Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Photos / Videos / Journals My thoughts - 2020 G20 M340i xDrive versus 2017 F30 340i xDrive w/MPPSK

09-16-2019, 04:54 PM   #1
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i xDrive

Garage List
My thoughts - 2020 G20 M340i xDrive versus 2017 F30 340i xDrive w/MPPSK

On Saturday I took delivery of my Portimao Blue 2020 M340i xDrive.

For the last 3 years I've been driving a F30 2017 Estoril Blue II 340i xDrive.

First a pic!

More pics here:
View post on imgur.com

I've test drove an M340i xDrive twice, once in May/June timeframe and once more recently in August at the M-Town Tour Event. Now being in the car for ~2 days or so (didn't really drive it on Sunday) - wanted to give my first impressions along with some of the important differences I've noticed so far between the F30 and G20 that might be useful for owners coming over from the F30.

Differences between the F30 and G20:

Sport Plus - In the F30, Sport Plus is Sport mode with Traction Control in "Dynamic Mode", in other words it was not fully disabled, just 1-step off. In the G20, Sport Plus is actually a different mode, and in Sport Individual the Transmission and Engine can be put into Comfort, Sport or Sport Plus. Stupid me, I didn't realize this and I was disappointed that the transmission shifts in Sport Transmission Mode were not more firm - until I noticed in Sport Individual mode I had Engine/Transmission set to Sport. The transmission shifts were a lot better in Sport Plus and the Engine also felt more responsive (probably just a pedal mapping) in Sport Plus. AFAIK, Sport Plus does not disable Traction Control, you do that with the Traction Control button.

Traction Control - when you press the traction control button once and it puts it into Dynamic Mode - it is a lot different than the F30 xDrive. If you've read up at all on the M340i I'm sure you know there is a Limited Slip Differential - and maybe I just wasn't prepared for it, but I took a right turn I'm familiar with, and drove it the way I'd drive my F30, which in Sport Plus mode (Traction Control in Dynamic Mode), the car would slide just a little before the fronts got more power and pulled the car straight. Not so in the M340i - it took me by surprise when the car slide quite a bit! This is a good thing! With Traction Control on, it actually acts more like Dynamic Mode in the F30.

Steering - on my F30 I always thought it was weird that at low speeds in Sport mode, the steering was super heavy, and as you started to go faster, it got lighter. I always wanted it to sort of be the other way around - add weight when I'm moving faster so the car doesn't dart. The M340i - even though it shares the same steering rack with my F30 (only the 330i gets the new steering rack), it still feels better and makes more sense. In Sport mode, it doesn't seem overly heavy at low speed and feels nicely weighted at speed (although admittedly, I haven't done a lot of driving for long periods of time at highway speeds). There still isn't a lot of feedback, but I'm not sure you should really expect a lot of feedback. But I like the weight of the steering, it is good and something I dislike on competing models like the C43 AMG (it is way too light on the C43).

Suspension - I had the adaptive suspension in both. I really disliked the adaptive suspension on the F30 in Sport mode, it always felt overly harsh and didn't really feel like it helped that much with handling. The G20 - the suspension in Sport mode is not as harsh, can't say for sure if it really handles better than in comfort mode - but its more live-able for sure.

Quirks - I liked the F30 for some of its German quirks / features. The temperature wheel that allowed you to blow warm or cold air from the front vents for example - gone. That the unlock/lock all doors was just one button and it was in the center of the dash - gone. Honestly, it is more logical now I guess - but there is an unlock and lock button now on the door and gone is the temperature wheel.

Also - the HVAC fans - in the F30, if you were in Auto mode, you turned the fans all the way to the max and it would adjust the fans to what it thought was best to get to the right temperature. In the G20, it seems to me like the fan setting needs to be in the middle to achieve this - at least that seems to be my experience so far. Turning it up, just increased the fan speed immediately.

I also can't seem to prevent the passenger side mirror from tilting down in reverse - it might be a setting in iDrive, but the old way of having the side mirror adjustment set to the middle or the left doesn't seem to work.

Not sure if I like the power sunshade on the sunroof? It wasn't a hassle to open it manually, and it is slower to open now with the power sunshade. But the sunroof is quite a bit bigger, not a panorama sunroof though.

The center headrest in the back seat blocks my view of the rear. I lowered it as much as I can, but I still can't see too well. Maybe I'm too short I might take it out entirely.

Engine - I haven't really pushed the car much - the B58 with MPPSK always felt really fast to me though - like throw you back into your seat, not sure if it is gearing, but the B58 in the M340i doesn't seem like that. I know it is faster, it just doesn't feel like it so far. The Automated Stop/Start (ASS) is a lot less intrusive in this car - I hardly notice when the engine turns off and on. I thought I'd want to code it out right away, but so far it hasn't been a problem.

Exhaust - MPPSK exhaust is hands down better. The M340i's exhaust is too quiet for me even in Sport Plus mode. I'm hoping as the exhaust breaks in that it will get louder (the M-Town one I test drove with more miles definitely was louder) - but even though there are some burbles, I haven't heard any pops and bangs like you do on the MPPSK. I know the MPPSK is "aftermarket", but considering the C43 AMG comes with an awesome sounding exhaust - BMW should have put the same or similar MPPSK exhaust on the M340i.

Technology - Humongous step up in this area. The touchscreen infotainment screen is great (the 2017 did not have a touchscreen), and it is a lot closer to you, although location wise it is better for touch, because it is lower down it makes it harder to see at a glance as compared to the F30's higher up screen.

iDrive 7 has so many more options than iDrive 5. Lots of customization. The HUD is also much improved, a lot bigger, and it actually uses more colors. Having the tach in the HUD makes up for the tach being backwards in the digital dash.

The automated driving / parking modes are pretty cool. I've backed into a spot once using it, and I've tried driving using the assisted driving. I can't seem to get it to drive at speeds below 37mph without it asking me to touch the steering wheel though - I thought there was a semi-autonomous driving mode at speeds below 37mph where it allows you to drive hands free but looking at the road. Maybe it only works on certain roads?

Fit/Finish/Materials - huge step up in my opinion. The F30 had some areas where things felt cheap - one area that always irks me is the transmission tunnel on the driver and passenger sides is hollow and has a hard plastic. If you run your nails over it or tap on it, it makes a really cheap sound. I'm sure if I search for it, I'll still find cheap materials in places - but this car feels head over feet better than the F30.

What else? If anyone has any questions, let me know - I'm happy to answer them. Will update as I learn more, can form more opinions.

Overall, I honestly cannot believe the improvements in tech and materials along with performance improvements to this car for what is essentially a small increase in price over my 2017 340i - and when you consider I'm paying less per month on a lease for this car, with more options than my 2017 it is even more impressive.

Time will tell on how well the car and materials hold up, and hopefully I'll be able to push the car some more once I finish break in and see the performance but this is a good car imho!

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 09-16-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Appreciate 8
Poochie9099.00
Pauleebe379.50
zamboni1124.50
A6bullet336.00
geddylee176.00
      09-16-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
alpinewhite3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Currently searching

[/QUOTE]I also can't seem to prevent the passenger side mirror from tilting down in reverse - it might be a setting in iDrive, but the old way of having the side mirror adjustment set to the middle or the left doesn't seem to work.[/QUOTE]

Sort of counter intuitive but move the switch all the way to the right and passenger mirror won't come down. Put it to left and it comes down.
Appreciate 2
Pauleebe379.50
      09-16-2019, 05:13 PM   #3
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhite3 View Post
Sort of counter intuitive but move the switch all the way to the right and passenger mirror won't come down. Put it to left and it comes down.
Thank you!

Last edited by Liquid_Ice; 09-16-2019 at 05:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2019, 06:55 PM   #4
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Congrats!
      09-17-2019, 02:19 AM   #5
ubchariot
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M340i xdrive

regarding the exhaust, I just got a news from my CA that the m performance exhaust is available for m340i for port install!! can't wait to hear it.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 05:44 AM   #6
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubchariot View Post
regarding the exhaust, I just got a news from my CA that the m performance exhaust is available for m340i for port install!! can't wait to hear it.
Lucky! Please take videos and share!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:00 AM   #7
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

The exhaust wakes up the most in sport plus and when driving aggressively. If you're not pushing the engine yet you might not hear much from it. The first time I went full WOT and it made loud cracks on the up shifts I was really impressed. You'll also find the power in there when you start putting your foot down.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 08:41 AM   #8
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
- I liked the F30 for some of its German quirks / features. The temperature wheel that allowed you to blow warm or cold air from the front vents for example - gone.
Changed to the iDrive menu. Get to it quickly via the CC display menu button.
Appreciate 1
      09-17-2019, 11:42 AM   #9
DBLDNon11
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 xDrive40i

Excellent write up. I'm in the EXACT same situation as you. Will be wrapping up the lease in my '17 340xi MPPSK next spring and likely into a M340xi. Thinking TBII over Cognac after 6 years of Mineral Gray over Coral Red (had a '14 335xi MPPK previously).
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 03:02 PM   #10
xlover
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X7 40i

Re: power feel

One piece of food for thought on MPPSK from the F3X series... it remaps your throttle/transmission settings vs the standard engine tune so comfort is closer to sport, sport is closer to sport plus, sport plus closer to.... more sport plus?

my theory is the M340 being a base car probably resets these back so sport on the M340 is probably the comparitive to comfort in the MPPSK F3X
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #11
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlover View Post
Re: power feel

One piece of food for thought on MPPSK from the F3X series... it remaps your throttle/transmission settings vs the standard engine tune so comfort is closer to sport, sport is closer to sport plus, sport plus closer to.... more sport plus?

my theory is the M340 being a base car probably resets these back so sport on the M340 is probably the comparitive to comfort in the MPPSK F3X
I didn't think the MPPSK remapped the drive modes. Actually I remember reading with the MPPSK, the hp and tq increases only occur in Sport/Sport Plus and not in Comfort (Comfort it still runs at 330hp). Also, Sport Plus in the F30 is the exact same as Sport mode but with Traction Control set to Dynamic Mode.

On the G20, the Engine and Transmission have 3 settings (Comfort, Sport, and Sport Plus). I think you're right though - driving the G20 in Sport Plus mode is closer to driving the F30 in Sport mode.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2019, 06:39 PM   #12
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
I run mine sport individual with dampers comfort, steering comfort, engine sport plus, trans sport... feels best that way to me for driving around or to work. Have adaptive but doesn't feel like its needed most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 09:39 AM   #13
The Outrage
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquid_Ice View Post
I liked the F30 for some of its German quirks / features. The temperature wheel that allowed you to blow warm or cold air from the front vents for example - gone.
This functionality is now controlled by software. There's a setting buried somewhere in iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 10:45 AM   #14
shawntech
The Wolf
United_States
Rep
Drives: stuff

Garage List
  [0.00]
2019 BMW M850i conv ...  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Outrage View Post
This functionality is now controlled by software. There's a setting buried somewhere in iDrive.
Yea or hit menu ac on the control panel theres a software slider there.

Still dislike the functionality of it, leaving in middle when its say 58f this morning with the hvac set to 72 it was still blowing cold air thru the center vents.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
JayPichardo
BMW Client Advisor
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
I was shocked to find out the hard way how tail-happy the car is in Sport Plus.

Top M Client Advisor in New England.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 11:48 AM   #16
Tam the Bam
Grumpy Old Git
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330i RWD M Sport

Garage List
Exciting/Frightening!

Shows the electronic controls work in the other modes.

F10 520D M Sport
E60 520D SE
Volvo S60 type R
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2019, 12:25 PM   #17
EXE46
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i RWD Aka New E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Even more reason why this car should have never came with the lousy all season non staggered tires.
      09-18-2019, 02:29 PM   #18
Liquid_Ice
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPichardo View Post
Agreed - I have the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires and I was really shocked when the car wagged its tail out on a turn that my 2017 340i would just slide through the turn a little. Excited to play with this more and get used to it so I can have some fun
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 03:57 AM   #19
Newbmwguys
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Really? Is it available to everyone?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:34 AM   #20
ubchariot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbmwguys View Post
Quote:
If your car haven't reached the port ( in my case is the US port), you should be able to add it to your build. Talk to your CA about this.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
Newbmwguys
Enlisted Member
Rep

Garage List
2020 BMW M340i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If your car haven't reached the port ( in my case is the US port), you should be able to add it to your build. Talk to your CA about this.
Thanks. What if I'm eyeing a car on the dealer's lot. It would be great if it's an option to add after the fact.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2019, 10:42 AM   #22
ubchariot
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Thanks. What if I'm eyeing a car on the dealer's lot. It would be great if it's an option to add after the fact.
You should be able to do that in the future, not sure about the timeline, since BMW advertise the m performance parts as "you can add it to your car at anytime" in their youtube video.
Appreciate 0