Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions High Pitched Chirping Sound From Front With AC Running

08-26-2023, 05:57 PM   #1
nimonery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

High Pitched Chirping Sound From Front With AC Running

Hi everyone,

2020 330i. Has anyone experienced a high pitched chirping coming from the front vents while the AC fans are on? Happens intermittently but still very frequently and its driving me insane. I'm still under warranty and was finally able to get an appointment in with the dealer but of course while it was with them it decided not to do it.

The sound is loudest if you listen close under the passenger footwell. I've heard from people that possibly the flap for the air re circulation could be stuck if the cabin air filter was not properly installed before. It seems to speed up with increased fan speed but at max fans the fan noise drowns it out so it is most noticeable around mid-low fan speed.

I feel like this could be solved with a bit of silicon lubricant spray on the center of the blower fans... Does anyone know how accessible these are to get to?

Here is the video for reference

Thanks
Appreciate 1
      10-23-2023, 02:20 PM   #2
GOTOFMS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

I just had my blower motor replaced for the same issue. I believe its a bad bearing.

Name:  Screenshot 2023-10-23 152049.png
Views: 490
Size:  53.2 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2023, 04:39 PM   #3
nimonery
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOTOFMS View Post
I just had my blower motor replaced for the same issue. I believe its a bad bearing.

Attachment 3306180
Glad you were able to get yours replaced. I ended up taking out the blower motor and giving it a nice coat of silicone lubricant all over the bearing/center and the squeak is gone - for now. I might regret not pushing harder to get a replacement under warranty if/when it comes back but oh well at least its not annoying me anymore.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2024, 06:23 PM   #4
msandonato23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimonery View Post
Glad you were able to get yours replaced. I ended up taking out the blower motor and giving it a nice coat of silicone lubricant all over the bearing/center and the squeak is gone - for now. I might regret not pushing harder to get a replacement under warranty if/when it comes back but oh well at least its not annoying me anymore.
i am having this same issue with my 2021, and i was wondering how you went about removing the blower motor? did you have to take the glove box out, or am i missing something? there's so little info online about this for the g20, and i don't want to go breaking stuff... lol
Appreciate 0