Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions M340i quarter mile time measured at 12.6s by Carwow

01-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #199
Transfer
Major General
Rep
Drives: Bronco Wildtrak, Tesla MYP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dscharrer View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
For straight line speed sure you will probably be able to spend <$1000 and possibly get to M3 levels but is straight line speed all you care about? Might want the brakes, suspension, steering, and transmission dynamics to match. If price delta is $20k (on the high end) the M3 is well worth the total package plus keeping your Powertrain/drivetrain warranty. If you're spending upper $60s and thinking you're getting an M3, make sure you debadge the 40i to look the part as well.

The M340i will be a fantastic car but don't be silly.
You won't even be able to use the M3 brakes and suspension for anything other than a track. For everyday driving the acceleration is all I care about. M3 is bragging rights on a track only. There are so many cars on the road that can't even be used to their full potential for everyday use (600-700hp cars). Tuned M340i will get M3 acceleration and everyday practicality without spending an extra $20k you can barely use.
So why do you need a 450 hp 340i on the street? Buy a 330i and call it a day. Bam you saved $30k+. If you tune to 450hp are those M sport brakes up to the task of your 140 mph on the street?

I use my M car to a big chunk of its potential on the street and will continue with a G80. Don't get me wrong I also like the M340i but it's not the same no matter the state of tune. People have been doing this with 335i and M3 forever.
Appreciate 1
M370z175.00
      01-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #200
dscharrer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 SB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transfer View Post
So why do you need a 450 hp 340i on the street? Buy a 330i and call it a day. Bam you saved $30k+. If you tune to 450hp are those M sport brakes up to the task of your 140 mph on the street?

I use my M car to a big chunk of its potential on the street and will continue with a G80. Don't get me wrong I also like the M340i but it's not the same no matter the state of tune. People have been doing this with 335i and M3 forever.
I agree with you but I think the M340i is the closest a standard 3 series has ever been to an M3. I'm all about bang for buck and will gladly tune and mod to get almost the same as the performance model. I'd do the same if I got a 2019 c43. Could easily tune to stock C63 (non S) but you're right I would be lacking in some areas but I'm ok with that.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 09:53 AM   #201
MT4life
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i: Last MT 3er in US

Quote:
You won't even be able to use the M3 brakes and suspension for anything other than a track. For everyday driving the acceleration is all I care about. M3 is bragging rights on a track only. There are so many cars on the road that can't even be used to their full potential for everyday use (600-700hp cars). Tuned M340i will get M3 acceleration and everyday practicality without spending an extra $20k you can barely use.
Completely agree.
I chuckled at that comment, 140MPH on the street, what are you 12
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 10:45 AM   #202
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Completely agree.
On the street it's all about 0-60, 30-60, and how much traction can I get at any given moment.
Appreciate 1
MT4life575.50
      02-01-2019, 11:58 AM   #203
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxis218 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MT4life View Post
Completely agree.
On the street it's all about 0-60, 30-60, and how much traction can I get at any given moment.
I see a Tesla in your future
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 02:05 PM   #204
praxis218
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M4ster Yoda View Post
They're going to have to pry these dinosaur fossil fuel cars from my cold dead fingers.
Appreciate 1
      02-01-2019, 04:44 PM   #205
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
Do you think the M340i will be tuneable to the mid 400hp to match standard M3?
I heard there will be 3 versions of new M3. Pure (RWD) - 425hp, Xdrive - 475hp, and competition - 500hp.

If so, that'll be very similar performance as M3 for $20k less.
It will be easily capable of 450hp. Also 550hp, or 900hp. The only time it becomes difficult is when the money runs out!

But in performance terms overall, nope. Give it 100hp more than the M3 and it won't beat the M3 around a track, or in the real world.

There comes a point that you have to accept the M3 is the result of millions of £/$ spent to maximise the potential of the standard car. If you don't have that budget, you are not going to get an overall better result.

Please know that I'm in no way taking away from those that do chase horse power. It's your money, if that's what you love, go for it. But there is more to a true 'M' car than on paper power figures.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 04:53 PM   #206
movietub
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330d M-Sport Touring, Black.

Quote:
I keep saying the same to so many people - but there is also a reality in which I'm far from confident Tesla or anyone else can even come close to making the batteries required to make all cars electric. Or.. even 2% of cars electric.

Fact is, anyone who has ever pulled the trigger on a slot car will know that electric power is so instant that fossil fuel can't compete. In less than a decade since Tesla started, affordable electric cars are capable of super-car crushing performance. But, also another slightly awkward fact is that no one is able to produce them fast enough!!

All I know is that after my current IC car, I will probably go electric as I simply can't afford to lose money on the future value of another IC car beyond that point. Also, what is wrong with electric? We're BMW drivers, fans of performance... BMW have invested massively in their electric future, I'm feeling the same way
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2019, 05:01 PM   #207
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by movietub View Post
Quote:
I keep saying the same to so many people - but there is also a reality in which I'm far from confident Tesla or anyone else can even come close to making the batteries required to make all cars electric. Or.. even 2% of cars electric.

Fact is, anyone who has ever pulled the trigger on a slot car will know that electric power is so instant that fossil fuel can't compete. In less than a decade since Tesla started, affordable electric cars are capable of super-car crushing performance. But, also another slightly awkward fact is that no one is able to produce them fast enough!!

All I know is that after my current IC car, I will probably go electric as I simply can't afford to lose money on the future value of another IC car beyond that point. Also, what is wrong with electric? We're BMW drivers, fans of performance... BMW have invested massively in their electric future, I'm feeling the same way
I was just messing with him. He seemed to be only interested in 0-60 times. That's why I said I see a Tesla in your future. Truth is electric cars DIE out up top and can't compete performance wise with ICE cars. All they have is 0-60 then they are toast. Destroyed on the track as well after a few laps. I don't see an electric car in my future if I can help it.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #208
WorldBFree
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

So what is wrong with electric?

Since you asked the question ....

Let’s start with the as yet unsolved and not even in discussions yet elephant in the room ... we have an electrical grid/infrastructure working at capacity to supply homes & buildings with their current needs. If we suddenly add several million cars plugging in everyday where does that power come from? Electric energy doesn’t come cost free out of our backsides like liberals & clueless politicians think it does.

And when we add this as yet unaccounted for drain onto the grid what happens to the cost of people’s monthly electric bill? You are going to force people’s grandparents that are living on fixed incomes to decide if they want to starve to death or freeze to death .... nice.

But that isn’t even the biggest problem. There is no demand for electric cars. What happens when u make cars nobody wants to buy? Go talk to Chevrolet about that. Somebody above posted that in 10 years since Tesla began sales of electric cars went from .14% to 1.14% I believe .... and this with substantial, heavy government subsidies and tax breaks because again, there is no demand.

I think a better question to be asking is what is wrong with ICE vehicles? When the time is right to phase them out the marketplace will do so naturally...until then vive the I6 petrol ICE !!
Appreciate 1
      07-31-2019, 11:52 PM   #209
stylinexpat
Major
Rep
Drives:

I was expecting the Supra to put down better 1/4 mile numbers 108-109 MPH but the new M340i puts down better numbers

Appreciate 0