Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
Technical Topics Suspension / Chassis / Brakes Bilstein released their EVO S/SE suspension kit for G20

01-02-2021, 06:05 PM   #23
njfoses
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M850i, 22 X6 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDudeMan View Post
I'm looking into it. Just contacted Turner Motorsport to see which they thought was better, the EVO S or KW V1 for my application which is prominently DD duty with occasional spirit lol.
My 330i is a DD as well. Bilstein has been around forever, but this evo line is brand new and only a 5 yr warranty vs lifetime warranty on their previous comparable product lines. The KW V1 has a lifetime warranty but have read about QC and lack of customer service from KW at times.

I am a few months out from making a decision as i am going to replace my tires at the same time and maybe there will be other options. Right now i am leaning towards the EVO S.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2021, 08:16 AM   #24
OffK
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 m340i Xdrive

Anyone install these?

I have seen some pictures of KWs and the drop is a bit more than I am looking for, even at its highest setting.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2021, 08:27 PM   #25
definitelydan
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 320i

Bilstein EVO S Review

Hi there,

Thought i'd give a quick review on the Bilstein Evo S.

I'm driving a 320i/ B48 on stock suspension (non M-sport) and recently swapped to the Evo S 2 weeks ago.

The ride is now quite firm but pliant at high speeds. At low speeds the ride is less forgiving (you can feel every bump on the road) and the car has hit the bump stops when hitting sharp bumps or potholes (its a very jarring jolt through the cabin - now i avoid potholes like the plague) - the ride height has been adjusted to the highest setting but this hasnt stopped the bottoming out.

As a next step, i'm looking to change to m-sport bump stops, to give the dampers more travel and hopefully this will reduce instances of bottoming out.

Overall i would say this setup is a lot less forgiving than the B12 prokit which i had on my previous F20 BMW.
Appreciate 3
njfoses288.00
oln0881.50
      05-25-2021, 09:33 AM   #26
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i xDrive, 2023 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by definitelydan View Post
Hi there,

I'm driving a 320i/ B48 on stock suspension (non M-sport) and recently swapped to the Evo S 2 weeks ago.

The ride is now quite firm but pliant at high speeds. At low speeds the ride is less forgiving (you can feel every bump on the road) and the car has hit the bump stops when hitting sharp bumps or potholes (its a very jarring jolt through the cabin - now i avoid potholes like the plague) - the ride height has been adjusted to the highest setting but this hasnt stopped the bottoming out.

As a next step, i'm looking to change to m-sport bump stops, to give the dampers more travel and hopefully this will reduce instances of bottoming out.

Overall i would say this setup is a lot less forgiving than the B12 prokit which i had on my previous F20 BMW.
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the Dinan bumpstops will work? I have them on my car with the springs and it definitely allows for full suspension travel and the beefier bump stops absorbs the impact much better than the stock version. I have the M Sport suspension and the ride quality definitely improved.
      05-26-2021, 04:57 AM   #27
definitelydan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeegunkim View Post
Thanks for the feedback. Maybe the Dinan bumpstops will work? I have them on my car with the springs and it definitely allows for full suspension travel and the beefier bump stops absorbs the impact much better than the stock version. I have the M Sport suspension and the ride quality definitely improved.
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll keep the Dinan bump stops in mind. You’re on the Dinan lowering springs + bump stops combination?

I’ll probably try for the Dinans if the ride doesn’t improve with the msport bump stops. I hope Dinan ships to where I live (in Singapore)
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #28
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll keep the Dinan bump stops in mind. You’re on the Dinan lowering springs + bump stops combination?

I’ll probably try for the Dinans if the ride doesn’t improve with the msport bump stops. I hope Dinan ships to where I live (in Singapore)
Yup, I'm on their springs and bump stops and the bump stops definitely made an improvement.
      05-26-2021, 09:07 AM   #29
definitelydan
Rep

Quote:
Yup, I'm on their springs and bump stops and the bump stops definitely made an improvement.
Do you happen to have photos of both sets of bump stops?
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2021, 12:06 PM   #30
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Do you happen to have photos of both sets of bump stops?
Unfortunately I don't as they're installed on the car but I can confirm that the pictures on Dinan's website is accurate.
      05-26-2021, 08:58 PM   #31
definitelydan
Rep

Quote:
Unfortunately I don't as they're installed on the car but I can confirm that the pictures on Dinan's website is accurate.
Ah ok thanks. I wanted to know if dinan’s bump stops are significantly shorter than the msport ones
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2021, 08:10 AM   #32
jeegunkim
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ah ok thanks. I wanted to know if dinan’s bump stops are significantly shorter than the msport ones
I wouldn't say significantly shorter but enough to allow full suspension travel.
      06-07-2021, 08:31 PM   #33
definitelydan
Rep

I've swapped the stock bump stops with the msport bump stops. There's about 1.5 cm difference in the length of the bump stops (see pic).

Also from the pic you can see that the strut has hit the bump stops several times (blackish top) - the stock bump stops were practically new when fitting the bilsteins. hopefully this resolves the bottoming out issue.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2021, 02:09 AM   #34
definitelydan
Rep

Unfortunately I’m still experiencing bottoming out with the m sport bump stops. I might consider trimming the bump stops as a last resort ..
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 10:06 PM   #35
gaoxing84
Rep
Drives: 318i G20

still waiting for bilstein to get back on your issue. hope they solve it
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #36
frankiej90
F20 M140i sold, G20 330i
Rep
Drives: F20M140i,G20 330i,F80 M3

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for sharing. Must be the spring rate on these EVO S kit, did you feel the firm ride mostly from rear dampers? Not sure if you have adaptive or passive suspension on your G20 from stock? How would they compare?
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2021, 09:22 PM   #37
oln08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2

Quote:
Hi there,

Thanks for this. I've been considering this for my G20 but it seems like my hunt is on again. Wonder why cant they just make B8s for G20.
Eibach springs and B8s have been perfect for my F30.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2021, 03:53 AM   #38
definitelydan
Rep

long term review

Hi all,

Some updates since i've had this set of Bilstein Evo S coilovers installed for several months.

The initial months were crazy/impossible to drive as the car kept bottoming out, no matter how much we shortened the bump stops.

I had gone to the workshop at least 6-7 times to adjust the ride height settings on the coilovers, with the hope of solving the issue, and also trying different bump stops.

I'm happy to say that the bottoming out issues have been resolved.

My workshop even arranged for a complete return of these coils, to be exchanged with a new set. The new set is a lot more pliant, without the bumpiness over small road imperfections thats the previous set had. These are still harsher, than say a b12 prokit, but i can live with these.

I also notice that the included instructions/ride height settings were slightly different. My guess is that the earlier batch may have had issues.

The trick to this set of coilovers is setting the ride height at the lowest/near lowest setting (based on my layman understanding, this gives the springs the least amount of pre-load, at the expense of shock travel), paired with the msport bump stops.

At the higher height settings, the shocks bottom out way too easily, even over modest road imperfections.

For those who are interested, at the lowest setting, the wheels are more or less flush with the fender - i'm on the sport kit and i have about 5.5" of clearance up front, so that's still plenty (in my books).

Hope this helps.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 1
njfoses288.00
      12-29-2021, 10:48 PM   #39
Logicoeur
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Quote:
Hi all,

Some updates since i've had this set of Bilstein Evo S coilovers installed for several months.

The initial months were crazy/impossible to drive as the car kept bottoming out, no matter how much we shortened the bump stops.

I had gone to the workshop at least 6-7 times to adjust the ride height settings on the coilovers, with the hope of solving the issue, and also trying different bump stops.

My workshop even arranged for a complete return of these coils, to be exchanged with a new set. The new set is a lot more pliant, without the bumpiness over small road imperfections thats the previous set had. These are still harsher, than say a b12 prokit, but i can live with these.

I also notice that the included instructions/ride height settings were slightly different. My guess is that the earlier batch may have had issues.

The trick to this set of coilovers is setting the ride height at the lowest/near lowest setting (based on my layman understanding, this gives the springs the least amount of pre-load, at the expense of shock travel), paired with the msport bump stops.

At the higher height settings, the shocks bottom out way too easily, even over modest road imperfections.

For those who are interested, at the lowest setting, the wheels are more or less flush with the fender - i'm on the sport kit and i have about 5.5" of clearance up front, so that's still plenty (in my books).

Hope this helps.

https://imgur.com/a/9o9OWEJ
How does it make sense that they bottom out when you are higher? Do you have that backwards?
F30 335iX | Remus Axleback | Fabspeed Catted DP | VRSF Comp IC | 18X9 ET35 19lb MT1 | 255/40/18 ECS | Ohlins RT Millway Street | Millway Control Arm Bushings | Turner Endlinks | TMH 75mm 14x1.5 Studs | BMW MPerf LSD | XDelete | Pipercross Filter | MHD Stg2 93
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 08:21 PM   #40
definitelydan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicoeur View Post
How does it make sense that they bottom out when you are higher? Do you have that backwards?
i use 'bottom out' loosely - broadly i mean the shocks rebound in a very stiff manner, resulting in a very loud 'bang' that can be heard/felt in the cabin. This could be either due to the shocks 'bottoming out' aka hitting the bump stops (no more travel) or a very stiff rebound.

The EVO S coilovers are partially threaded (as opposed to fully threaded), so setting the ride height higher increases the preload on the springs - resulting in a very harsh ride.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2022, 07:14 PM   #41
alienz
Rep
Drives: G20 320i M-Sport

Quote:
i use 'bottom out' loosely - broadly i mean the shocks rebound in a very stiff manner, resulting in a very loud 'bang' that can be heard/felt in the cabin. This could be either due to the shocks 'bottoming out' aka hitting the bump stops (no more travel) or a very stiff rebound.

The EVO S coilovers are partially threaded (as opposed to fully threaded), so setting the ride height higher increases the preload on the springs - resulting in a very harsh ride.
Thanks for sharing definitelydan . I am on msport without adaptive suspension and while I like the firm ride, my wife have been constantly harping on how uncomfortable it is compared to my previous ride.

was considering the evo s for a replacement but now i am having second thoughts. hmm
I definitely do not want to go lower than the current height.
Appreciate 1
cps14.50
      01-22-2022, 01:49 AM   #42
definitelydan
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alienz View Post
Thanks for sharing definitelydan . I am on msport without adaptive suspension and while I like the firm ride, my wife have been constantly harping on how uncomfortable it is compared to my previous ride.

was considering the evo s for a replacement but now i am having second thoughts. hmm
I definitely do not want to go lower than the current height.
Yes you would have to go quite low for the EVO S in order for the coilovers to be pliant - else they will be very crashy.

Fingers crossed i havent any scrapes or cracked front lips yet..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 11:50 AM   #43
mixmastermo
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Sooo I was thinking about dropping my car a bit to get better handling and wheelgap. After reading this thread, I am not sure I want to any more.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2022, 11:37 AM   #44
Cheech666
Enlisted Member
Brazil
Rep
Drives: Bmw 330i audi rs5 bmw m135i

Quote:
Hi all,

Hope this helps.

https://imgur.com/a/9o9OWEJ
Brother do you know the serial number for the new evo s kit you got ? Im hopping on the adventure of getting evo s kits and i dont want to make the same mistake although im on m sport suspension