Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Using Sport Plus Mode in the city

08-23-2020, 05:52 PM   #23
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

Is it OK to drive in sport plus for long durations during break-in period? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2020, 08:05 PM   #24
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW11 View Post
Is it OK to drive in sport plus for long durations during break-in period? Thanks.
I'd say if you are trying to properly break-in the car to avoid Sport Plus at all. According to the manual it says to keep it under 4500 rpm and the shift points in sport plus get close or go above that.

During my break-in I kept it mostly in comfort mode and sometimes I'd go into Sport but be careful about applying too much throttle.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 1
BMW11278.00
      08-23-2020, 08:33 PM   #25
blackcoffee
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW m340i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC_340i View Post
Quote:
I'd say if you are trying to properly break-in the car to avoid Sport Plus at all. According to the manual it says to keep it under 4500 rpm and the shift points in sport plus get close or go above that.

During my break-in I kept it mostly in comfort mode and sometimes I'd go into Sport but be careful about applying too much throttle.
I'm about 300 miles from finishing break in. I've been doing most of driving in comfort but I've used sport plus a few times for some fun. I understand the need for break in but I find it a little suspect that an engine like the b58 would face future dilemmas if subjected to some spirited driving prior to 1300 miles. Fingers crossed I'm not wrong...
Appreciate 1
BMW11278.00
      08-23-2020, 09:44 PM   #26
BMW11
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340

oh no, the reason I asked was because I was driving in sport plus all day about 50 miles total mixed city and highway. I had it on sport plus the last time I ran it for very short distance just to try it, and it saved that setting when I started it up today, I thought it was in sport individual but it was actually in sport plus. I didn't even realize it until I got home music was loud. In hindsight I did notice it seemed more peppy today then usual. Hope I didn't cause damage. I looked in the owners manual and it did not say to avoid sport plus mode during break-in period... I did not notice if I went past 4500rpm because it's hard to see it on the stupid tach (red against red going backwards) with bright sunshine in my eyes. I know I didn't exceed 60-65 mph and didn't do any fast launches but I did exit highways and don't know how much the revs climbed up to while it downshifted from 65 to 30mph on exit ramps... How worried should I be about this? Hope I did not ruin anything in the B58 because I am still in the middle of break in period. I'm mad at myself for not realizing this before it was too late to stop. When I got home and radio was off as I pulled into garage I saw sport plus instead of sport individual and my nice ride put a frown on my face when I saw sport plus I was like oh no my poor motor what did I do to you. Listening to rock and roll music loud didn't help me any in hearing the revs...

Last edited by BMW11; 08-23-2020 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 1
      08-23-2020, 10:04 PM   #27
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

I am now averaging 15 or so but I realize that I drive this car in the higher RPM's almost exclusively. Bouncing off the limiter and now I get why mine is so low compared to others but this is how I drive.

This is what makes it fun, if I was to drive at low RPM's exclusively, the car would be boring since I don't have a manual. Driving at full RPM's and the car being so eager to rev combined with the RWD, getting the tail to step out etc is what makes this car fun.
eluded3005.00
Germanauto9698.00
      08-24-2020, 01:21 AM   #28
eluded
2JZ-GTE
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 340 6MT, 50e, others

Loosened traction control and extra burbles for the win.
Appreciate 2
EXE462100.00
      08-24-2020, 11:14 AM   #29
wtwo3
Major General
Rep
Drives: 23 X7 40i; 23 M3; 24 cooper s

Garage List
Quote:
oh no, the reason I asked was because I was driving in sport plus all day about 50 miles total mixed city and highway. I had it on sport plus the last time I ran it for very short distance just to try it, and it saved that setting when I started it up today, I thought it was in sport individual but it was actually in sport plus. I didn't even realize it until I got home music was loud. In hindsight I did notice it seemed more peppy today then usual. Hope I didn't cause damage. I looked in the owners manual and it did not say to avoid sport plus mode during break-in period... I did not notice if I went past 4500rpm because it's hard to see it on the stupid tach (red against red going backwards) with bright sunshine in my eyes. I know I didn't exceed 60-65 mph and didn't do any fast launches but I did exit highways and don't know how much the revs climbed up to while it downshifted from 65 to 30mph on exit ramps... How worried should I be about this? Hope I did not ruin anything in the B58 because I am still in the middle of break in period. I'm mad at myself for not realizing this before it was too late to stop. When I got home and radio was off as I pulled into garage I saw sport plus instead of sport individual and my nice ride put a frown on my face when I saw sport plus I was like oh no my poor motor what did I do to you. Listening to rock and roll music loud didn't help me any in hearing the revs...
You'll be fine.

'20 BMW m340i... '20 BMW X5 40i... '16 Infiniti Q50 RS 400... '10 Lexus RX 350... '08 Lexus IS 350... '00 Nissan Maxima... '93 Nissan Maxima
Appreciate 1
BMW11278.00
      08-24-2020, 11:50 AM   #30
NYC_340i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M340i xDrive, '11 X3 28i

Quote:
No need to worry. You should be fine and I don't think there will be any issues. I too might have once or twice gone over 4500 rpm during break-in on accident.

I'd be more concerned for the people who literally would floor it and do launches right off the dealer lot on a car with > 50 miles on it.

Current: 2020 M340xi
Previous: 2016 340xi
Appreciate 3
wtwo317945.00
BMW11278.00
      08-27-2020, 08:02 PM   #31
TheRetroGuy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin_Nicholas View Post
Why are we mincing over MPG in a vehicle that costs $65k+?

Just drive the car. Who gives two shits about the MPG.
I can only speak for myself, but I can tell you my thoughts on why I care. When I spend money on a vehicle, I'm able to quantify "this or that feature is worth X amount of dollars to me".

But fuel is an ongoing cost with an unknown price. Changes in the oil market can cause it to fluctuate... I guess I don't like the unpredictability. The other unknown variable is that since I cannot accurately predict how many miles I will be driving (COVID for example dramatically dropped how many I would have guessed earlier this year.... a new job role change could dramatically increase it), things like lease mileage and gas create this uncertainty that a planning mind doesn't find comfort in.

Analogy time... I don't mind to go out and buy a $5,000 synthesizer or other musical gear, but if the thing drains $30 worth of electricity a month, then someone who designs a $6,000 synthesizer that only eats $12 worth electricity seems like it has a much smarter designer behind it and is more worthy of my purchase, assuming the sound quality of each strikes my ear similarly.

Point is, there is purchase of value and then there is throwing money out the window. More gas consumption is not value, it's just throwing money out the window which epitomizes stupid to some folks at least, and therefore MPG is important (to some of us).

I do get what you're saying. It's valid (even to me up to a certain point.
Appreciate 1
ovesund80.50
      08-29-2020, 05:52 AM   #32
del82
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

You need to vary the engine speed during break in.

Get the car up to temp and then put in sport mode so it holds the gears more. This way you avoid sitting at 1-2rpm all the time which doesn't help the break in. As long as you keep under 4.5rpm and don't floor it she'll be fine.

I vary between comfort and sport individual.
BMW11278.00
      01-25-2021, 07:52 PM   #33
josehb
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C Tanzanite Blue

Does sport mode opens the exhaust flap or do we need to get the Bimmerlink app top to open the exhaust flap.

I'm sure sport + opens then.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:23 PM   #34
CrownRoyal79
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedKloud View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace159 View Post
Mercedes has it too with their performance exhaust. Sports plus has a lot more of a response with the exhaust.
You might want to try Engine in Sport Plus with Transmission in Sport.
That's what I like to do. And turn off DSC and tap the gear shift to the left to put it in sport mode. That's as close to Sport+ as you can get but the car is a lot more manageable to drive in stop and go traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 07:57 PM   #35
M340Why
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

Nothing wrong with driving in Sport+ all the time if you're stock. The computer in the car is engineered to prevent it from reaching its actual limits, hence why the tuning market exists. I think the only noticeable issue is you'll go through tires faster since the throttle response is increased and the traction control is loosened up. I've driven all my cars in Sport the majority of the time and usually go through tires faster than usual (Especially a soft tire like the Michelin Pilot Sport)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2021, 10:37 PM   #36
BobTheBimmer
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xdrive

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
I'd be more concerned for the people who literally would floor it and do launches right off the dealer lot on a car with > 50 miles on it.
Dude, I laughed hard at your last statement!
So true!
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #37
craigox
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d m sport

Sport plus mode

Hi all

Searched the forum for an answer to this to no obvious avail. I bought a g21 320d m sport recently which is a fabulous car but I cannot find a sport plus mode on it. I have eco pro, comfort, sport and adaptive modes with respective individual profiles. I've tried tapping or holding the sport mode button down on the centre console but with no change. I didn't know if it was something only specced on the models higher than this?

I'm not sure if Sport plus gives much more over sport anyway. Any explanation or help appreciated?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 04:25 AM   #38
franky818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 2010 , g20 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigox View Post
Hi all

Searched the forum for an answer to this to no obvious avail. I bought a g21 320d m sport recently which is a fabulous car but I cannot find a sport plus mode on it. I have eco pro, comfort, sport and adaptive modes with respective individual profiles. I've tried tapping or holding the sport mode button down on the centre console but with no change. I didn't know if it was something only specced on the models higher than this?

I'm not sure if Sport plus gives much more over sport anyway. Any explanation or help appreciated?
Sport + Is coded through BimmerCode . Look up a guide in YouTube . It's a must!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 05:11 AM   #39
eddiehaug
Lieutenant
Norway
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
2023 BMW i4M50  [0.00]
Bad for the environment for sure and for the pedestrians in the city. Why polluting more when you can pollute less? Not sure how it makes sense if you can avoid it. You might as well swallow the fact that you cannot show off your shiny new car by rev'ing it up and let the exhaust annoy everyone except from you, and rather leave that enjoyment for the highway and for yourself.

As Kevin Hart tells his kids in one of his comedy specials: nobody gives a f*ck about you outside the house; you step out, and literally nobody cares about you. I think the same applies to cars. Aside from us sitting inside, nobody gives two cents about how cool our car is or sounds. Moreover, you have more chances of getting people to think you're a jerk by creating both air and sound pollution in the city than of impressing someone. And since you can enjoy it as much (if not more) on the highway, why not doing so instead.

This is just my opinion anyway, and I don't live in the US. I've been there several times though and I don't see how an American city is different to any other city I've visited elsewhere.

Previous BMWs: 330e Touring xDrive (G21, 2021), 330e (G20, 2019), 530e (G30, 2018).
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:32 AM   #40
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaug View Post
This is just my opinion anyway, and I don't live in the US. I've been there several times though and I don't see how an American city is different to any other city I've visited elsewhere.
Ahh and this is where you are wrong. Trust me, plenty of Americans enjoy being A-holes, especially ones that drive BMWs unfortunately. You haven't been to the right cities. I've never traveled to Norway (though I'd love to), but I'm pretty sure people there are much more caring about others when it comes to things like this, just sayin'.....
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #41
seelark
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e M Sport Plus

I know one thing, when I go drinking in the city, I ain't looking for the loudest woman that can down a pint in 10 seconds 😉
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #42
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelark View Post
I know one thing, when I go drinking in the city, I ain't looking for the loudest woman that can down a pint in 10 seconds 😉
No, you look for the ones with a lower back tattoo.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2021, 09:52 AM   #43
M340Why
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i

One thing to keep in mind though is being a performance turbo engine driving in Sport+ will burn more oil so don’t be surprised if you have to add more before your scheduled maintenance interval.
Appreciate 0