Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) General G20 Sedan / G22 Coupe / G26 Gran Coupe Discussions G22 4 Series: M440i RWD Confirmed. New Colors: San Remo Green, Arctic Race Blue

09-30-2019, 08:59 AM   #67
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I think it all comes down to the actual naming... If you see an Audi with an S5 badge for example, no one will mistake it for an RS5; it's a hard cut-off. Where if you see a car with the M340i badge, it's a lot easier to mistake it for a proper M3 where the lines are blurred a bit more because that ///M is the same on both cars... Audi does this game best where BMW and Merc seem to sell out their skunkworks brands a bit more with regards to badging.

Again, it's not terribly important but I do see the issue some have.
2015 F80 M3 DCT | Tanzanite Blue | Gold Brown (sold)
2013 E92 M3 6MT | Mineral White | Fox Red/Black (sold)
Appreciate 4
scrammer420.50
JustChris17483.00
pyrat15194.50
      09-30-2019, 09:35 AM   #68
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

You have to look at it from a German perspective.
M- Sport was conceived to give our sportier fleet expresses.
In the US they are luxury cars, but in Europe they are bought as fleet cars.
The 3er and 5er a slightly more sporting edge, not necessary in performance but also a sportier visual influenced by the M car.

It proved very popular that in many BMW models globally M Sport Packet outsells the standard model. Again customers like that more sportier visual appeal.

MPerformance was conceived to break the taboos that haunted BMW M. Diesel and All Wheel Drive In terms of customer demand.
M.Performance also had its largest success in Europe where legislation
Brought penalties on high performance vehicles.

The early M trifecta of M550d and X5/X6 M50d brought success to the brand because they were not taxed heavily and they offered high performance with less fuel consumption and emissions.

M Performance now caters for models that additionally do have an M model and those that don't. Some of the taboos have been broken but both cars are distinguishable with the M Performance highlighted by cerium grey brightwork on the M Sport compared to the sharper edged aerodynamics, wide tyres and detailing of its sister BMW M model.
And course a back to back Drive certainly reveals the considerable distance between the two.
      09-30-2019, 09:47 AM   #69
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: battery powered tv on wheels

That's a very longwinded way of saying "we wanted a piece of Audi's S car pie".
Appreciate 3
Sedan_Clan24971.50
bmrm396639.50
Pinkoboe226.50
      09-30-2019, 10:42 AM   #70
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
You have to look at it from a German perspective.
M- Sport was conceived to give our sportier fleet expresses.
In the US they are luxury cars, but in Europe they are bought as fleet cars.
The 3er and 5er a slightly more sporting edge, not necessary in performance but also a sportier visual influenced by the M car.

It proved very popular that in many BMW models globally M Sport Packet outsells the standard model. Again customers like that more sportier visual appeal.

MPerformance was conceived to break the taboos that haunted BMW M. Diesel and All Wheel Drive In terms of customer demand.
M.Performance also had its largest success in Europe where legislation
Brought penalties on high performance vehicles.

The early M trifecta of M550d and X5/X6 M50d brought success to the brand because they were not taxed heavily and they offered high performance with less fuel consumption and emissions.

M Performance now caters for models that additionally do have an M model and those that don't. Some of the taboos have been broken but both cars are distinguishable with the M Performance highlighted by cerium grey brightwork on the M Sport compared to the sharper edged aerodynamics, wide tyres and detailing of its sister BMW M model.
And course a back to back Drive certainly reveals the considerable distance between the two.
....but didn't the sport package (...a'la E46 era, etc.) accomplish that without the badge whoring? Even with the E46 ZHP, the merits of the car were apparent without having to throw ///M badges on the rear of the car, on the side fenders (...like the F3X), etc.
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
pyrat15194.50
      09-30-2019, 05:28 PM   #71
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynguldyn View Post
Agreed. And dont get me wrong, i respect and enjoy all Scott says here but i gotta think even hes tired of having to spend so much time rationalizing, explaining, and just down right having to make excuses for all this nonsense BMW has come up with lately. If you're doing things right as a brand, your products define themselves clearly - shouldnt need to march out all the marketing lingo so people "get it". They really have lost the purity that was well known throughout all auto consumers and revered by those who could never even afford one. Now theyre as much a combination of "well build whatever it takes to make money" along with "hey, throw that infamous letter M onto everything and charge more for it. Americans are stupid, no one will know the difference".

Sort of the definition of a sell-out (though im not sayin they are by any means just to be clear) ... only that many people who have been with the brand for decades (including myself) could see them as such in recent years.
pyrat15194.50
      09-30-2019, 05:32 PM   #72
mbanck
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 320ci, BMW F34 330dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
....but didn't the sport package (...a'la E46 era, etc.) accomplish that without the badge whoring? Even with the E46 ZHP, the merits of the car were apparent without having to throw ///M badges on the rear of the car, on the side fenders (...like the F3X), etc.
It was called "M Sportpaket" in germany, and it had a lot of M badges in the interior, just not the exterior. I wasn't around back then so don't know whether the M3 owners complained about the M logo on the stick and the steering wheel for non-M cars back then already.

Then BMW invented the lines (Luxury Line, Sport Line, M-Sport (Line?)) for the F3X, and they got a (deletable, in the EU) badge on the side fenders. In hindsight it might have been a clever plan for more M badges, or they just decided to highlght their new lines more prominently, not sure. But (at least in the EU) it wasn't just M badges.
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      09-30-2019, 05:44 PM   #73
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
Yes but we had M Sport Packets in the nineties.
Everybody followed.
      09-30-2019, 06:19 PM   #74
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Everybody followed.
Exactly: "packet" - as in "optional".

BMW used to say: you want a large motor - sure, it's $5K for the motor and also bigger brakes because we understand you're likely to drive more aggressively and we care about your safety. Everything else - please look at this brochure and let us know what you want.

Audi used to say: you want a large motor? Sure, we'll give it to you if you also pay us for a differently shaped bumper, random trim pieces, "S" stickers, and a special set of wheels (and whatever else there is, Audi people will know). All of that for $10K, please.

BMW looks at that and goes, hmmmmm, we're leaving $5K on the table for each sale of 335i or 545i that doesn't include ZMP, and that ZMP is a perfect money maker because we add just a bit of content there, and everything else simply replaces a standard part with a differently shaped M part, what can we do, hmmmm?

Enter M Performance.
Appreciate 2
JTO245271.50
pyrat15194.50
      09-30-2019, 08:14 PM   #75
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Sport pkg./ZSP: Upgraded wheels, Sport seats, steering wheel and suspension. ~$2k
M-Sport: ZSP + “Fake” M plastics and badges. ~$5k
M performance: M-Sport + bigger brakes and an engine tune. ~$10k.

I don’t really mind the M whoring part but ZSP was the sweet spot of all you need, nothing you don’t to a screaming value. That said I think the M550i is one the best values in BMWs lineup so not all of it is a rip-off. Sadly the M50i X5 did not follow the same value strategy.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 01:38 AM   #76
Fuller
Major
Rep
Drives: F36 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DML View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuller View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who's on first View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by paliknight View Post
///Marketing.

My cousins buddy texted him the other day saying he just bought a 2018 X4M. When he sent my cousin the photos, it was an X4 M-sport. My cousins buddy was adamant it was an X4M even though they hadn't existed yet.

Just an example of why Bmw does what they do.
...and Audi, and Mercedes, and.....! I still think that's a page out of the other manufacturer's playbooks that BMW should've ignored. The ///M brand whoring sucks.
I agree, but not really with Audi.

They have Sport Lines... but keep it separate better (IMO).

A5
S5
RS5

If you have an S5, you don't call it an RS5.
Audi has exhibited a bit more "Honesty" if you will with their badging. So far an RS is still an RS, no misleading fake labels.
And an M car is an m car. There are obvious differences between true m cars and m performance models, and anyone with an average IQ, that cares, knows the difference in badging and specs.
Not the point
You said Audi is more honest because an RS is an RS. I replied saying an M* is still an M* too, so what is exactly your point?
It's about BMW unnecessarily handing out "M" badges for cosmetic purposes. Have you noticed the steep price increase for these artificial automobiles?? Whatever, your opinion is all that matters
The M340 or M240 etc don't only have cosmetic differences though, there are also performance attributes that come standard. Like, the Audi S* models, they come standard with a different engine from the base models (with nearly an additional 130-150 hp), as well as more aggressive suspension tuning, limited slip diff, better brakes, different exhaust, among other things, including some cosmetic differences. Of course the price is higher, as it is with an Audi S* model, but we expect to pay a premium for these things.

If, however, you think that Audi is more in alignment with your values because they use an "RS" instead of an M to designate the full performance models, or use an S* instead of M*** to designate the sporty commuter car models, then go buy an S5 instead of an M340i, or an RS5 instead of an M4.

I'm still having a difficult time seeing your point about how Audi is different. If you don't want to elaborate, and bring me up to speed, I suppose I can live with that. Enjoy your RS5, or S5, or whatever you're looking for.
Never owned an Audi, never plan on driving an Audi. 8 bimmers since I was 18 shows my loyalty to the brand, just not satisfied with their current direction. A lot of this type floating around these parts
Your criticism was directed at how bmw applies their performance brand and badge though. It wasn't even directed at the product itself. It just struck me as a superficial criticism. Unfortunately, yes, there are many others here who seem fixated on the letter M in regard to bmw.

If you like the car, enjoy it. Who cares how it's badged, unless you specifically want a badge car. In that case an m-car wasn't the best choice anyway. The average non-enthusiast just sees a bimmer.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #77
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
///Marketing.

My cousins buddy texted him the other day saying he just bought a 2018 X4M. When he sent my cousin the photos, it was an X4 M-sport. My cousins buddy was adamant it was an X4M even though they hadn't existed yet.

...and Audi, and Mercedes, and.....! I still think that's a page out of the other manufacturer's playbooks that BMW should've ignored. The ///M brand whoring sucks.

A5
S5
RS5

Audi has exhibited a bit more "Honesty" if you will with their badging. So far an RS is still an RS, no misleading fake labels.
And an M car is an m car. There are obvious differences between true m cars and m performance models, and anyone with an average IQ, that cares, knows the difference in badging and specs.
Not the point
You said Audi is more honest because an RS is an RS. I replied saying an M* is still an M* too, so what is exactly your point?
It's about BMW unnecessarily handing out "M" badges for cosmetic purposes. Have you noticed the steep price increase for these artificial automobiles?? Whatever, your opinion is all that matters
The M340 or M240 etc don't only have cosmetic differences though, there are also performance attributes that come standard. Like, the Audi S* models, they come standard with a different engine from the base models (with nearly an additional 130-150 hp), as well as more aggressive suspension tuning, limited slip diff, better brakes, different exhaust, among other things, including some cosmetic differences. Of course the price is higher, as it is with an Audi S* model, but we expect to pay a premium for these things.

If, however, you think that Audi is more in alignment with your values because they use an "RS" instead of an M to designate the full performance models, or use an S* instead of M*** to designate the sporty commuter car models, then go buy an S5 instead of an M340i, or an RS5 instead of an M4.

I'm still having a difficult time seeing your point about how Audi is different. If you don't want to elaborate, and bring me up to speed, I suppose I can live with that. Enjoy your RS5, or S5, or whatever you're looking for.
Never owned an Audi, never plan on driving an Audi. 8 bimmers since I was 18 shows my loyalty to the brand, just not satisfied with their current direction. A lot of this type floating around these parts
Your criticism was directed at how bmw applies their performance brand and badge though. It wasn't even directed at the product itself. It just struck me as a superficial criticism. Unfortunately, yes, there are many others here who seem fixated on the letter M in regard to bmw.

If you like the car, enjoy it. Who cares how it's badged, unless you specifically want a badge car. In that case an m-car wasn't the best choice anyway. The average non-enthusiast just sees a bimmer.
Oh boy.......
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2019, 11:39 PM   #78
bobloblaw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
It makes sense to do it though. I remember when the E90 335i was competing with the S4 people didn't really comprehend it. If a casual shopper was cross-shopping these, they would probably assume the S4 was automatically better because of the S designation. Mercedes even has the 43AMG cars to compete with Audi S and BMW Mxx0i cars. So I can see why MB and BMW didn't want S4 vs c350 vs 340i.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 06:56 AM   #79
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
///Marketing.

A5
S5
RS5

Not the point

Oh boy.......
My reaction exactly when I have to read yet another post whining that there are too many models with "M" in the model number. Who gives a s*&#. You can't change it, so deal with it already.
Appreciate 1
      10-02-2019, 05:57 PM   #80
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
///Marketing.

A5
S5
RS5

Not the point

Oh boy.......
My reaction exactly when I have to read yet another post whining that there are too many models with "M" in the model number. Who gives a s*&#. You can't change it, so deal with it already.
We're discussing cars, only cars. Obviously you have issues that should be addressed, you're in the wrong place. Only advice I can offer is maybe for you to take a deep breath & back away from the keyboard, take care my friend and be well
Appreciate 1
pyrat15194.50
      10-02-2019, 07:42 PM   #81
mat9
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 428i

Are people really suggesting BMW should not cater to a segment of the market out of consideration to the ego of M car owners?
Could be done differently sure, but unless you want to go get a marketing/branding degree and apply for a job with them there isn't much else to do.
To help everyone sleep at night, also consider that the sale of all high volume cars being standard or m sport versions help keep the final price low on m cars which are fairly low volume models.
Appreciate 1
Fuller1216.50
      10-02-2019, 10:29 PM   #82
Fuller
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
///Marketing.

A5
S5
RS5

Not the point

Oh boy.......
We're discussing cars, only cars. Obviously you have issues that should be addressed, you're in the wrong place. Only advice I can offer is maybe for you to take a deep breath & back away from the keyboard, take care my friend and be well
I'm doing fine You should consider taking your own advice though. You're the one that's so concerned about how bmw markets it's products.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2019, 10:55 PM   #83
ynguldyn
Brigadier General
Rep

Is this really necessary?
Attached Images

Appreciate 11
mat9146.50
Fuller1216.50
JTO245271.50
Mavus2026.00
MmmmmM22586.00
JustChris17483.00
alex23642857.00
pyrat15194.50
      10-03-2019, 08:52 AM   #84
bmrm396
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3cs

Amen to that ^^^
      10-03-2019, 10:28 AM   #85
JSaid
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW M340i xDrive

Quote:
Everybody followed.
Audi took a piece of BMW’s M car pie
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2019, 01:21 PM   #86
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Quote:
Is this really necessary?
No
      10-18-2019, 04:50 AM   #87
pyrat15
Private
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1er M Coupé

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobloblaw View Post
It makes sense to do it though. I remember when the E90 335i was competing with the S4 people didn't really comprehend it. If a casual shopper was cross-shopping these, they would probably assume the S4 was automatically better because of the S designation. Mercedes even has the 43AMG cars to compete with Audi S and BMW Mxx0i cars. So I can see why MB and BMW didn't want S4 vs c350 vs 340i.
This seems comprehensible. I understand that there should be a category which is in between the regular BMW AG models and the BMW M GmbH models. (such as Audi "S"). However, the designation of those models is the thing that makes this discussion necessary, as "///M240i" is very similar to "///M2". I am also not a fan of adding the badge all over the car. A possibility would be to amend the ///M logo for those M Performance cars like VW does is with R and R Line. There, the "Line" is integrated to the logo so you know its not the proper R. (Although R Line is only an exterior package, the model which you could compare to BMW M Performance and Audi S would be the GTI).

For me this would be the best solution by creating an own logo for the M Performance brand. Opinions?

Last edited by pyrat15; 10-18-2019 at 04:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2019, 08:24 AM   #88
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

I'm still waiting to see what these colors look like.
Appreciate 0