Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Variety of electronic/software issues with my M340i

07-25-2019, 10:41 AM   #1
gregeas
Rep
Drives: m340ix

Variety of electronic/software issues with my M340i

I traded in my m235ix for an m340ix in May. We also have an X5 eDrive, so I'm familiar with how BMWs work.

First, I love driving this car. Acceleration feels significantly faster than the m235, and the interior is much more practical than the 2 series for my needs (my 15 yo son is now 6'1" and no longer fits in the back of an m235!). I also like the styling and overall quality.

However, I'm experiencing a surprising and disappointing number of problems with the electronics and software. These include:

* With the most recent iPhone (XS with latest OS) and Apple's standard music app, the car's interface has several issues: incorrect/mismatched album and song data are often displayed, and I also get a "Please wait..." message on the main media screen and on the HUD that never goes away (as if the playlist is loading but never completes). Moveover, I cannot scroll down for other songs on my phone, as these never load. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
* The windows sometimes roll up or down with one touch but other times do not. This resulted in the windows being left open inadvertently overnight when the car was parked on the street. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
* The car will not fully turn off ("idle state" in the manual) unless I lock it. I store the car every night in our alarmed/locked garage, so I'm not in the habit of also locking the car. But if I don't lock the car, the electronics (not engine) will stay on for hours. In my other BWMs, pressing the ignition button twice switched off the car, but this definitely doesn't work in the M340. [FEATURE NOT A BUG ACCORDING TO BMW.]
* The place where I store the phone while driving -- in the center tray behind the cup holders -- constantly activates the phone's Apple Pay service. I assume this is the car's NFC system pinging the phone for its "digital key," and I know this feature isn't ready yet. But seeing the phone constantly wake up for Apple Pay is a problem. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
* Sunroof only closes properly 50% of the time. Most of the time it bounces back as if obstructed. It's a matter of time before I get caught in the rain if I use the sunroof. [NEW BUG.]

I'm not sure why I'm having so many issues and am taking the car in for a second service appointment tomorrow. I'm a software developer, and to me this car is "beta," i.e., not finished.

Any thoughts how I can handle this with BMW? The car is leased, and the dealership has been good to me.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 11:22 AM   #2
BMV///M3
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW f80 M3

There are a lot of these issues talked about in other threads. You can chalk it up to "don't buy a first year model". But in my opinion this is absolutely unacceptable for BMW to have these problems. We are taking delivery next weekend and I will be on the phone with BMW if we experience these issues. It's hard to fathom how this can be going on since the G20 launch and not be fixed.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeas View Post
* The car will not fully turn off ("idle state" in the manual) unless I lock it. I store the car every night in our alarmed/locked garage, so I'm not in the habit of also locking the car. But if I don't lock the car, the electronics (not engine) will stay on for hours. In my other BWMs, pressing the ignition button twice switched off the car, but this definitely doesn't work in the M340. [FEATURE NOT A BUG ACCORDING TO BMW.] .
I'm not having any of the issues you mention but maybe this one. However, I'm pretty sure I've left my car with the doors unlocked in my garage on occasion and came back in the morning to a car that was completely turned off. There is a setting in the menus to make the car turn off after you close the door if nobody is detected.

I'm still getting used to the sunroof controls. They seem finicky... you have to apply the right amount of pressure to get them to function properly. Poor design in my opinion.
Appreciate 1
Maxdog48.00
      07-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #4
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i

iDrive completely crashed the other day when it failed to recognize a voice command. Takes 30 seconds for all the systems to initialize.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
Ilyam5
Major
Rep
Drives: 06 M3

The car is finicky to set up and only works one way. They do have to make it more flexible.
So find the workarounds or the way it works and leave it there.

On the car not shutting down - how close do you keep your key?
if it senses the key it will stay alive. or just lock it.

On the music - i sue USB drive or load it on the HD in car - much better quality/.
Windows - are a fault - let dealer look at it. Mine work great.

Update services, reboot i drive to reset the system- see if it clears any issues.

Wireless charging is known issue with Apple. They are trying to fix it with wireless tray replacements - ask your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 02:36 PM   #6
gregeas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
The car is finicky to set up and only works one way. They do have to make it more flexible.

On the music - i sue USB drive or load it on the HD in car - much better quality/.

Update services, reboot i drive to reset the system- see if it clears any issues.

Wireless charging is known issue with Apple. They are trying to fix it with wireless tray replacements - ask your dealer.
Thanks. Will try a USB drive to see if that works...

My key is stored in a different part of the house, but I do know that it will wake up the car when near. In my other BMWs, pressing the start/stop button twice would shut down everything, but this doesn't seem to be possible with the m340.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 03:59 PM   #7
sonicflux
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i M-Sport

Update your iphone to the current version, if you haven't. I think that solves the nfc/apple pay issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2019, 05:51 PM   #8
ramparts
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicflux View Post
Update your iphone to the current version, if you haven't. I think that solves the nfc/apple pay issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicflux View Post
Also, put your phone upside down ( ie screen down). Assuming it's in a case it'll be fine , and how I have mine
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 06:58 AM   #9
gregeas
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidoff86 View Post
Also, put your phone upside down ( ie screen down). Assuming it's in a case it'll be fine , and how I have mine
Thanks. Phone has the latest OS. Will try placing it face down. Annoyingly the car didn’t come with wireless charging in that tray.

ALSO — see photo — is it safe to assume that my sunroof isn’t opening all the way? Can anyone confirm?

In any case I’m heading to the dealer today. I think they are doing a software update, which may help.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:09 AM   #10
dpod25
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2019 330i xDrive

Damn, that's a lot of issues. Of your list, only the Apple Pay triggering issue is "normal" due to the way iPhones respond to NFC fields; there's another thread about it where many of us have that one. It's an Apple problem, not BMW's.

Also, the sunroof not opening all the way is "normal" as well.

But the other issues don't seem normal to me. I'm wondering if all of those issues are linked to a specific computer or chip that might need to be replaced. Hope you get it all fixed!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 07:46 AM   #11
Fean07
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Bmw m340i

Quote:

My key is stored in a different part of the house, but I do know that it will wake up the car when near. In my other BMWs, pressing the start/stop button twice would shut down everything, but this doesn't seem to be possible with the m340.
Try to hold the idrive power button a couple of second after engine off ... the magic will happen
Or try to check the idrive setting to turn off the car when you open the door
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 02:42 PM   #12
HoustonEaDo
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Garage List
Quote:
* The car will not fully turn off ("idle state" in the manual) unless I lock it. I store the car every night in our alarmed/locked garage, so I'm not in the habit of also locking the car. But if I don't lock the car, the electronics (not engine) will stay on for hours. In my other BWMs, pressing the ignition button twice switched off the car, but this definitely doesn't work in the M340. [FEATURE NOT A BUG ACCORDING TO BMW.]
Press and hold the radio volume knob for a few seconds after turning the car off...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2019, 03:18 PM   #13
chazbarrington
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

You can also swipe down from the top of the center display and select Vehicle Off
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
themnmd1687.00
G8rGrl568.50
      07-26-2019, 08:33 PM   #14
Delta5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i, 2018 X3 30i

Couple of comments...

Quote:
* With the most recent iPhone (XS with latest OS) and Apple's standard music app, the car's interface has several issues: incorrect/mismatched album and song data are often displayed, and I also get a "Please wait..." message on the main media screen and on the HUD that never goes away (as if the playlist is loading but never completes). Moveover, I cannot scroll down for other songs on my phone, as these never load. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
Are you perhaps running iOS 13 Beta? I tried it the Public 3 beta last week on my XSMax and my M340i behaved like you describe above. Music navigation was essentially useless via iDrive. CarPlay worked fine. Also similar issues in my '18 X3. Back to iOS12 and it's fine.

Quote:
My M340i has been fine, but our '18 X3 and a buddy's '19 X5 occasionally has problems shutting down. I've not experienced it staying on for literallly hours though. When BMW got rid of the double-tap, they created a janky system that tries to figure out occupancy on shutdown; "Comfort Parking" or some such nonsense. Note how it won't shut off until the last occupant has opened their door.

On our X3, we've learned to put it in Park, shut off ignition, then wait 2-3 seconds before opening the driver door. If you pull on driver's door latch while the engine is running or stopping, sometimes it gets confused and will stay in "accessory" mode for 15-20 minutes or until locked. My wife says, "yeah, car's singing to itself in the garage again..." Why BMW can't figure out how to shut down a car like literally every other manufacturer baffles me.

When asked about the X3, my SA told me to just make sure to lock the car. Thanks.

Quote:
* The place where I store the phone while driving -- in the center tray behind the cup holders -- constantly activates the phone's Apple Pay service. I assume this is the car's NFC system pinging the phone for its "digital key," and I know this feature isn't ready yet. But seeing the phone constantly wake up for Apple Pay is a problem. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
Ditto. Absurd bug. I keep my iPhone in a case. I've found it helps to put the BMW Digital Key Card in behind the phone. That allows me to "use my iPhone" for access & ignition, but has the side benefit as it seems to have significantly calmed down how often Apple Pay gets activated. Not sure why; maybe dials down the amount of 'pings' the car makes against the NFC. Without the Card, AP would trigger frequently and often stay lit for minutes at a time (my patience usually forced the issue with a lock). With the Card, I see AP trigger once or twice an hour and each time the phone goes back to sleep within 15-30 seconds. It's still dumb, but iPhone battery drain seems negligible so I just close the cover and ignore it. Note, I do NOT have wireless charging, just the NFC tray.

Good luck with the rest. Quite frustrating.

Last edited by Delta5; 07-26-2019 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 06:01 AM   #15
gregeas
Rep

Thanks for the ideas. Car is at the dealer now getting serviced, and I have a loaner 330 that looks to be a few days old. The dealer is also doing a software update — there was a recall — but I don’t have details on that.

My iPhone is an XS with the regular release version of software (12.4). I think it’s possible that the latest update solved or partially solved the Apple Pay issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 10:35 PM   #16
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post

In iDrive you can set it up to turn off the radio and everything else when you open the door to exit the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2019, 11:03 PM   #17
johnnyg238
Drive it like you stole it
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Sapphire Black M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I have the NFC issue which is just annoying and also the sunroof issue which is just plain stupid from engineering standpoint.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 11:00 AM   #18
Nabzpv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘13 328i, ‘16 535i, ‘20 M340i

I am now on my second M340i—I took delivery of my first one (Dravit Grey/Black) on May 24, 2019, and then it spent 45 days out of my first 55 days of ownership in service due to Bluetooth and mic issues.

After completely dismantling the car, replacing all mics and the audio module (under supervision of an area engineer), no dice. BMWUSA finally agreed to replace the car itself, and now I have a SBM/Congac. It’s been a complete nightmare going back and forth with BMW and driving stripped down loaners while paying the M340i note!
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      07-28-2019, 11:19 AM   #19
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabzpv View Post
I am now on my second M340i—I took delivery of my first one (Dravit Grey/Black) on May 24, 2019, and then it spent 45 days out of my first 55 days of ownership in service due to Bluetooth and mic issues.

After completely dismantling the car, replacing all mics and the audio module (under supervision of an area engineer), no dice. BMWUSA finally agreed to replace the car itself, and now I have a SBM/Congac. It’s been a complete nightmare going back and forth with BMW and driving stripped down loaners while paying the M340i note!
Holy s***, that sucks. Sorry you had to go through all that.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #20
Nabzpv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘13 328i, ‘16 535i, ‘20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
Holy s***, that sucks. Sorry you had to go through all that.
Thanks, man! It totally took the joy out of the new car process, it was even worse because BMW was super sheisty about compensating me for vehicle downtime.
Silver lining: I was on the fence on Dravit Grey, and I’m really happy with the new configuration. Currently waiting on it while it gets tinted
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2019, 03:11 PM   #21
ashokgadeking
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, man! It totally took the joy out of the new car process, it was even worse because BMW was super sheisty about compensating me for vehicle downtime.
Silver lining: I was on the fence on Dravit Grey, and I’m really happy with the new configuration. Currently waiting on it while it gets tinted
You deserve an M3 for what you have been through if BMW handled customer care like consumer electronics companies. Glad you like SBM. Please post sost some pics after you get the tints done.
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      07-28-2019, 05:05 PM   #22
gregeas
Rep

Quote:

I was wondering about that as my car is in service for the second time in two months of ownership: at what point does BMW have to get you a fully functioning car? I believe I bought one of the first M340s in the NYC area, and one of my weird theories is that it's more of a prototype than a consumer-facing vehicle. We'll see what happens when I get it back tomorrow. Whatever they are doing is taking more than one day.
Appreciate 0