Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Cooling ZPK package worth it?

04-14-2021, 11:30 PM   #1
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i XDrive

I skipped it because I needed space saver for non run flats. I'm never going to take a long road trip without a spare: ZPK PKG does not include space saver. Beats me as to why since it can be optioned with non-run flats. My CA has asked for the second time if I'd like to add this in before it's too late. So out of FOMO I'd like to know if there's any major noticebale difference to having this package vs not having it -- and what added benefits one can expect.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:39 PM   #2
madpistol
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M440i GC

Parking Assist doesn't allow you to have a spare? Seems like an odd omission.

Here's my 2 cents.

If you're good at parking, both parallel and rear and you trust your eyes, you don't need it. It's cool to have, though.

However, it does add an extra layer of protection for your car.

Parking sensors all around
360 degree camera
3D car view when parking.

I'm sure there are other features I'm forgetting here.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2021, 11:53 PM   #3
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zazzau View Post
I skipped it because I needed space saver for non run flats. I'm never going to take a long road trip without a spare: ZPK PKG does not include space saver. Beats me as to why since it can be optioned with non-run flats. My CA has asked for the second time if I'd like to add this in before it's too late. So out of FOMO I'd like to know if there's any major noticebale difference to having this package vs not having it -- and what added benefits one can expect.
Are you talking about ZPK (Parking Assistant Package) or ZTK (Cooling and High Performance Tire package)? Big difference.

Since you're talking about tires and the inability to get a spare, I assume you meant to say ZTK. If so, it's worth it to me and I don't care about not having a spare since it comes equipped with the M Mobility Kit (compressor w/tire sealant). You also get roadside assistance with any new BMW.

By the way, the reason you don't get the 18" spare donut is because it won't fit over the larger brakes that come with the ZTK package (19" wheels with a larger rotor and caliper).

Alternatively, if you ARE talking about the ZPK package, that's also worth it, more so for the majority of owners than the cooling and high performance package I'm sure. Having the 360 cameras alone is worth the ticket for admission IMO. Haven't used the automated parking feature yet but it's a cool concept.

Last edited by TiMSport; 04-14-2021 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 2
      04-15-2021, 12:39 AM   #4
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Sorry meant ZTK
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 12:43 AM   #5
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Quote:
Are you talking about ZPK (Parking Assistant Package) or ZTK (Cooling and High Performance Tire package)? Big difference.

Since you're talking about tires and the inability to get a spare, I assume you meant to say ZTK. If so, it's worth it to me and I don't care about not having a spare since it comes equipped with the M Mobility Kit (compressor w/tire sealant). You also get roadside assistance with any new BMW.

By the way, the reason you don't get the 18" spare donut is because it won't fit over the larger brakes that come with the ZTK package (19" wheels with a larger rotor and caliper).

Alternatively, if you ARE talking about the ZPK package, that's also worth it, more so for the majority of owners than the cooling and high performance package I'm sure. Having the 360 cameras alone is worth the ticket for admission IMO. Haven't used the automated parking feature yet but it's a cool concept.
How well do these mobility kits work? I've read mixed reviews. Having a flat on highway with family is no fun unless of course you can get roadside assistance to "fix" the tire. Also what benefits do you actually experience with this package? I don't intend on tracking at all. So just curious if there's any other reason why one would opt for it.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 03:51 AM   #6
FlowinWater
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328XI and 2021 BMW M340i

I can't complain about bigger breaks for such a powerful car. That alone is worth it to me.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 06:35 AM   #7
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340xi

Here is my opinion:
-I appreciate BMW providing bigger brakes and I wanted them. However, BMW provided no spare tire option to fit over those calipers.
-The inadequate protection for the additional oil cooler on the bottom and has been problem on other vehicles (e.x. F8X M3/M4). The risk is too high for an oil cooler puncture thus oil starving and damaging the engine.

My over all assessment:
I told BMW last year that they are loosing business because of the auxiliary support of the upgrade (cooler protection and a spare tire).
Additionally, I did not want to deal with removing the additional bottom cooler when working on the car since I do most of the maintenance after warranties.
I will probably upgrade to the CSF B58 radiators which wil provide sufficient cooling when adding power and will not be in the way of future underneath maintenance work.

I hope this helps.
      04-15-2021, 08:56 AM   #8
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by seccsc View Post
Here is my opinion:
-I appreciate BMW providing bigger brakes and I wanted them. However, BMW provided no spare tire option to fit over those calipers.
-The inadequate protection for the additional oil cooler on the bottom and has been problem on other vehicles (e.x. F8X M3/M4). The risk is too high for an oil cooler puncture thus oil starving and damaging the engine.

My over all assessment:
I told BMW last year that they are loosing business because of the auxiliary support of the upgrade (cooler protection and a spare tire).
Additionally, I did not want to deal with removing the additional bottom cooler when working on the car since I do most of the maintenance after warranties.
I will probably upgrade to the CSF B58 radiators which wil provide sufficient cooling when adding power and will not be in the way of future underneath maintenance work.

I hope this helps.
Very informative. Thanks a lot. I'll stick with my current order without the PKG -- the lack of spare alone is already a drawback for me. I've also read that 18" does not fit with this PKG. Probably OEM stock wheels will work. So if one decides to "downgrade" to 18" in the future this is something to keep in mind.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      04-15-2021, 09:08 AM   #9
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340xi

Quote:
Here is my opinion:

My over all assessment:

I hope this helps.
Appreciate this, as I hadn't read this before and I was planning on getting the package. Do you have a photo of the oil cooler and where it's located? If not, no worries. I like to work on my cars too and would have similar concerns about access.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #10
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattEcho View Post
Appreciate this, as I hadn't read this before and I was planning on getting the package. Do you have a photo of the oil cooler and where it's located? If not, no worries. I like to work on my cars too and would have similar concerns about access.
I have a question about this however. Are there any reports of the actual car in question (M340) and the additional cooler actually having issues? I have yet to hear about any. Is it the same oil cooler and not protected like the other vehicles referenced?

Also, how will it get damaged? Going over a speed bump? It's a little bit hard for me to imagine the design not being robust enough to accommodate normal driving patterns in normal environments. That would be a massive failure if so.
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2021, 10:37 AM   #11
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Here is my opinion:

My over all assessment:

I hope this helps.
The M340i's ZTK Cooling and HP Tire Package is impressive https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1602609

More information.
Of note BMW did not provide very good information on this and you will notice some of the owners found out the details after delivering their car.
      04-15-2021, 10:43 AM   #12
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I have a question about this however. Are there any reports of the actual car in question (M340) and the additional cooler actually having issues? I have yet to hear about any. Is it the same oil cooler and not protected like the other vehicles referenced?

Also, how will it get damaged? Going over a speed bump? It's a little bit hard for me to imagine the design not being robust enough to accommodate normal driving patterns in normal environments. That would be a massive failure if so.
The possibility of damage is less likely. See the link I just posted. An M3 owner brought to the attention of the forum.
Coupled with the fact of that possibility of damage and dealing with oil cooler in the way later maintenance, I made the decision not to upgrade. This is just my opinion and assessment. There are folks on here running with this upgrade with no issues.
Cheers.
      04-15-2021, 10:50 AM   #13
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
The possibility of damage is less likely. See the link I just posted. An M3 owner brought to the attention of the forum.
Coupled with the fact of that possibility of damage and dealing with oil cooler in the way later maintenance, I made the decision not to upgrade. This is just my opinion and assessment. There are folks on here running with this upgrade with no issues.
Cheers.
Yeah the part about doing your own maintenance certainly makes sense and understandable. Your decision reflects a long term use, accordingly. I was just a bit alarmed for a moment when you had mentioned the potential of puncturing the oil cooler.

I had read through some of that thread you posted, but not all the way through. When I ordered this package I too had no clue about the upgraded front brakes so that was a pleasant surprise. I mean I love how it looks with the larger rotor and caliper up front, not to mention a bit better performance as a result. It is indeed hard to understand why BMW makes no mention at all about the brakes in the description. I mean by their description, you'd naturally think it's just providing high performance non run flat tires and an extra oil cooler.
Appreciate 2
seccsc239.00
      04-15-2021, 11:04 AM   #14
Benjamin_Nicholas
BEAST? ... How dare you.
Rep
Drives: BMW, Porsche

Quote:
Normal driving won't damage it.
2023 BMW X5M
2020 BMW M340i (retired)
Appreciate 2
Blubaron791430.50
      04-15-2021, 12:04 PM   #15
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The M340i's ZTK Cooling and HP Tire Package is impressive https://g20.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1602609
Thanks for the link. Didn't read many concerned about damage or access issues though. But that cooler is huge and I can easily see how it would interfere with other work. Oh well, as long as it's properly protected, I'm fine with it.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      04-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #16
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Quote:
Here is my opinion:

My over all assessment:

I hope this helps.
Very informative. Thanks a lot. I'll stick with my current order without the PKG -- the lack of spare alone is already a drawback for me. I've also read that 18" does not fit with this PKG. Probably OEM stock wheels will work. So if one decides to "downgrade" to 18" in the future this is something to keep in mind.
I would not worry about the aux radiator. This is a rare occurrence maybe 1 or 2 members dealt with on the previous Gen cars. People like to throw a fuss about nothing.

I got the cooling pack because I track my car maybe 2-3 times a year, and the bigger brakes are worth every penny too.

I say get it. I haven't had a spare for a BMW since 2009, and I always switch out the run flats.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 2
TiMSport12786.50
zamboni1124.50
      04-15-2021, 12:26 PM   #17
seccsc
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks for the link. Didn't read many concerned about damage or access issues though. But that cooler is huge and I can easily see how it would interfere with other work. Oh well, as long as it's properly protected, I'm fine with it.
Nope, I agree. The M3 owner discussed on the link about a rock damaging the cooler which alarmed me. Debris on the road is always a hazard but alarmed me more when the cooler wasn't, IMHO, properly protected.
As far as no one discussing the concerns with maintenance later, usually the first tiered owners of these vehicles don't care due to selling at before the warranty ends or leases. It's usually the 2nd and 3rd tiered owners who deal with that. I am a person who keeps my cars for a long period of time. My first BMW was 2007 335i that I ED'd in November '06, was sold it last year after M340xi delivery(13.5 years). So, I look for the things knowing that I will have to deal with them later. The xDrive will be something I will dread dealing with but wanted. I'm sure I will be cussing my self 5-10 years from now based on that decision. 😂
      04-15-2021, 12:57 PM   #18
MattEcho
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Nope, I agree. The M3 owner discussed on the link about a rock damaging the cooler which alarmed me. Debris on the road is always a hazard but alarmed me more when the cooler wasn't, IMHO, properly protected.
As far as no one discussing the concerns with maintenance later, usually the first tiered owners of these vehicles don't care due to selling at before the warranty ends or leases. It's usually the 2nd and 3rd tiered owners who deal with that. I am a person who keeps my cars for a long period of time. My first BMW was 2007 335i that I ED'd in November '06, was sold it last year after M340xi delivery(13.5 years). So, I look for the things knowing that I will have to deal with them later. The xDrive will be something I will dread dealing with but wanted. I'm sure I will be cussing my self 5-10 years from now based on that decision. 😂
yeah, I'm with you on that. Tradeoffs I guess. I'm sure I'll remember this conversation one day when I'm under the car and that fat cooler is raking my knuckles.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00
      04-15-2021, 01:40 PM   #19
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Any significant difference in size between the bigger M sports brakes with (red calipers) and the one that comes with this PKG? I wish this was made clearer on the configurator. I opted for the M brakes w/ red calipers. Sorry if this has been asked before.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 01:57 PM   #20
davefromfla
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M440ix

Quote:
Any significant difference in size between the bigger M sports brakes with (red calipers) and the one that comes with this PKG? I wish this was made clearer on the configurator. I opted for the M brakes w/ red calipers. Sorry if this has been asked before.
Same whether blue or red with this package.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:02 PM   #21
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefromfla View Post
Quote:
Same whether blue or red with this package.
Thanks. The configurator has the red calipers described: "The M Sport brakes' large discs and larger brake pads provide excellent fade resistance and more stopping power." Didn't say anything about the blue so I simply assumed the red calipers are bigger than the blue.

Did you mean to say that the cooling package has an even bigger disc/break?
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2021, 02:03 PM   #22
zazzau
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Same here. I've had my 06 for well over 10 years now. So any such issues with coolant and what not certainly not something I want to deal with. I also went for the xDrive.
Appreciate 1
seccsc239.00