5 do.

In a somewhat strange programming mode, they do when set to Auto, but do not when turned to On. Not sure what the logic there is.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 01:55 PM   #39
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

I wish they kept the oil temp gauge instead of switching to coolant temp...
      02-26-2019, 02:01 PM   #40
KTN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Yeah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjdnyy224 View Post
I wish they kept the oil temp gauge instead of switching to coolant temp...
Oil temp is on the sports displays now. (boost, oil temp, power, torque, G meter)
Appreciate 2
rjd_F301997.00
Powaup1252.00
      02-26-2019, 02:02 PM   #41
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just to continue to derail based on Audi lights, I assume you're talking the first S5? The current one certainly steers into turns. At least the RS5 SB I test drove did and both my GTI and our Q5 do.

In a somewhat strange programming mode, they do when set to Auto, but do not when turned to On. Not sure what the logic there is.
No. They have a cornering lamp that turns on, but the B9 S5/RS5 don't have adaptive LED headlights. It's not even an option, even for the Prestige model.

The new A8, A7, and A6 also don't come with adaptive LED headlights that steer into turns. They come with Matrix LED headlights as an option, but they don't do anything here in the states other than go high beam and low beam automatically when they sense light. The current generation Q5 doesn't have it either. They will automatically level, but they will not go right or left. You'll see an LED cornering light turn on, though.
Quote:
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 02-26-2019 at 02:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:08 PM   #42
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
There's nothing to wake up to. Going down the same road. You are around five percent of the population. BMW does not cater to five percent of the population. If they did, they would be out of business right now and BMW would cease to exist. They cater to the majority of the population because they need to make money. This isn't really hard to understand. 2+2=4. If the M3 take rate goes down with the G8x, you can bet it's not coming back. The only reason the manual transmission is still alive in M cars was only because the take rate was high, especially in the M2.
You're starting to sound like a Transmission Racist.
Minority Majority. Tell that to Softsheen Carson that makes Dark and Lovely hair dye for African American women.
I vote to make 6MT Drivers a protected class so manufacturers have to produce products just for us. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:20 PM   #43
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

No. They have a cornering lamp that turns on, but the B9 S5/RS5 don't have adaptive LED headlights. It's not even an option, even for the Prestige model.

The new A8, A7, and A6 also don't come with adaptive LED headlights that steer into turns. They come with Matrix LED headlights as an option, but they don't do anything here in the states other than go high beam and low beam automatically when they sense light. The current generation Q5 doesn't have it either. They will automatically level, but they will not go right or left. You'll see an LED cornering light turn on, though.
Weird. I can confirm that my GTI does, and they're adjustable too.

I'd have sworn that our Q5 did too, but I rarely drive that thing, especially at night.

But this sort of silly logic does reek of VAG.

I do know that it's an additional cost option on Porsches, LED's are one price, and steering LED's are an additional cost.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:35 PM   #44
Germanauto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alfa Romeo Giulia, Rosso

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecaedus View Post
i'm starting to not like his reviews on these new cars. he's not being critical of them anymore, the dealership calls him up, says they've got a smoking new product and he should check it out, and then he comes in and does his over the top glorified sales person pitch and then moves on. he's reviews on older cars from private parties are much better.
I started becoming suspicious when he posted a glowing review of the new Acura NSX, a car that is by all accounts a major disappointment. Forget about the price, the car's performance credentials (or lack thereof) have been panned universally by the press.

I have been following his channel since the beginning, before it blew up. And that's when I really felt he sold himself out because it was pure BS.
Appreciate 0