Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK First ever BMW....Few concerns

08-05-2023, 03:55 PM   #1
asbost
Private
Rep
Drives: 330e M Sport

First ever BMW....Few concerns

Hi everyone, I'm due to take delivery of my 330e LCI in Brooklyn Grey in a few weeks time but this is my first BMW and I have a few reservations if anyone would be kind enough to comment (Be kind lol)

1. I've never driven a rear wheel drive car before and all my other cars have been hatchbacks and front wheel drive. I've heard horror stories about rear wheel drive cars losing control a lot easier with the back end, is this something to worry about??

2. This one is probably ridiculous but as I've said I've always been in hatchbacks so its been classed as a three door or 5 door. I've always had a wiper and washer on these cars, but as silly as it seems i'm thinking it's going to be difficult to see out the back, particularly when it's raining! I know you'll laugh and scoff at that but it's always something I've wondered, and how the hell do you clean the inside of that rear window lol. Is this something you just become accustomed to?

3. Soap Box Rant - I get that BMW are a premium brand but my wife has just taken delivery of a brand new Astra GS Line in white (Very, very sporty looking inside and out) and has almost everything you could ask for in a £30k car such as:

Heated steering wheel
Intelli-Vision 360° panoramic parking camera
Adaptive cruise control with Stop/Start (AT)
360° camera
Keyless Entry + Start
Blind / early warning assist

These are the options I am missing from my spec and yet the 330e is a staggering £20k more! I have opted for Brooklyn Grey, HK audio and lumbar support, that's all I could choose to be honest and when i'm in the wife's car which is absolutely beautiful inside and out I know it's going to pi55 me off that i'm missing all of those really useful 'nice' things that are standard in a Vauxhall! If i were to spec most of these things I would be looking at another £5k easily I reckon, maybe more. I do get it's a BMW but, still.....

Rant over lol

Apologies for the silly questions people.....
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2023, 05:23 PM   #2
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

1, the BMW traction control will be keeping an eye on you and making sure you stay on the road (as long as you don't switch it off).

2, I'm guessing you are getting a saloon? You can open the back window on a Touring. For the saloon I guess you get in the back to clean it?

3, those options are available on a BMW for extra money. I'd take a base BMW over anything Vauxhall any day. The BMW has better materials, build quality and ride. It'll drive better too. You can abuse a BMW a bit and it won't fall apart, unlike a Vauxhall, hence the price difference.
Appreciate 1
asbost19.50
      08-05-2023, 06:00 PM   #3
Herr Gross Byte
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 440i GC

A couple of examples on #1

I was driving in the rain today when I saw a 1 series coming off a roundabout. He must have given it a bit too much beans and the back end stepped out a little bit. The car neatly pulled it back in. I doubt the driver would have been too much aware or had any input.

I was driving an M4 once and I floored it in a corner but nothing happened. I thought the car might broken until I realised that it had analysed my input and decided "no, you aren't using that power in these road conditions with that corner."
Appreciate 1
asbost19.50
      08-06-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 340i

1. Very unlikely yhis will be an issue unless you boot it in the wet round a roundabout with tc off or in sport plus(even then tc is on)
I had an 340i with tuning box which was rwd and had no issues.

2. A non issue as the design means visibility is fine. I've never had the need to clean the inside at the back in 2 years so far. No one touches it so no need but if needs be just get in the back.

3. Get what you pay for really. Yes it is annoying and yes some of it is a blatant rip off but you could always get a Vauxhall Insignia of the 330e.....
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 03:48 AM   #5
RichardM
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i LCI

For 1. it is pretty much impossible to get yourself into too much trouble as long as you leave the stability control on.

2. saloon cars do not get any spray on the back window and whilst driving the wind will clear it so it's only really an issue whilst stationary

3. I get annoyed with it too, I see so many other cars with the blind spot warning in the mirror yet BMW charge you for a basic safety feature
asbost19.50
      08-07-2023, 05:18 AM   #6
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e LCI

Hi Asbost

Just for info I was in exactly the same boat as yourself. Only FWD cars all my life this was my first. But wow, I no longer want a FWD car. Steering feels so much more direct and engaging. You lose a fair bit in a FWD car so if you enjoy your driving I think you're going to enjoy it

1. I had similar concerns as per my comments above, but I can fully assure you, as long as you leave traction on this won't be an issue. I've absolutely booted it on a slight curve merging onto a dual carriageway as I noticed someone coming up behind fairly quickly and there was a slight wriggle in the back end but it sorted itself out rapidly. I was quite impressed.

2. Again, I have come from only hatchbacks never had a saloon til now. I've had this car since Feb this year and not once has cleaning the back window been an issue. Any standing water on the back is blown off almost immediately once you drive off and unless you are unlucky enough to get about 20 birds all doing their droppings directly onto your rear window this will definitely not be an issue. The only thing I've had to clean on the back is the rearview camera. Which is a daft design I have to admit. The fact it's always out open to the elements is dumb. Would be far better concealed and opening up when you select reverse gear like VW/Mercedes do.

3. I know where you are coming from in terms of "well she's paying that so the amount I'm paying I should get all that too!" It is a shame a lot of those features are missing but honestly I'd rather have none of them if the choice was a 3 series or an Astra. Seriously there is no comparison between the two. If you think they are pretty much the same I would cancel your order for your 3 series and get yourself an Astra with all the bells and whistles etc. But having had a vehicle with all those features, honestly the only one I miss slightly is the adaptive cruise control. The rest although a nice toy to play around with, is really unnecessary unless you're a poor driver/can't park or you can't even be bothered to press one button when you approach your car lol - not getting at anyone with these features but as I said, I've had them before on other cars, and I honestly don't miss them. In fact I specced my last new car without keyless as it was so annoying on the previous car. But I appreciate each to their own.

I have the 330e in Brooklyn grey also. Standard sound system though as that was the discount deal with my lease. But I love the car. I'm sure you will too. Still getting plenty of complements on it and the colour. I think you're going to love it.
Appreciate 2
asbost19.50
RoGo330i145.50
      08-07-2023, 06:25 AM   #7
AP
Major General
Rep
Drives: G30 M550

1 as others have stated
Rear wheel drive means the front wheel look after the steering and the rear after the traction
You may have seen it experienced the scenario when pulling out of say a side road where the front wheels lose a bit of grip as you turn on that road. That’s because the front tyres are trying to steer and pull, so only half of the tyre can look after steering and the other half pull hence it can lose grip. You’ve probably seen this on cars that are not even very powerful. Wave good bye to that with a rear wheel powered car under normal circumstances.

I’ve had rwd for over twenty years and never experienced any situation where the rear wheels have stepped out under any normal conditions. The only few times have been on snowy roads where winter tyres would have cured most of that

Really nothing to worry about and once you’ve had rwd , I can assure you you would not want to go back to fwd
Appreciate 2
asbost19.50
RoGo330i145.50
      08-07-2023, 01:29 PM   #8
asbost
Private
Rep

Thank you very much guys for your valuable input and for putting my mind at ease! I know I will fall in love with the 330e when it arrives so i'm sure the Astra won't be an afterthought once it arrives.

Thanks again people :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 01:33 PM   #9
asbost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge_Joebot View Post
Hi Asbost

Just for info I was in exactly the same boat as yourself. Only FWD cars all my life this was my first. But wow, I no longer want a FWD car. Steering feels so much more direct and engaging. You lose a fair bit in a FWD car so if you enjoy your driving I think you're going to enjoy it

1. I had similar concerns as per my comments above, but I can fully assure you, as long as you leave traction on this won't be an issue. I've absolutely booted it on a slight curve merging onto a dual carriageway as I noticed someone coming up behind fairly quickly and there was a slight wriggle in the back end but it sorted itself out rapidly. I was quite impressed.

2. Again, I have come from only hatchbacks never had a saloon til now. I've had this car since Feb this year and not once has cleaning the back window been an issue. Any standing water on the back is blown off almost immediately once you drive off and unless you are unlucky enough to get about 20 birds all doing their droppings directly onto your rear window this will definitely not be an issue. The only thing I've had to clean on the back is the rearview camera. Which is a daft design I have to admit. The fact it's always out open to the elements is dumb. Would be far better concealed and opening up when you select reverse gear like VW/Mercedes do.

3. I know where you are coming from in terms of "well she's paying that so the amount I'm paying I should get all that too!" It is a shame a lot of those features are missing but honestly I'd rather have none of them if the choice was a 3 series or an Astra. Seriously there is no comparison between the two. If you think they are pretty much the same I would cancel your order for your 3 series and get yourself an Astra with all the bells and whistles etc. But having had a vehicle with all those features, honestly the only one I miss slightly is the adaptive cruise control. The rest although a nice toy to play around with, is really unnecessary unless you're a poor driver/can't park or you can't even be bothered to press one button when you approach your car lol - not getting at anyone with these features but as I said, I've had them before on other cars, and I honestly don't miss them. In fact I specced my last new car without keyless as it was so annoying on the previous car. But I appreciate each to their own.

I have the 330e in Brooklyn grey also. Standard sound system though as that was the discount deal with my lease. But I love the car. I'm sure you will too. Still getting plenty of complements on it and the colour. I think you're going to love it.
Thank you Surge, you make some very valid points around parking tech ect and yeah, I've been driving a long time and had plenty of company cars so i'm good and comfortable with parking so as long as it has a rear camera i'll be fine.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, I know I will love it when it arrives.....Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 03:31 PM   #10
Neovo88
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW g20

Quote:
Originally Posted by asbost View Post
Thank you Surge, you make some very valid points around parking tech ect and yeah, I've been driving a long time and had plenty of company cars so i'm good and comfortable with parking so as long as it has a rear camera i'll be fine.

Thank you for such a detailed reply, I know I will love it when it arrives.....Thanks again!
Out of interest when is yours due to be delivered to the UK? I was given roughly end of August week commencing 21st for delivery of mine.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 05:42 PM   #11
asbost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovo88 View Post
Out of interest when is yours due to be delivered to the UK? I was given roughly end of August week commencing 21st for delivery of mine.
Ohh I've been waiting a while mate. Ordered early Sept last year and picking up on the 25th August!
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2023, 05:58 PM   #12
Charlie (Wessex)
Captain
Rep
Drives: G21 M340i

1. I had RWD for 26 years straight (and then 4 of 6) before temporarily going to a AWD system that was FWD biased. TBH while there was a difference, it wasn't overly concerning though early on I did get caught out a bit on a fast corner with a bit of understeer. Personally think oversteer is better to live with & correct, so you shouldn't worry. Apart from on snow maybe.

2. Can't help here, as had estates for the past 25 years. However I can't see out the back of my truck that often, but side mirrors are fine.

3. Well, when I got my first BMW, it didn't come witha radio as standard. Let's face it, the standard equipment pn a BMW is a joke compared to other less premium manufacturers. Which leads to the question, what is premium?

Think it means different things to different people. Maybe an unpopular opinion, but if I was looking at a 4 cylinder car, I very much doubt I'd look at BMW. Ridiculous prices because of the badge. And badge doesn't interest me in the slightest. How many people buy a 4 cylinder BMW for the chassis? I was perfectly happy with my Golf R and would happily buy another if I could get comfortable in it, and I've bough Hyundai and Subaru for the Mrs/family car in the past/present. But when it comes to 6 cylinder cars, there's not a lot of choice.
      08-08-2023, 06:29 AM   #13
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Thank you very much guys for your valuable input and for putting my mind at ease! I know I will fall in love with the 330e when it arrives so i'm sure the Astra won't be an afterthought once it arrives.

Thanks again people :-)
You're very welcome! Any more questions once you've got it call back on here. And post a pic of your new wheels!

You will love it trust me. Out of interest what car are you leaving behind for this one?
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 06:31 AM   #14
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ohh I've been waiting a while mate. Ordered early Sept last year and picking up on the 25th August!
I got so lucky with mine. Ordered it just before Christmas last year and collected it 6 weeks later at the start of Feb!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 03:32 PM   #15
Neovo88
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW g20

Quote:
That’s some patience, ordered back in April I thought that was long time 😂

Ours will be on the same boat coming across, not long to go
Appreciate 1
asbost19.50
      08-08-2023, 05:04 PM   #16
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

I know it's not exactly the same, but I'm trading up from a very well spec'd 2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI to a 2021 M340i touring and having driven a G21 320d and a 330d on test drives before plumping for the M340i (Because of the low annual mileage I do) I can assure you that the 330e will not disappoint, I considered a 330e xdrive at one point but for "reasons" I cannot have a home charger installed without a lot of hassle, but the G20 / G21 series cars are a total pleasure to drive. And the interior for me is best in class.

I cannot wait for my M340i to arrive!!
Appreciate 1
asbost19.50
      08-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #17
asbost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge_Joebot View Post
You're very welcome! Any more questions once you've got it call back on here. And post a pic of your new wheels!

You will love it trust me. Out of interest what car are you leaving behind for this one?
Ohh I will do mate, I'll probably have a few questions when I get it. Ahh look I'm sure when I get it I will fall in love with it, I've just been waiting that long for it the excitement is weaning a little but I'm sure when I get the call I'll be super excited!

Well, that's another story, my company decided to change suppliers AND change the company car policy at the same time which meant when my Audi A3 35tsi was picked up in Sept 2021 I was given hire cars so for the past two years I've had two KIA Sportages (old model), Renault Capture, Hyundai Ioniq and the car I'm currently in is a Vauxhall Grandland sooo it's been eventful lol.

I'm sure you can appreciate that it will be a very different experience from the cars I've had for the past two years!

I'll post a few pics up when I get it!

Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:21 PM   #18
asbost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neovo88 View Post
That’s some patience, ordered back in April I thought that was long time 😂

Ours will be on the same boat coming across, not long to go
Yeah, it's hard to believe I've waited that long. It was supposed to arrive in March but got the call to say there would be a 20 week delay.

Yes, I'm sure they will. I've been told that it arrives at the dealer on the 11th (Friday) and should be with me on the 25th (Northern Ireland) Fingers crossed lol

Start getting excited mate!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:27 PM   #19
asbost
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post
I know it's not exactly the same, but I'm trading up from a very well spec'd 2014 Skoda Octavia 2.0 TDI to a 2021 M340i touring and having driven a G21 320d and a 330d on test drives before plumping for the M340i (Because of the low annual mileage I do) I can assure you that the 330e will not disappoint, I considered a 330e xdrive at one point but for "reasons" I cannot have a home charger installed without a lot of hassle, but the G20 / G21 series cars are a total pleasure to drive. And the interior for me is best in class.

I'm sure you are excited beyond belief mate. Thank you for your views, I really appreciate it. I too was told that I had to have a home charger which would have been difficult as I'm on a street but then they changed their minds and said I didn't have to have one so the 330e was a goer!

I too can't wait till it bloody arrives 12 months later!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2023, 05:47 PM   #20
The_Tok'Ra
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 325ti Compact Sport, G21 M340i

Quote:
I'm sure you are excited beyond belief mate. Thank you for your views, I really appreciate it. I too was told that I had to have a home charger which would have been difficult as I'm on a street but then they changed their minds and said I didn't have to have one so the 330e was a goer!

I too can't wait till it bloody arrives 12 months later!
LOL! I assume you don't need to pay for charging then? Or you can get a good discount. That's awesome! Would be a deal breaker for me If I was in that position. Would have gone 330e for sure. TBH I've only gone M340i as I wanted a 3 series touring with a petrol engine and xdrive, for Scottish winters, i..e. a bit of snow, well, sometimes a fair bit of snow, and the M340i is my only option, unless I want to fork out for a M3 touring at over £100K. Eh... No! I just don't have THAT kind of money.

Are you seriously looking at 12 months before delivery? Good grief!!
Appreciate 1
asbost19.50
      08-09-2023, 04:54 AM   #21
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Tok'Ra View Post

I'm so jealous of you man! Would absolutely love a 340i. They are rapid too.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2023, 04:59 AM   #22
Surge_Joebot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Ohh I will do mate, I'll probably have a few questions when I get it. Ahh look I'm sure when I get it I will fall in love with it, I've just been waiting that long for it the excitement is weaning a little but I'm sure when I get the call I'll be super excited!

Well, that's another story, my company decided to change suppliers AND change the company car policy at the same time which meant when my Audi A3 35tsi was picked up in Sept 2021 I was given hire cars so for the past two years I've had two KIA Sportages (old model), Renault Capture, Hyundai Ioniq and the car I'm currently in is a Vauxhall Grandland sooo it's been eventful lol.

I'm sure you can appreciate that it will be a very different experience from the cars I've had for the past two years!

I'll post a few pics up when I get it!

Thanks again.
Wow! Yeah that's quite a mix haha! The Ioniq is an odd one!

But yeah, coming from all those vehicles, I think you're gonna like this one. I always hate the wait for a new car. First time I got one through work was a Golf GTE (back in 2016 when they were actually specced very well as standard! Not like now horrible now imo) and I remember the wait was about 6 months. It was torture. I have been so lucky with the last few cars I've had. Never waited longer than a couple of months so I've been well chuffed. A friend in my work ordered a new polestar and he ordered it back in 2021. He only just received it in April this year! Estimate was July 2022! Lol. He was fuming when I got mine in 6 weeks ha!

Not much longer now mate and you'll be loving your new arrival.
Appreciate 1
asbost19.50