Bimmerpost
/
4 Series
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2019+ BMW 3 AND 4-SERIES FORUMS (G2x Generation) Local Forums UK 2019 to 2022 330e comparison/observations

01-12-2023, 03:45 PM   #1
trent_engine
Rep
Drives: BMW G21 330e M Sport Pro

2019 to 2022 330e comparison/observations

Hi all,

I've just taken delivery of a 2022 330e M Sport Touring (LCI) after 3 years with a 2019 330e M Sport Saloon and thought I'd share a few observations:

Headlights
The Saloon I specced with Lazer Lights. The Touring I specced with the Visibility Pack. Don't believe what anyone tells you, if you had Lazer Lights before you will be disappointed with the Adaptive Matrix LEDs.

They just don't throw out anywhere near the same amount of light as the Lazers. Even at low speeds on dipped beam the amount of pickup of reflective surfaces in front of the car is non-existant compared to the Lazers. Notwithstanding that I was surprised to see the light units don't swivel either!

Acceleration and smoothness
Can't put it down to "new car" feel. The electric and engine pickup on the Touring feels noticeably quicker than the Saloon and the ride is a lot smoother too, particularly over bumps and small potholes. This must be true as the wife had even commented on it! The Saloon was running P Zeros, the Touring has arrived shed with Goodyear Eagle F1s. Possibly helping provide the difference?

Interior
Already got used to and liking the new gear selector. No cubby hole on the lower right hand side of the dash (fail BMW). Have soon got used to no seat heating and fan switches and the big screen really is great. HUD graphic design has changed and is an improvement on the 2019 offering. Interior ambient lighting has a couple more extra colours with a couple on the 2019 car being dropped. Still don't understand why BMW don't seem to be able to offer software where one can pick from a rainbow of colours but still nice to see something different.

Follow me home lights
2019 Saloon - headlights stayed on (or came on) for the desired set time. 2022 Touring seems unable to do this. Have to use the indicator switch to activate and headlights turn off when locking the car.

PDC Gong
Sound for front/rear PDC alert has changed and to quote the Mrs, now sounds cheap and shallow.

Key
2022 offering deffo feels cheap and nasty compared to the 2019 item. Very lightweight and plasticky with no alloy ended access key.

Hope some of that is of interest. Be interested to hear others views that have replaced earlier cars.

Currently trying to work out if there's a separate way of muting the volume. 2019 car muted with a press of the knurled rotary steering wheel control. Pressing it on the 2022 car gives you options on the HUD.
Appreciate 7
      01-13-2023, 07:15 AM   #2
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Nice update that!
I have the 40i version but still interesting to hear your views particularly about the ride. I had Eagle F1s on an F32 435i and were by far the smoothest riding and quietest of all my recent three cars (another F32 and two G22s). The only downside was the robustness of the sidewalls a but like cream cheese! ‘Lost’ two front tyres a couple of weeks apart through pothole damage and tyres only had a couple of thousand miles on them both.
Now on P Zeros after two stints with Bridgestones and they seem ok.
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2023, 07:29 AM   #3
Hofmeister Kink
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i M Sport 2022 LCI

Nice review.

- I suspect the ride comfort difference is due to the change in tyre brand (unless your saloon had runflats?)
- Laser lights get such a great review on this forum, would have specified them if available. A real pity they have fallen victim to BMW’s obsession with option rationalisation
- Liking the new gear selector too, very easy to get along with
- Agree on volume mute, was much easier to do this on steering wheel

Enjoy your new Touring!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2023, 10:49 AM   #4
Billy Cheeseman
Fender bender
Rep
Drives: Sky Grey 330e tour msport pro

has the key changed then ???
      03-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #5
Riccardog
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G21 320i Touring MSport

Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_engine View Post
... ride is a lot smoother too, particularly over bumps and small potholes. This must be true as the wife had even commented on it! The Saloon was running P Zeros, the Touring has arrived shed with Goodyear Eagle F1s. Possibly helping provide the difference?
Some members have complained about a harsh ride on their MSport 19" wheels. I'm on that setup, but with the Goodyears F1s and have not noted any harshness.

I do wonder whether in fact we are seeing some anedoctal evidence that the Goodyears are best tyres in terms of comfort?
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:24 AM   #6
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riccardog View Post
Interesting comparison, thanks for sharing.

Some members have complained about a harsh ride on their MSport 19" wheels. I'm on that setup, but with the Goodyears F1s and have not noted any harshness.

I do wonder whether in fact we are seeing some anedoctal evidence that the Goodyears are best tyres in terms of comfort?
That has been my experience having compared Goodyear to Bridgestone to Pirelli.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 10:55 AM   #7
TFP2000
Ireland
Rep
Drives: BMW G20 330e MSport Plus

that is interesting to hear about the Eagle F1s - I've had PZero run flats on my G20 330e and was never really happy with the ride - I live quite rural and unfortunately the roads can be horrendous and I've had a few replacements with bulges in the last 2 years.

I've a G21 330e - MSport LCI on order - was hoping to see it in March but now being told that it will be more than likely in May.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2023, 03:13 PM   #8
paulockenden
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330e xDrive Touring

F1s are *almost* (not quite) as good as non-RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2023, 01:30 AM   #9
willougs
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 330e

What is people's general real life experiences with wear rates on the F1s? Prior to collection of my car there was a great deal of chat about the Bridgestones lasting less than 10k miles in some cases.

Luckily (maybe) mine turned up with Pzeros and 29k miles later still have a couple of mm left, however need to think about replacing them soon.

I intend to stay with RFTs as the missus drives the car alot more than I do, and have had no real complaints with the ride quality. But wondering if the F1s are worth a go next time around.