Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Got my 330i M Sport yesterday

03-01-2019, 06:48 PM   #23
phillyd2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by howiegu View Post
I picked this wanting to match all black interior without actually seeing it...it turned out nice in color and touch.
I too am looking to match the black so Thank you for posting. Is it all black in real life?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 06:49 PM   #24
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 530i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
After 2 extensions of my 16's 340 lease since last Sept. Had my 19's 330 delivered yesterday....4 vs. 6...see how it goes.

One thing very noticeable: the Dynamic Safety with active intervention really surprised me driving it home - vibrating steering wheel with auto correction
Not the best
Again
Inside
Like these gauges much better. Suit the car great!

Congrats and enjoy.

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2019, 07:01 PM   #25
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Quote:
After 2 extensions of my 16's 340 lease since last Sept. Had my 19's 330 delivered yesterday....4 vs. 6...see how it goes.

One thing very noticeable: the Dynamic Safety with active intervention really surprised me driving it home - vibrating steering wheel with auto correction
Looks good! Congrats, gotta be one of the first owners on the boards
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 12:25 AM   #26
Drj161
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw x5 e53

I love the semi digi analog display. But sucks that you can't have Navi with this display. A lot of people don't like the ring bezels but I really do.
Appreciate 1
Jbrock22221.50
      03-02-2019, 02:50 AM   #27
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drj161 View Post
I love the semi digi analog display. But sucks that you can't have Navi with this display. A lot of people don't like the ring bezels but I really do.
Are you sure you can't get navi with smaller iDrive screen?

In Europe navigation is available with iDrive 6 as Live Cockpit Plus option that costs around €1,200. iDrive 6 comes with analog instrument layout.

Only Live Cockpit Professional upgrades you to iDrive 7 which comes with 10 inch infotaiment screen, and 8 inch digital instrument layout.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 03:22 AM   #28
Calamari
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2024 G21 330d, 2008 E87 118i

Congratulations on your new ride. Mineral grey looks good with M sport. I like the open pore oak trim and analog instrument cluster. It looks better than digital one to me.

Did you get the chance to drive at night. How do you like these adaptive LEDs. Are they powerful enough in terms of throw and brightness. I'm mostly curious if they have enough throw to drive safely on EU highway speeds.( 130kmh and above.)
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #29
openwheelracing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 5 different 3 Series

Sorry, but that analogue cluster ..looks so wrong with fake hands. Still better choice than the full digital dash with rev gauge on the oppposite.

I like the taillight despite all the Lexus comparisons. I think it is distinctive BMW L shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 02:49 PM   #30
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
No match for my 34 miles "spirited" driving home...I have to work it rather than my 340 coming naturally to give the punch...but I need a Bimmer and can't wait till end of this year...
Thank you for being honest.

Also what are all those empty grey plastic squares around the joystick? Extra options?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2019, 04:38 PM   #31
Aspen78
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ‘19 330i xDrive MSpo

Congrats, I also ordered the open pored trim. I wanted less silver and more black. Thanks for posting...now I’m not worried that ordered the wrong trim.

My Order
330 xdrive in Portimao Blue, all season black rims
Oak open pores trim
Black sentec
M-pack
Live cockpit Pro
Heated front seats

5 more weeks for me!
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      03-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #32
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Quote:
No match for my 34 miles "spirited" driving home...I have to work it rather than my 340 coming naturally to give the punch...but I need a Bimmer and can't wait till end of this year...
Thank you for being honest.

Also what are all those empty grey plastic squares around the joystick? Extra options?
For what I can see, he is missing the navigation and 360 view cameras. Pic from center console on fully loaded G20, see detail below.

Since this console is also shared with the new X5, this automatically creates 'blank' spaces for switch gear and functions not available in the G20. Below detail of G05 X5 with switches for hill ascend/descend controls to illustrate my point:
Attached Images

Before: 2011 BMW 328i E90 sedan, Platinum Bronze Metallic, Dakota Brown leather, 17 inch wheels, 6-speed auto, N52 6 Cyl inline N/A goodness....
Appreciate 1
xraymd306.50
      03-02-2019, 10:12 PM   #33
Sherweeeny
yep
Australia
Rep
Drives: 340i

congrats dude, that non gloss woodgrain looks pretty decent!
Appreciate 1
Vervain396.50
      03-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #34
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 530iDriver View Post
For what I can see, he is missing the navigation and 360 view cameras. Pic from center console on fully loaded G20, see detail below.

Since this console is also shared with the new X5, this automatically creates 'blank' spaces for switch gear and functions not available in the G20. Below detail of G05 X5 with switches for hill ascend/descend controls to illustrate my point:
So they will all have those blank 1999 Corolla covers instead of buttons because the console is shared with an SUV and its specific SUV off road options?
Wow, good job BMW at cutting corners.
I can't imagine Lexus would use the same console in IS and LX570, haha
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #35
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

So they will all have those blank 1999 Corolla covers instead of buttons because the console is shared with an SUV and its specific SUV off road options?
Quote:
Quote:

Nothing new here that hasn't been done before. Consolidation and component sharing across car platforms is something the industry has even engaged in for years and that includes brands from Japan, Inc (Lexus, et al).

Manufactures save money by sharing as many components from the parts bin as they can. On the down side you end up with the same console from 3 series to 8 series with no distinction whatsoever but they deem that a better than creating separate switch gear and circuit boards for each model. I personally do not like the engine start/stop button on the console but it is no rocket science they are saving money by consolidating all buttons onto a single board vs having a separate button and wiring harness mounted on the dash.

You say the Lexus IS and Lexus LX570 have different center console designs and that is true. However, look closely and you will see the same exact switch gear shared between the 2. Even the much maligned Lexus infotainment touchpad is the same between the IS and the flagship LS sedan. The Lexus infotainment System reviews poorly because of the haptic touchpad that makes it erratic and difficult to use unless you take your eyes off the road just to ensure that the cursor/arrow is pointing over the chosen on screen menu or icon.

I am sure Lexus shares a lot of underpinnings with "lesser" Toyotas down to wire harnesses. Nothing wrong with that but to make it look like BMW is the only manufacturer that engages in this practice is disingenuous at best.

Even platforms and engine sharing among BMW Group vehicles is quite common. The G CLAR platform modular as well as the current B family of 3-4 and 6 cyl turbo engines.

I have seen 2019 Corollas with button blanks as well.

Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #36
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Nice car, congratulations. There's no separate button for Sport Plus? Whats Auto H? thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 10:55 AM   #37
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
Nice car, congratulations. There's no separate button for Sport Plus? Whats Auto H? thanks
Auto brake hold is used so when pressed you can take your foot off the brake pedal and the car will still be held automatically. Works in conjunction with the electric parking brake system.

Sports plus is probably accessed by pressing the sport button and cycled more than once.

Appreciate 1
BMW11278.00
      03-03-2019, 12:47 PM   #38
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Nothing new here that hasn't been done before. Consolidation and component sharing across car platforms is something the industry has even engaged in for years and that includes brands from Japan, Inc (Lexus, et al).

Manufactures save money by sharing as many components from the parts bin as they can. On the down side you end up with the same console from 3 series to 8 series with no distinction whatsoever but they deem that a better than creating separate switch gear and circuit boards for each model. I personally do not like the engine start/stop button on the console but it is no rocket science they are saving money by consolidating all buttons onto a single board vs having a separate button and wiring harness mounted on the dash.

You say the Lexus IS and Lexus LX570 have different center console designs and that is true. However, look closely and you will see the same exact switch gear shared between the 2. Even the much maligned Lexus infotainment touchpad is the same between the IS and the flagship LS sedan. The Lexus infotainment System reviews poorly because of the haptic touchpad that makes it erratic and difficult to use unless you take your eyes off the road just to ensure that the cursor/arrow is pointing over the chosen on screen menu or icon.

I am sure Lexus shares a lot of underpinnings with "lesser" Toyotas down to wire harnesses. Nothing wrong with that but to make it look like BMW is the only manufacturer that engages in this practice is disingenuous at best.

Even platforms and engine sharing among BMW Group vehicles is quite common. The G CLAR platform modular as well as the current B family of 3-4 and 6 cyl turbo engines.

I have seen 2019 Corollas with button blanks as well.
I understand, I'm under no illusion that Toyota shares parts. But something so unique and what you're looking at every time you drive is unique to every model. I get that perhaps LE is missing some options from XLE Camry, hence some button blanks are present. But 4runner doesn't have a Camry shifting console.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2019, 01:29 PM   #39
geddylee
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7, 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by golf_234 View Post
Definitely like those guages more than the screen.

Could not agree more
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      03-04-2019, 11:32 AM   #40
Dallas TX Wes
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 (current)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturedraider View Post
Yepper. The smaller screen size and forgoing navigation is the price you pay for the “analog” gauges.
Congrats on the new car...looks great.

Thanks for posting these pics of the gauges and instrument cluster. I've been hoping to find some more info on what iDrive 6.0 is like--if you have the same customization options for the car (fold mirrors in upon lock, auto unlock as you approach, etc.). Would you mind posting some more info/photos? Trying to decide if I can live without Nav/Live Cockpit Pro.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 12:08 PM   #41
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
I understand, I'm under no illusion that Toyota shares parts. But something so unique and what you're looking at every time you drive is unique to every model. I get that perhaps LE is missing some options from XLE Camry, hence some button blanks are present. But 4runner doesn't have a Camry shifting console.
Shares just parts? How about whole vehicles? Take a close look at various design details other than the grille/fascia for this Toyota I rented in Iceland versus the Lexus GX! Sheetmetal, window shapes/openings, door handle locations, etc. Think the platforms are not identical? Talk about "badge engineering"! BTW, it was a very mediocre vehicle...

Attached Images

2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner

Last edited by Sportstick; 03-04-2019 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
530iDriver1707.50
      03-04-2019, 03:05 PM   #42
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Shares just parts? How about whole vehicles? Take a close look at various design details other than the grille/fascia for this Toyota I rented in Iceland versus the Lexus GX! Sheetmetal, window shapes/openings, door handle locations, etc. Think the platforms are not identical? Talk about "badge engineering"! BTW, it was a very mediocre vehicle...

Again you're missing the point. Prado is GX460 everywhere else. GX460 is Prado Land Cruiser in the rest of the world. That's not badge engineering, it's marketing. LX570 is the same thing as the Land Cruiser.
I'm talking about different cars/SUVs. Car vs SUV. 3 series should not have blanks because they uses the same console for x5 which has hill assist and other pavement traction options
You gotta understand what I'm saying, come on

LC and Camry vs x5 and 3
Attached Images

Last edited by MT4life; 03-04-2019 at 03:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:22 PM   #43
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Again you're missing the point. Prado is GX460 everywhere else. GX460 is Prado Land Cruiser in the rest of the world. That's not badge engineering, it's marketing. LX570 is the same thing as the Land Cruiser.
I'm talking about different cars/SUVs. Car vs SUV. 3 series should not have blanks because they uses the same console for x5 which has hill assist and other pavement traction options

LC and Camry vs x5 and 3
Yes, I do understand. I thought I was just taking it to the next level. Sorry for obscuring your original point. What you observe is the result of cost saving and parts count reduction at the assembly plant, as unpleasant as the final result may look.

(BTW, applying different names to the same essential vehicle with minor trim/fascia variations is the definition of badge engineering! Remember Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, Chrysler LeBaron?)
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 04:03 PM   #44
530iDriver
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportstick View Post
Quote:

LC and Camry vs x5 and 3
Yes, I do understand. I thought I was just taking it to the next level. Sorry for obscuring your original point. What you observe is the result of cost saving and parts count reduction at the assembly plant, as unpleasant as the final result may look.

(BTW, applying different names to the same essential vehicle with minor trim/fascia variations is the definition of badge engineering! Remember Dodge Aries, Plymouth Reliant, Chrysler LeBaron?)
Or remember the Chrysler TC by Maserati?

You have to give it to Iacocca... He milked the K-Car platform to the last drop!

Appreciate 0