Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Introducing the 2020 BMW 330e Plug-In Hybrid

11-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Introducing the 2020 BMW 330e Plug-In Hybrid
COMMENTS
Name:  P90330010-highRes.jpg
Views: 15857
Size:  486.6 KB

Key Facts / Figures:

• 111bhp electric motor
• 181bhp two-liter inline four-cylinder gas engine
• High-voltage lithium-ion battery
• System output: 185 kW/252 hp
• XtraBoost: temporarily + 30 kW/41 hp to 215 kW
• 0-100kmh: 6.0 seconds
• Emissions: from 39g CO2 per km
• Electric-only range: up to 60km (37 miles)
• Market launch: Summer 2019

Engine portfolio supplemented for the new generation of the sports sedan with the addition of plug-in hybrid drive – electrically powered range increased as compared to predecessor model by 50 per cent to 60 kilometres* – CO2emissions reduced by more than 10 per cent – enhanced sprint power: standard XtraBoost further increases drive output on a temporary basis to as much as 30 kW/41 hp – market launch in summer 2019.

New BMW 330e Plug-In Hybrid

Name:  P90329404-highRes.jpg
Views: 16113
Size:  320.0 KB

Full Press Release:

Superior driving dynamics and exemplary efficiency are the key characteristics of the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. With the extension of the engine portfolio to include a plug-in hybrid system, these essential properties of the new sports sedan acquire an additional and especially pioneering dimension. In the new BMW 330e Sedan, the latest generation of BMW eDrive Technology is combined with a 4-cylinder petrol engine to provide a significant increase in sporty flair as well as an even more intense electrically powered driving experience. The first ever standard XtraBoost integrated in a BMW model temporarily increases the system output of the plug-in hybrid drive from 185 kW/252 hp with an addition of up to 30 kW/41 hp. In addition to spontaneity of response, this also increases the electrical range of the new BMW 330e Sedan as compared to the predecessor model by 50 per cent. It is now possible to cover a distance of up to 60 kilometres* on a locally emissions-free basis. Fuel consumption and emission figures are reduced by more than 10 per cent as compared to the predecessor model to up to 1.7 litres* per 100 kilometres and up to 39 grams* per kilometre.

In the new BMW 330e Sedan, intelligently controlled interaction between the electric motor and the combustion engine reaches a whole new level. More than ever, the electrification of the powertrain contributes not just to increased efficiency but also to creating a distinctive form of driving pleasure. The plug-in hybrid system comprises a 2.0-litre 4-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo Technology and an output of 135 kW/184 hp along with an electric motor which generates a continuous output of 50 kW/68 hp and a peak output of 83 kW/113 hp. Together, the two drive units develop a system output of 185 kW/252 hp along with a maximum system torque of 420 Nm. As a result, the new BMW 330e Sedan accelerates from zero to 100 km/h in 6.0 seconds. Its top speed is 230 km/h. In HYBRID mode, the new BMW 330e Sedan is able to reach a speed of up to 110 km/h when running on electric power alone – 30 km/h faster than the predecessor model. In ELECTRIC mode, locally emissions-free motoring is even possible at speeds of up to 140 km/h – previously: 120 km/h.

One new feature of the new BMW 330e Sedan is the standard XtraBoost, which gives the vehicle its highest level of dynamic performance. It is easy to access by activating SPORT mode using the driving experience switch. In order to support the combustion engine in dynamic driving situations, the electric motor with XtraBoost temporarily provides up to 30 kW/41 hp – stored in the high-voltage battery – in addition to its continuous output. This makes the drive characteristics available that are typical of the BMW 3 Series Sedan. For the first time in a BMW hybrid model, this includes an accelerator pedal curve that offers both maximum sporty flair and precision along with a specific shifting programme for the 8-speed Steptronic transmission complete with brake downshifts. The additional XtraBoost makes for a more intense acceleration experience than in a conventionally powered vehicle with a comparable engine output. The XtraBoost can be used up to the minimum charge status of the high voltage battery. It is also available for kickdown manoeuvres and in the M/S position of the gear selector lever.

The driving experience is accompanied by a model-specific sound design that includes highly emotional engine acoustics inside the vehicle, too. As such, the BMW 330e Sedan combines a definite sporty and dynamic orientation with the proven qualities of a plug-in hybrid model. The hybrid-specific optional equipment features of the new BMW 330e include an acoustic pedestrian protection function.

The electric motor of the new BMW 330e Sedan is integrated in the 8-speed Steptronic transmission in order to save space. Due to its intelligent design, the hybrid-specific transmission is only 15 millimetres longer than the corresponding versions for conventionally powered models of the new BMW 3 Series Sedan. Power generation achieves a particularly high level of efficiency through the recuperation of braking energy, with the electric motor taking on the function of a generator. The electrical energy fed into the high-voltage battery in this way or via connection to the power grid also serves to supply the vehicle electrical system. This means that a generator powered by the combustion engine is no longer necessary, thereby further increasing the efficiency of the system as a whole.

With a gross energy content of 12.0 kWh, the lithium-ion high-voltage battery in the new BMW 330e Sedan enables an electrically powered range of up to 60 kilometres* – 50 per cent more than that of the predecessor model. Meanwhile, fuel consumption and emissions figures are reduced by 10 per cent in the second generation of the plug-in hybrid sports sedan. These now drop to up to 1.7 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres* and up to 39 grams of CO2 per kilometre*.

The high-voltage battery in the new BMW 330e Sedan is positioned underneath the rear seats, while the fuel tank is located above the rear axle. This means that luggage compartment volume is only slightly restricted in the plug-in hybrid model. The storage volume of 375 litres can be expanded as required by means of the folding rear backrest with 40 : 20: 40 split.

In addition, virtually the entire range of optional equipment features for the new BMW 3 Series Sedan is available for the plug-in hybrid. As alternatives to the basic version, the new BMW 330e also comes in the model variants Advantage, Sport Line, Luxury Line and M Sport. Among other things it can be fitted with the Adaptive M suspension including Variable Sports Steering and the M sports brake system. The full programme of innovative driver assistance systems to optimise comfort and safety is available – ranging from Driving Assistant Professional with steering and lane guidance system to park assistant including reverse assistant. The standard trim of the new BMW 330e Sedan includes pre-heating and pre-conditioning of the interior. Here the energy of the high-voltage battery is also used to power the auxiliary heating. At low outdoor temperatures, the interior can also be conveniently heated prior to setting off – even if the battery charge status is low.For the market launch of the new BMW 330e Sedan in summer 2019, new digital services will be presented which make it more attractive and convenient to charge the battery while out and about. When selecting a public charging station, the navigation system also provides the driver with a list of recommended nearby hotels, restaurants, cafés, tourist attractions and cultural institutions. Charging station availability can also be checked using the vehicle display and operating system. The driver receives the information along with a forecast of the occupancy status of the public charging station at the time of arrival. In addition, selected charging stations can be reserved for a limited period in the future.

Note: All figures relating to driving performance, fuel consumption. emissions and range that appear in this press folder are provisional.

The figures for fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and power consumption are calculated based on the measurement methods stipulated in the current version of Regulation (EU) 2007/715. The information is based on a vehicle with basic equipment in Germany; ranges take into account differences in wheel and tyre size selected as well as optional equipment and can change during configuration.

The details marked * have already been calculated based on the new WLTP test cycle and adapted to NEDC for comparison purposes. In these vehicles, different figures than those published here may apply for the assessment of taxes and other vehicle-related duties which are (also) based on CO2 emissions.

For further details of the official fuel consumption figures and official specific CO2emissions of new cars, please refer to the "Manual on fuel consumption, CO2 emissions and power consumption of new cars", available at sales outlets, from Deutsche Automobil Treuhand GmbH (DAT), Hellmuth-Hirth-Str. 1, 73760 Ostfildern-Scharnhausen and at http://www.dat.de/angebote/verlagspr...verbrauch.html.

Appreciate 1
mkoesel7505.50
      11-15-2018, 09:45 AM   #2
________
________
Rep
Drives: ________

This is a very sensible solution. Would work perfectly for me, the range is greater than my commute and the gasoline engine allows for long trips. Awesome
Appreciate 4
RPiM52855.50
hans007604.50
CQVD33051.50
      11-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #3
Miko M
///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C. 2020 X3M

That range would be perfect for me because mine work is only 3 mil away
One dilemma, ones you are in M car you never won't to get out and drive something else. Lol

I am from Europe and mine English is not the best.
Basically mine commute is very short which could benefit having short electric range.
But driving M car would be hard to go back to none M. Unless I just buy it for fun.
That's the best I can explain. Lol
///M TOWN13117.00
Remonster821.00
FLOSS M385.50
      11-15-2018, 09:58 AM   #4
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
One dilemma, ones you are in M car you never won't to get out and drive something else. Lol
Until BMW M makes an Electric ///M-Car.
      11-15-2018, 10:02 AM   #5
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Awesome! This is what a Hybrid should look like, normal.

I just drove the new 5 Series with eDrive at this years 2018 NYC's Ultimate Driving Experience and I'm a tell you it drives amazingly smooth and you would never know that is it a hybrid besides that it slightly quieter. And we drive those cars hard, they are exceptionally capable. With everything running optimally it can get up to a whopping 72 miles per gallon.

I do not own one but after test driving it hard on the track, it is definitely capable. And I definitely recommend it to anyone interested in purchasing it or leasing it!

Good on you BMW for making a good product.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
Jason40290.50
Remonster821.00
clee1982796.00
      11-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #6
ASalgar
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3

Was hoping for at least 50 miles of range
Appreciate 3
///M TOWN13117.00
RPiM52855.50
jmg18493.00
      11-15-2018, 10:15 AM   #7
j1980mac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

Gutless.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #8
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: iXM60, i8 Rdstr, M4, i7 M70

Need... More... Range...
Appreciate 4
JustChris17423.00
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-15-2018, 10:23 AM   #9
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Just need a touring version now
Appreciate 2
DCG780.50
      11-15-2018, 10:25 AM   #10
Saphirschwarz
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2

Why so slow though ?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #11
///M TOWN
Rep
Drives: M GmbH

Garage List
2018 M2  [8.78]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphirschwarz View Post
Why so slow though ?
Because it's heavy.
      11-15-2018, 10:51 AM   #12
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

so is the 252hp including the Xtraboost? same with the 0-60 time.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #13
EL Jeffe 5
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: CBR1000RR

Thanks for posting
      11-15-2018, 10:57 AM   #14
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko M View Post
+1 Very good point!

Unless the hybrid system resembles Porsche 918 Spyder with all-wheel drive, electric motors on the front axle sending power to both front wheels completely independent of the rear powertrain, and M level horsepower. That would be interesting enough for me.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:12 AM   #15
ted99
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: former i3>330e, 528i>X5>530e

I think this is the optimum range. I traded an i3 for the current 330e because of the coal-cart-like ride of the i3. I have an at-home charger and the current 14 mi electric range is good for 90% of my driving. 37 Mi will be adequate for 100% of my local driving. On a 2000 mi trip to the BMW one-day school, I got 45MPG with no en-route charging at an average speed of 80.1 MPH according to the trip computer. (The white 330e is an excellent stealth car). The disadvantage of a PHEV is that one is carrying around an ICE and a battery. But, it is an optimum answer if you need a long-trip car, but have reasonably short local travel. More electric range is more weight so it's necessary to find an optimum balance. I think the 14 mi of my current 330e is too little, but 37 miles is pretty much perfect. I have the use of an all-electric car for almost all of my use and still have a VERY economical car for trips. As to performance, I've owned a Nissan GT-R, Porsche 991.1 and BMW V-8 5 series. To be frank, unless I was doing a DE (167.2 mph in the GT-R at the 2010 Texas Mile), I never used the capability of those cars in normal use around the streets of Harris County. But, in the usual stoplight grand prix, I am always first off the line and many car lengths ahead by the time the speed limit is reached in my 330e. It is a VERY useful traffic darter. My wife drives an X5 40e PHEV and it does about 50% of her local driving with it's 14 mi electric range. I may get her the new all-electric X3 as a replacement and the new 330e for me. Since this will be my trip car, I may go for the larger LCI 530e if it has the new 37 mi range (which I think is highly likely). Both of these cars fit with my two leases that toll in 2020. I want her in a high ground clearance vehicle because her usual route has her through several intersections that flood 12" in the heavy Houston rainstorms with poor drainage.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #16
upsidedownfunnel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by evanevery View Post
Need... More... Range...
Why? Most commutes are just around the 35 mile range. If it's slightly longer, you'd use a small amount of fuel per day. If it's less, you'd never use fuel.

When you want to go on the occasional long road trip, you're good to go since you have the gasoline engine. You never have to worry about having to charge up the car's battery like in a long range EV with no ICE motor. A bigger battery would also cost more, use more resources, and weigh the car down. You carry all the weight of a battery at all times, whether charged or not.

There's a use case for a lot of cars, and currently for most people in the market for a 3 series, this car is the ideal compromise between pure EV and pure ICE car.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2018, 11:35 AM   #17
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

1.7ltr/100km is pretty impressive. We are talking almost 138 USMPG. Granted that's with mixed hybrid use, but still pretty impressive on its own.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 1
Powaup1252.00
      11-15-2018, 11:48 AM   #18
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by upsidedownfunnel View Post
Why? Most commutes are just around the 35 mile range. If it's slightly longer, you'd use a small amount of fuel per day. If it's less, you'd never use fuel.

When you want to go on the occasional long road trip, you're good to go since you have the gasoline engine. You never have to worry about having to charge up the car's battery like in a long range EV with no ICE motor. A bigger battery would also cost more, use more resources, and weigh the car down. You carry all the weight of a battery at all times, whether charged or not.

There's a use case for a lot of cars, and currently for most people in the market for a 3 series, this car is the ideal compromise between pure EV and pure ICE car.
I had a Volt (48 mi) as my daily driver... A Tesla Model-X (250 mi) is currently my daily driver... I also have an i8 Roadster (20mi) as my summer toy...

200+ miles is where its at. I also have a very short commute so the Volt met my NEEDS. But the 200+ miles of the Tesla means I pretty much don't even have to THINK about range. ...and if I forget to plug her in at night its not a big deal.

Its not so much that 35 mi might meet many people's needs, it about the fact of the matter that the rest of the industry is doing so much better. When all I had was 48 that was great, but now that much longer ranges are easily available in so many vehicles, it would be very hard to go back.

BMW is still very far behind the rest of the industry. Although I'm really waiting for them to deliver something really compelling, this, unfortunately, is not it...

The i3 continues to extend its range (117 mi) and actually is more compelling than this vehicle (IMHO)...

Last edited by evanevery; 11-15-2018 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      11-15-2018, 11:49 AM   #19
Die ///M Rakete
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 ZCP 6MT

Just a step forward but it's progress nonetheless.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #20
evanevery
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die ///M Rakete View Post
Just a step forward but it's progress nonetheless.
10-4, I'm with you!

I'm still hoping BMW will start leading the charge at some point... Audi is about to clobber them (and maybe many others) with the eTron.

Nice looking car though...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #21
DFR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Evo IX MR/X5d w/Adaptive Drive

Range is an improvement but I was really looking for BMW to put forward a better Tesla competitor by 2020. Just put out a 3 series with 200 mile range and take my money!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2018, 11:58 AM   #22
petehuse
petehuse
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3M40i, '11 335, '06 Z4MC

driveline

I missed the mention of whether it is FWD, RWD, AWD?
Appreciate 0