Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions Picked up my new 330e - Fuel consumption and electric range tested

11-27-2019, 04:29 PM   #155
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e

I had a 2016 330e and how a 2018 530e. My reasons and approach are somewhat different. My reasons are to help protect the environment and to get me into the car pool lane. I don't care about MPG per se, just as somewhat of a proxy for the environment.

So I drive a lot of local driving in pure electric mode and when conditions permit, I give it exercise in auto mode. Essentially, I drive it like I hate it.

Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 04:51 AM   #156
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep
Drives: G11 730d M-Sport 2018

Some questions from hybrid novice!

I'm about to do a deal for a new 330e M-Sport, but I'm a bit apprehensive. I've always had diesels and know very little about PHEVs. I have a few questions!
1. How do you charge it? Can you use the cable that comes with the car and plug it into an ordinary outdoor 3 pin socket or must you get some kind of special wall charger? If so do you leave it plugged in overnight?
2. Does it cost much to charge it?
3. I live 10km from work and I come home for lunch every day. That's 40km per day. Could I make that commute on electric only?
4. On a long trip of say 300km, would there be any benefit in the 330e as opposed to 320d?
5. Is there sufficient power in the car?
6. Can the boot take a full sized suitcase?
7. What mode do you drive in?
8. What is the appropriate charging setting?
9. What is your overall assessment of the car, comfort etc?
Sorry for asking so many questions. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 10:46 AM   #157
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G20 330e

1. Yes 3 pin plug. Just a bit slower than dedicated charger 5 hours rather than 3-3.5.
2. 12kwh battery so if your electricity is 14p per kWh it will cost you 12x0.14=1.48.
3. Bmw suggest 60km. It depends on the route and speed, traffic etc
4. 280 miles the other day with one charge at home before leaving and the car returned about 56mpg (uk) sitting at 70mph which is equivalent to my previous diesel qashqai. On the flip side I did a day of about 24 miles and the ice didn't even fire up alll day so mph would of been good. It really depends on what your usual driving habits are.
5. 289 bhp. Even in eco pro mode it is plenty quick off the line (electric motor=instant torque)
6. Yes it is big enough just a bit smaller than a non e model
7. Eco pro unless there is a clear road to take advantage of xtraboost
8. What ever is appropriate to your electrical installation, mine charges at 13amp quite happily
9. Superb car, great fun and comfortable - it did take a bit of getting used to a low slung car like a 3 series after having a juke then a qashqai for the last 6 years.

Hope you find this useful
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:40 AM   #158
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

That was most helpful - thank you very much. Can you comment on the ride quality I can expect on an M-Sport with 18'' rims and passive M-Sport suspension?
Also is there any advantage in getting an EV Charging Point installed or is the domestic socket fine?
I'm going for Harman K sound system and the laser lights - mostly because I wanted HBA and it's not available as a stand alone option any more.
Also, if you get the cheap night-time electricity deal do you have to go out at midnight to plug in the charger or is there some way plugging it in earlier and timing it to start charging?
What model do you have?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 11:59 AM   #159
Jkwon
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckyarla View Post
That was most helpful - thank you very much. Can you comment on the ride quality I can expect on an M-Sport with 18'' rims and passive M-Sport suspension?
Also is there any advantage in getting an EV Charging Point installed or is the domestic socket fine?
I'm going for Harman K sound system and the laser lights - mostly because I wanted HBA and it's not available as a stand alone option any more.
Also, if you get the cheap night-time electricity deal do you have to go out at midnight to plug in the charger or is there some way plugging it in earlier and timing it to start charging?
What model do you have?
What model do you have?

I have 18" rims and passive suspension on an msport 330e I think the ride is fine and intact is better in some respects to the qashqai, potholes can be jarring if you don't see them but ride is fine once you get the seat set.

Only advantage to an EV socket is to take advantage of the OLEV grant from govt, who knows how long that will be available- and if your next car will be an ev?
I could t justify the extra cost just for for hba, I would of however paid an extra £200 for that rather than the laser package. Standard speakers are fine in my opinion.

I don't have a cheap over night tarriff I think some others do, tricky6 being one. But no you plug the car in when you get home and set it to charge between certain times in the connected app and it will charge between them times.

330e Msport mineral grey with mocha interior. Driving assistant pro is a godsend.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2019, 01:31 PM   #160
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Thanks again. I’m looking at Portamao with Mocha and aluminium mesh and adaptive cruise.
Appreciate 1
      11-28-2019, 01:57 PM   #161
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

Get whatever pack has the HUD, must have
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2019, 05:36 AM   #162
Eagle Creek
Part of the bimmer family!
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: BMWG20; BMW E90

Garage List
2019 G20 330e  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm about to do a deal for a new 330e M-Sport, but I'm a bit apprehensive. I've always had diesels and know very little about PHEVs. I have a few questions!
1. How do you charge it? Can you use the cable that comes with the car and plug it into an ordinary outdoor 3 pin socket or must you get some kind of special wall charger? If so do you leave it plugged in overnight?
2. Does it cost much to charge it?
3. I live 10km from work and I come home for lunch every day. That's 40km per day. Could I make that commute on electric only?
4. On a long trip of say 300km, would there be any benefit in the 330e as opposed to 320d?
5. Is there sufficient power in the car?
6. Can the boot take a full sized suitcase?
7. What mode do you drive in?
8. What is the appropriate charging setting?
9. What is your overall assessment of the car, comfort etc?
Sorry for asking so many questions. Any advice would be much appreciated.
1. Leave it in overnight. You can use 230 wall socket or dedicated mennekes 3 pin. First one is limited to 10A, mennekes 16A.
2. Look it up, depends on your provider. Cheaper than petrol.
3. Yes! I do average of 45- 50 in current weather conditions km single trip. Two charges a day.
4. Not too much I'd say since it doesn't speed charge.
5. Yes if you are talking about HP.
6. DEFINE full size.. It's deep but nog tall.
7. Hybrid Eco pro.
8.??
9. Awesome. Electric ride quality is super smooth.
      12-03-2019, 04:54 AM   #163
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Nick View Post
Just got back from a 72 mile round trip.

38.8 miles (62.4km) electric in Hybrid Eco Pro mode!

Quite impressive considering it fully depleted the battery on the first leg (around 26 out of the 36 miles)
If it fully depleted the battery after 26 miles, how did you do 38.8 on electric?
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2019, 07:05 AM   #164
safcraft
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
If it fully depleted the battery after 26 miles, how did you do 38.8 on electric?

He did 26 miles uphill, and then came back home again downhill
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:13 PM   #165
kinu93
Rep
Drives: BMW 330E G20

Unhappy 330e g20 ev charging issue

please someone help
I have bought new BMW330E M SPORT G20
last week
however unless I am going mad
I been charging daily for the last five day, the cockpit say 100% charged once fully charged, however it say range only 22 miles only - everyday same after full charge
the car specs say it 37miles- I understand you never get this however expecting at least 30 mile - I am doing some thing wrong or is there a fault with new car.
I have been driving like a granny to get maximum range.
please someone help
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:50 PM   #166
kinu93
Rep
Drives: BMW 330E G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
Had mine since Friday, charging at the moment and it will reach 24 miles with 1 charge, so not quite the 37 miles advertised, I was expecting somewhere nearer 30 miles...
OMG i am in London and i bought mine 330e g20 M sport two weeks ago
i am getting exactly the same result 22 - 24 mile after a full charge
how can this be if i charge it to 100% it should give you at least 30miles.
right?
i am driving slow and on all electric
i travel total of 30 mile to and back from work
if only i can get 6-8 mile more
does anyone have solution - can BMW getaway with this?

Last edited by kinu93; 12-04-2019 at 06:54 PM.. Reason: GRAMMER
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 06:02 AM   #167
safcraft
Rep
Drives: 330e G20

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinu93 View Post
OMG i am in London and i bought mine 330e g20 M sport two weeks ago
i am getting exactly the same result 22 - 24 mile after a full charge
how can this be if i charge it to 100% it should give you at least 30miles.
right?
i am driving slow and on all electric
i travel total of 30 mile to and back from work
if only i can get 6-8 mile more
does anyone have solution - can BMW getaway with this?
There is nothing wrong with your car, this sounds about what i and others are getting. If you drive around the city like i do, with traffic lights and jams, with small trips of 10-15 each time you will get the 24miles on eletric.

If you want more, turn the climate control OFF, turn the lights OFF, the driving aids OFF and drive like a granny at 50mph in a straight freeway with no uphills and you will get the 37 miles autonomy like others have posted here in one single trip.

But what is point on buying a 290bhp car with M Sport pack to drive like that ? You should have bought a i3 or a Nissan Leaf if you wanted to drive granny style and pure eletric all day long.

Just enjoy your car, for what it is. A fast beautiful car with a roaring engine (love the sound of the revs) that can be tamed down to cruising eletric silence whenever you wish. I know I DO.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #168
sd_dracula
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330e

When I use my car in local traffic the range goes way down also so if you have lots of start-stop traffic on your commute you won't get what other are.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2019, 09:49 AM   #169
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by safcraft View Post
There is nothing wrong with your car, this sounds about what i and others are getting. If you drive around the city like i do, with traffic lights and jams, with small trips of 10-15 each time you will get the 24miles on eletric.

If you want more, turn the climate control OFF, turn the lights OFF, the driving aids OFF and drive like a granny at 50mph in a straight freeway with no uphills and you will get the 37 miles autonomy like others have posted here in one single trip.

But what is point on buying a 290bhp car with M Sport pack to drive like that ? You should have bought a i3 or a Nissan Leaf if you wanted to drive granny style and pure eletric all day long.

Just enjoy your car, for what it is. A fast beautiful car with a roaring engine (love the sound of the revs) that can be tamed down to cruising eletric silence whenever you wish. I know I DO.
+100 Drive it like you hate it.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #170
BMW 330E M-Performance
Private
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW i4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveinArizona View Post
+100 Drive it like you hate it.

New tune time for the car this will be fun
https://sv.bsr.se/trimsatser/t/4409/...2020-b48-b20-b
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:08 AM   #171
pferraz34
Registered
Rep
Drives: G20 BMW 330e

I cannot achieve the advertised electric range in my 330e

I've had my 330e for the past month and a half. BMW claims that the electric motor has a range of 60 km/37 miles. I'm consistently getting 32-33km/19-20miles of range.

Is anyone else getting less than the advertised range? Is there a problem with my car or is it just that big of difference between numbers claimed and actual numbers?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 06:33 AM   #172
-Nick
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It all depends on the type of journey and the mode in use. Typically electric only mode will only get 19-20 miles on short journeys.

Hybrid mode will eek about 30-35 miles on a longer run.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 07:55 AM   #173
DomMuc
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G87 M2

the range depends on maaaaany different things... here just a few..
tire pressure, outside temperatue, wich type of street you a driving on, uphill/downhill, electric systems in car switched on ( Heater/ Radio etc)
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:17 AM   #174
SteveinArizona
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomMuc View Post
the range depends on maaaaany different things... here just a few..
tire pressure, outside temperatue, wich type of street you a driving on, uphill/downhill, electric systems in car switched on ( Heater/ Radio etc)
+ how you drive. Are you leadfooted (at one end) or hypermiling (on the other hand)? Do you do local trips or long highway trips? Do you recharge during the day? All these impact on your range.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 08:33 AM   #175
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

The Electric Vehicle Database gives 20 - 35 miles, for the 330e, depending on driving conditions and use. As has been stated, individual EV range depends on a lot of factors.

BTW, BMW claim nothing, WLTP test regime (Europe/UK) dictates what figures are published for any particular vehicle. So any figures are what is achieved under official test conditions.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2019, 09:47 AM   #176
Chuckyarla
Captain
Ireland
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkwon View Post
What model do you have?

I have 18" rims and passive suspension on an msport 330e I think the ride is fine and intact is better in some respects to the qashqai, potholes can be jarring if you don't see them but ride is fine once you get the seat set.

Only advantage to an EV socket is to take advantage of the OLEV grant from govt, who knows how long that will be available- and if your next car will be an ev?
I could t justify the extra cost just for for hba, I would of however paid an extra £200 for that rather than the laser package. Standard speakers are fine in my opinion.

I don't have a cheap over night tarriff I think some others do, tricky6 being one. But no you plug the car in when you get home and set it to charge between certain times in the connected app and it will charge between them times.

330e Msport mineral grey with mocha interior. Driving assistant pro is a godsend.
If I come home at 6pm and pug the car in, can I set it to start charging at say for example 1am and keep charging until it's done or do I have to set a specific end time as well? If so, how will I know when it's fully charged? What about pre-heating in the morning - would that not eat into the charge before I even start my journey?
Appreciate 0