10-22-2020, 04:38 PM   #1
planemad
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 Audi SQ7 & 2019 AM DB11
Location: The Democratic Peoples Republic Of South East England

First Service

My G21 320d x drive had its first service today at 13100 mls.

This is the lowest mileage any of my BMWs on the condition based servicing schedule has asked for a service.

My other cars always pinged at circa 16k-18k mls.

No change in driving style or different types of journeys, typically I do 60 miles per day on A roads.

Just thought it’s a bit premature for the first service and I wonder why it calculated this early based on what condition? Oil quality sensor maybe?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:05 AM   #2
G20NZ
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

My 320d tells me it's due at 15 000km which is about 9300 miles
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #3
Don76
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M-Sport

My 320i is on 17k miles and 1st service due in 1800 miles
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 06:57 AM   #4
73henny
Lieutenant Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: a lovely new G20 320dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by planemad View Post
My G21 320d x drive had its first service today at 13100 mls.

This is the lowest mileage any of my BMWs on the condition based servicing schedule has asked for a service.

My other cars always pinged at circa 16k-18k mls.

No change in driving style or different types of journeys, typically I do 60 miles per day on A roads.

Just thought it's a bit premature for the first service and I wonder why it calculated this early based on what condition? Oil quality sensor maybe?
What did you pay for your service if you don't mind me asking?
My car is asking for a service next month and it'll be at 14k / 18mths since delivery.

Gone; F30 335dx, F30 330dx, F21 LCI 125d, F48 X1 20dx, F10 520d
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2020, 12:36 PM   #5
Lowney
Rep
Drives: G20 M Sport 320d

Just had my 320d serviced at 16000 miles. Cost £286 for oil change and microfilter. Told them I had issues with idrive to get software update which didn't happen. Overall not a great expirience to be honest.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:23 AM   #6
BeagleKCH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320d xDrive M Sport

I hope this experience is of use to some of you. My 320d has just had its first service at 12,835 miles (which was about 200 miles before it was due, according to the dash warning).

I took it in for a key read at my BMW main dealer, when the service warning first came up, who confirmed that the service warning was accurate (the normal service interval should be 18,000 miles). They explained that if I had been doing many short journeys, which I had over lockdown, the service interval would be reduced. There is an oil sensor which measures the quality of the oil which determines the service interval.

They quoted me £280.81 for a first service, which entails an oil change, and oil filter and a pollen filter. Thinking back, I'm assuming that that included VAT, but I didn't specifically ask.

I balked at that a bit and took it to my local garage.

Their bill came to £272.43!

This is what it needed (using genuine BMW parts).

B83.21.2.465.854 BMW LL-04 0W-30W Oil 6LTRS @ £14.58 = £87.48
B11.428.575.211 Oil Filter £17.04
B64.11.9.382.886 Pollen Filter £61.25

Plus 1.25 hours labour @ £49 per hour = £61.25.

Net £227.02
VAT £45.41

TOTAL £272.43.

So, either BMW supply non-main dealers product at a higher price than they supply to main dealers, or BMW main dealers charge labour at about £49 per hour.

Either way, the saving from going local (and this is a garage I have complete faith in, in terms of honesty and service), was negligible.

I looked into a BMW service plan, but that was an absolute arm and a leg.
Appreciate 3
hamera441.50
Soul_Glo13282.50
shauntb10.00
      10-31-2020, 07:05 AM   #7
jon0
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 330d XDrive G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleKCH View Post
I hope this experience is of use to some of you. My 320d has just had its first service at 12,835 miles (which was about 200 miles before it was due, according to the dash warning).

I took it in for a key read at my BMW main dealer, when the service warning first came up, who confirmed that the service warning was accurate (the normal service interval should be 18,000 miles). They explained that if I had been doing many short journeys, which I had over lockdown, the service interval would be reduced. There is an oil sensor which measures the quality of the oil which determines the service interval.

They quoted me £280.81 for a first service, which entails an oil change, and oil filter and a pollen filter. Thinking back, I'm assuming that that included VAT, but I didn't specifically ask.

Net £227.02
VAT £45.41

TOTAL £272.43.

So, either BMW supply non-main dealers product at a higher price than they supply to main dealers, or BMW main dealers charge labour at about £49 per hour.

Either way, the saving from going local (and this is a garage I have complete faith in, in terms of honesty and service), was negligible.

Seems like they have added mark up to the BMW consumables - I got a quote yesterday from BMW dealer for my service (all prices plus vat) breakdown includes: oil £12.5/litre, oil filter £15.34, pollen filter £42.60, air filter £29.19...
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2020, 02:15 PM   #8
Amos91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G20 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeagleKCH View Post

Net £227.02
VAT £45.41

TOTAL £272.43.

Hope you got some oil back as it doesn't take 6L in total. I also take my own oil to the BMW dealership, third party brand LL04 oil is roughly half the price.

May as well have used a pattern pollen filter as well if you're going to the lengths of using an indie, £61 is laughable.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 03:43 AM   #9
notleks64
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 128ti

Service Cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowney View Post
Just had my 320d serviced at 16000 miles. Cost £286 for oil change and microfilter. Told them I had issues with idrive to get software update which didn't happen. Overall not a great expirience to be honest.
I've just had my G20 320i serviced. 5900mls, however it was due a service based on date which was February. Oil and filter cost £287
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 08:23 AM   #10
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i Touring

My M340i isn't due until June but my wife's Mini JCW is due it's 4 year service.
£422 including a brake fluid charge, this is the service that included plugs and filters. Not cheap!

I know that my BMW labour charge is now £165 p/h plus VAT. Close to £200 an hour!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 09:36 AM   #11
JNW1
Major General
Rep
Drives: F56 Mini Cooper S

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
My M340i isn't due until June but my wife's Mini JCW is due it's 4 year service.
£422 including a brake fluid charge, this is the service that included plugs and filters. Not cheap!

I know that my BMW labour charge is now £165 p/h plus VAT. Close to £200 an hour!
Interesting, I know we were in the same boat in terms of having our car deliveries delayed by lockdown (is that really almost two years ago now?!!) but mine is showing it's due its first oil service in March rather than June (so two years from manufacture rather than two years from delivery).

I took the 5-year, 50k mile service pack in a Black Friday offer back in 2020; can't remember exactly what I paid but I know it worked out at comfortably less than the cost of two services with a BMW main dealer (and hence it seemed an easy decision given I intend to keep the car for at least 5 years!).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 11:36 AM   #12
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:

Interesting, I know we were in the same boat in terms of having our car deliveries delayed by lockdown (is that really almost two years ago now?!!) but mine is showing it's due its first oil service in March rather than June (so two years from manufacture rather than two years from delivery).

I took the 5-year, 50k mile service pack in a Black Friday offer back in 2020; can't remember exactly what I paid but I know it worked out at comfortably less than the cost of two services with a BMW main dealer (and hence it seemed an easy decision given I intend to keep the car for at least 5 years!).
I did the same. I thought it was 4 years though?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2022, 11:59 AM   #13
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In fact I've just checked, you are correct.
Oil due March
Brake fluid May 2023
Inspection March 2023
Vehicle check March 2024

A bit odd.

Also should really be from first registration I would have thought.
I've just checked and my Service Inclusive is showing until March 2025. I may email them so it's accurate to June 2025.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      02-06-2022, 04:10 AM   #14
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

In fact I've just checked, you are correct.
Oil due March
Brake fluid May 2023
Inspection March 2023
Vehicle check March 2024

A bit odd.

Also should really be from first registration I would have thought.
I've just checked and my Service Inclusive is showing until March 2025. I may email them so it's accurate to June 2025.
Yes, I think it would make more sense for these things to run from the date of registration. If you buy a new car that's been sitting in stock for a couple months I'd have thought the timing of servicing would go from the date of registration - or at least the PDI - and not from the date the car went into stock; due to circumstances our cars effectively went into stock for two months so to me the service timings should run from the revised date of registration.

Interestingly, the due date for the Vehicle Inspection on mine is May 2023 (so three years from the month of registration) while the other dates based on time all relate to March (the month of manufacture). So there isn't even consistency with how the dates have been derived - think I'll have a word with my local dealer about it the next time I'm in the vicinity!
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 07:24 AM   #15
barian
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 318i

Quote:
Yes, I think it would make more sense for these things to run from the date of registration. If you buy a new car that's been sitting in stock for a couple months I'd have thought the timing of servicing would go from the date of registration - or at least the PDI - and not from the date the car went into stock; due to circumstances our cars effectively went into stock for two months so to me the service timings should run from the revised date of registration.

Interestingly, the due date for the Vehicle Inspection on mine is May 2023 (so three years from the month of registration) while the other dates based on time all relate to March (the month of manufacture). So there isn't even consistency with how the dates have been derived - think I'll have a word with my local dealer about it the next time I'm in the vicinity!
I think you may find that the "vehicle inspection" is the "statutory vehicle inspection" i.e. MOT, which would be due on the third anniversary of registration. The other services would tend to be based on fluid lives (if oil mileage not reached) which would logically be measured from first fill, i.e date of manufacture.
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      02-06-2022, 08:47 AM   #16
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by barian View Post
Quote:

I think you may find that the "vehicle inspection" is the "statutory vehicle inspection" i.e. MOT, which would be due on the third anniversary of registration. The other services would tend to be based on fluid lives (if oil mileage not reached) which would logically be measured from first fill, i.e date of manufacture.
That's a fair point! I've never bought a new car that's been sitting around in stock for a few months but if the clock starts ticking with the servicing on those from the date of manufacture then perhaps what's showing on my car is correct....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 11:58 AM   #17
PeteN
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by barian View Post
Quote:

That's a fair point! I've never bought a new car that's been sitting around in stock for a few months but if the clock starts ticking with the servicing on those from the date of manufacture then perhaps what's showing on my car is correct....
I've sent an email to BMW. I'll let you know what they come back with
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      02-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #18
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

I'd say having a lil from new that's been sit in the engine unused for 4 months is a reason to change sooner not later!

If you've ever done an oil change under 2000 miles in normal times you'd understand just how dirty it gets. Remnants of the manufacturing process.

It's perfectly safe not too however, but for the cost of a tank of fuel basically ( if you do it yourself) it's really a no brained
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      02-06-2022, 12:38 PM   #19
barian
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 318i

Quote:
I've sent an email to BMW. I'll let you know what they come back with
Regarding the expiry date of the service inclusive plan, it should definitely be 5 years from the registration date or the mileage limit (which is 62,000 miles, as it is specified as100,000km). It seems that BMW weren't picking up the registration date and were defaulting to the build date, which could conceivably mean missing a "free" service. The issue is discussed in this thread, and it does seem to take some chasing to get the error corrected:
https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1875091
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      02-06-2022, 12:45 PM   #20
JNW1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
I'd say having a oil from new that's been sit in the engine unused for 4 months is a reason to change sooner not later!

If you've ever done an oil change under 2000 miles in normal times you'd understand just how dirty it gets. Remnants of the manufacturing process.

It's perfectly safe not too however, but for the cost of a tank of fuel basically ( if you do it yourself) it's really a no brained
Yes, I certainly see where you're coming from with that! My car will be two years old next month by reference to date of manufacture and to be honest I'm leaning towards having the first service done then regardless. As I type it's done just under 9k miles - and has done a higher proportion of short runs than I'd like or had envisaged - so an oil change sooner rather than later feels like the right thing to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2022, 12:46 PM   #21
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
I'd say having a oil from new that's been sit in the engine unused for 4 months is a reason to change sooner not later!

Yes, I certainly see where you're coming from with that! My car will be two years old next month by reference to date of manufacture and to be honest I'm leaning towards having the first service done then regardless. As I type it's done just under 9k miles - and has done a higher proportion of short runs than I'd like or had envisaged - so an oil change sooner rather than later feels like the right thing to do.
Yup, the oil is still the same age whether or not you've driven the car
Appreciate 1
JNW13122.00
      02-07-2022, 05:47 AM   #22
HeebieJeebies
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: G21 320 xdrive Diesel

Just had the first service on my G21 320 (just over 4K Miles) I have a BMW approved dealer service plan which when I purchased the wrong mileage for services was filled in by the sales drone.

This ended up with me having to pay a ‘top up’ fee as the plan didn’t take into account that the measurements re intervals is mileage OR time, so the time starts from date of manufacture. The ‘top up’ fee paid also reduced my monthly service plan cost by a few pounds a month but it’s resulted in the plan being on course now.

I was also given a ‘VIP’ discount card, which apparently gives discounts on ALL parts and ALL services from this dealer (Parks of Hamilton), but it can’t be applied to a service plan service ffs!

As I reach nearer the age of senility, it’s becoming ever more obvious that NOTHING is free in this world
Appreciate 0