Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Variety of electronic/software issues with my M340i

07-28-2019, 06:41 PM   #23
Weiner0123
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i. 2013 328i

Mines in for service tmrw, second time, Software Recall, and now a rattle from the centre speaker
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2019, 02:30 PM   #24
Giggler
Banned
Rep
Drives: 20' M340i, 24' X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregeas View Post
I was wondering about that as my car is in service for the second time in two months of ownership: at what point does BMW have to get you a fully functioning car? I believe I bought one of the first M340s in the NYC area, and one of my weird theories is that it's more of a prototype than a consumer-facing vehicle. We'll see what happens when I get it back tomorrow. Whatever they are doing is taking more than one day.
The electronics, which people seem to be having the most problems with, is the same as the 330i... And it seems that the majority of the M340i is assembled on the same production line as the 330i, so not so sure what part of the car you are considering to be a prototype. The B58 powertrain is nothing new either. I had a bit of trouble decrypting my VIN number, but it seems my M340i was number 234225 on the G20 production line. Maybe that explains why my car has has no problems?

My only problem/complaint is that the exterior door handles are somewhat creaky and cheap feeling... like they might be a problem one day but not today.

This is my first BMW.... My old car, a 2014 Lexus IS350 F-sport, was one of the very first of the new generation... ~3000th off the production line. That car was mechanically solid but had plenty of new generation issues. I would expect similar from BMW, so I am only leasing this time around, but this car is feeling solid so far.

Last edited by Giggler; 12-22-2019 at 11:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2019, 12:37 AM   #25
Nabzpv
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘13 328i, ‘16 535i, ‘20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashokgadeking View Post
You deserve an M3 for what you have been through if BMW handled customer care like consumer electronics companies. Glad you like SBM. Please post sost some pics after you get the tints done.
It was ridiculous. The whole process felt like it was all about BMW seeing how much of my money it can keep. Ultimately, they ended up cutting a check for the difference in the MSRP between the car I bought and the replacement, but refused to do anything above that. I’m a bit salty because I paid the M340i note for two months while I drove pretty base loaners (4 total). The last loaner I had was a Mazda CX-5!

Still considering my options as to recovering those payments...

The SBM looks great after the tint and blacking out the amber reflector, but I’m a noob and don’t know how to post pics yet lol
Appreciate 1
G8rGrl568.50
      07-30-2019, 12:41 AM   #26
Nabzpv
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was wondering about that as my car is in service for the second time in two months of ownership: at what point does BMW have to get you a fully functioning car? I believe I bought one of the first M340s in the NYC area, and one of my weird theories is that it's more of a prototype than a consumer-facing vehicle. We'll see what happens when I get it back tomorrow. Whatever they are doing is taking more than one day.
I don’t know the law in NY, but CA’s ‘reasonable standard’ is usually triggered by 30 consecutive days in service and 3 repairs. I easily met both of those, but I didn’t want to go through lemon litigation—I also kind of expected BMW to want to make it right, especially because this is my 6th. But nope, I had to get aggressive to get anything at all. They wanted to give me a cheaper car and have me walk away

But yeah, my SA told me that they’ve had quite a few problems with the new tech in the G20s, and we both hypothecated exactly what you are. Even my replacement has the center speaker rattle in sport. At least my Bluetooth works now...?
Appreciate 1
      07-30-2019, 12:56 AM   #27
Nabzpv
United_States
Rep

Okay, let’s see if I figured this out. I went with Suntek CIR 70% Windshield and then CXP 5% rear and on amber reflectors, and 15% front. Really liking how it turned out

Appreciate 2
Fuller1216.50
      11-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #28
Kingy-
Rep
Drives: G20

Quote:
I traded in my m235ix for an m340ix in May. We also have an X5 eDrive, so I'm familiar with how BMWs work.

First, I love driving this car. Acceleration feels significantly faster than the m235, and the interior is much more practical than the 2 series for my needs (my 15 yo son is now 6'1" and no longer fits in the back of an m235!). I also like the styling and overall quality.

However, I'm experiencing a surprising and disappointing number of problems with the electronics and software. These include:

* With the most recent iPhone (XS with latest OS) and Apple's standard music app, the car's interface has several issues: incorrect/mismatched album and song data are often displayed, and I also get a "Please wait..." message on the main media screen and on the HUD that never goes away (as if the playlist is loading but never completes). Moveover, I cannot scroll down for other songs on my phone, as these never load. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
* The windows sometimes roll up or down with one touch but other times do not. This resulted in the windows being left open inadvertently overnight when the car was parked on the street. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
* The car will not fully turn off ("idle state" in the manual) unless I lock it. I store the car every night in our alarmed/locked garage, so I'm not in the habit of also locking the car. But if I don't lock the car, the electronics (not engine) will stay on for hours. In my other BWMs, pressing the ignition button twice switched off the car, but this definitely doesn't work in the M340. [FEATURE NOT A BUG ACCORDING TO BMW.]
* The place where I store the phone while driving -- in the center tray behind the cup holders -- constantly activates the phone's Apple Pay service. I assume this is the car's NFC system pinging the phone for its "digital key," and I know this feature isn't ready yet. But seeing the phone constantly wake up for Apple Pay is a problem. [NOT FIXED AFTER SERVICE.]
* Sunroof only closes properly 50% of the time. Most of the time it bounces back as if obstructed. It's a matter of time before I get caught in the rain if I use the sunroof. [NEW BUG.]

I'm not sure why I'm having so many issues and am taking the car in for a second service appointment tomorrow. I'm a software developer, and to me this car is "beta," i.e., not finished.

Any thoughts how I can handle this with BMW? The car is leased, and the dealership has been good to me.
I have a June 2019 G20 and currently with BMW for the second time in a week, both mirrors have locked closed and no electric windows or manual window fold works from the drivers side, they fitted a new comms unit and worked for a few days and then happened again, they said it’s a wiring loom problem, apparantly they have seen a few of these but no recall is ready to be released
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2019, 02:44 PM   #29
bimmer456
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i

The car should turn completely off after a few minutes if you don't lock it otherwise there's something wrong. You can also press and hold the power button for the radio/infotainment for a few seconds to turn it off without locking. I discovered this after returning my G20 loaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 04:49 AM   #30
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep
Drives: 08BMW335xia22

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilyam5 View Post
The car is finicky to set up and only works one way. They do have to make it more flexible.
So find the workarounds or the way it works and leave it there.

On the car not shutting down - how close do you keep your key?
if it senses the key it will stay alive. or just lock it.

On the music - i sue USB drive or load it on the HD in car - much better quality/.
Windows - are a fault - let dealer look at it. Mine work great.

Update services, reboot i drive to reset the system- see if it clears any issues.

Wireless charging is known issue with Apple. They are trying to fix it with wireless tray replacements - ask your dealer.
Thanks. Will try a USB drive to see if that works...

My key is stored in a different part of the house, but I do know that it will wake up the car when near. In my other BMWs, pressing the start/stop button twice would shut down everything, but this doesn't seem to be possible with the m340.
Work around

1: set it so it will lock as you walk away
2:"turn it off car" manually ... (push up on Idrive and it's in the menu)
3: don't open your car door until you turn off the engine
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2019, 04:53 AM   #31
BMWm340ixC1X
Private
Rep
Drives: 08BMW335xia22

I don't use CarPlay because I wasn't going to pay for it so I didn't want to rely on it but since it's going to be free lol
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #32
DanUMEL
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 340 Xdrive

340 Xdrive is an awful car

I upgraded from a F30 335 to G20 340Xdrive.
Its done 3000Kms in 8 months but has been back for repairs 5 times.
1. Driver assist system failed and the car drifted across to the next lane
2. No Signal error popping up on dash. Having to do hard reboots
3. Park assist system failed. Had to replace sensors and reinstall software
4. Lane change system failed
5. Sunroof rattles and after removing the headliner 3 times - BMW still can't fix the issue.
My recommendation is not to buy this car if anyone is planning to.

Last edited by DanUMEL; 11-09-2020 at 10:23 PM.. Reason: Grammar
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2021, 03:21 PM   #33
nbravo
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92

I am about to trade in my non stop leaking 2014 435I with 49k miles. They are giving me 19k for it, not too bad seeing’s i owe 20k. I always lose on trades a little with bmw

Anyway I’m getting a 2020 mineral grey M340. June 2019. Was driven on a lease limited to 10.5k mer year, he got out at 16.5k miles.

Clean vin no recalls, drives insane. Software seemed good to go for now, i looked at the service bulletin since it is a CPO. I still have 2 years left of the bunker to bumper and then the 3rd year of cpo warranty which is likely not bumper to bumper. I’ll get an extended that is for sure.

My question is do you want guys really think these are a mess? All of them? At 16k miles on a lease being checked and serviced with no repairs but i think one software update looking thing, it seems clean. We all know that having a bmw means sometimes you have no car for a month. Both of mine have been that way in past.

Wouldn’t your think that if it is in tip top shape now it will be good to go and problems would be ideal identified by now? Or with the warranty i should be fine for at least the 2-3 years and be low mileage anyway? Super hard to say.

Anyone here since back in 2019 when this thread first started end up getting everything worked out real easy and went well in long run or was it a nightmare?

I want to get the car and my 2014 is basically a lemon. If i were in California i could get a lemon law check right now for being in shop for 30 days oil leaks all over the place. They are saying porous cylinder heads and replacing the heads under my warranty ok the trade. I feel happy to get away from that since the metal is porous, makes me think what if the block is too? If the metal casting on the car was bad in one place why not the rest. I had to get a 2020 and be a mess again. Aren’t CPO’s so legit? It is it a joke how the certify the things? Do you think i should ask them to do a software update right away before i take the care or check it all? ,
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2021, 01:55 AM   #34
ovesund
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: i4 e40, i3 60Ah, G20 330e

Just out of curiosity, are the cars with all the listed issues German or Mexican built?
Can't say that I have experienced any of the problems listed in this thread except for the occasional bug in idrive, which a reboot fixes temporarily at least. The most frequent bug for me is that connected drive loses contact with the car which is kind of annoying but not really a deal breaker for me at least.
Appreciate 0